Evernote for Windows 6.9 Beta 3

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi Folks - 

This week we're releasing version 6.9 Beta 3. You can download it here.This Beta brings some much requested fixes to drag + drop quality. You should now be able to drag and drop attachments from many more 3rd party apps including Outlook into Evernote. We're particularly interested to hear if there are other 3rd party apps that you use and are drag + dropping attachments and other content to Evernote where you'd like to see more fixes. 

In addition to drag + drop, we've also made a number of other improvements and fixes: 

• Fixed an issue where inline PDFs are blank when mail attachments are clipped to Evernote
  • Aligned 'New Note' button look + feel to other Evernote apps
  • Fixed an issue where links in PDFs don't open in a browser
  • Fixed an issue where ctrl+mousewheel doesn't zoom in/out
  • Fixed an issue where recording audio is sometimes not saved when switching notes
  • Fixed an intermittent issue where the view looks garbled when starting Evernote when offline
  • Fixed an intermittent issue where text note's thumbnails are black when using the Thumbnail view for the note list
  • Fixed an issue where High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF/HEIC) are not displayed in notes
  • Performance improvements for the notebook picker - especially when you have many notes + notebooks
  • Several crash and stability fixes

It also includes more improvements to sharing and organization for teams and businesses. You can learn more about the Evernote Business Public Beta here.
------------------------------------------------

Full Release Notes 

Release Notes for Windows version 6.9

Note: Versions 6.9 is supported in OS versions Windows 7 and up.

New

Spaces for Evernote Business users. Establish a shared organization for your teams' content — store your notes and notebooks in Spaces so they're all in one spot.

Improved & Fixed:

• Fixed drag and drop of files from some 3rd party apps into Evernote
  • Fixed an issue where inline PDFs are blank when mail attachments are clipped to Evernote
  • Aligned 'New Note' button look + feel to other Evernote apps
  • Fixed an issue where links in PDFs don't open in a browser
  • Fixed an issue where ctrl+mousewheel doesn't zoom in/out
  • Fixed an issue where recording audio is sometimes not saved when switching notes
  • Fixed an intermittent issue where the view looks garbled when starting Evernote when offline
  • Fixed an intermittent issue where text note's thumbnails are black when using the Thumbnail view for the note list
  • Fixed an issue where High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF/HEIC) are not displayed in notes
  • Performance improvements for the notebook picker - especially when you have many notes + notebooks
  • Several crash and stability fixes

46 replies to this idea

Do the notes still have those extra wide left and right margins?

In fact, it is the reason why I am still on 6.5.4. The big margins don't look good at all if you work with multiple notes opened in smaller windows.

I strongly vote for reducing the margins in the editor for the sake of readability and usability.

In Note Editor: do we really need another obstacle with the new line “Created by, edited by, shared with”? How often do you need this information while typing in a note? For me it's "never". Please, remove it. I know where to look if I need it. The screen is already overcrowded, give more room for editing.

2018-02-07 13_58_28-Interesting on the Web ⌘ - alx.kry@gmail.com - Evernote.png

• Evernote Expert

Chantal and team Evernote, apart from the Android client which is near flawless for me, the other clients are just terrible. Sure, the cross platform experience and stuff have evolved over time, the organizational tools have been great (no new features here for a long time)  but still the micro freezes and the app just randomly goes into a freeze state during a drag & drop or editing. 

Common guys, it's been years since you have been doing this. You have so much in you back yard. Did anyone even ask for a UI front end redesign for IOS 8.0. The IOS was working so fine and since 8.0 came out, even that has issues now. You are a note taking App at heart. You are ever-note, but do you know how painful is it to create a note? 

Insert a table and drag and drop a few images should not be more than a few seconds but it takes me a minute, or even more at times. 

And the much vaunted real time search in Evernote Windows still continues to haunt up several 10 seconds for me. (Last checked version 4.x was amazing). Since 5.x, the real time search in Windows does not work, and i think we are close to version 7 now. Thats almost 2-3 years. 

• Evernote Expert
18 hours ago, jefito said:

Curious. It's been working fine for me all along; I use this a lot.

No problems here, but I run all of my Evernote databases on SSD, and that might have a bearing.

