Interference from AdBlock in Chrome

I just wanted to point out to someone an issue that has recently come up between Evernote and my AdBlock plugin for Chrome. This only started happening a few days ago, but my notes were coming up with a title only; absolutely no body text. I tried refreshing, hard refreshing, restarting, etc. Finally, I noticed a little "1" bubble on my adblock button, as if it had blocked a popup or something. I disabled AdBlock for Evernote (domain level), and voila! Problem solved. Just thought I'd share.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, substream said:

I just wanted to point out to someone an issue that has recently come up between Evernote and my AdBlock plugin for Chrome. This only started happening a few days ago, but my notes were coming up with a title only; absolutely no body text. I tried refreshing, hard refreshing, restarting, etc. Finally, I noticed a little "1" bubble on my adblock button, as if it had blocked a popup or something. I disabled AdBlock for Evernote (domain level), and voila! Problem solved. Just thought I'd share.

Yup. Noticed UBlock Origin caused the same thing. I whitelisted the Evernote site after that. They don't hit you with ads and are running a lot of complex scripts and code on that page to make it work.

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5

In the AdBlocker you can declare a web site / URL as not to be blocked = whitelisted.

It depends on the AdBlocker how exactly to do this.  If in doubt, go to the help in the AdBlocker, or to the AdBlocker website.

The blocking has nothing to do with EN, but can stop EN web client from working. 

Thats was my question. Try adding Ublock origin. Right click ublock -> options. Open FIlter List. Annoyances 1/7 select Fanboys annoyances. Try clipping. Then what to put in whitelist? I have added in whitelist : Evernote.com

Doesnt work- still clipper syncing forever.

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

In the AdBlocker you can declare a web site / URL as not to be blocked = whitelisted.

It depends on the AdBlocker how exactly to do this.  If in doubt, go to the help in the AdBlocker, or to the AdBlocker website.

The blocking has nothing to do with EN, but can stop EN web client from working. 

What is EN?

image.thumb.png.7f7751640cc5886a9f6ae9369cc68da7.png

• Level 5

No idea ...

a) Not using Chrome

b) Not using an ad blocker. My complete home network is virtually ad-free. I am running a Pi-Hole on a Raspberry, which sucks in nearly 100% of ad traffic without interfering with my useful software. The whole stuff is open source - much better than relying on the Ad Bloc industry.

So sorry, can’t help you any further. It seems it is try-and-error time, if nobody else has a better idea.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, kangarooo said:

Thats was my question. Try adding Ublock origin. Right click ublock -> options. Open FIlter List. Annoyances 1/7 select Fanboys annoyances. Try clipping. Then what to put in whitelist? I have added in whitelist : Evernote.com

Doesnt work- still clipper syncing forever.

Not sure it helps, but I use Brave browser which is based on Chrome to some extent, similar settings pages and extension store.  Brave blocks ads itself, no need for another ad blocker best I can tell.,  Might be worth a try.

Full disclosure, I also use Private Internet Access for a VPN.  It has a built in ad blocker function (PIA MACE) which works well if I have to use Chrome for something.  FWIW.

On 3/22/2020 at 6:50 PM, CalS said:

Not sure it helps, but I use Brave browser which is based on Chrome to some extent, similar settings pages and extension store.  Brave blocks ads itself, no need for another ad blocker best I can tell.,  Might be worth a try.

Full disclosure, I also use Private Internet Access for a VPN.  It has a built in ad blocker function (PIA MACE) which works well if I have to use Chrome for something.  FWIW.

Different ad lists propably. I mentioned one ad list i had added. Brave doesnt have tab sync across devices. But Evernote should work with all ad lists.

On 1/15/2018 at 11:01 PM, substream said:

Thank's for your question.I found a solution through my adbloquer.Thank you

• 1 month later...

There are often such cases where Adblocker blocks those sites, ads, and windows that it considers harmful to your PC or that contain spam. This is a pretty good function, it's like an antivirus for advertising and for all kinds of harmful information. I honestly like how such applications work. Personally, I use something like that. I had recently read about adblock for chrome and removed an adblocker from that list. No ads or unwanted sites appear now. I didn't even expect how beneficial it could be.

• Level 5

Adds can really be a PITA - but I personally dislike the business model behind ad blockers.

They first try to reach a „good“ presence on client computers. Then many of the companies behind the ad blockers approach the companies placing a lot of adds. They can get a place on the whitelist of the ad blocker when paying a „fee“ to the ad blocker developer.

Sort of indirect ransom, IMHO. 

My personal approach is different: I run a Raspberry Pi on my home network, with a free software called Pi-Hole. It collects all internet traffic on my home network, compares it to black- and whitelists installed, and decides on what to deliver to the clients (computers, tablets, phones etc.) and what to suppress. The lists are open source, the software does not harm the companies relying on advertising for their income (because the advertisements are delivered, technically spoken), and I have control of what happens.

The downside ? Investment in a Pi, need to learn some Linux, from time to time check on the dashboard. However it is interesting to see how much gets filtered away, including advertisements, trackers and even some malware. More than 25% to my internet traffic ends up in the gravitational pull of the Pi-Hole.

• Level 5*

My main defense against ads is the VPN I use which has a built in ad blocker which does a fine job.  Never have cared for Chrome for all the usual reasons.  I was using Brave for a while which was like belts and suspenders in conjunction with the VPN re ad blocking but then Brave started to have lags in saving PDFs.  Scary of scary for me, I gave Edge a try and it actually performs well.  Its based upon Chromium so it has the same look and feel of Chrome and Brave.  Never in my life did I think I would say Microsoft created an acceptable browser.  Hades must be cooler these days.  🤷‍♂️

• 1 year later...

I don't know why, but this happens to me very often with various ad blocks, can anyone advise a good ad block that won't block everything in a row that appears in my browser? I'm sorry that I'm writing in such an old topic, I'm just not sure that I want to create a new topic just to find an adblock.

As far as I know, most of the Adblock extensions work the same way. You will not be able to get rid of your problem since the AdBlock performs its primary task, blocking pop-ups that it considers unnecessary. If you want the AdBlock to stop interfering with your browser, then reconfigure your ad blocker so that it stops blocking ads where you don't need this kind of feature. If you still want to find another, more reliable AdBlock, then I advise you to visit a similar article softwaretesttips.com , where you can find a list of the best adblockers.