Notes get duplicated onto overwrite other

Hi,

I've been an Evernote user for more than 6 years now, and I'm encountering the following problem since a few months: inadvertently, all the content of a note will be replaced by the content of an other note, in a way that is not reversible. It's usually the note that I've viewed the last that get overwritten by the note that I viewed just before.
I already lost a few important notes this way, and even if the problem is not as dire since I'm doing backups regularly now, it's still an issue.

Can you help me?
I'm running Windows 10 and Evernote 6.8.7.6387.

Thanks

• Level 5*

Hi.  This forum is -mainly- supported by users.  It's read by Evernote developers,  but has no link into other support channels.  That team is available on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a paying customer,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not.

This sort of activity is unusual in the Windows client,  though there have been issues with iOS in the past.  Do you use any Apple devices?

Data corruption or loss is always possible when using a computer - everyone needs to keep a local backup in case of need.  Evernote do offer a Note History service which backs up every  account two or three times a day.  It runs on all accounts at all times,  but only premium users have access.  It should be possible to upgrade for a single month if you have lost important data.

Same thing happened to me today. Twice. This morning a less important note got overwritten. I managed to get it back somehow, by deleting it and restoring it from the trash. Happened again just now, this time with a more important note. I can't seem to repeat that fix again.

Bloulou, do you know if paying for the upgrade in order to get note history helps? 

• Level 5*

Note history should recover notes that have been on the server for 12 hours or more - the backup runs a couple of times each day.  If this is a genuine issue with the Windows client,  I'd recommend that you do report it to Support - via Twitter if necessary.  Unexpected data loss is always concerning but Evernote can't fix it unless they have some actual cases to look at...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Note history should recover notes that have been on the server for 12 hours or more - the backup runs a couple of times each day. 

My experience is that it is more frequent than that.  As soon as you sync a new note it will have note history.  And you may or may not end up with a version each time you mod the note.  Does not happen all the time but did in this test I just ran, created a note and edited it twice with syncs betwixt.

Image.png.3b4bfbdd57d15a13eebc2c0de14c8fc1.png

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Never ran tests as such,  though I have used the feature a few times.  Was just being conservative with Evernote's help page (my bold text) -

One of the great features of Evernote Premium is the ability to access previous versions of a note using note history. Note history takes a snapshot of the entire note a few times a day and allows you to roll back a note from the Mac or Windows desktop client or Evernote Web. Evernote’s version control of content makes working in teams and sharing information easier.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Never ran tests as such,  though I have used the feature a few times.  Was just being conservative with Evernote's help page (my bold text) -

Probably the right path.  No guarantee as to exactly when the history is taken, though it seems to be more frequent.  I would hazard a guess that history is created when the note is first created and when the note is modified after some time frame.  Seems to work that way from my tests.  Modify a note created yesterday and right away you have two entries in history, yesterday and current.  FWIW.

Hi, I had the same problem of a note getting overwritten by another (on Windows Desktop v6.8.7.6387). I noticed the note preview was corrupted a few days ago, but today was confirmation that the note itself had been overwritten. First time I have had an issue such as this, but needless to say I have now lost some long standing info that was fairly important to me. I've read that paying for a subscription to get access to history might be able to get it back, but I would think such recovery should be provided free since data has been lost due to a bug within the Evernote sync'ing process.

Bloulou - it would be good to hear how you get on with the support to see if they can do anything.

Hello Bloulou - I managed to get mine recovered. It was only possible since I have Evernote on both Windows Desktop and also a phone, so may not be possible in your case. I hadn't used Evernote on my phone for about a week, around the time the corruption occurred. I put phone into flight mode, so that opening Evernote wouldn't sync. I ignored messages about unable to connect to server, but once Evernote on phone opened I could see the original note I wanted to recover was still there. I made some minor edits to make it be the newest version of the note. I closed Evernote on phone, turned off flight mode, and re-opened Evernote. The newer but original note was synced from phone and I now have it on my Desktop again.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I contacted support via twitter and after a few messages they upgraded my account to premium: I was indeed able to recover the few notes I lost these past weeks.
But they were not able to give me an explanation; my computer crashed the same day that I had my last overwrite, but not the other times so I can't confirm it's this.

Archived