"Clip failed" error on Android for "Clip Full Article"

Every web page I try to clip on an Android phone to send to Evernote fails with a "Clip failed" error.  It used to work fine for me, but something has gone wrong.

On the phone, in a Chrome Browser open to any web site, I click on the "Share" option, select "Add to Evernote", tap the elephant to select "Clip full article" (if it isn't the default from the previous "Add to Evernote" command).  It says "Saving to Evernote", and then shows a checkmark seeming to indicate it worked right.  When I open Evernote, it shows a note with only the title of the web page (none of the contents or text on the web page) and an error message that says "Clip Failed".

(I can turn off the "Clip full article" option, but then I only get the URL and a jpeg image of the first part of a web page, but one of the advantages of Evernote over Google's Keep is it's ability to save full web pages (which may change over time) and to be able to search the text of pages you've saved.) I can save pages from a Chrome browser on a Mac just fine, using the Evernote Web Clipper extension.  On the Android phone, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote, but that didn't help.  

Any help would be much appreciated.  -Greg H.

Update Feb. 5, 2018:  I reported this to Evernote support on Jan. 27.  They told me that the development team has been made aware of the problem and are working diligently on it.  Today (Feb. 5) they told me that this bug is proving to be rather complex to nail down, but that their team is very close to a solution.

Update: Feb. 24, 2018:  The problem that I originally reported above has been fixed (perhaps in the past week or two).  Other people might still have problems on their phones, but it's not a problem on my android phone.  If you think you have problems with clipping, I suggest you start a new thread, and that you report the problem directly to Evernote support.  (There are still some problems with evernote clipping.  For example, web sites that require login or subscription (like the nytimes.com web site) won't work or will get truncated articles because the evernote clipping app doesn't have access to your account information and accesses those web sites as a guest.  But these issues are separate from the one I originally reported, which is now working as well as it used to.)  I won't be following this topic any more.

Edited by Greg H.
update info from Evernote support

Please try this on multiple browsers!  I cannot stress enough that multiple browser capability is essential.  Most of our issues stem from using the same browser to do everything.  When a browser updates, YOU are the regression tester.  If something that was working before doesn't work after a browser update, it is more likely the fault of the browser.  Try the same steps in a different browser.  If it works then, make sure you report the bug in the incumbent browser as well as notify Evernote of the issue.

I have two browsers installed on my Google Pixel 2 XL and a half-dozen browsers installed on my Win10 desktop.  As users, we are also UX/UI/Functional/regression testers!  Never forget this!

• Like 2

I am noticing the same failed clip attempts as well. Most if not all are from within other apps (Facebook, Twitter, etc) so I'm unsure whether switching browsers will help anyway, since the "share" is being done from another app on the phone.

Running Android 7.0. 

Phone is Samsung-SM-N920V

Had a recent system update, along with a slew of app updates in the past few days. Most likely related somehow but how to tell I have no clue.

Did uninstall and reinstall Evernote, problem persists.

Same problem here. For what it's worth, I dont think the browser matters - tried from Chrome Firefox and Brave (which is simply a chromium wrapper) to the same error as the original poster (230506.png).

I don't think the browser matters, because I tried to re-clip each article from the context menu inside the Evernote app itself. I've assumed clipping was handled by EN servers based on how it used to work (press clip, come back some hours later and it'll be "magically" done). Even tried re-clipping from the app with different default OS browsers selected.

I'll also mention, that a failed re-clip will lock me out of the note, even though I'm the note owner (230511.png).

Screenshot_20180129-230511.png

Screenshot_20180129-230506.png

• Like 1

I just now tried this in the Firefox browser on my phone, and it had the same failure as Safari.  Because both browsers use the "Share" option to share with another app, I think the problem is with Evernote's interface with the Android OS's "Share" functionality, and not with the browser's interface with the OS.  (I'm using a Samsung Note 5 running Android 7.0, with the latest patches).  I've filed a bug report with Evernote also.