Jefito, i understand you don't mean harm, but please when someone posts a genuine pain point here, please stop saying stuff like 'It works for me.. Etc'. Evernote is meant to work for all. We all love Evernote. I can't figure out a life without @evernote. But we also use other software right? Google docs.. Libre office.. Etc.. Do we have such naggy issues or freeze issues, as frequently as in Evernote? 

• Ex Employees
19 hours ago, Ethan Mings said:

The editor is still very hard to manage.

1. The *tab command for a bullet list does not work.
  2. It so slow to edit or create a note in.  I can hear my typing and watch for the editor to catch up
  3. I've tried things with the Automatically format text elements off, on and off.  Still no real improvement

Not sure what is happening with the editor.

It is frustrating.

1. If you try *space does that get you a bullet list? (Make sure the option is also checked in Tools > Options > Note > "Start a numbered list with "1." or a bulleted list with "* "

2. If you create a new notebook that is not shared and create a new note, is that new note still slow to create and type in? If you change your view to "Card View" (Ctrl+F6), does that help?

3. Do you have any notes that are larger amounts of text/attachments (i.e. 9,000+ words, a long clipped note etc)? You can click the view icon in the note list and then "Sort notes by"  and select "Size", then set the sort order to show the largest size notes first. This won't necessarily find the longer-worded notes, but it's a good place to start for the largest size notes and work down from there. Usually it's a note or notes that are longer appearing somewhere in the note list that cause the performance decrease. Finding that content and breaking it up should improve performance. If these steps don't help you discover the cause, please open a new support ticket and we'll take a closer look with you.

• Ex Employees
4 hours ago, Alex Krylov said:
  • First image is original web page clip.
  • Second — after “Simplify Formatting”
  • Third — after “Remove Formatting”

I suppose something is wrong. No formatting is removed, but some pieces of the text are changed a bit.

2018-02-07 17_20_26-All Notebooks - alx.kry@gmail.com - Evernote.png

2018-02-07 17_21_03-All Notebooks - alx.kry@gmail.com - Evernote.png

2018-02-07 17_20_51-All Notebooks - alx.kry@gmail.com - Evernote.png

When I clipped this as "Full Page", the original clip looks similar to yours.

When I ran Simplify Formatting on the note, it removed some of the extended layout of the page so it better fit into the note window (a few things appeared to move around) but the text in the note stayed as it was on the original website (Helmet 9).

When I un-did that setting and then ran Remove Formatting, the layout again changed a little to fit better into the note window as opposed to the original clip, and the text in the note changed to the default font (Segoe UI 10). Hyperlinks, headers, and images all stayed in the note.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:

Jefito, i understand you don't mean harm, but please when someone posts a genuine pain point here, please stop saying stuff like 'It works for me.. Etc'. Evernote is meant to work for all.

I'm certainly not trying to deny what you're seeing, just noting that it's not universal to all users. Sometimes that's useful information to others, including the developers. Remember, the point here -- particularly for a forum topic specifically about a beta release -- is to give Evernote information about what users are experiencing. 

As it is, keyboard lag has been reported by others, and there are some known things  to try that have helped some people (a web search on "evernote windows keyboard lag" can find these), but no definitive fix that I've seen. I believe that moving the database to SSD worked for me, but it doesn't seem to have helped others. There are some other potential remedies, but I didn't seem to need them, so I didn't pursue them.  No question that was intended to be instantaneous.

I'm not sure if this feature existed before, but it is very useful - double click on trash icon and note will be deleted permanently. :)

ScreenClip.png.17af5bb4014f68101c0f11892c5bdaf9.png

New button is great but I don't like too much compressed left panel.

Also, formatting again doesn't work and drag/drop FROM Evernote (eg. images) TO other apps or social networks like Facebook and Twitter doesn't work. Please, fix it 'cause it is important to us. 

On 5.2.2018 at 5:30 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

The font size is the same, but we made some small tweaks to the icon sizes to add more spacing between the items in the sidebar. In terms of the feedback though, I'm curious to hear you say the text seems undersized and would like to hear more. Are there other apps you use that you find have more appropriate sized UI? There's a balance we constantly try to play around providing as much space for content and balancing this around increasing font size and use of white space to improve scanability. We've been thinking about increasing some of our font sizes so do let us know if you think this is an issue relative other apps. 

