(Archived) Feature Request: IMAP/POP3 access

I have read that Evernote has discontinued support for IMAP, but I'm wondering if someone has had success with setting it up, and if so, what the configuration is. I'm trying to access my notes from within Apple Mail, but the end goal is to get all of my notes into Gmail--and am trying to avoid emailing them to myself from Evernote--though that's looking to be the only option at this point.

Thanks for taking a look, and please post suggestions here.

-Ted

We originally implemented IMAP to try to give "offline support" for mobile clients, but we found that the IMAP implementations in mobile phones were too unreliable to be used. (For example, most phones won't retrieve attachments or images from messages until you click on them in the client, so they won't be available offline when you need them.)

We discontinued IMAP support last year, and turned off the IMAP server last month.

• 1 month later...

I understand the IMAP service is no longer available. I wanted to just state I liked having this option. It made it simple when I wanted to attach a note I created in the software to another system like Salesforce (Yes, I'm aware there is an Evernote Salesforce extension but it requires the top of the line SF account to use it.) Most other software packages would allow bringing in email and making my notes email made it so so simple.

If anyone has any other suggestion on how to link my notes to a CRM like Salesforce, I'm all ears.

• 2 months later...

Given the absence of offline note viewing with Evernote's WM client, I'm trying to get IMAP access to my notes, but failed so far. When I telnet to w w w . e v e r n o t e . c o m at port 143 or 993 I get "Connection refused", which explains my failed attempts. On the other hand, although Evernote doesn't support IMAP access anymore, I don't find anything that suggests the service has been discontinued. So....

1) Is the IMAP service still available?

2) If so, are the instructions that are floating around on the web (like this one: http://www.se.cuhk.edu.hk/~hmleung/wordpress/?p=470#comment-3773) still correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

No, we no longer have any POP3 or IMAP interfaces. The handling of POP and IMAP on mobile phones was too poor to provide the value we wanted ... for example, the phones would rarely download attachments until you viewed the message, so they wouldn't really give an "offline mode."

They also generated a huge amount of traffic and load against our server.

No, we no longer have any POP3 or IMAP interfaces. The handling of POP and IMAP on mobile phones was too poor to provide the value we wanted ... for example, the phones would rarely download attachments until you viewed the message, so they wouldn't really give an "offline mode."

Thank you so much for your quick and clear response. Unfortunately, my notes being dependent on the availability of internet is a show stopper for me. It means that as soon as I cross the border (and mind you, the Netherlands is a small country) my notes become practically unavailable on my phone. Which is a real pity, as I love the rest of the functionality and the quality of the software.

Hence, as many have done before me the past two years, I'd like to advocate local storage of notes by the mobile clients just as the desktop clients do. With the 8 GB memory cards nowadays, limited storage is no excuse anymore. Keep up the good work!

• 7 months later...

That's unfortunate.

IMAP was a great solution, for Symbian users.

Honestly, if Evernote would support the Symbian OS, I'd buy a premium account.

• 1 year later...

I would very much like to be able to setup Evernote as a true email client (IMAP preferred), in addition to the other great features that Evernote has. I already set up all of email accounts to either blind copy (BCC) or forward incoming emails to Evernote. This way I don't have to check each different email account, as they dump into one location, that my life is in anyway.

Thank you.

• Level 5*

I would very much like to be able to setup Evernote as a true email client (IMAP preferred), in addition to the other great features that Evernote has. I already set up all of email accounts to either blind copy (BCC) or forward incoming emails to Evernote. This way I don't have to check each different email account, as they dump into one location, that my life is in anyway.

Thank you.

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like a cool idea in theory, but I bet it would have a dramatic impact on the amount of money budgeted for servers and server staff, while greatly increasing the cost per user, and putting them into direct competition with services like Google. I'm not sure the benefits to us would be worth the resources invested in it, but you never know, so it doesn't hurt to ask :)

By the way, it seems like you already have a pretty convenient system set up. Personally, I am conflicted about emails. Some are ones I want to remember, but many lose relevance over time, if they ever had any at all. I tend to just forward important ones into Evernote and archive everything else in Google.

• Level 5*

I use both Outlook and Gmail email accounts, and while I do file a lot of stuff in Evernote (mainly the emails with big attachments) I stopped short of redirecting emails there because 1) there are limits on the number of daily email inputs Evernote will accept 2) there's an upper limit on the number of notes, and 3) it seems kinda redundant to take stuff out of storage in one searchable system and move it to another, especially when "that email last week" came in through one or other of my inputs which seems like the logical place to start looking for it.

Plus Gmail has so many nice little tricks to help with filing and finding again, and it offers multi-GB storage that doesn't kill my upload limit.. no, I think Evernote is wise not to try to compete... not yet, at least.

(Feels like there should be an evil laugh in there somewhere - mwahahahahaha - but it wasn't meant to be threatening, honest)

• 3 months later...

I don't want all my emails resent to Evernote but when I do BCC one, I'd like the contact info of the person I'm writing to in Evernote. That way I can do a search on that person's name and have a history of my relevant emails with them. I can also add notes to that or connect it with notes about phone calls to that perons, pictures etc. . Makes a cleaner record than finding it all in gmail.

Archived