• Like 1

+1 

I have the exact same problem. "clip failed." using the share function. Android 7. Samsung s8 plus. Tried Opera, Samsung browser. Tried logging in/out Evernote app. Restarted phone. Emptied evernote cache. 

Been going on since at least Sunday.

Best, 

Selim 

Screenshot_20180130-160154.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

So clearly something serious going on here. I did have a clip fail the other day (but not a lockout), yet today I had it succeed. Both were from the Opera browser on an up-to-date Samsung Note 8 using the most recent Evernote. I hope Evernote responds to the support request quickly.

• Like 1

I'm getting this error on almost every web page i try to clip on android 7, chrome, latest version of Evernote. To get around this, i copy/paste the entire web page into Evernote and don't use the share to Evernote feature. Evernote screwed something up 

• Like 1

I am on Android 6.0.1 and have the same problem. It does not matter what the browser is.

I am able to select text and then use the "share" feature. This copies the selected snippet into a new note. But clipping entire pages keeps failing.

In Evernote, if I go to the failed note and use the "clip again" feature it begins to act like it is doing something, but after a few seconds I get the message that the note is currently unavailable.

Mercifully, the URLs are saved. I used the desktop version to refresh the notes.

• Like 1

I recently switched to EN from OneNote and I'm having the same problem. I'm on Android 8.0 and every time I try to clip a webpage it ends in failure. I tried giving the EN app full permissions but still no joy. I can clip the same pages perfectly fine on my phone with OneNote. 

I'm in the habit of clipping pages during my commute so I can read them on my laptop at home but this problem in EN is really annoying. 

• Like 2

Something changed today - the app itself doesn't show a new date but the Android share feature seems to work now. I am even given an Evernote option to select the notebook and just clip the page title and URL, whereas in the past it would only clip the entire page. So far so good, I'm up and running again.

I am having same problem - all clips using "share" (add to Evernote) are "clip failed" and this has not changed for me in the last few hours, as was reported by another more fortunate poster. I'm running Android 7 on Nexus 6P. Wonder if anyone running Android 8 is having this issue? Most of my clips are in Chrome. Never had this issue until about a week ago. Evernote really needs to fix this quickly. I'm doing copy and paste to get by.

• Like 1

The clipper hasn't worked for me on my phone for a week now. Incidentally, I've been testing out OneNote for the last month as a replacement due to other major, deal breaker issues (what prompted the switch was that the "undo" function doesn't work). But up to this point I've been using the EN clipper so that I still have the notes there in case I want to switch back at the end of my test, then I use IFTTT to send them to 1N. Which means that the ONLY thing I use EN for right now is entirely broken. And now I'm going to have to start using OneNote for that too, because the failed clips are getting forwarded.

I'm also on a note 8 on Android 7.1.1. Anyone having this problem who isn't on a Samsung device? 

Clipsfailed.jpg

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Hi All,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I've reached out to the Development Team and they let me know that they are aware of the issue, are working to determine the root cause, and will then work to address it.

As they are still working to determine what is causing this, they do not have a definitive timeframe as to when it will be fixed.

However, I will update you all once I have more information.

If you come across any workarounds that can be used for the time being, please share!

• Like 1

Incredible that I cannot even clip a web page.  Seems this has been going on for some time now. Just when i was finally thinking about taking the Premium plunge... Oh well, back to OneNote.  The price is right and it has no issues, at least that I encountered. You would think that this would be their number one priority.

Saving to Pocket first is a workaround. 

• Level 5
5 hours ago, AndreasM said:

EN are you there? What the hell? Why there are no action on your part? Apparently EN is reading every post, so what's going on? This is a big issue. I am sure clipping stopped working after one of yours unnecessary updates to Android, which you introduce without testing, EN usual pattern of upgrading software.

We are waiting for action. 

I only want to comment by asking why you think EN is reading every post. As you know, this is primarily a user-to-user forum; EN employees do look in sometimes, and occasionally respond (as Shane has now done), but there's no promise that they monitor these forums constantly.

