• Level 5*

Hi.  Those lines don't usually appear - what's your operating system and Evernote version,  and how did you copy that web page?  Was it copy and paste or Evernote Clipper?  In either case which browser do you use?  Chrome / Firefox / Edge?  Please give us the URL of the page you copied.

This has begun happening to me, too, as of yesterday, and it is definitely not a problem with the content of one note.

I just installed an update to the Windows client (6.8.7.6387, running Win 7) and now every time I create a new text note or add text to an existing one, a blue box appears around the text, like a text box in Microsoft Word, expanding and shrinking as I type or delete.

If I leave the note and come back to it, the box is no longer there, but as soon as I start typing, it reappears.

I find this very distracting, and I'd really like to find a way to get rid of the boxes, if possible.

evernote help.png

• Level 5*

That is very strange. Not seeing that here at all. 

There must be some commonality with the users seeing this, like a video driver, or some other app that is interfering with Evernote's rendering engine.

The only thing that's changed on my system was the Evernote update-- no new software, drivers, etc, so I'm assuming it's a glitch in the new version. Until the night before last, everything on my machine played nicely together.

Wish I'd thought to save the previous install file so I could revert back one version. 

Also, updating my previous observation, the blue box appears immediately once I put the cursor in the note pane-- I don't actually have to start typing. 

49 minutes ago, Sudsy said:

The only thing that's changed on my system was the Evernote update-- no new software, drivers, etc, so I'm assuming it's a glitch in the new version. Until the night before last, everything on my machine played nicely together.

Wish I'd thought to save the previous install file so I could revert back one version. 

Also, updating my previous observation, the blue box appears immediately once I put the cursor in the note pane-- I don't actually have to start typing. 

Same behavior here.

Maybe it is a bad interaction "evernote+windows+NVidia".

7 minutes ago, LuisBrudna said:

Same behavior here.

Maybe it is a bad interaction "evernote+windows+NVidia".

Might be. I'm running  an EVGA GTX 960 Ti.

One thing is certain: I don't fancy the thought of buying a new card, with the insane prices they are going for lately. 

5 minutes ago, Sudsy said:

Might be. I'm running  an EVGA GTX 960 Ti.

One thing is certain: I don't fancy the thought of buying a new card, with the insane prices they are going for lately. 

:-) No way. I dont plan to buy a new card. 

And we have a possibility of NVidia Driver conflict. Its a complicated interaction.

Well... I will wait.

Well, I found a workaround: I uninstalled the update and found an install file for version 6.5.4.4720

Bit of a pain, but it seems to have eliminated the problem.

If anyone else cares to try, I found a collection of old install files here:

https://evernote.en.uptodown.com/windows/old

I downloaded a recent previous version, then scanned it with both BitDefender and Malwarebytes,  just because.

Then I uninstalled Evernote using Revo Uninstaller in "nuke every trace" mode, then did a registry clean with CCleaner. (Probably overkill.)

Rebooted and ran the downloaded install file, logged in, and started syncing. It looks like I'll need to tweak some settings to get everything back where I like it (default fonts, etc.) but it's worth it to get rid of those stupid blue boxes.

• Level 5*

Glad you were able to fix it. I am not seeing the blue boxes but that may just be my installation. BTW, the historical installation files are also available at FileHippo and other places if you do a search. I have been known to take all your steps in the past when I needed to make sure the installation had run correctly. The registry clean probably is overkill, but something that is desirable from time to time with Windows. Just make sure you have done a back-up of the registry first! Last time I did it I needed to go back to the previous version ... that was around the time of an update to the OS, so I am not sure what the problem was exactly. I know I need to run CCleaner again, though!

Thanks, Factman.

The registry clean probably is overkill,

There was just one time several years ago when an update of a note-taking program that I depended on before shifting to Evernote completely broke things, and I was tearing my hair out trying to get back to the old version. It was not until I swept out every registry entry that I had any success.

That incident came to my mind as I was working on this problem, and I figured it was worth an extra step to minimize the chances of similar frustration!  :)  

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, FactMan said:

BTW, the historical installation files are also available at FileHippo and other places if you do a search.

You'll notice that each Evernote release has a post with a link to download the software.

The current release is linked below

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is very frustrating to hear, Billiboo--- apparently the people at Evernote either don't know or don't care that flaws in their last couple of versions have damaged the product for a significant portion of their customers.

In any event, I didn't even install the latest update, but chose "skip this version" instead. Obviously I don't want to be doing this forever. 

I've got these same blue boxes everywhere. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version, still horrible blue text boxes messing up everything. I'm running Windows 7. This is Evernote on my computer, not online. WOW is it annoying.

The other thing is that checkboxes that I had on todo lists, client shared pages - where we have a list of things to do and check them off when that step is done ... they are ALL GONE! The blue box takes them right out.

The blue boxes are messing up a lot of formatting - font size, etc. I had something indented and decided to see what would happen if I clicked on bullet list. It made the bullet, but the bullet text was smaller than the rest of the text. Because I didn't like that, I clicked to unbullet it, and the text on the whole note became smaller - like it had done to the bullet. UGH!

When you copy and paste text from MS Word, for example, it gave a headline (actually subheading) it's own separate blue box and then the bullet list under it got it's own blue box.

