Am I missing important features when using the web version exclusively?

Hello,

I am new to Evernote, but I would rather use the web version only, because I have very little disk space on my PC left. Am I missing any important features? I know that the Windows version is easiert to use and faster, but what besides that am I missing?

• Level 5*

The client software has many features not included in the web version
There are many features, for example import/export

I would find it difficult to use only the web version

The Windows version does not support Selective sync, but there is a demand sync feature that will reduce the disk space use

Ok thanks for your answer. Are there any major differences in ease of use? Is it (much) easier to navigate in the download version? A feature like creating stacks is something I wouldn't want to be missing. You see I am really reluctant to download it because I prefer web apps.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, flowa90 said:

Are there any major differences in ease of use? Is it (much) easier to navigate in the download version? A feature like creating stacks is something I wouldn't want to be missing. You see I am really reluctant to download it because I prefer web apps.

You really should test this out yourself

If you don't want to use your full data file, create a test account with a few notes

Yea thats a good idea and I actually already did that, I just want to make sure that I am not missing something important that is not so obvious. For example creating stacks is not very obvious and I only know that this is possible by watching Youtube videos.

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, flowa90 said:

Sorry I don't understand what that means. Is that pro desktop?

Think about what happens if the Internet or Evernote goes dark.  It could be just a temporary blip, or might last days
You have no access to your notes

I'm happy that Evernote stores the master version of my data on the servers; its safe and a good backup
I also have full database copies on my Mac and iPad

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, flowa90 said:

Sorry I don't understand what that means. Is that pro desktop?

The web client generally isn't fully featured. In fact, it's missing some features that are really important, at least to my use case. It's up to you to determine if it works for you. If you're low on disk space (how low, and how many notes do you expect to have?), then you might want to try the demand sync feature in the Windows client. That way you can use whichever of the web or Windows application works best for you with particular operations...

Thanks for your answers. I guess I just have to test both extensively. I mean only my C drive is quite full, I could also install it on D, I think that should work as well.

Appreciate that you guys took your time to answer.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, flowa90 said:

Thanks for your answers. I guess I just have to test both extensively. I mean only my C drive is quite full, I could also install it on D, I think that should work as well.

Appreciate that you guys took your time to answer.

IMO, if you have the disk space it is a no brainer to use the desktop version, many more features.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, flowa90 said:

I mean only my C drive is quite full, I could also install it on D, I think that should work

You can certainly store your database on a different drive with the Windows version (dunno about the Mac). Tools / Options / General / Evernote local files / Change

I was leaving my job so I uninstalled the Evernote app on my PC at work therefore I was using the web application for couple of days.

I must say if I was solely using the Web application, I wouldn't have this many notes and probably would have looked for a different software. Not that the online version is bad, it just does not work with my fast processing and accessing.

For example, I have PDF documents within my notes almost all the time. So on the desktop app, I can scroll and find my PDF and read it within the note, on the web app, PDF is a link so I have to open it in a new tab. Further, if I want to edit that PDF, on the windows app, I double click the file, it opens in my PDF editor (Bluebeam in my work case), I mark it up, highlight it, circle it etc. and save it. Now the file within the Evernote note itself is modified with my markups. On the web app, I have to download that PDF and open it after the download, mark it up and I assume replace it in the note. (Never done this but you have to download that file to open it besides the web browser viewer).

Keyboard shortcuts (although I did find a Chrome webapp) is another huge time saver on the desktop app especially when you get used to the stuff you use daily. From tagging to moving a note to a notebook etc.

For me, the desktop app is definitely a must for a heavy user to eliminate frustrations and expedite workflows. Not that you cannot use the web app and be productive but my preference is definitely the desktop apps.

• 1 year later...

I have just joined this forum to ask a similar question. Looking at the replies they are just saying the local app is better rather than saying why it is better. I ask because I have now used both albeit for taking and filing notes on the move and having upgrading my laptop I went straight to the web version before installing the local app and I can't see anything really missing except maybe customising the layout a bit.

On 10/27/2019 at 7:54 AM, Ian108 said:

I have just joined this forum to ask a similar question. Looking at the replies they are just saying the local app is better rather than saying why it is better. I ask because I have now used both albeit for taking and filing notes on the move and having upgrading my laptop I went straight to the web version before installing the local app and I can't see anything really missing except maybe customising the layout a bit.

The web app is missing a lot of keyboard shortcuts I use in the desktop version. To me that is a big deal, for others it may not be.

One of the versions of the web app does not show the PDF files, it only shows the icon so you need to open it up in a new tab to see what the tab is. The new version is similar to the desktop so you can see it within the built-in PDF viewer but that version was soooooo slow for me on my last laptop so it was not working out.

When you insert an image to your note, the web app was dropping it to the bottom of the note instead of where I wanted it to be. The Copy past of images was not working for me on the web app either.

The new web app version did not allow me to clear reminders so I had to switch to the old version there again.

I am not sure if the desktop app is better but it definitely works better for my style and workflow. 

• Level 5*
On 10/27/2019 at 4:54 AM, Ian108 said:

I have just joined this forum to ask a similar question. Looking at the replies they are just saying the local app is better rather than saying why it is better...I can't see anything really missing except maybe customising the layout a bit.

I gave one example; import/export   
There are many more examples; you can test and see what's important to you

It is a fact that the Window/Mac platforms are a better choice for features and useability

• Level 5*

Plus 

1. Desktop is way faster
  2. Local notebooks for confidential stuff
  3. Customized views that can be saved including the sort
  4. Merging notes
  5. Search options

And more I've forgotten at this point.  The web is good in a pinch but if you want to get something done quickly and easily the desktop is where the power is.  My opinion anyway.