Would also like your documentation on EN doing unnecessary updates without testing, unless that's just, you know, your opinion. :)

Dave (a recovering ranter myself)

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I only want to comment by asking why you think EN is reading every post. As you know, this is primarily a user-to-user forum; EN employees do look in sometimes, and occasionally respond (as Shane has now done), but there's no promise that they monitor these forums constantly.

Evernote employees have certainly said so in the past. Do a forum search on "we read every post" and you'll find some (ex employees @Jackolicious and @engberg, notably). It's been some time since I've seen that said, so take that with a grain of salt.

Glad this thread came up in a Google search for 'Evernote clips failed'. 

Understandably this happens to be a user based discussion forum as a previous poster pointed out, but it's still desirable that Evernote support keeps track of issues that don't necessarily get reported through a ticket. While it may not be possible for each thread to get such attention, Evernote staff/mods active participation and better  monitoring of threads with highly reported issues can lessen the turnaround time for their Devs to take notice and fix things. 

Users posting on here have legitimate concerns, even if they aren't going about reporting through stipulated contact channels such as raising a support ticket. With its  reputation of being a leading cross-platform  note-taking service, a critical issues, as the one this thread is about, can be rather disconcerting for new and dedicated users alike. Overlooking the technicality of where an issue gets reported or discussed is definitely  preferable from a damage control POV, we aren't here typing up long passages for any other reason than the serious flaw that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
8 hours ago, AndreasM said:

I don't need to provide any documentation, just check the number of posts in the forum complaining about this or that feature not working after an upgrade. And, you are long enough on that forum to know it. Even now, the fail clipping problem is your problem as well, what EN did to fix it???

Actually, clipping is working again for me (which doesn't mean that it isn't still broken for many others). I just think that claiming that Evernote does no testing, unless you actually know that for a fact, is not helpful. So, MHO about YHO, and perhaps not very helpful either. I certainly understand the feeling. I've spent much of this morning feeling enraged about a Website that supposedly is looking for writers but seems to have no way of contacting their editors without an existing account.

Clipping hasn't worked for me for about two weeks. Using an older Note 4, but it is up-to-date. Most of my articles open in Chrome (from FB/Instagram, etc). I use this feature multiple times a day, and to not have it working is an issue. I just filed a ticket and received this response -

image.png.3ca0a41627dbc65fd9a6973d2057e52b.png

I am adding myself to the list.

With some browsers it didn't work for some time already, since I am in China and using a Chinese phone, I thought it is related and was switching browsers all the time or helped myself with screenshots. 

Now as you are all stating, not any clipping works. 

Same issues for nearly the last month on a new Google Pixel 2 running android 8.1.0. I've tried clipping using multiple phone browsers (including Firefox Focus), but the problem still remains. I have to essentially go to each pages source on my desktop to ensure that the article has been clipped.  This is extremely frustrating, evernote, and unacceptable for long term pro   users like me who've designed their workflows around evernote. Please push this up the queue.

• Like 1

I've been experiencing similar issues to those reported here since January 21st 2018 (at least that's when the failed clips began to appear).

Clipping from Firefox running on a PC under Win7 works fine, but clipping from Chrome running on a Samsung S7 fails. Symptoms as described earlier here - Evernote (whether the desktop program or mobile App) reports the note as "Clipping" but this then updates to "Clip failed". Latest released versions of Chrome and Evernote app/program in all cases.

• Level 5
On 2/4/2018 at 7:00 AM, AndreasM said:

Dave-in-Decatur

Apparently clipping a full article from Android is working for you again. Could you please share what have you done to make it working, or is it just random like so many things with Evernote.

I'm afraid it was just random. Don't know if it could be some combination of software, OS, and hardware or what. I am running the latest version of Evernote on an update Samsung Note 8. Wish I could be of some help--this must be monumentally aggravating.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:45 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I've reached out to the Development Team and they let me know that they are aware of the issue, are working to determine the root cause, and will then work to address it.

As they are still working to determine what is causing this, they do not have a definitive timeframe as to when it will be fixed.

However, I will update you all once I have more information.

If you come across any workarounds that can be used for the time being, please share!

