folder limit for evernote premium

sanj

Idea

I have been a premium customer for years but never ran into this problem: evernote caps the number of folders-at 250. While in theory a limit is not unreasonable, what I find very objectionable is that I, a premium customer who pays $70/year, has the same limit as a person who opens a free account. In fact I think this may be the only major feature that does not upgrade as you go from free to plus to premium. I really think it is ridiculous and would expect to have a limit of at least 500 or 1000. Better yet would be no limit as this is kind of stupid anyway for paying customers. We should be given flexibility, not constraints when paying for a service.

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, sanj said:

evernote caps the number of folders-at 250.

Are you posting a question?

If you're interested in supporting the request to increase/remove the Notebook limit, I posted below a link to the post.  Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion

>>In fact I think this may be the only major feature that does not upgrade as you go from free to plus to premium.

Limit on total stored data; # of Tags, # of Notes     :)

8 hours ago, sanj said:

While in theory a limit is not unreasonable, what I find very objectionable is that I, a premium customer who pays $70/year, has the same limit as a person who opens a free account.

This limit, and the ones DTlow pointed out, aren't artificially imposed limits based on one's account level: they're underlying limits based on how the system is technologically built and work to scale. Their business tier seems to be built a different way and has higher upper limits.

Maybe down the road, if enough people hit those limits enough times, there is a good cause of Evernote to change the whole underlying structure. Who knows, who can tell. For now it seems most of their users when hit with the 250 notebook limit switch to using tags as notebooks; a change in "name" more than in anything else (well, that plus the fact that tags are embedded with your note when you export them to an ENEX export file, whereas notebook information isn't). And I'm not really aware of someone running into the 100,000 total notes limit.

If ever you would run into finding these limits imposing, you can either change setup (notebooks → tags, merge a number of notes or prune them) or scale up to Evernote Business.

• Level 5*
On 1/12/2018 at 11:51 PM, sanj said:

evernote caps the number of folders-at 250.

Historically, Evernote's stance on notebooks has seemed to be that notebooks are good for gross organization of your notes, as well as being the main unit for sharing groups of notes, defining a group of notes to be available only locally ("local notebook") on desktop devices, or being always available even when offline ("offline notebooks") for mobile devices. The idea that is that for more fine-grained organization, you should use tags. That's bolstered by the posts from @engberg in the following, somewhat related, feature request for nested notebooks here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/96180-nesting-multiple-notebooks-creating-sub-notebooks/. Since Evernote provides minimal hierarchical facilities for organizing notebooks, they've kept the total notebook count low, and as you say, it's the same for everyone. So the 250 limit is somewhat arbitrary. Is there a particular reason that you need more than 250 notebooks?

On 1/12/2018 at 11:51 PM, sanj said:

While in theory a limit is not unreasonable, what I find very objectionable is that I, a premium customer who pays $70/year, has the same limit as a person who opens a free account. In fact I think this may be the only major feature that does not upgrade as you go from free to plus to premium.

I myself find it grossly unfair that free users can use tables, boldface and bullet points, just the same as paying customers. They should be limited to just text. All lower case, maybe. And no punctuation...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, sanj said:

The  reason I need more than 250 folders is the same that you can't get by with just lower case-that's how I roll dude

If it's a question of need, you could look at upgrading to the next account level
Business Accounts are allowed 10,000 notebooks

Personally, I don't think it's worth the extra cost.  But then again, I'm not a fan of personal notebooks for organization

BTW jefito, thank you for the link on nesting. I found that option of tags being hierarchically organized quite useful, and it is one that I have not utilized. Given current limitations of the program (which I would still advocate changing for premium users) it's definitely worth incorporating into my organizing scheme.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, sanj said:

BTW jefito, thank you for the link on nesting. I found that option of tags being hierarchically organized quite useful, and it is one that I have not utilized. Given current limitations of the program (which I would still advocate changing for premium users) it's definitely worth incorporating into my organizing scheme.

FYI, the hierarchy does not appear on iDevices, still a straight list there.

Archived