PDF attachments at risk!!

gozzilla78

Idea

Dear Evernoters,

To my horror, I'm finding out that more and more PDF attachments in my database cannot be opened, nor annotated, nor "saved as" anymore. I see them inline, but that's all -- I cannot do anything else with them. (I'm on Windows 10 Pro, upgraded and using the last stable build of EN.)

This happens especially with PDFs imported by the clipper (Chrome or Firefox, doesn't matter) from the arXiv repository of scientific pre-prints.

They show up just fine, though, in my Android mobile client.

Any idea anyone? If that's an early sign of database corruption... oh dear, I don't want to think it's happening.

EDIT: you can see "save as..." if you left-click on the PDF, but that does not save anything

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  I don't see your PDFs being 'at risk' if they're still legible in other clients.  If you log in to Evernote.com via your browser,  can you open PDFs from there? That's the 'original' copy of your database - what's on the Windows hard drive is just a copy.  You could get it rebuilt from your server if you wish by using syncing with the server to update your copy,  then Tools > Options > General to check where the database folder is,  and File > Exit Evernote to rename the database folder to Database.old.

Restart Evernote,  and your copy of the database will be re-downloaded from the server (if you have a lot of notes,  this can take a little while). 

This may fix the issue - there may be other issues with your local copy of Evernote which could require an uninstall / reinstall of the software,  but that's a 10-minute task.

In no way does an issue with your local client mean that there's some global problem with PDFs in general...

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, gozzilla78 said:

Dear Evernoters,

To my horror, I'm finding out that more and more PDF attachments in my database cannot be opened, nor annotated, nor "saved as" anymore. I see them inline, but that's all -- I cannot do anything else with them. (I'm on Windows 10 Pro, upgraded and using the last stable build of EN.)

This happens especially with PDFs imported by the clipper (Chrome or Firefox, doesn't matter) from the arXiv repository of scientific pre-prints.

They show up just fine, though, in my Android mobile client.

Any idea anyone? If that's an early sign of database corruption... oh dear, I don't want to think it's happening.

EDIT: you can see "save as..." if you left-click on the PDF, but that does not save anything

I think this is an issue in the current release, it is fixed in the beta.  This affects any PDFs with a period in the file name. 

If this is your case, you can

1. wait for the next release,
  2. update to the beta,
  3. or use the Down Arrow in the PDF display header area and save to desktop, rename and bring back in.
6 hours ago, CalS said:

I think this is an issue in the current release, it is fixed in the beta.  This affects any PDFs with a period in the file name. 

If this is your case, you can

1. wait for the next release,
  2. update to the beta,
  3. or use the Down Arrow in the PDF display header area and save to desktop, rename and bring back in.

thank you for your feedback, CalS -- it may be as you say: all arXiv preprint files indeed contain periods in their filename...

it would be nice that the support team also gets back to me at some point: three days since I opened a ticket (as a premium user) and still no reply, excluding the first automatic receipt. until now they have always been extremely responsive (not often conclusive, unfortunately, but always responsive)

• Level 5*

You are welcome.  Broader issue for me is how does a development team manage to stomp on this bit of functionality and not realize it.  Periods in file names isn't the rarest bit of naming conventions...

Works fine in the beta, which hopefully will be public soon.  If you want to give it a go you can get it here 

4 hours ago, CalS said:

You are welcome.  Broader issue for me is how does a development team manage to stomp on this bit of functionality and not realize it.  Periods in file names isn't the rarest bit of naming conventions...

Works fine in the beta, which hopefully will be public soon.  If you want to give it a go you can get it here 

Not sure I have the stomach to try a beta yet.... especially after reading some comments in the beta version thread!

anyway, thanks for the headsup

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, gozzilla78 said:

Not sure I have the stomach to try a beta yet.... especially after reading some comments in the beta version thread!

anyway, thanks for the headsup

Hope it gets sorted with the next release.

Archived