magnoliasouth

Need to edit spelling dictionary.

Thorough explanation of the problem: I use a lot of abbreviations that I may or may not ever need to use again which spell check often snags as incorrect. Sometimes I add them, sometimes not. Today I was writing a lot of surnames along with details. I got sick of the red squiggles and knowing I would definitely use those surnames again, I began adding them like crazy. Unfortunately for me, I'm faster at doing that than my brain can work because I added misspelled words (not names, not that it matters). I find it discouraging that it is so hard to correct spell check dictionaries. I'm not calling out Evernote because I blame Windows for making it difficult. 

I tried reading this: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/17609-how-to-edit-evernote-dictionary/ and this https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/25994-add-remove-words-spell-checking-dictionary-windows-10-a.html#option2 because I thought that perhaps since the first one didn't work, maybe it was a Windows thing. It didn't matter, neither of them work, for one, the default.dic file was empty so that was no help. I tried deleting it and it was unchanged. I am at a loss on how to handle this. 

Quick problem (for those TLDR folks): How do I edit words that I have accidentally added to spell check, as okay? It is not in C:\Users\magnoliasouth\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Dict\user.dic or any folder past 
C:\Users\magnoliasouth\AppData\Local\Evernote*  

Oh and no, my PC doesn't name me as magnoliasouth. :lol:

I'm on Windows 7. I find the dictionary at C:\Users\{username}\Evernote\Dict\user.dic, rather than in AppData. It's a straight-up text file, so it's easy to edit.

That first thread was fairly old, and the second one seemed to be about MS Office. FWIW, in Evernote, Tools > Options > General, at the bottom of the dialog either Open Database Folder or Open Log Folder will get you to the vicinity.

Dave, I followed your recommendation. This is the database folder accessed through General Options:

C:\Users\{username}\Evernote\

There are folders 'AutoUpdate', 'Crashes', 'Databases', 'Logs', but not 'Dict' (see attached).

I tried adding the folder myself, with a user.dic text file, but it is not being used by Evernote.

An added problem that I have is that none of my dictionary words save from session to session, and I've no idea why.

evernote.PNG

In the latest V6.15 release the dictionary file has been moved and renamed. Oh, joy. Also, it is "protected" by a checksum making it harder to edit. More joy.

See