steve257

Why is Evernote so slow lately?

Idea

Anyone know why Evernote is so slow lately? Takes forever for notes to load and/or create new notes.

Have even gone back to version 6.5.4.4720 ... but hasn't solved the problem. Thanks.

22 replies to this idea

Hi.  There are lots of suggestions in the forums,  from restarting / rebuilding indexes / reinstalling right up to getting an SSD for storage.  Have you tried anything other than downgrading?

In general,  Evernote has its moments,  but it shouldn't be unusably slow.  I'm on Win 10 with 40,000+ notes and Evernote is still working for me.  Which version of Windows do you run,  and how many notes do you have?

Please be aware that this is a (mainly) user-supported forum where you'll get the benefit(!) of my,  and other experienced users' suggestions.   Evernote staff do read these posts,  but they're not support - just developers looking for new ideas and generic issues with various applications .  I'd suggest you,  and anyone else with this issue,  contact the Support team on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a paying customer,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not.  Evernote can judge how much of a problem this is and -maybe- do something about it,  but only if we tell 'em...

yes it is pretty much UNUSABLE for me also. i've uninstalled, reinstalled, blown away the entire folder between, done everything i can think of.

my laptop has 32gb ram, m.2 drive (blazing fast) and a xeon processor. when i click on a note in the list, it take 10+ seconds for it to appear in the pane to view it. this is RIDICULOUS.

if i could migrate my notes to google keep i would...

It has been slower than usual for me lately. The 6.8 update was horrible, I was getting the UNRESPONSIVE and the freezing numerous times a day. I am back to 6.7 and it seems a little slower than normal.

12,147 notes.

I have done uninstall/reinstall. Have not tried the re-indexing however. It is ok at this time but if it gets worse, I will revisit this thread.

You would be surprised how much reindexing helps. I would say that is should be an annual task; especially if you have alot of note deletes or are making wholesale changes to tags and tag hierarchy. 

29,000 notes, database just over 10gb, running on an i7, 16gb ram, 512gb hdd and no performance issues at all for me.  I'm in Evernote pretty much all day as a central work hub for tasks, projects, social media planning, RSS feed reader, receipt tracking, daily journal and much more - currently quite please with the performance of it.  (version 6.9.7)

ej8899 nice. my only issue is clicking on a notebook or note in list often takes many seconds to display the note list or note, but not always. I've uninstalled and reinstalled entirely and it didn't help. I think I tried reindexing before and that didn't help either.

1 hour ago, bitkahuna said:

ej8899 nice. my only issue is clicking on a notebook or note in list often takes many seconds to display the note list or note, but not always. I've uninstalled and reinstalled entirely and it didn't help. I think I tried reindexing before and that didn't help either.

Hi.  Have you tried using Task Manager to monitor what's going on when you click on a note?  I'd suggest you do a full houseclean on your hard drive - get rid of unwanted files, defrag the disk and run any virus/ malware scans you favor.  Not saying these delays aren't Evernote,  but if you get rule out anything else that might be contributing to slow performance,  you can then concentrate on fixing the problem.

I'm on Windows 10 Home, and my Evernote was unusable as well. After a lot of cussing and teeth gnashing, disabling Windows Defender "Control Flow Guar" (CFG) finally made Evernote work like it always should have. I don't know if this is a fault on Microsoft's end or Evernote's, but someone messed up.

On 2/20/2018 at 9:29 PM, mkanakos said:

You would be surprised how much reindexing helps. I would say that is should be an annual task; especially if you have alot of note deletes or are making wholesale changes to tags and tag hierarchy. 

Is there a help topic on Re indexing please ?  I'm "not responding" too often.

Thank You

5 minutes ago, lagavulin1 said:

Is there a help topic on Re indexing please ?  I'm "not responding" too often.

Thank You

For what it's worth, I tried re-indexing, too, and it didn't resolve the issue: This did:

1 hour ago, antoinebugleboy said:

For what it's worth, I tried re-indexing, too, and it didn't resolve the issue: This did:

There's some ongoing discussion on the indicated thread as to whether switching CFG off is a good idea - or a very bad one.  I've just done it,  regardless - been suffering from some serious slowness recently,  and (a year or so since this was first posted) I'm pretty much ready to try anything...  Thanks all,  for the tip,  anyways.