Looks like Evernote is on it. I began having the same web clipping problem starting in late January. Mine occurs on a Pixel using Chrome. It grabs the URL and headline, but fails to capture the text; simplified formatting or full page options have the same result. I see a "Clip Failed" message. I rely on this feature for a lot of web-based research, so hope it gets fixed again soon.

I GIVE UP ON EVERNOTE CLIPPER! Here's why....

It took me 29 seconds to clip this link on Chrome browser on Mac and just 1.49 seconds on Pocket. I have been a user since 2009. I have no idea how to transfer thousands of clipped bookmarks from EV to another service but I regret  choosing EV.   I am a premium customer and this is very disappointing. 

Webclipper on latest Firefox Win10 64 works fine. Clipping isn't possible from whatever I'm using (browser or app to clip content) on my Note8 for Evernote. THIS IS A MAIN ISSUE. Please folks at Evernote, do something quickly. I've tried a lot of apps/plugins available on the Play store to see if it will solve the problem, without success. No more possible to clip from  Android...

Only thing to do to save your failed clips is to save it with your Andro, than open Evernote on Firefox or any desktop computer browser, go to the failed clip, go to the URL (always saved), clip the page making a new note, erase the failed original one. Take time but if your content is precious enough, you have a temporary note you can correct on your computer whenever you want to.

• Level 5

Hey All,

We believe we've identified the cause of the 'Clip Failed' issue.

We've submitted a hotfix, Version 7.16.1, to the Google Play Store and you should begin to see it available this week.

Google does not make these updates immediately available to a 100% percent of users all at one time.

Meaning, if you don't see it yet, you should see it available within the next few days. (I'd imagine that it should be available to 100% of users by no later than next week)

Let me know if you have any other questions, or if you don't see it available by that time.

Thanks!

• Like 2

I'm interested in the explanation that this issue was "related to a recent Android OS software update that was rolled out on Google's end" since there seem to be many people on different OS versions (since most of us aren't on vanilla android straight from google). Can someone explain this a little further?

Thanks for the work on getting it fixed.

Clipping works again with the new patch release, but the patch has introduced new problems. The html is stripped, and i get one big blob of text with all the formatting removed. Images in the original web page are replaced with empty grey boxes.

When I try "Clip Again" I lose the clip. Says it is not available any longer. 

Adding the web page to Pocket and from there on to EN is the best workaround for me as of now. Also, as someone else remarked earlier on this thread, Pocket clips in a jiffy. EN takes forever.  

5 hours ago, Jookman said:

Adding the web page to Pocket and from there on to EN is the best workaround for me as of now. Also, as someone else remarked earlier on this thread, Pocket clips in a jiffy. EN takes forever.  

I've always wondered whether the clipping is actually done on Android or just the URL is sent to a server to sort it out. It is incredibly slow though, and I do get different results, e.g. articles from medium.com always only seem to clip half the page when done from my phone. It does slow everything down when you have to double check all your clips even when it is working - time for an overhaul Evernote?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, StuartG said:

I've always wondered whether the clipping is actually done on Android or just the URL is sent to a server to sort it out.

For Android, I believe it's the latter. The note is created (you can see it if you sync), but it's populated later on.

For me it still doesn't work as it should: Some articles are not clipped at all, some are missing pictures, some are missing text and display logos only ... some seem to be okay. 

Clipping in general takes ages and the result is a surprise. Please fix! 

Seems to me that quality assurance dropped the ball when the software was allowed to be released with this serious issue undetected during regression testing. Clipping web pages is an extremely common and important Evernote feature. To have broken this and then released a fix that is inadequate is unacceptable. Evernote don't seem to realize how important their software has become to so many people. Rather than focusing on adding features that we can all wait for, fix and stabilize what's already out there. Of course, the ceo doesn't get in the trenches to see the pain that the users are suffering through. Hey, QA, do your job! 

