Restore note to the notebook whence it came

Andrew R

Idea

After years of using Evernote I've yet to encounter a situation where I wouldn't want to restore a previous version of a note to the notebook where it currently exists.   

Why then does the restore interface default to creating a new notebook with no option to do otherwise?   What is the mysterious use case for creating the note in its own special notebook?  Can we at least have an option to not create a new notebook?   I'd trade that for having the option of whether the new notebook should be local or synced (who cares - it'll be deleted in the next minute anyway!)

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Andrew R said:

I'm specifically referring to restoring previous versions of an existing note, via Note > Note History... > Import.  

It could be useful (restore)

Currently Evernote does not have a "restore" function; the generic import function is being used

The import function has deficiencies.  The backup format (.enex) is missing Notebook, and note id

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Could be useful, but Evernote does not have a "restore" function; there's only a generic import

The import function has other deficiencies.  The backup format (.enex) is missing Notebook, and note id

OK sorry, when I say "restore" I mean import a previous version.   I'm saying "Restore" because that's why I wanted the previous version.   Just don't understand why it needs to go in brand new notebook every time that then needs to be deleted.    

And while the backup format may be missing that information the UI for this is launched from an existing note so that information is available by definition.

Wouldn't be so concerned if undo reliably worked (I just had a table get overwritten by mistake and undo refused to reinstate it) but that's a separate issue.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

They restore to my default notebook here, not a new notebook. 

It's a Mac thing.  The import function creates a new notebook.

This could be considered a plus; the imported note doesn't get buried, it's quite distinct

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, DTLow said:

It's a Mac thing.  The import function creates a new notebook.

This could be considered a plus; the imported note doesn't get buried, it's quite distinct

Did it change, because I used to restore notes all of the time when I kept discovering the Mac was useless for merging notes in any kind of desired order. I've since quite that and only merge on the Windows client.

But when I did do this a lot - as recently as a few months ago, it always restored to my default @Inbox notebook.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Sorry, I have no info on this

That's ok. After reading more of this thread he isn't talking about restoring a deleted note from trash, but importing a previous version. Two different things.

Archived