arlcrane

Startup View - begin with Notebooks

In Android, when I open Evernote, it always opens to an alphabetical list of ALL NOTES, which seems useless to me. 

I'd like it to open to a list of my NOTEBOOKS.  It's annoying that I must click the hamburger menu, then select Notebooks in order to see them. I can't find any way in settings to change the default/opening view.  I've used Evernote for many many years, and it seems that this was once possible.

Is there any way that this is possible?  If not, I would request that Evernote make this change.  Seems pretty basic to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi.  Sorry,  but all notes is what you get.  Swiping in from the left of your screen should get you the option to switch to a list of notebooks,  if that's preferable to using the burger menu;  or you could create shortcuts to notebooks in the desktop client,  add those to your shortcuts menu,  and get to a specific notebook that way.  There's also a widget which will display various things including a specific notebook or your shortcuts,  without having to open the main app.

Can you explain your intended workflow in a little more detail?  Why is it preferable to see notebooks rather than notes?

I totally agree with @arlcrane. I use notebooks as my main organizing tool, and in the last day I may have added or edited notes in 3 or 4 different notebooks. It's not helpful to see my most recent notes in a list; the one I'm currently looking for may be a page down. But if it opened to the notebooks list, the one I want would likely be on the same page. And it's simply much easier to scan 3 or 4 notebook titles looking for what I want than to scan a dozen note titles. In the Android Product Feedback forum, there's a feature request along these lines with 35 votes. Go give it one more!

I agree that the widget is very helpful, but this option would be great.

On 1/25/2018 at 6:19 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Sorry,  but all notes is what you get.  Swiping in from the left of your screen should get you the option to switch to a list of notebooks,  if that's preferable to using the burger menu;  or you could create shortcuts to notebooks in the desktop client,  add those to your shortcuts menu,  and get to a specific notebook that way.  There's also a widget which will display various things including a specific notebook or your shortcuts,  without having to open the main app.

Can you explain your intended workflow in a little more detail?  Why is it preferable to see notebooks rather than notes?

I have a few dozen Notebooks, each with a dozen or more notes.  That results in a few hundred notes.  Scrolling through these notes to find the one I want is slow and a waste of time and energy.  Opening to the Notebook view would be much faster, and a more appropriate interface in my opinion.  

I already have a home screen folder with shortcuts to specific Notes, which is a huge timesaver.  I'm not going to beat my head against the wall about this, but having the option to view Notebooks as the primary screen just seems like common  sense.  I guess that's why it's not an option. :P

• Like 2

Opening the app with Notebook view makes so much more sense. I know in which notebook to look for  my notes and do not have to scroll to hundreds of notes to find it. Also, I would prefer the screen to show the notebooks as I do not want my private confidential notes to splash all over the screen for others to see, in case i want to show someone something.

• Like 1

Yeah, I always press the back button to get to the Notebook view on my phone - the all notes view is just something that gets in the way of how I look up information.

• Like 1

There's a longstanding feature request for this. You can go there and click the upward arrow at the top of the page to vote for it. I'd advise against holding your breath, though.

• Haha 1