(Archived) Wouldn't it wonderful...

tgb

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the next version of EN for Android used the built in search function to search for EN notes. It can search Kindle, weatherbug, messages, Twitter, Mind.com, Paperdroid, and who knows what else (those are apps on my phone that seamlessly integrates search into to system search capability. I don't know if it is a 2.2 thing but it sure makes searching the phone easy.

Thanks for the feedback. Currently, the entire text contents of your notes aren't stored on the device, so searches are performed on our own servers. I'm not sure whether the built-in search function can work in that mode.

Is there a reason that the full notes (certainly for short text notes) can't be stored on the device and "synced" to the web when a connection is available? That's how the desktop version works.

I am guessing that "offline" storage will be reserved for paid users and I would say that this type of Android functionality is what would push me to "pay up"! And since I have an iPod Touch, I could use the offline storage on that device as well.

Dave, I think having that accessibility is essential given the importance of some of the data and the sketchiness of cell connections at times. One suggestion that might be a "win-win" for both user and company. If you have non-Premium users the chance to have offline access to a fixed number of notes, with Premium required for more, then this might actually push more folks to Premium than a "yes/no" policy. Once they see the speed of access and reliability of those handful of offline notes, they will likely want that functionality for all their notes. Otherwise, ignorance might just be bliss and they will stick with online only. Just a thought.

Thanks for the feedback. In general, we try to give Free users a fully functional application. I.e. we don't believe in "trialware" that breaks after 30 days, or "crippleware" that puts giant watermarks all over your stuff. All of the mobile apps are also free, obviously.

We're pretty happy with our Freemium business model, which allows 94% of our users to keep using us for Free indefinitely.

Of course, we are a business with employees who like to eat and pay rent and stuff. So we carve out a set of cool benefits for upgrading that you don't absolutely need for light/moderate usage, but would be valuable if you were a heavy user. Full offline synchronization for mobile is something that takes months of work to implement, and it seemed like it falls into the right bucket of "not absolutely required to use the product, but valuable for power users." If we didn't push people to Premium via this mechanism, we'd need to give a little push somewhere else that might be even less popular.

then this might actually push more folks to Premium than a "yes/no" policy.

Additionally, if someone wants to try out the Premium service, it's $5 for a month. Hardly a bank breaker, if you end up deciding you don't need/like/want it.

I agree that offline viewing is exactly the right type of feature that fits well with your premium concept. And, frankly, once offline viewing comes to the Android, I am upgrading for that feature alone. My idea is that giving folks a "taste" of offline viewing by allowing a certain number of notes to be viewed offline with the free version might actually sell folks on the value of that feature. I think you do the same with some other features, no? Give a limited number or amount for free users, but unlimited for premium? Being fairly new to EN, I could just be making that up. :0) Regardless, full offline viewing is the feature that pushes it over the edge into "premium" value for me. In just the last few weeks of use, there have been a number of occasions when I needed a note on my Droid, but could not get a connection to download it.

BTW, you guys are very entertaining on the podcast. I just started listening, but immediately went back and listened to all of them.

BTW, you guys are very entertaining on the podcast. I just started listening, but immediately went back and listened to all of them.

I agree. I guess the other thing it indicates to me is that these are people who enjoy working together. You know, like they say people can tell on the phone if you're smiling? Ok, they could be acting. I dunno. But it seems they are respectful of each others' talents & enjoy working with each other.

Any idea when offline functionality will be available on Android for premium users? I will definitely go premium when this happens! I'm a software developer myself, so I know it can't happen overnight, but can it please be yesterday?! :-)

Best regards,

Brenny

Hi Dave,

From what I've read here, and in other forum threads, it sounds like you're starting to get somewhere on the Android client. That's something which is really important to me, and will be one of my primary ways to use Evernote. In order to support that effort in some small way I've gone with the monthly premium subscription. I do expect things to happen on that front though, and to see somewhat regular updates on your progress :D If not I reserve the right to pester you guys about it on a regular basis, or even *gasp* cancel my subscription! (Imagine the gravity of THAT threat, huh?!)

Johan

Archived