It is very annoying. Sad to construct the opportunity to push owners to Pocket, who do the job from Android without any problem. And what for people who are paying a lot for service who doesn't work efficiently. People at EN, you are doing such a great job since the beginning, could you explain us why it is so difficult to find out what and why is going wrong with this issue? It can help us to understand and be patient... And thank you for all the great work you have done untill now.

3 hours ago, MayurH said:

clipping functionality is broken. I clipped an article I was reading to Evernote and to pocket. See the difference 

Screenshot_20180210-142433.jpg

Screenshot_20180210-142503.jpg

Same problem as above, the hot fix is clearly not working evernote, and this is too important a feature to be brushed away. Just had to spend hours re-clipping notes clipped over the last month. Fix this ASAP, or I'm moving elsewhere after 6 faithful years. 

YOUR CLIPPING is still annoying ,EN. And I think it's incredible for you to release such an incomplete patch for us to download and use.I had paid 37dollars to be a premium customer last week and decided to use EN to keep a diary for the rest of my life,and,now I think you are trying to convince me to admit that I had done a wrong choice,please,show me it was a right choice to choose you,EN.

For me, the first practice clip I tried worked...for the first half of the page, then kind of fell apart after that (got the words, but no formatting)
I would switch to pocket except that they don't like to export their whole clip (if you share it to Evernote or OneNote or whatever or within their IFTTT trigger) and I don't like Pocket for long term storage of things. I found a workaround that gives me full text of pocket clips, but it's got some drawbacks and the whole thing just rubs me the wrong way. I love Mozilla's offerings in general, but Pocket seems very weirdly closed off and I'm not into it.

Looks like the update fixed it since I'm not running into the issue on my stable, recent version of the Android app.  I tried Chrome and Firefox on android and got the same web clipping results.   

I really wish the clipping was more intelligent and would automatically remove all the excess junk, like ads and links from the web page.  I would recommend using Gboard keyboard since it makes it easier to go through the page and remove unnecessary text.   

And this is mostly for those who are new to Evernote:  I know it is stating the obvious but if you run into an error, the forums are great for updating others but you would receive quicker results by:  

• send your activity log 
  • an export of the note's enex file 
  • screenshot or screen recording.  

I recently ran into an error where Evernote was not responding to decrease indent button or shortcut.  Support was able to see some type of corruption occurring in the line of text. 

And obviously ifyou contact support first, then you can post on the forum your updates and that would save them time.    

,Ricky  

• Level 5

Hey All,

I reached out to the Development Team to try and get some clarification.

Previously, the issue was that when you tried to clip an article you received a ‘Clip Failed’ error message and the content of your note was only the ‘Clip Failed’ image. The fix that was implemented stops the ‘Clip Failed’ error from occurring, and instead now clips the article as best it can at this time.

As there is not a standardized format for all websites, the clipper may be unable to clip the content while maintaining all of the article’s formatting. In these cases, the clipper will simply clip the article without the formatting.

While this is something we will look to improve, it is not something we can fix immediately.

Additionally, I may be reaching out to some of you via direct message to gather more information about what you're observing. We'll use that information to help our decisions with addressing the formatting issues as we move forward.

Thanks for your feedback!

58 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hey All,

Previously, the issue was that when you tried to clip an article you received a ‘Clip Failed’ error message and the content of your note was only the ‘Clip Failed’ image. The fix that was implemented stops the ‘Clip Failed’ error from occurring, and instead now clips the article as best it can at this time.

As there is not a standardized format for all websites, the clipper may be unable to clip the content while maintaining all of the article’s formatting. In these cases, the clipper will simply clip the article without the formatting.

While this is something we will look to improve, it is not something we can fix immediately.

Additionally, I may be reaching out to some of you via direct message to gather more information about what you're observing. We'll use that information to help our decisions with addressing the formatting issues as we move forward.

