Custom Dictionary Installed on Windows Desktop?

Greetings.  I'm running Evernote on Windows 10.  After installation, the custom dictionary ends up on my Windows desktop, which isn't ideal.  I'd like help moving them elsewhere.  After a fresh installation, two files appear on the desktop: Custom Dictionary.txt and Custom Dictionary.txt.backup.  Deleting these files removes the functionality of the custom dictionary.  Reinstalling the application didn't help, the custom dictionary files reappear on my desktop.

During install, I installed Evernote to the default file location, C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\

When I select Tools --> Options --> General --> Open Database folder, and then navigate up a folder, there is no "Dict" folder.

Any idea what the issue is?  Help!  Thanks in advance.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Dictionary files on the desktop is certainly not the normal location - although I just searched for the files on my Windows 10 system and did not find them anywhere.  I do get a 'Dict' subfolder folder with a User.dic present.

Not sure what to suggest - if a reinstall didn't sort this out,  you could try using (the free) Revo Uninstaller software to nuke your system completely free of all Evernote traces,  then do a clean reinstall.  Or you could raise this with Evernote Support - https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a paying customer,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, spyder22446688 said:

Greetings.  I'm running Evernote on Windows 10.  After installation, the custom dictionary ends up on my Windows desktop, which isn't ideal.  I'd like help moving them elsewhere.  After a fresh installation, two files appear on the desktop: Custom Dictionary.txt and Custom Dictionary.txt.backup.  Deleting these files removes the functionality of the custom dictionary.  Reinstalling the application didn't help, the custom dictionary files reappear on my desktop.

During install, I installed Evernote to the default file location, C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\

When I select Tools --> Options --> General --> Open Database folder, and then navigate up a folder, there is no "Dict" folder.

Any idea what the issue is?  Help!  Thanks in advance.

This happened to me after a reinstall.  I created the Dict directory in the Evernote local files location, Tools - Options - General.  I had a user.dic file from a previous backup so I just moved it into the folder.  Seems to be working now.

If you don't have a user.dic file, you might try File - Exit from EN, create the Dict folder, and then restart EN.  Then add a word to the dictionary and see if it works.   I think it will..

ScreenClip.png.fdc66de342531b5629a86b66efbd1f94.png

Thanks you, gazumped and CalS, for the suggestions.  After reinstalling a third time with a minor change to the install directory, it appears I fixed the issue and restored dictionary functionality. 

The first two times I installed Evernote (with the problem), I installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\

The third time I installed Evernote (problem fixed), I installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\

Unclear why this fixed the issue, but it did.  If my installation gaffe caused an obvious problem, you have my apologies for wasting your time!

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem, but the provided solution didn't work for me, so I found an alternative.

Note the following in my case:

• Evernote 6.9.2.6423
  • Windows 10
  • Installation directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\
  • Local files directory: C:\Users\<user>\Evernote\
  • Dictionary file C:\Users\<user>\Evernote\Dict\user.dic exists (not touched for a couple of months, I assume since some previous upgrade)

I used the following steps to resolve the problem:

1. Shut down Evernote completely.
  2. Renamed C:\Users\<user>\Evernote\Dict to C:\Users\<user>\Evernote\Dict-old.
  3. Deleted Custom Dictionary.txt and Custom Dictionary.txt.backup from the desktop.
  4. Restarted Evernote.
  5. Tested successfully - new words can be added to the dictionary and are recognised when used, and no files are created on the desktop.

I don't know where these new words are stored - C:\Users\<user>\Evernote\Dict does not get recreated, and I didn't see any new files or directories being created either in the installation directory or the local files directory.

Archived