A note: we are a DPI aware app like most of the built-in apps, so if you find that generally speaking the font sizes seem undersized across all apps in Windows 10 got to Settings > Display > Scale and layout and modify the "Change the size of text, apps and other items" on Windows 10 is a really useful setting. I use 175% scaling myself. 

Version 6.8 on the left, version 6.9 on the right

image.png.55595a65e1833e5a5755299281c7f5d3.png

@Chantal Leonard

Terrific piece of advice I may say to up Windows native scaling to 175 % instead of increasing native font size in the actual application. Honest, I shudder to think what you understand by dpi awareness.

Just glad to have some lesser-known companies such as Microsoft are not applying the Evernote way in their software. With a good-quality 30 inch monitor altering  Windows native settings to such an extent is probably alright but downright absurd with notebook size displays.

Of course as long as the "never-having-any-issues" influencers have their say normal users won't stand much of a chance. 

The editor is still very hard to manage.

1. The *tab command for a bullet list does not work.
  2. It so slow to edit or create a note in.  I can hear my typing and watch for the editor to catch up
  3. I've tried things with the Automatically format text elements off, on and off.  Still no real improvement

Not sure what is happening with the editor.

It is frustrating.

A suggested change--it is in this beta but has been there all along; figured posting here might increase chance of someone seeing it :).

When you use Note -> Share Note -> Send a copy, the last email address used is populated in the To line.  This is dangerous; it would make much more sense to either leave it blank, or populate it with the sender of the note (if there is one--that would be ~like "reply").

• Level 5*
On 2/7/2018 at 6:02 AM, Alex Krylov said:

In Note Editor: do we really need another obstacle with the new line “Created by, edited by, shared with”? How often do you need this information while typing in a note? For me it's "never". Please, remove it. I know where to look if I need it. The screen is already overcrowded, give more room for editing.

Others might be interested in it. I'd suggest a user option, maybe on the View menu under the "Editing toolbar" entry. Or put that information in the status bar, which 1) shows information for the current note, and 2) can be hidden. Down at the bottom of the display might be a better choice anyway, as it's more out of the way there than at the top.

• Level 5*

OK - new bug report.  As part of a new project I shared a series of clips from Facebook and Twitter on Android 6.0.1 to this version of Evernote.  Virtually all of them still say 'Clipping' after 4 hours.  One of them says 'failed'.  I'm currently going back over the URLs to reopen the pages and reclip.  It's somewhat frustrating to have to redo each one.  The Facebook clips were (mainly) from individual account Event pages via the FB 'share' button.  The Twitter clips were from the originator's own Twitter page as in this one.

Don't know whether FB and Twitter clips are generally u/s,  or my connection is having a glitch,  but reopening the pages is working at its normal speed as is clipping individually.

It's still taking a while...   :(

Edit:  Hmmn.  And now in a note created by Evernote Android Clipper and synced to the Windows Beta I'm getting -

Clipboard-1.jpg.400f030025b6735d526a98e1f261dd38.jpg

- when I click in the title line or try to select the 'clipping' icon in the body of the note.  Making new clips instead then... :(:(:(

Edit #2:  Just found an SMS message that I also shared to Evernote didn't arrive either...  shows 'Clipping...' like the rest.  Going to bed now!!  Cleanup in the morning.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

OK - new bug report.  As part of a new project I shared a series of clips from Facebook and Twitter on Android 6.0.1 to this version of Evernote.  Virtually all of them still say 'Clipping' after 4 hours.  One of them says 'failed'.

Is this a problem with the Android web clipper? The Windows web clipper? The WIndows client? If you try to view the notes in other clients (the web, Android, ...) what do you see?

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, jefito said:

If you try to view the notes in other clients (the web, Android, ...)

OK - calmer now (slightly) - rather frustrated yesterday to find a racing start to a new project turned into a dead end.  Windows desktop and web,  and Android phone and tablet (6.0.1 and 7.0) all show unanimous Clip Failed - now nearly 24 hours after the event.  You're right of course that this seems more like an Android Beta problem than the Windows Beta - though I don't remember having any other problems with sequential fails like this in recent clipping.  It may just be coincidence that upgrading in Windows is more recent than (AFAIK) upgrading the Android app.  I'll link my post in this thread to the Android thread just in case...