But clipping was "acceptable" before. Put that old code back in until your staff come up with a better tested solution 

• Like 1

You have got to fix it. See the article clipped before the functionality was broken and after the recent so called fix

BEFORE THE CLIPPING FUNCTION BROKE

Screenshot_20180213-031910.thumb.png.3c94924e729e2782e1d7fd65adad4195.png

Screenshot_20180213-032859.thumb.png.9d4834f7bbc0723e063d54b48e7d9ae4.png

AFTER THE RECENT SO CALLED FIX

Screenshot_20180213-032006.png

Screenshot_20180213-032403.thumb.png.abf1d6785d0c0db5a34ae86c190695e4.png

Edited by MayurH
Added more screenshots
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Shane D. said:

If my development team gave me that answer I'd laugh at them trying to pull the wool over my eyes! 

Granted the clipper wasn't perfect on Android, and the 'clip failed' was annoying, but if you've got something that works with 90% accuracy 90% of the time, replacing that with something that works with 20% accuracy 100% of the time seems a strange decision.

Thanks for trying to improve it but you have broken this. It's not acceptable to break something then just say "tough, we might fix it sometime in the future"

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I absolutely agree with @gesshoom, @MayurH, and @StuartG. This used to work; then it broke completely; and now it sort of works on a few sites, but largely fails. "Website clipping is tricky" is just not an excuse, since it used to work well!

I updated to the current version and tried a couple of clips. An article clipped from the Wikipedia app actually came through well The only real problem was with tabular information, which came through without the tabular formatting. OTOH, the screenshots below show a Web page in my browser, and what Evernote clipped from it--only the material at the bottom of the page, and didn't even format that.

screenshot_20180213-072509.jpg

Evernote Android Web clip.jpg

On 13/02/2018 at 4:33 AM, Shane D. said:

Hey All,

The issue is that older version of Evernote worked perfectly fine until the update basically killed the clipping functionality.

This should be a basic function. Not something Evernote looks to improve on. 

I wish I could be less harsh but you have got to listen to your customers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Michael Wan said:

The issue is that older version of Evernote worked perfectly fine until the update basically killed the clipping functionality.

This should be a basic function. Not something Evernote looks to improve on. 

I wish I could be less harsh but you have got to listen to your customers.

Exactly. I use evernote mostly on phone, so now I have to clip 2 times, before only once. This is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

I agree. The reply from Evernote is ridiculously weak. You had a clipping function that worked quite well albeit very slowly, you messed it up, and now you don't know how to restore its functionality? Huh? What did you do - fire the programmer who wrote the original software? Evernote, we are telling you this is basic, essential functionality for Evernote users. This needs to be restored to the functionality we had just a few short months ago. Please give it top priority.

• Like 1

I've been talking to EN tech support about this, and they're happy for me to post part of our discussion which explains the issue:

The issue was first discovered after a Chromium depreciation which blocked our access to the CSS stylesheets. While we do release updates regularly on our Android platform, our updates did not contain any changes to our clipping functionality despite many claims that this was caused by one of our latest updates.

After the Chromium depreciation, we noticed an increase in reported issues where clips were failing. In some instances, users were reporting every single clip was failing.

As a temporary workaround, we released a hotfix that would clip the text of the webpage without the CSS formatting so that at the very least, the text could be viewed. This would only happen if the clip would have failed. Instead of the failed clip, a stripped version would be added. We did not have an accurate time frame on how long this would take to resolve and were expecting the worst.

Since the issue was first reported we have been working diligently on getting an update out that would resolve the issue. 

We are currently in the process of releasing a beta version that contains what we hope to be a fix.

The more detailed explanation makes much more sense to me: not a EN-initiated change which went wrong and can't be reverted, but an Android change which they're trying to work around. Being open about this is more likely to gain understanding from the community here IMHO.

