Jump to content
substream

Interference from AdBlock in Chrome

Recommended Posts

I just wanted to point out to someone an issue that has recently come up between Evernote and my AdBlock plugin for Chrome. This only started happening a few days ago, but my notes were coming up with a title only; absolutely no body text. I tried refreshing, hard refreshing, restarting, etc. Finally, I noticed a little "1" bubble on my adblock button, as if it had blocked a popup or something. I disabled AdBlock for Evernote (domain level), and voila! Problem solved. Just thought I'd share.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, substream said:

I just wanted to point out to someone an issue that has recently come up between Evernote and my AdBlock plugin for Chrome. This only started happening a few days ago, but my notes were coming up with a title only; absolutely no body text. I tried refreshing, hard refreshing, restarting, etc. Finally, I noticed a little "1" bubble on my adblock button, as if it had blocked a popup or something. I disabled AdBlock for Evernote (domain level), and voila! Problem solved. Just thought I'd share.

Yup. Noticed UBlock Origin caused the same thing. I whitelisted the Evernote site after that. They don't hit you with ads and are running a lot of complex scripts and code on that page to make it work.

 

Share this post


Link to post

So how did you whitelisted it? Still exists 2 years later.

Share this post


Link to post

In the AdBlocker you can declare a web site / URL as not to be blocked = whitelisted.

It depends on the AdBlocker how exactly to do this.  If in doubt, go to the help in the AdBlocker, or to the AdBlocker website.

The blocking has nothing to do with EN, but can stop EN web client from working. 

Share this post


Link to post

Thats was my question. Try adding Ublock origin. Right click ublock -> options. Open FIlter List. Annoyances 1/7 select Fanboys annoyances. Try clipping. Then what to put in whitelist? I have added in whitelist : Evernote.com

Doesnt work- still clipper syncing forever.

  

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

In the AdBlocker you can declare a web site / URL as not to be blocked = whitelisted.

It depends on the AdBlocker how exactly to do this.  If in doubt, go to the help in the AdBlocker, or to the AdBlocker website.

The blocking has nothing to do with EN, but can stop EN web client from working. 

What is EN?

image.thumb.png.7f7751640cc5886a9f6ae9369cc68da7.png

Share this post


Link to post

No idea ...

a) Not using Chrome

b) Not using an ad blocker. My complete home network is virtually ad-free. I am running a Pi-Hole on a Raspberry, which sucks in nearly 100% of ad traffic without interfering with my useful software. The whole stuff is open source - much better than relying on the Ad Bloc industry.

So sorry, can’t help you any further. It seems it is try-and-error time, if nobody else has a better idea.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, kangarooo said:

Thats was my question. Try adding Ublock origin. Right click ublock -> options. Open FIlter List. Annoyances 1/7 select Fanboys annoyances. Try clipping. Then what to put in whitelist? I have added in whitelist : Evernote.com

Doesnt work- still clipper syncing forever.

Not sure it helps, but I use Brave browser which is based on Chrome to some extent, similar settings pages and extension store.  Brave blocks ads itself, no need for another ad blocker best I can tell.,  Might be worth a try.

Full disclosure, I also use Private Internet Access for a VPN.  It has a built in ad blocker function (PIA MACE) which works well if I have to use Chrome for something.  FWIW.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/22/2020 at 6:50 PM, CalS said:

Not sure it helps, but I use Brave browser which is based on Chrome to some extent, similar settings pages and extension store.  Brave blocks ads itself, no need for another ad blocker best I can tell.,  Might be worth a try.

Full disclosure, I also use Private Internet Access for a VPN.  It has a built in ad blocker function (PIA MACE) which works well if I have to use Chrome for something.  FWIW.

Different ad lists propably. I mentioned one ad list i had added. Brave doesnt have tab sync across devices. But Evernote should work with all ad lists.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/15/2018 at 11:01 PM, substream said:

I just wanted to point out to someone an issue that has recently come up between Evernote and my AdBlock plugin for Chrome. This only started happening a few days ago, but my notes were coming up with a title only; absolutely no body text. I tried refreshing, hard refreshing, restarting, etc. Finally, I noticed a little "1" bubble on my adblock button, as if it had blocked a popup or something. I disabled AdBlock for Evernote (domain level), and voila! Problem solved. Just thought I'd share.

Thank's for your question.I found a solution through my adbloquer.Thank you

Share this post


Link to post

There are often such cases where Adblocker blocks those sites, ads, and windows that it considers harmful to your PC or that contain spam. This is a pretty good function, it's like an antivirus for advertising and for all kinds of harmful information. I honestly like how such applications work. Personally, I use something like that. I had recently read about adblock for chrome and removed an adblocker from that list. No ads or unwanted sites appear now. I didn't even expect how beneficial it could be.

Share this post


Link to post

Adds can really be a PITA - but I personally dislike the business model behind ad blockers.

They first try to reach a „good“ presence on client computers. Then many of the companies behind the ad blockers approach the companies placing a lot of adds. They can get a place on the whitelist of the ad blocker when paying a „fee“ to the ad blocker developer.

Sort of indirect ransom, IMHO. 

My personal approach is different: I run a Raspberry Pi on my home network, with a free software called Pi-Hole. It collects all internet traffic on my home network, compares it to black- and whitelists installed, and decides on what to deliver to the clients (computers, tablets, phones etc.) and what to suppress. The lists are open source, the software does not harm the companies relying on advertising for their income (because the advertisements are delivered, technically spoken), and I have control of what happens.

The downside ? Investment in a Pi, need to learn some Linux, from time to time check on the dashboard. However it is interesting to see how much gets filtered away, including advertisements, trackers and even some malware. More than 25% to my internet traffic ends up in the gravitational pull of the Pi-Hole.

Share this post


Link to post

My main defense against ads is the VPN I use which has a built in ad blocker which does a fine job.  Never have cared for Chrome for all the usual reasons.  I was using Brave for a while which was like belts and suspenders in conjunction with the VPN re ad blocking but then Brave started to have lags in saving PDFs.  Scary of scary for me, I gave Edge a try and it actually performs well.  Its based upon Chromium so it has the same look and feel of Chrome and Brave.  Never in my life did I think I would say Microsoft created an acceptable browser.  Hades must be cooler these days.  🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...