Does evernote tries to sync the entire notebook on mobile?

I notice its taking a huge amount of space even though under the Offline Notebooks, it is set to "Do not download notes".

I'm confused between "Do not download notes" and everynote sync.

Anyone knows how they work? Does evernote take up more space as our notebooks grow?

Any tips on saving disk space from evernote's perspective?

• Level 5*

There is some data storage space used, but it should not be "huge".  IMG_2059.thumb.jpg.74988e2882348c1ea5eeadb05cccdfc8.jpg
Where are you getting your information on data space used?
You will see the exact figure under Settings > General > Storage

The screenshot is from my iPad; I have offline notebooks

>>I'm confused between "Do not download notes" and everynote sync.

Your edited notes are stored temporarily until the Sync process uploads them to the server.  Sync also  downloads some metadata to maintain a database, but it's minimal

If you enabled Offline Notebooks, a copy of your notes is downloaded to  the device.   Otherwise, your notes are retrieved via the internet

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, possertive said:

I'm confused between "Do not download notes" and everynote sync.

Hi.  Sync means everything in the mobile app is (or will be) synced to the server so that it has an archive copy of all your  notes available to any other device connected to your account.  Your mobile device storage will include a search index,  any 'unsynced' notes plus temporary copies of notes you are viewing or editing.  Everything other than the index will be deleted (after a sync) if that space is needed for other applications.

'Offline storage' means one or more notebooks are also downloaded to your device in full so that you can search and view and edit the content when away from a network connection.  That space will be reserved for those notebooks.

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Your mobile device storage will include a search index,

I am not sure that is correct. I know it has one for all offline notes, but I think for online, the search is sent to the server. I see HUGE delays in initial results of sync'd notes vs results where the notes are not sync'd locally.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Everything other than the index will be deleted (after a sync) if that space is needed for other applications.

Not jumping on @gazumped, but I'm not sure of this one either.  EN has some method for cache clearing, but I think it does if for EN work space, not device work space.  Could be wrong though.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, EdH said:

I am not sure that is correct. I know it has one for all offline notes, but I think for online, the search is sent to the server. I see HUGE delays in initial results of sync'd notes vs results where the notes are not sync'd locally.

I think there is a dumb downed index kept on the mobile.  If I do a tag search the results are instantaneous, no spinning wheel icon at the top of the screen.  Same for a reminderorder:* search.  On the other hand any text searches have the delays and the wheel icon at the top of the screen is spinning.

Not sure what of the note header data is indexed, but some is and it appears to be kept locally on the mobile.  

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, CalS said:

I think there is a dumb downed index kept on the mobile.  If I do a tag search the results are instantaneous, no spinning wheel icon at the top of the screen.  Same for a reminderorder:* search.  On the other hand any text searches have the delays and the wheel icon at the top of the screen is spinning.

Not sure what of the note header data is indexed, but some is and it appears to be kept locally on the mobile.  

Yeah, note headers are on the device, but 99% sure the index for bodies not downloaded is not. And that would be ok. If you were on a plane in airplane mode, the search wouldn't return the note if you used text, which is ok because you couldn't get the note anyway until you went back online.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, EdH said:

Yeah, note headers are on the device, but 99% sure the index for bodies not downloaded is not. And that would be ok. If you were on a plane in airplane mode, the search wouldn't return the note if you used text, which is ok because you couldn't get the note anyway until you went back online.

Agree 100%, note body search index stuff is not downloaded.  Funny thing, intitle: searches get dispatched to the server. 

• Level 5*

OK I sit corrected:  not an iOS user here anyway,  and I misspoke about the 'full search index' - what I meant to convey was that (on my Android at least) I can see a full - or at least a very long - list of my notes without an internet connection.  I'm getting a title and a summary,  so there's something on the phone for local reference.  Unless that's in a temporary cache...  :blink:

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm getting a title and a summary,  so there's something on the phone for local reference.  Unless that's in a temporary cache...

I would guess in the case of the Android and iDevice that the note header and some bits are downloaded for all notes, all visible without an internet connection.  No note content other than recently accessed notes that are in cache.

• 3 months later...
On 1/31/2018 at 11:41 PM, DTLow said:

There is some data storage space used, but it should not be "huge".  IMG_2059.thumb.jpg.74988e2882348c1ea5eeadb05cccdfc8.jpg
Where are you getting your information on data space used?

From the same place you did.

Just click on Evernote and it will show how large is the document and content (which I assume are the metadata and notes).

Mine's currently at 400+MB of which 350+MB is document & data and 107MB for app.

I think I get what you guys mean. Looking at that storage, some data is downloaded and synced, but not all fledge notes.

I do have quite a large number of notes, but not sure if 350+MB is reasonable. But I guess it's fine for now since I still have plenty of space left.

On 2/1/2018 at 4:47 AM, CalS said:

Funny thing, intitle: searches get dispatched to the server

Thanks for explaining that - I use them a lot and this explains some delays and airplane failure!

Archived