I've tried the beta version (8.0_beta2_4107) this morning but there's no change, but that may not be the version with the fix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5

@StuartG, thank you so much for pursuing this and reporting your results here! It is indeed extremely helpful to know what's going on, even if it's not a solution. As I read this, two questions came to my mind:

1. What the :o is a "Chromium depreciation"? A bear market in certain commodities futures? Or an elaborate euphemism for a deliberate trashing of features in Chromium, brought about by its open-source-yet-vaguely-Google-related community of programmers, on whom (it seems) all our data and workflow now depend?
  2. Why the :o:wacko::angry: didn't Evernote TELL US about this when it happened? What is their communication policy (if they have one)? "Tell nobody anything unless their work gets damaged so badly they holler about it?" Any communication at all, e.g., in the Play Store release notes, would have been so helpful and prevented so much needless frustration and lost time and work! What possible reason can there be for withholding this information (unless letting people know that Chromium is about to bork their work gets EN itself in trouble)? I'm not just venting about this--I want to know. @Shane D., I'm lookin' at you. Not your fault, but I'm asking you. ;)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Chromium depreciation

Almost certainly a misspelling of 'deprecation'. This is a geek takeover of a word that means something else. Translation: usually a service provider, library, computer language, etc. will 'deprecate' certain practices if they're no longer useful, or otherwise problematic. Old code will continue to be able to use the service, at the risk of getting bad results, which is evidently what happened here. How the communication of the deprecation took place isn't clear here; it may have been something that affected Evernote without being obvious the the Evernote developers. Hard to tell without more information. The timeline of events here is also not clear, so it's hard to tell who knew what and when. That being said, better communication with respect to new-found bugs like this one is desirable.

In the overall scope of things, yes, a lot of the technology of things we depend on, including Evernote's, depends on open source.

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5

@Dave-in-Decatur

1. I'm working on getting more specifics, but Google released the following information: https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/10/chrome-63-deprecations

2. As Technical Support mentioned, we've been working diligently to investigate and fix the root cause of the issue. Unfortunately, it was only recently that we were able to determine that the Chromium deprecation was the main problem. Moreover, we wanted to confirm this information before we made any comment. However,  now that we've been able to identify the root cause, we've now begun communicating that information as exemplified in @StuartG interaction with Technical Support. 

Overall, we are working to provide more clarity when things like this occur, and we will hopefully be able to provide that information at a faster velocity in the future. However, it may take us some time before we're able to communicate it, as we always want to make sure the information provided is accurate.

Hopefully, this answers your questions, but feel free to reach out to here or directly via DM.

Thanks!

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5

@Shane D., thanks very much. It's helpful to realize that EN techs themselves didn't isolate the problem until recently. I just think that should have been reported as soon as it was known; certainly there should have been a response to this thread. Yet I understand that you all certainly don't want to communicate premature or inaccurate information.

[Rant]And, frankly, I should have known that Google was at the bottom of it. Putting even one egg in Google's basket is asking for trouble. Google Calendar, though it has improved recently, is the parade example of a Google resource whose users, more or less forced to use it, have made complaints and feature requests about for years before anything gets done.[/EndRant]

13 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Overall, we are working to provide more clarity when things like this occur, and we will hopefully be able to provide that information at a faster velocity in the future. However, it may take us some time before we're able to communicate it, as we always want to make sure the information provided is accurate.

@Shane D. if I might make a suggestion, you have the means here in the forum to at the very least acknowledge major issues like this. A sticky thread as soon as you become aware of something like this would reassure users that it was known about by EN. Regular updates to that thread, even if it's to say it's still under investigation would let people know it hadn't been forgotten or brushed under the carpet. You'll of course have a mix of technical knowledge on here, but posting the level of information Tech Support provided to me is genuinely helpful and may be a source of input to resolving your issue via the goodwill and enthusiasm of your users who want EN to work. It may invite further criticism from some about the time taken to fix it, but I feel transparency is key here - support tickets are 1-to-1 and don't share the knowledge wider.

If you need an example of someone who does this well, look to Zapier and how they communicate their status and problems they encounter.

• Like 2

Dave, I'm with you. Why engender all this anger and frustration when a simple explanation will allay the hostility? EN executives should appreciate how much we love their product. If we didn't, we would have abandoned it long ago. We really want you to fix this and to listen to us and to respond to us on a timely fashion.

Did EN fix web clipper? Today I clipped several articles figuring I would be frustrated once again. BUT surprise, surprise, they all worked! Granted, one didn't include the pictures, but still...

• 2 weeks later...

