Best way to add Hundreds of Pictures?

• Level 5*

Use the Import folder function.  Create a folder on your desktop and a notebook in EN.  Go to Tools - Import folders and set the relationship.  Drop your photos into the folder and they will appear in notes in the notebook.  You can then tag them and move to another notebook if you like.  

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, davideroccato said:

I would like to find a way to upload more than 500 photos.

Which platform?  

I'm on a Mac and would use an import folder as per @CalS.  I can also drag the photos onto my Evernote app icon

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, davideroccato said:

I have a Macbook Pro. I just looked at the Evernote program, but I don't see in the menù "Tools", and I don't find any "Import folders". Where should it be?

The import folder feature is automatic in Windows
On Macs, we get to install a folder and apply folder actions attached to an Applescript

Lets leave the import folder for another day.  Just drag the photo's to your Evernote app icon (dock)

edit: You can also drag  the notes into a notebook

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, davideroccato said:

I've tried drag&drop with 2 photos and it worked. Each photo opened a note separately with the right name. How many do you think I can drag&drop in one time without occuring in making a mess somewhere?

No idea, but it's smart to use smaller batches

Why not try 10, then 50, then 100, then .... <kaboom>: I always push it too far

It's also a good idea to space it out and let syncing complete between batches

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, davideroccato said:

I haven't checked yet but besides JPG and PNG, do you maybe know if Evernote can handle also TIFF and RAW?

Evernote can handle file attachments of any format

But, Macs only have inline view for JPG and PNG
TIFF files shows as 
5a68f4fb0707b_ScreenShot2018-01-24at13_04_06.png.6de8d9d99e7d0001e3a2b3e9fe07eccf.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5
34 minutes ago, davideroccato said:

Sure, I will do so. I haven't checked yet but besides JPG and PNG, do you maybe know if Evernote can handle also TIFF and RAW?

Thanks a lot

Warning bells went off when I saw your quantity (500 photos) and again when I saw your interest in RAW.  

If you want to use lots of high-resolution photos, you should proceed slowly and cautiously. 

There are photo database programs actually designed for photo storage and searching, depending on the size of your photo collection.

• Level 5*

There was some question a while ago about what kind of file compression Evernote use and what effect this would have on HD image files*.  You might want to run some checks on unattached files vs the same file after being attached and extracted back out.  Beware also that individual RAW files tend to be big enough to push note size limits and 500 HD files could use up or exceed the monthly upload allowance in one go.  What are the system limits of Evernote?

Evernote wouldn't be my first choice for a gallery of pictures - I use Flickr and Lightroom and an external hard drive for storage - and if I wanted to create a gallery purely for display I'd generate a bunch of smaller-size thumbnails at 96dpi.  I don't know the details of your project though - let us know how this goes!

* This might be worse in Windows than Mac because image files are physically incorporated into the EXB file in Windows - I gather that's not necessarily the case for Macs.  Translating HD RAW or JPG files to EXB and back again might affect the quality.  I have no idea whether that is the case though...  :huh:

• Like 1

Thank you for the details. 

Yes, I suppose Evernote is not the best for pictures but that quantity is not so much for me. I have dropbox, Amazon and Flickr as well. I wished Evernote was better developed for photos as well, I just don't like to have too many different services.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Yes, each picture is in it’s own note with the filename (not extension) as the title. I was very pleased. Before this when imported them they all went into one 53 MB note which was not useful. 

They are scans of 3x5 cards created as late as 1976, so many of them are dated and of little value. But it is nice to have them accessible again. I’ve been going through putting meaningful titles on and sometimes adding annotation after the image. I wanted to rename the titles because the names were on the order of Scan001, Scan002, ...

Anyway, I am tickled.  Now if I could just do the same for 3000 AskSam notes and 3000 PersonalBrain notes.

AskSam should not be too hard because all records were exported to one PDF file with the tilde (~) symbol separating records. All I need is some script to separate them into 3000 files using tilde as the delimiter and I’ll be in business.

• Level 5

Nice about the pictures. Personally I use real photo library programs to organize my pics, mainly because I can sort or search there by using the EXIF-Metadata that comes with every digital picture. But I can understand why using EN is your preference. Have fun !

With importing stuff, if you want to get some feedback, you could open a new thread here in the forum for each source format you want to import. First it is easier for the „import professionals“ in the forum community to see it and give specific support, second it helps later other users who may come and search for a solution.