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

OK - calmer now (slightly) - rather frustrated yesterday to find a racing start to a new project turned into a dead end.  Windows desktop and web,  and Android phone and tablet (6.0.1 and 7.0) all show unanimous Clip Failed - now nearly 24 hours after the event.  You're right of course that this seems more like an Android Beta problem than the Windows Beta - though I don't remember having any other problems with sequential fails like this in recent clipping.  It may just be coincidence that upgrading in Windows is more recent than (AFAIK) upgrading the Android app.  I'll link my post in this thread to the Android thread just in case...

Thanks for reporting - the Android team is investigating! 

@Jay-Bob:

You're commenting on the reported behavior, which I would classify as a bug. 

Is your description a description how it _should_ work? Is this the new behavior? Because this behavior is much different than before,  and different than on other platforms. Yet, I find it still the same way in the release version....

• Ex Employees
18 hours ago, lhb said:

@Jay-Bob:

You're commenting on the reported behavior, which I would classify as a bug. 

Is your description a description how it _should_ work? Is this the new behavior? Because this behavior is much different than before,  and different than on other platforms. Yet, I find it still the same way in the release version....

Looking closer at the behavior across Mac, iOS, Windows, you are correct - it's a bug. 

Simplify Formatting should remove the clipped article's font type, font size, font color, and background html back to Evernote's defaults. All other formatting should be preserved.

When Simplify Formatting cleans up the background html of a web clip, it is expected to possibly see a slightly altered layout but it's goal is to try to change as little as possible of the original layout.

Our devs are aware of this and are working on getting Simplify Formatting back to what you expect. I do not have an estimate on when to expect this. 

In the meantime, while not ideal, please continue to work around this on Windows by either first clipping in "Simplified Article" or use "Remove Formatting" after the clip to get the formatting you expect.

Thanks for reporting this and sticking with it! Much appreciated.

Evernote 6.9.2.6423 (306423) Prerelease (CE Build ce-1.36.3494).

Windows 10 Home version 1709 OS Build 16299.125

I put files with "jpeg" extension into my Evernote import folder. It imported them. I opened the note, which showed the jpeg but rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise from what I had seen in the original file and from what I wanted. I right-clicked and selected "rotate clockwise" from the menu. There was some blinking and the picture disappeared and the note body had only the "Drag files here or start typing." text in it. The image disappeared both from the note panel and from the preview in the note list.

I did it with the second file. Same result. I re-imported the two notes, and used the "Duplicate note" feature to copy one of them. I then did the "rotate clockwise" on all three of them. In all three cases the jpeg file (the image) disappeared.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, wilsonch said:

Evernote 6.9.2.6423 (306423) Prerelease (CE Build ce-1.36.3494).

Windows 10 Home version 1709 OS Build 16299.125

I put files with "jpeg" extension into my Evernote import folder. It imported them. I opened the note, which showed the jpeg but rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise from what I had seen in the original file and from what I wanted. I right-clicked and selected "rotate clockwise" from the menu. There was some blinking and the picture disappeared and the note body had only the "Drag files here or start typing." text in it. The image disappeared both from the note panel and from the preview in the note list.

I did it with the second file. Same result. I re-imported the two notes, and used the "Duplicate note" feature to copy one of them. I then did the "rotate clockwise" on all three of them. In all three cases the jpeg file (the image) disappeared.

Yeah, I can confirm this in the current GA as well.  It seems to be only related to import the import folder.  If you drag the jpg to the note panel or add it to a new note it seems to work okay.

Thank you, Jay-Bob.

I have not used "clip simplified article", after once it introduced beautification by hardcoded tags into the ENEX file that couldn't be removed afterwards. I'm happy to report that "clip simplified article" now works fine. So that's a good workaround, provided you're clipping from Windows.

