notes

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, timeverace said:

good morning - my notes are blanc!!! any ideas? please help - needed!!!

Can you add some details, like device/platform

Is it the note content that's blank?
Can you see the titles in the note list pane?
A screenshot might help

Me too. It's Notebooks and note titles are showing, note contents pane is empty even though I know there is text in that note that shows up with the web interface.

WIndows 10 1709 (Oct 2017) PC Desktop App,

Screenshot attached.

Doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of didn't help. Downloaded latest version - 6.8.7.6387 (306387) Public (CE Build ce-1.36.3494)

I was using it yesterday OK. Today the only change I made was to upgrade Firefox / LastPass / Xmarks from 55.0.3 to 57.0.3

evernote-blank.JPG

I just looked my log and there are thousands of entries, several per second still occuring, saying:

"5:22:26 [INFO   ] [1804] [6888] Starting EvernoteSubprocess.exe
15:22:26 [INFO   ] [1804] [6888]  * Command-line params: --type=gpu-process --no-sandbox --lang=en-US --log-file="C:\Users\Kim\Evernote\Logs\cef.log" --log-severity=disable --product-version="Evernote Windows/306387 (en-US, DDL); Windows/10.0.0 (Win64);" --gpu-vendor-id=0x8086 --gpu-device-id=0x0126 --gpu-driver-vendor="Intel Corporation" --gpu-driver-version=9.17.10.4459 --gpu-driver-date=5-19-2016 --gpu-secondary-vendor-ids=0x10de --gpu-secondary-device-ids=0x0dfa --gpu-active-vendor-id=0x8086 --gpu-active-device-id=0x0126 --lang=en-US --log-file="C:\Users\Kim\Evernote\Logs\cef.log" --log-severity=disable --product-version="Evernote Windows/306387 (en-US, DDL); Windows/10.0.0 (Win64);" --service-request-channel-token=05F3595E5F2F4FC7EA6C1F895F18EEBC --mojo-platform-channel-handle=5064 /prefetch:2"

Task manager showed 3 instances of EvernoteSubprocess.exe running. Two were stable with 6-7 seconds of CPU time and using 0% CPU. The third constantly restarted, never racking up more then 0 CPU seconds.

I uninstalled Evernote 6.8.7 and downgraded to Evernote_6.1.2.2292 (Aug 2017) and everything's working normally now. FWIW, there are no EvernoteSubprocess.exe processes running.

Whoops, 6.1.2 was from June 2016. I just installed evernote-6-6-4-5512 (July 2017) over it and everything's still OK. Still no EvernoteSubprocesses present, so they must have been recently added.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, KimR said:

Still no EvernoteSubprocesses present, so they must have been recently added.

Not sure why you're focusing on this. Evernote does stuff in the background. We want it to do stuff in the background, otherwise the UI freezes. 

I have EvernoteSubprocess's present (4 currently), and everything's working fine.

That would be because the fourth EvernoteSubprocess.exe was CRASHING AND RESTARTING multiple times per second. I believe it's the crashing that was keeping the note contents from displaying.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, KimR said:

That would be because the fourth EvernoteSubprocess.exe was CRASHING AND RESTARTING multiple times per second. I believe it's the crashing that was keeping the note contents from displaying.

You could be right, but I don't see in your log excerpt where the subprocess is crashing. It could just have finished doing what it was supposed to be doing, then another one spun up in its place. Flip side is that I'm not seeing those entries in my log file, but since we don't know what the subprocess is actually doing (or intended to do), it's all a little unclear. And it's also not clear that that's the same problem the original poster is having.

@timeverace: can you verify whether you're seeing the same thing in your log that @KimR reported?

Jeff, sorry I wasn't clear. When I opened the activity log from the help menu it was actively scrolling the message I posted about the subprocess starting. There were hundreds of these messages, 3-4 scrolling by per second, with no intervening messages, just start,start,start,start...

I no longer have the log file. If someone from Evernote development would  like to investigate this I can reinstall 6.8.7 and try to recreate the problem.

I was a software developer for 25 years and I can't imagine designing a (sub)process that would , on purpose, start and terminate several times a second for hundreds of iterations while the application wasn't being used.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, KimR said:

I was a software developer for 25 years and I can't imagine designing a (sub)process that would , on purpose, start and terminate several times a second for hundreds of iterations while the application wasn't being used.

I can't imagine such a subprocess either, but it's not clear what that particular invocation of EvernoteSubProcess.exe is doing, so it could also just be a failure of imagination on my part. Hard to tell, though I wouldn't be surprised if something's awry.

2 hours ago, KimR said:

I no longer have the log file. If someone from Evernote development would  like to investigate this I can reinstall 6.8.7 and try to recreate the problem.

Unless you actually deleted it, it might still be hanging around; in the Evernote application, Tools / Options / General / and click on the "Open log folder" link.

Thanks for the pointer to the log folder. There is a log from yesterday but it starts with 6.1.2 starting up. I uninstalled 6.8.7 so that might have wiped out the old log.

The log file begins with:

Log opened on 2018/01/15 15:38:55 (UTC-8:00)

15:38:55 [16968] Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe"
15:38:55 [16968] Evernote for Windows 6.1.2.2292 (302292) Public
15:38:55 [16968] Client info: Evernote Windows/302292 (en-US); Windows/10.0.16299 (Win64);

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, jefito said:

I can't imagine such a subprocess either, but it's not clear what that particular invocation of EvernoteSubProcess.exe is doing

Sometimes a repetitive background process is cycled to prevent it from "owning" the machine.  Wake up, got work do it, repeat; no work go to sleep for a while then start over.  Of course, may not have a thing to do with what is occurring here.

As a lark I opened up task manager.  It would seem if EN is the last app to have focus then two of the sub processes do a little something every second or so after whatever edit was done is completed and processed I suppose.  As soon as I click on the open desktop the cycling stops.  

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to be having the same issue as the OP. But it's only affecting random notes. I am not concerned about the background processes nor have tried to uninstall/reinstall but I've noticed this happening and started digging into it today.

The first ones I caught were very old notes, web clippings, as I was able to fill them back in with the saved link. I've found 2 fresh web clippings today that are showing blank on EN Windows (Win 10) but are visible from the web interface. Below is a sample. Perhaps this is a bug with the Chrome Web Clipper somehow but never had this issue (or at least noticed) until this year. Currently on 6.9.6.6729 but I'm pretty sure it was happening with the prior non-beta release (I always take non-beta updates on release.)

image.thumb.png.bc53d56c69e03f46f216e4f82f67e2e8.png

Here is what I pulled from the log:image.thumb.png.280bd2cbba1f32871a7b057b596e612f.png 

Archived