Android clipping still not working. Support knows the issue but there's no solution at the moment. In the beta version there's no such issue, but is very unstable (almost lost a note content in the process). Waiting...

• Like 1

Same issue is happening to me, I'm usng a Galaxy Note 8.  Android clipping used to work in my device, currently is not saving the clipped notes with appropiate format.

One workaround that I'm using:

1. Perform an android clip in my device for a web page in any web browser like Chrome, Firefox, Samsung web browser, etc.
  2. Web page is added to Evernote, obviously with out any format like used to be.
  3. In desktop Evernote app open the note clipped from android device and navigate to the source link.
  4. when source link opened in desktop browser, for example in Chrome, i clipped in there with Evernote clip extension.
  5. Now the web page is clipped with the original format in web browser, you can discard the original clipped note from android device.

A lot of steps but at least you can store your notes with the original format whenever you require them.

Obviously, this need to be solved in order to have functionality back again.

Regards.

I misspoke. The clipper on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S7 mobile worked for first time in weeks. I access it through share function. On EN it first shows up as clipping then moments later, ta-dum! there is the article. Have you tried it yet?

I'm on 7.17.1 Evernote version on S7 Exynos. Clipping doesn't work at all

Screenshot_20180319-003237.thumb.png.2f8a83f5ee375ca5255f9a6f2a64070c.png

The latest version is supposed to have fixed clip formatting but 15 mins later, the link is clipped but it shows as follows. 

Screenshot_20180319-004532.thumb.jpg.dee8ebdc25431a751da5f51bddad3d00.jpg

Screenshot_20180319-004245.thumb.png.021cb2d38b51408acbaf0052586e190a.png

Edited by MayurH
  • Level 5*
56 minutes ago, MayurH said:

The latest version is supposed to have fixed clip formatting but 15 mins later, the link is clipped but it shows as follows. 

They have apparently fixed the problem of the clip failing altogether. There may still be sites out there that give the clipper problems with respect to formatting, and that's been the case for a long time.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, jefito said:

They have apparently fixed the problem of the clip failing altogether. There may still be sites out there that give the clipper problems with respect to formatting, and that's been the case for a long time.

Evernote did not have problem clipping from the same site last year. Screenshot below 

Screenshot_20180319-112859.thumb.jpg.759668bf66632b4d1ceb5a87076ba34c.jpg

"Clip failed" error on Android for "Clip Full Article"

Across several news articles, similar clipping problem here. Android Chrome to Evernote has been in "clipping" mode for four hours now. As suggested below I will try Safari, it may be a Chrome update problem

James

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, MayurH said:

Evernote did not have problem clipping from the same site last year. Screenshot below 

As part of the discussion(s) on recent web clipping problems, it looks like some recent Chromium changes caused problems with the web clipper. By and large that's fixed (I've been clipping successfully for several days) but I got the impression that some of the changes were not easily worked around, so maybe that's the cause of what you're seeing. Look for posts by Evernote employee @Shane D. in this thread for more info. Another possibility is that maybe your sample web site has changed its format so that it no longer works the same -- you could test that by clipping the page that worked for you in the past, and comparing it to the one that works now.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jefito said:

As part of the discussion(s) on recent web clipping problems, it looks like some recent Chromium changes caused problems with the web clipper. By and large that's fixed (I've been clipping successfully for several days) but I got the impression that some of the changes were not easily worked around, so maybe that's the cause of what you're seeing. Look for posts by Evernote employee @Shane D. in this thread for more info. Another possibility is that maybe your sample web site has changed its format so that it no longer works the same -- you could test that by clipping the page that worked for you in the past, and comparing it to the one that works now.

The same article clipped just now on my S7 using Chrome browser version 65.0.3325.109

Screenshot_20180319-195543.thumb.jpg.0ef5328465d7ecfdeee8c754a8c0a437.jpg

Clipped the same using Firefox browser version 58.0.2

Screenshot_20180319-200429.thumb.jpg.6c72ac931ef84ba822fc0291a561cdcb.jpg

Edited by MayurH