On a related note: There is some formatting dilemma with "Paste and Match Style". In the current version that seems to strip all formatting and hyperlinks, working basically as "Paste as Plain Text". This is not quite as I interpret "Matching Style", as I would expect some basic "styles" such as bold, italic, as well as hyperlinks being kept but represented in the currently active region or in the default. Other popular programs, such as the Office suite, do make that distinction offering separate "Merge Formatting" (which behaves like matching style) and "Keep Text Only".  Evernote, as I seem to recollect, has done some flip-flopping on the issue, and there were discussions about what meant what. On a practical note, if you have a note where you collect some "blocks" from the internet and you want to paste it into your note, you would like to be able to have both options. Sometimes you want to keep the hyperlinks, and it's not feasible to do a "simplifiying" operation subsequently, as it strips other formatting and highlighting that you may have done. Please consider addressing this practical point. I'd love to be able to do some practical editing within Evernote.

(Btw, note that the "simplify formatting" is only available for the whole note, on Windows, whereas in the old Web Interface it nicely works on the selection only". The Web version is much superior in that respect.)

• Level 5*

Bug report.

Again, this beta removed the reminder icon from my note header and replaced it with the share icon, at least that appears to be what happened.  Did the same thing with the previous beta, reported it there.

Out of the gate, the font of the Left Panel is too small. Yes, I can see more of it, but not at the expense of my eyes. If you are going to compress Left Panel at least give us the ability to select the font/size of the panel.  Just my two cents.

• Level 5*

Links to local Excel files are working again, thanks.  Dragging attachments to to EN is working again.  Still can't drag a PDF to another program, my view a major loss of function with the new PDF reader.

Ditto on font and icon size as well as line spacing in the left panel, displayed or not.   Okay, the new green note icon is a smidgen smaller, probably not even noticeable if you don't have the screens side by side.  But other things changed as well.  I use Windows and IOS and the notebook panels don't look alike in the first place.  New note button is on the bottom of the screen in IOS, though both now have a green icon.  With the other stuff broken with this beta string, why the cosmetics now?  <end rant>

ScreenClip.png.64e1d0cd75ec2c17812a2cf0cfa06300.png

• Level 5*

Random jumping to the top of the note list (side view) seems to be back (it went away for a while). Very annoying when you are trying to review large numbers of notes in a particular order. I am trying to make edits on 218 notes from a total of 20k notes.

I seem to have lost my custom dictionary with the latest update - this should not happen.

10 hours ago, keisoko said:

Out of the gate, the font of the Left Panel is too small. Yes, I can see more of it, but not at the expense of my eyes. If you are going to compress Left Panel at least give us the ability to select the font/size of the panel.  Just my two cents.

Is it possible to allow the user to determine the size of the side panel?  That would be helpful.

I reported in this forum problems with "Simplify Formatting" for an earlier beta. I'm now working with 6.9.5.6679 (306679) Prerelease (CE Build ce-1.39.4193).

"Simplify Formatting" does not seem to do anything or much.

"Remove Formatting" does now seem to do something like "Simplify Formatting" before, ie, it changes some formatting, but not to my default fonts, and it leaves all the hyperlinks in.

I'm still clueless about the directions of this, and what the intended directions are. I often clip from the Web and would like to convert the articles into my simple-to-read formatting with default font, leaving the hyperlinks intact, and I used quite successfully "Simplify Formatting" in the past, although in the last year or so titles and section headers were at different sizes in formatting with funky spacing that could not really been formatted further with any of the editing, something I attributed to upcoming changes in the editor that would ultimately support that kind of thing. Maybe along with the promised Markdown functionality.

Please try do define clear actions for "Simplify Formatting" and "Remove Formatting" and do keep those consistent.

*** Rant on

This year I celebrate (?) my 10th year as a prolific Evernote User. There were ups and downs in that time, but it's usable and does provide some good (search, tagging!!!) functionality corss-platform.

That said, in all those 10 years, in every single year, Evernote could have won my prize for the most miserable editing experience in all the applications I've ever used, be it Windows, or Mac, with the Android and iOS experiences a bit better, but those then are not really made for prolific editing. I don't remember at how many promises and failed attempts to fix this I've looked. As a former software develoepr, I do have to ask myself why it seems impossible to provide a decent editor. The one highlight has been a marked improvement in tables. Kodos to that developer, and I hope he's still with Evernote.

It boggles my mind to imagine that some people successfully use this as a note taking application, and it's not for a lack of trying!