I'm going to try to reinstall an earlier version as some have suggested. I've used Evernote for years and have recommended it to an outrageous number of people. This blue box stuff is horrible!

Just wanted to chime in and say that I also have the annoying blue boxes after being prompted to install the latest version a few days ago. I'm on Windows 7 Pro 64bit and also running an Nvidia card (GeForce 7900) so maybe there is a bug between the latest version and Nvidia video drivers. I used to be able to just click anywhere in the note area and it would put the cursor at the top and I could just start typing. Now I have to click at the very top of the note section, inside the very first line of the note. The blue box then appears and I can begin typing. VERY annoying.

Maybe you are onto something... it seems like everyone reporting this problem has a video card from that same company... what's its name? Nvidia?

Can't expect Evernote to cater to every tiny market segment.

;)

• Level 5*

Nvidia have sold a couple of graphics cards,  so I'd expect Evernote to get around the problem if they can - trouble is the text is displayed via a Chrome-style interface,  so they may not have direct control over the code that's causing the problem.  As above,  if this is an issue for you it won't hurt to step back a version or two to where you had an acceptable display.  Meantime (hopefully) Evernote will find and release the fix ASAP. 

In these situations,  the issue is not so much fixing a coding problem,  as finding out what the problem is in the first place!)

40 minutes ago, Sudsy said:

Maybe you are onto something... it seems like everyone reporting this problem has a video card from that same company... what's its name? Nvidia?

;)

Yeah, I think we're onto something with the Nvidia cards/drivers. Not such a tiny market though with Nvidia being one of the top two graphics chip makers :D. In the meantime I'm going to reinstall an older version. Blue is my favorite color but not when it's causing issues, lol.

27 minutes ago, JAnderson said:

Yeah, I think we're onto something with the Nvidia cards/drivers. Not such a tiny market though with Nvidia being one of the top two graphics chip makers :D

Just my lame sense of humor at work. Don't mind me.

Good luck with the reinstall. Mine worked out well, and I live in hope that the EN folks will eventually square this thing away. so I don't fall too far behind the update cycle.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

;)

I use NVIDIA cards both at home and at work. Have not seen this on either computer. There are many different NVIDIA cards with different processor/chipset combinations, and many different driver versions. If the problem manifests only in one particular combination of card/driver, Evernote may understandably not have run across it. And if it's a bug in NVIDIA's drivers, it may not even be worth it for Evernote to address it if a driver update takes care of it...

Just an FYI, I just reinstalled version 6.6.4.5512 from the site @Sudsy mentioned above and no more blue boxes! #happycamper

All I did was back up my database (just in case!) then uninstalled Evernote and reinstalled the older version, I didn't even have to reboot. After signing in, everything was working as expected! :D

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, jefito said:

if a driver update takes care of it...

Good point - anyone still with blue boxes willing to see whether a graphics card driver update is possible? (Edit:  and does any good?)

30 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Good point - anyone still with blue boxes willing to see whether a graphics card driver update is possible? (Edit:  and does any good?)

I just updated my driver to the latest available for my card, then had Evernote check for updates and install the latest version. The blue boxes are back so I will be reinstalling the older version of Evernote again.

A note about my driver, though, the latest available is from 2015 because the GeForce 7900 is such an old card. The previous driver I was using was from 2013.

I have the same problem - blue boxes. Moreover code blocks do not work in my current version - 6.10.3.6921 (306921) Public (CE Build ce-1.39.4387) Windows 

Very annoying!

• 2 weeks later...

I just allowed Evernote to update itself to version 6.11.2.7027 (307027) when prompted earlier this morning. Not only did the blue boxes come back but I was not able to edit any existing note, nor was I able to create a new note. When clicking in the note area, the font selection kept changing to "-apple system-". Even when selecting a new font, it kept reverting right back to -apple system- and I was not able to type anything in the note area. Once again I've uninstalled Evernote and reinstalled an older version (6.6.4.5512 as mentioned above) and it continues to work fine.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, JAnderson said:

I just allowed Evernote to update itself to version 6.11.2.7027 (307027) when prompted earlier this morning. Not only did the blue boxes come back but I was not able to edit any existing note, nor was I able to create a new note. When clicking in the note area, the font selection kept changing to "-apple system-". Even when selecting a new font, it kept reverting right back to -apple system- and I was not able to type anything in the note area. Once again I've uninstalled Evernote and reinstalled an older version (6.6.4.5512 as mentioned above) and it continues to work fine.

The -apple system- font weirdness--and it seems to be a show-stopper--is under discussion in another thread, starting with this post and continuing for several after it:

A reply from @Austin G indicates that they have not yet been able to reproduce the problem, but believe it is isolated to v. 6.11.2, and recommends reverting to the previous version (with instructions for doing so):

However, @JAnderson, it sounds as if you have (wisely, IMHO) reverted farther back than that.

I too has the blue note bug, then installed this morning to the next release hoping it might fix that only to encounter the --apple-system-font weirdness, which made Evernote unusable.  .  Uninstalled Evernote, downloaded 6.5.4 its Evernote Release blog page (below), and all is good, though a little behind.  Hope Evernote starts working on these two bugs.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived