Why Does Loggin In Require So Much Effort??? - GUI Ergonomics

sundevil98

I'm finally at the point where I can't take it anymore, and am seriously considering leaving Evernote because of (what I realize is) a trivial matter...

Why in the ever-lovin' heck do you require me to jump through so many damn hoops just to log in???

Follow along:

1. I'm at my laptop, I want to jot down some ideas, so point my web browser to "evernote.com"
  2. That page loads - Lots of pictures, and other good info - most of it trying to get me to upgrade from my free service (I get it - you want to make money). As a user for the site/service you'd expect I could just log-in from the front page. Wrong! I now need to click "Log in".
  3. The Log In page loads... Thankfully, my user name is there, so I don't have to type that. But, there's no where to put my password. OK... So, I click "Continue".
  4. The page drops down, and now, I can put in my password. My browser is set up to remember this, so it's already in the field. NOW I can log in!!! I click "Sign In".
  5. The page finally loads, and I can click "+" to start a new note.

Let's count the clicks it takes from idea to adding a note:

1. Clicking in my browser's address bar
  2. Clicking on "Log In"
  3. (Sometimes) clicking in the "Enter email address or username" field
  4. Clicking "Continue"
  5. (Sometimes) clicking in the "Password" field
  6. Clicking the "Submit" button
  7. Clicking the "+ (New Note)" button

This is a GUI ergonomic nightmare for such a simple task. I hope it can be fixed. I'm sure I'm not the only one that gets driven bonkers by this.

Clearly, there's got to be a better way to streamline this... The easiest being letting me put in my username and password at the evernote.com home page, it'd be great if they're "remembered" there (at my option)... Kind of like how just about every other log-in page on the internet works.

Better yet... When I decide I want to type out an email, and I go to my gmail page, I just type in gmail.com in the address bar, I'm "remembered", and it goes straight to my inbox... I click "compose" and BAM!!!! I'm typing the email!! Would be great if Evernote made it just as easy to start a new note.

Any chance it can get fixed?

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Let me count the ways...

• At the laptop with the desktop client installed and Evernote open and logged in - click the icon for the app,  and Ctrl+N or New Note for a blank
  • Same situation and open Evernote.com in a browser - in many cases Evernote says "you're already logged in (to the app) - click here for your notes"
  • Same situation and a click on Help - option "Go to my account page" - option there to open Notes
  • Save a bookmark to https://www.evernote.com/Home.action  - OK,  there you got me;  but at least you're immediately at the 'email or user name' prompt.
  • Dislike the number of clicks in the above cases?  Check out Phrase Express,  AHK or any automation app to record the keystrokes involved.

I'm guessing that the two-part login is an option to avoid typing barely-legible letters and numbers as a security check - you have to be a frustrated human to get through the chicane here.  It adds extra steps so that password cracking routine that jumps through 100,000 password options in 10 seconds is going to have a nervous breakdown after the second pass.  (NB all the quick ways into the app need you to be logged in on the laptop first...)

You could always put in a feature request to replace the password two-step with a CAPTCHA step,  but that still involves typing...  and I hate those with a vengeance.  ;)

• 1 month later...

I feel the same way.  I HATE the new Evernote.  The design is hard to follow and require too much effort to move notes to the right folder.  The old Evernote, about 10 years ago was so much more user-friendly.  When they changed it, I shopped for alternatives.  I found Nimbus which is so much easier.  I just closed my other Evernote account and kept one with old information.  I find Evernote a royal pain.  I wish they would STOP trying to make it so fancy and easier to navigate.  Who the heck wants to go through so much to log in?

Archived