I know that Evernote tries to differentiate themselves from competition like OneNote (which I'm using, but it really has a different target and no really useful tagging mechanism). I don't think Evernote will achieve that with yet-another revision of the iOS user interface (remember when you messed it up with the Forestall-like interface, and I still would like to congratulate Apple for showing him the door)? I'm not using Work-Chat either. Given the track and state of the editor, I would not recommend Evernote to a business unless in an attempt to get fired.

*** Rant off

My concern: Once OneNote has useful tagging and managent of larger document collections, you're history.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Ethan Mings said:

Is it possible to allow the user to determine the size of the side panel?  That would be helpful.

You can make it wider or narrower by dragging the right border. That's about it.

• Level 5*

My take on the new note panel is that I like it. Stylistically, I think that it looks a little cleaner and better integrated into the other UI. I don't need the New Note '+' button, and would hope that at some point I'd be able to remove it as I can remove other components of the panel.

Re the question why tinker with cosmetics when other stuff is broken?: I don't claim to know how Evernote's developer team is constituted, but in my experience, the team's members have different specialties and responsibilities. Yes, a team can work on different issues, simultaneously. Hey, for all we know, the left panel layout is just simply parameterized, and changing the layout is a simple task not taking much time y someone who focuses on UI aspects. That person may not be the same person that works on e.g., database or text editor issues. I'm fine with letting Evernote figure out how to manage their development tasks and priorities.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jefito said:

Yes, a team can work on different issues, simultaneously.

Yeah, get how the development process works.  Heck, I hardly ever have the left panel open, so not impactful to my use case.  I guess It's about the optics for me. 

With some of the issues that have arrived with this beta stream it is surprising that this change gets second bullet in the list.  No matter the effort required to make the change just seems to me a company would want to emphasize issue resolution as opposed to pretty.  Optics.

:(

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, CalS said:

With some of the issues that have arrived with this beta stream it is surprising that this change gets second bullet in the list.  No matter the effort required to make the change just seems to me a company would want to emphasize issue resolution as opposed to pretty.  Optics.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the list order. Nothing in the list is an obvious marketing bullet point such as a new feature would warrant; they're all just improvements and fixes. It could just be in the same order as the issues were resolved; hard to tell.  I'm thinking that optics matters a lot less for betas, too. Ultimately, though, the proof is in the pudding. Stability really, really matters;  if crashes stop and the data safety issues go away, then that's most important to me. My workflow is so dead simple that I could almost even do it in the web client. Almost.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

I wouldn't put too much stock in the list order. Nothing in the list is an obvious marketing bullet point such as a new feature would warrant; they're all just improvements and fixes. It could just be in the same order as the issues were resolved; hard to tell.  I'm thinking that optics matters a lot less for betas, too. Ultimately, though, the proof is in the pudding. Stability really, really matters;  if crashes stop and the data safety issues go away, then that's most important to me. My workflow is so dead simple that I could almost even do it in the web client. Almost.

No need to get circular on this (as he types more....)  ;)  

For me the number of issues of late, some painfully obvious, have triggered a higher level of vigilance and uncertainty.  And its not like the issues are limited to Betas.  Some folks have retro'd to 6.5 because of the editor format issues.  Still not addressed in these betas.  Teams gonna work on what teams gonna work on, just sharing an opinion that a green add note button and a match to a look and feel I don't know where it exists wouldn't be at the top of my list of ways to make a customer happy.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, CalS said:

For me the number of issues of late, some painfully obvious, have triggered a higher level of vigilance and uncertainty.  And its not like the issues are limited to Betas.  Some folks have retro'd to 6.5 because of the editor format issues.  Still not addressed in these betas.  Teams gonna work on what teams gonna work on, just sharing an opinion that a green add note button and a match to a look and feel I don't know where it exists wouldn't be at the top of my list of ways to make a customer happy.

+1 

To take a recent example, when a new general release broke Paste and Match Style, it was very annoying to see subsequent betas and general releases roll out new features (some of which were cosmetic and/or fringe) while the more core Paste and Match Style remained broken.

I get that improved functionality and cosmetics are important, but the existing user base relies on the existing feature set, so when those things break, that should be a priority. 

It's a bit like Excel releasing a new version that contains calculation errors. And in the subsequent version, the calc error remains, but nevermind that, check out all these new fonts! 