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

There's some ongoing discussion on the indicated thread as to whether switching CFG off is a good idea - or a very bad one.  I've just done it,  regardless - been suffering from some serious slowness recently,  and (a year or so since this was first posted) I'm pretty much ready to try anything...  Thanks all,  for the tip,  anyways.

Turn off as much of the native MS stuff as you can, anyway, that which doesn't add much value to you.  Search indexing and telemetry are two that can consume some cycles, or anything that wants to "phone home".  My view anyway.

40 minutes ago, CalS said:

Turn off as much of the native MS stuff as you can, anyway, that which doesn't add much value to you.  Search indexing and telemetry are two that can consume some cycles, or anything that wants to "phone home".  My view anyway.

Totally agree.  Was mildly shocked recently to see how many times Windows management applications popped up in my Task Manager to hog CPU or disk activity for a short(ish) while and then go away again.  For some reason Dell Inspiron laptops like my main device aren't compatible with some recent updates,  and mine attempted,  and then failed,  to update about 60 times before I found out how to switch updates off.  (I spent some considerable time trying to find out how to fix the problem first too!)

First cautious impression of the CFG thing is - looking good.  Evernote hasn't been away with the fairies at any time yet,  but it's early days.  I only restarted a few hours ago.

25 minutes ago, gazumped said:

First cautious impression of the CFG thing is - looking good.  Evernote hasn't been away with the fairies at any time yet,  but it's early days.  I only restarted a few hours ago.

Excellent.  I'm assuming you are using Windows Defender, hence the CFG?  Or is this CFG issues with another anti virus?

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

been suffering from some serious slowness recently,  and (a year or so since this was first posted) I'm pretty much ready to try anything... 

@gazumped have you jumped on the SSD bandwagon yet?  IIRC you were still using HDDs.  Even if the change to SSD doesn't fix the Evernote slow down, you won't regret the change.  Best PC upgrade I've ever made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

have you jumped on the SSD bandwagon yet?

I partly joined the club - my laptop has a hybrid startup disk,  but bulk storage is definitely the spinning kind.  Have been debating a desktop vs a laptop recently - in my 'other' life I go in for editing big RAW files in Lightroom and the laptop has a maxed out 8GB memory,  plenty of (spinning) disk space - plus another 30GB of Readyboost memory.  I really need something with a bit more grunt to it - hence the debate.  Whichever footprint I opt for it will have SSD storage though!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Whichever footprint I opt for it will have SSD storage though!

A most excellent move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

in my 'other' life I go in for editing big RAW files in Lightroom and the laptop has a maxed out 8GB memory,

I do a lot of Lightroom raw file editing as well and my Macbook i5 CPU w/8 GB memory and SSD does ok.  There is a slight pause before loading the image to full resolution but it is acceptable but I'm only dealing with 25MB file sizes.  If I ever upgrade to one of the newer cameras with 50MB file sizes, then it will be laptop upgrade time for me.

• Like 1

Just noticing I'm not the only one who stares at the evernote screen watching the little circle spinning and being able to do nothing. I am way to invested in time and information stored in evernote for it to not work. I really don't want to have to do all this firewall stuff if possible. I've been dealing with this way over a year and very frustrating. Evernote technicians please please fix your program.

12 hours ago, Peakdecibel said:

Just noticing I'm not the only one who stares at the evernote screen watching the little circle spinning and being able to do nothing. I am way to invested in time and information stored in evernote for it to not work. I really don't want to have to do all this firewall stuff if possible. I've been dealing with this way over a year and very frustrating. Evernote technicians please please fix your program.

Try this. It resolved all slowdown issues for me:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/110116-en-extremely-slow-after-win-10-fall-creators-update-solved/

12 hours ago, Peakdecibel said:

Do you have any details about your setup and Evernote usage?   I'm just short of 49,000 notes - some just a bit of text, others with PDF's (multiple in some cases), images, a variety of web site clips, and on - really, a fair bit of 'everything' I can throw at it -- I've got no speed problems at all on any of my systems.  My full database is about 18gb (one laptop runs 'full sync')   Two of the machines I'm on regularly have sync on demand enabled - one ends up at 10gb the other at 2gb.

Just sharing the love around - check out 

...for similar content

• Like 1