Linked Notebooks

Guest Candy

Instead o f having to add a new notebook or put a whole notebook or note into one space, it'd be nice to just link a note or notebook. For instance as a teacher I have lesson plans in each subject's notebook. But I'd like to create a space for a school year and only put into that space that year's lessons. I'd also want to keep my organization in place so I can reuse lesson plans in a later year or multiple years. This would also allow for editing a note in one place instead of copying and having multiple versions.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Guest Candy said:

I'd also want to keep my organization in place so I can reuse lesson plans in a later year or multiple years. This would also allow for editing a note in one place instead of copying and having multiple versions.

A difference between notebooks and tags is that you can only assign one notebook per note;
multiple tags can be assigned to a note

If 2016, 2017, 2018 are tags
- a lesson plan note can be assigned all three years
- a student information note can be assigned all three years

I currently use my tags for years and terms, but not sure using tags translates to the new Spaces. Otherwise I wouldn't have a good use for the Spaces design without this format. Using it the way you propose wouldn't streamline the view in any way.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, phacademy said:

not sure using tags translates to the new Spaces

Sorry, I missed your requirement "space for a school year"
I'm not a Business user and don't use Spaces.  My understanding is it's a collaboration tool, and you pin Notes and Notebooks.  

Search/Views are not shared, but tags are still functional; users would continue to set up their own searches and shortcuts

If you're not a business user and aren't using the beta, why would you comment on the Beta testers forum? I thought this was the place to forward our concerns for using the new Beta. After using Evernote Premium for Business the last six years in our schools, I'm looking forward to implementing new features in collaborating with other teachers and student. This "Spaces" feature just needs to live up to it's potential.

On a side note - Deleting Spaces within the directory also needs to be added. As I've added a space for testing and now can't delete it, only "leave" it. Its still listed within the "Spaces Directory".

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, phacademy said:

If you're not a business user and aren't using the beta, why would you comment on the Beta testers forum?

I read and replied to a post about Linked Notebooks and reusing lesson plan notes
I'm not seeing this topic as specific to Business Accounts or Spaces/Collaboration

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback - this is one of the items we're working on. Stay tuned. If you're interested in participating in user research on this topic, please PM your details (and mention you're interested in talking about linking notebooks and notes into a Space)

• Level 5*
On 2/3/2018 at 11:40 AM, phacademy said:

If you're not a business user and aren't using the beta, why would you comment on the Beta testers forum?

Because Evernote are (at least considering) adding Spaces to the personal version as well: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/111610-why-are-spaces-available-in-personal-version/. So therefore, some of us non-Business users want to try to understand what they are because 1) they may be coming to our town, and 2) we can help explain them to other users who may ask questions about them here in the forums.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to go back a couple of versions?  This most recent version, even without using the beta Space thing, is a real bear.  I'm having problems with attached pdfs not being there.   I get an "o" in the sync column for each of the notes that have lost their attachment.  It is incredibly time consuming - opening each note gets the attachment back.  [ctrl]help\fix notes does it too, but again, it's stupid slow. 

I don't have time to debug this version of Evernote, and my clients are getting really tired of working for Evernote rather than getting their business work done.  We are all spending way too much time trying to work in Evernote.  It is no longer a helpful time saving tool.  There's talk of going back to paper and fax machines.....

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Fabulous Filing Friends said:

Is it possible to go back a couple of versions?

It depends on the device/platform.  I'm on a Mac and have no problem downgrading to previous versions.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Fabulous Filing Friends said:

I get an "o" in the sync column for each of the notes that have lost their attachment.

Do you have Enable on demand sync checked (Tools - Options - Synchronization)?  This generates an o in the sync column for any notes that have not been downloaded from the servers recently.  That would mean any PDFs in those notes have to be downloaded to be viewable.  In which case the system would be working per spec. 

If you don't want to wait for the download and have the disc space, uncheck this option and your note contents will download.  The timing until they are all downloaded would be a function of the size and quantity of notes you have.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, CalS said:

That would mean any PDFs in those notes have to be downloaded to be viewable. 

Just curious how the Note is displayed?  Would FFF have any other indication of this?

btw  That was a good troubleshooting catch FFF

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Just curious how the Note is displayed?  Would FFF have any other indication of this?

btw  That was a good catch for troubleshooting FFF

Not sure, I only use ODS on my older backup laptop and I don’t use it that often.  What I do remember is a pause like the one in IOS when accessing a note, the o in the sync column sets the expectation.

Blind pigs and acorns.  :) 

Archived