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Ethan Mings said:

The *tab command for a bullet list does not work.

Curious. It's been working fine for me all along; I use this a lot.

8 minutes ago, Ethan Mings said:

It so slow to edit or create a note in.  I can hear my typing and watch for the editor to catch up

No problems here, but I run all of my Evernote databases on SSD, and that might have a bearing.

22 hours ago, lhb said:

I reported in this forum problems with "Simplify Formatting" for an earlier beta. I'm now working with 6.9.5.6679 (306679) Prerelease (CE Build ce-1.39.4193).

"Remove Formatting" does now seem to do something like "Simplify Formatting" before, ie, it changes some formatting, but not to my default fonts, and it leaves all the hyperlinks in.

I'm still clueless about the directions of this, and what the intended directions are. I often clip from the Web and would like to convert the articles into my simple-to-read formatting with default font, leaving the hyperlinks intact, and I used quite successfully "Simplify Formatting" in the past, although in the last year or so titles and section headers were at different sizes in formatting with funky spacing that could not really been formatted further with any of the editing, something I attributed to upcoming changes in the editor that would ultimately support that kind of thing. Maybe along with the promised Markdown functionality.

Please try do define clear actions for "Simplify Formatting" and "Remove Formatting" and do keep those consistent.

*** Rant on

This year I celebrate (?) my 10th year as a prolific Evernote User. There were ups and downs in that time, but it's usable and does provide some good (search, tagging!!!) functionality corss-platform.

That said, in all those 10 years, in every single year, Evernote could have won my prize for the most miserable editing experience in all the applications I've ever used, be it Windows, or Mac, with the Android and iOS experiences a bit better, but those then are not really made for prolific editing. I don't remember at how many promises and failed attempts to fix this I've looked. As a former software develoepr, I do have to ask myself why it seems impossible to provide a decent editor. The one highlight has been a marked improvement in tables. Kodos to that developer, and I hope he's still with Evernote.

It boggles my mind to imagine that some people successfully use this as a note taking application, and it's not for a lack of trying!

I know that Evernote tries to differentiate themselves from competition like OneNote (which I'm using, but it really has a different target and no really useful tagging mechanism). I don't think Evernote will achieve that with yet-another revision of the iOS user interface (remember when you messed it up with the Forestall-like interface, and I still would like to congratulate Apple for showing him the door)? I'm not using Work-Chat either. Given the track and state of the editor, I would not recommend Evernote to a business unless in an attempt to get fired.

*** Rant off

My concern: Once OneNote has useful tagging and managent of larger document collections, you're history.

I got tired of fighting with the EN editor and switched everything over to OneNote about six months ago. It's a dream come true for editing but there is a downside that forced me to abandon OneNote and return to trusty old Evernote.

Microsoft, for all their experience in networking, has no idea how to do anything for cloud use. OneNote was taking 20-30 minutes (and sometimes 24 hours) to sync my fairly basic notebooks. All together I had about 40 notebooks with a total of around 1000 notes. A simple change to a single text note and I could go have lunch after hitting the sync button. Maybe it would be done when I returned. Maybe not. Fire up OneNote on my Galaxy Note8 and wait 5 minutes while it went through every single notebook and every single note looking for differences. That's the way they "sync" notes it would appear.

They don't limit their slow servers to OneNote though. Even using their OneDrive (SkyDrive) was horribly slow when compared to Dropbox and I cringe whenever I think of going into Outlook and waiting the 10 minutes for it to connect to Exchange.

So, while I subscribe to Office 365 at $80 or so per year and then get OneNote and Outlook and the other Office stuff along with a free terabyte of OneDrive, I dumped OneNote and OneDrive and OutLook and am happily paying my Evernote subscription and my DropBox subscription (and purchased emClient to replace Outlook) on top of my Office 365. MS may have a superb editor but if it takes 24 hours to synchronize a note and 10 minutes delay to catch up on my mail or 5 minutes to upload a 100KB file over a 6MB/S connection, I'll pass.

If MS fixes their server problems though...

... but then, maybe EN will one day have a superb editor like OneNote.

Nahh. Can't see either happening so I'll just plod along with my super-slow to create, but super-fast to sync EverNote creations and dream of combining the best of both.

