Handwriting as good as OneNote?

Mozzer181920

Idea

I can see this type of question being asked by many people, although I cannot find an answer from Evernote staff.

Evernote is brilliant, love it, used it for years, properly invested with regards my professional/personal workflow.

However I've now got more and more devices that use a digital pen, ie iPad, Surface, Note 8.

Microsoft's OneNote is terrible compared to Evernote with one glaring difference, their pen support is amazing! The rest is terrible. Evernote is a mirror of this, everything brilliant except the pen support.

Seems like Evernote are leaving themselves wide open to Microsoft, yet again, coming a long with a generally poor product that has one killer feature which starts to convert people whilst they play catch-up on the other features.

Evernote need to fix this problem, set expectations or wither....

• Thanks 1

5 replies to this idea

Thanks for the information. So do I take it from this that there is no Windows solution for Surface users? Specifically it's not useful to create hand writing in Evernote you cannot edit like you can in OneNote. I'd be interested to know why there's no plans to offer this feature given it's available on the iPad from Evernote themselves...ie Penultimate.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Evernote has an in-app sketch feature that can be used for handwriting.  The document is saved as an image file attachment

There's documentation at https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/06/23/6-ways-evernote-embraces-handwriting/ and https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/213493077-How-to-add-hand-drawn-sketches-to-Evernote-on-iOS-devices

An alternative is to use a dedicated editor that supports handwriting.  The document can be added to the note as a file attachment; in either native format or image/pdf format

On my iPad, I like to use the Notability app

I also use MyScript Stylus, an alternate keyboard that translates to text on the fly

• Like 1

just repeating the comments made already:  meanwhile with MS surface products and other windows powered convertibles there are many beautiful pen devices on the market. And we do not even have the rudimentary handwriting functionality like in the android version. a pitty!!  but careful the android version I do not use as the handwriting cannot be edited anymore.

So I really hope you are already working on the Windows version to include a proper handwriting capability.

Thank you!

2 years later, and I found this thread because of being dissatisfied with Evernote's handwriting support, and looking for other opinions.

I do believe that E. is still WAY inferior than OneNote in this regard. Just recently, I attended a presentation. With OneNote on my iPad and the Pencil, I could:

• take written notes (of course)
  • take pictures of slides, instantly resize and mark them, write notes next or under or over them, or wherever else I wanted
  • move ANY item (text, handwritten or typed, images, drawings) and put them anywhere else
  • and all in one long consecutive thread. No need for opening new pages, no need for working in another app etc.
  • All in all, OneNote works like a physical notebook, where you can write or draw what you want, where you want. With benefits of picture making, easy erasing of large items, moving items around etc. Really great.

Later on, I tried to simulate this at home, with Evernote, on my iPad. It absoultely drove me crazy. It doesn't even come close to the ease of use and convenience of OneNote.

I think it's long overdue for E. to improve in this field. Handwriting on computers and tablets is not going away, and is not descending.