On 2/2/2018 at 6:44 PM, keisoko said:

The font size is the same, but we made some small tweaks to the icon sizes to add more spacing between the items in the sidebar. In terms of the feedback though, I'm curious to hear you say the text seems undersized and would like to hear more. Are there other apps you use that you find have more appropriate sized UI? There's a balance we constantly try to play around providing as much space for content and balancing this around increasing font size and use of white space to improve scanability. We've been thinking about increasing some of our font sizes so do let us know if you think this is an issue relative other apps. 

A note: we are a DPI aware app like most of the built-in apps, so if you find that generally speaking the font sizes seem undersized across all apps in Windows 10 got to Settings > Display > Scale and layout and modify the "Change the size of text, apps and other items" on Windows 10 is a really useful setting. I use 175% scaling myself. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

I prefer the new crammed look in 6.9, as it makes it easier to get a good look of the tag hierarchy.

• Level 5*

@Chantal Leonard Maybe it's culture shock that you changed the spacing,  but while your example above doesn't look too bad,  it comes up enlarged.  This is my new left panel* and to me it looks hopelessly untidy and confusingly complex.  On a big enough designer HD screen it might look OK,  but out here in the real world...  you could get another 5 lines in the space you gave to the New Note button... :unsure:

*Edit - as close to 1:1 as I can judge...

5a79029cc509a_ScreenClip2.thumb.png.e270529118afdd11f735de846e149747.png

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

@Chantal Leonard Maybe it's culture shock that you changed the spacing,  but while your example above doesn't look too bad,  it comes up enlarged.  This is my new left panel* and to me it looks hopelessly untidy and confusingly complex.  On a big enough designer HD screen it might look OK,  but out here in the real world...  you could get another 5 lines in the space you gave to the New Note button... :unsure:

*Edit - as close to 1:1 as I can judge...

5a79029cc509a_ScreenClip2.thumb.png.e270529118afdd11f735de846e149747.png

Ah - so what bugs you more is the spacing for the New Note button? The vertical spacing between the lines is the same at the moment (6.8 on the left, 6.9 on the right.) If you're seeing enlarged spacing between individual items, please let me know because that'll be a bug but it should be exactly the same!  

image.png.9d118f0e88a38a9f40b2af73f4aa263f.png

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Ah - so what bugs you more is the spacing for the New Note button? The vertical spacing between the lines is the same at the moment (6.8 on the left, 6.9 on the right.) If you're seeing enlarged spacing between individual items, please let me know because that'll be a bug but it should be exactly the same!  

image.png.9d118f0e88a38a9f40b2af73f4aa263f.png

Confused.  Isn’t the spacing compressed in this new beta?

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

what bugs you more is the spacing for the New Note button?

Thanks for the response - I'd say I'm bugged by both the button and the spacing,  but far more by the spacing.  Again I notice in your example that you have the same type of shortcut neatly listed together - all notebooks apart from - what is this item* with a drop-down arrow in shortcuts?  My Windows desktop doesn't have that! 

ScreenClip.png.1efc0efa72b84c354014f53cb371e4be.png

If you check out my post,  I have a (vaguely) prioritised list of shortcuts to notes, searches,  tags and notebooks all mixed together;  and each time I open the window,  the list is like a smack in the eye.  It is noticeably closer=-spaced than the previous version,  and I'm currently on 6.9.5.6679  :huh:

Edit: *Oops - gottit;  for those like me who missed this possibility before,  that's a Stack!! :blush:  (Though you can't,  sadly nest or stack shortcuts..)

• Level 5*

If one wants to compress something, one could paramaterize the padding value in tables.  ;)

Though one can now change the values editing an ENEX version now, seems that didn't work in the past....

Off topic, sorry.

• Ex Employees
On 2/3/2018 at 8:26 AM, lhb said:

Simplify Formatting is not expected to visually change much. It's intention is to remove background html that came over from a copy or clip that could cause issues with further editing. If it's doing it's job right, you shouldn't notice much of a change at all after applying it.

Remove Formatting on the other hand, is supposed do just that, remove formatting back to defaults and leave hyperlinks active.

It sounds like from what you'd like to accomplish, it may be best to clip from the Web Clipper using "Simplified Article" to not need to have to later apply Simplify or Remove Formatting.

Archived