Getting this error: You’re signed out of the account for this note. Sign back in and try again.

I tried accessing a note this evening -- of course it's a valuable note with sensitive data in it that I don't want to lose, not one of my crummy dream blog notes -- and I can't access it. I get this error message:

"Can't open note

You’re signed out of the account for this note. Sign back in and try again."

I'm trying to submit a support ticket and am confused about the process -- I select my issue from the dropdowns and it gives me a bulleted list of how to recover missing notes or info, all of which I've done. I have my activity log file ready to go but I need to send it to someone... I can find the note in my Mac Spotlight, and have tried recovering an older version of it through Time Machine, but no matter what version of the note I select, I get that error message. Can someone guide me as to how to submit a support ticket? There was no way of writing a message to anyone... Do I need to wait until the chat is online or something? The UI on that page is misleading.

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 8.23.46 PM.png

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Laura Nebula said:

I'm trying to submit a support ticket and am confused about the process -- I select my issue from the dropdowns and it gives me a bulleted list of how to recover missing notes or info, all of which I've done. I have my activity log file ready to go but I need to send it to someone

I moved the discussion to the Mac forum

The support submission is for paid accounts
At the bottom of the support page, we see this after answering the questions
5a579cca0e447_ScreenShot2018-01-11at09_18_55.png.16011d3272f45a92e13da094192ea290.png

>> "Can't open note  
      You’re signed out of the account for this note. Sign back in and try again.">>

Was there anything special about the note"?  Shared?  Multiple Accounts?

No, the note wasn't shared.

The only thing I can think of that has changed is I bought a new iPhone and recently had to re-do my Google authenticator codes for several apps, including Evernote for 2-step verification. However, I can access my other notes just fine, so I don't know if that's an issue or not.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Laura Nebula said:

No, the note wasn't shared.

The only thing I can think of that has changed is I bought a new iPhone and recently had to re-do my Google authenticator codes for several apps, including Evernote for 2-step verification. However, I can access my other notes just fine, so I don't know if that's an issue or not.

Let's focus on recovery

You found something in TM.
Maybe we can work from that.  What was the full pathname?

• Level 5*
On 2018-01-11 at 9:29 AM, Laura Nebula said:

The filename is "p280.enspot"

That won't help; it's a spotlight link file to the note in Evernote

I'm wondering if you can right-click on the note and export it

- html format gives you a Note you can view and copy

- enex format gives you a Note you can import

• Level 5*
On 2018-01-11 at 9:23 AM, Laura Nebula said:

I've also tried recovering the note on the web version of Evernote with no luck.

Are you getting the same "signed out of account" when accessing the note on the web?

• 5 months later...

I am having the same problem. I managed to move the unopenable file from Spotlight by clicking on the icon and dragging it to the desktop, but when I try to open it I get the same message about being signed out. And I cannot import it into Evernote Desktop for Mac.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

I am having the same problem. I managed to move the unopenable file from Spotlight by clicking on the icon and dragging it to the desktop, but when I try to open it I get the same message about being signed out. And I cannot import it into Evernote Desktop for Mac.

Are you able to access the note using the web platform (www.evernote.com)

It does not appear in searches in the Desktop App for Mac or in the web version. It only appears in Spotlight.

I had issues today and had to use Time Machine to restore my offline notes after problems occurred when reorganizing online and offline notebooks and notes.

I cannot even find it via Finder.  Only Spotlight.

UPDATE: sorry, the file I dragged was an enspot file. So the file I am after continues to show in Spotlight, but not anywhere else. How do I find the darn thing? It might help if I can find its actual location....

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, evernoteforumQ said:

It does not appear in searches in the Desktop App for Mac or in the web version. It only appears in Spotlight

1171547450_ScreenShot2018-06-15at07_34_55.png.292e6e1dd0f65e4450b5e3bb42ba5699.pngThen the note no longer exists.  It's an invalid Spotlight link.

You can rebuild your Spotlight index under
Option Key Help > Troubleshooting

Today, I tried to consolidate my local notebooks into one big notebook, but mistakenly put them in a private notebook, which I wrongly assumed was offline, because I was tired and made a mistake. Also, the option to "make new offline notebook" is hidden now, unless you press option, which didn't make things easy for me. Why hide that option - a very suspicious move by EN; why make us jump through so many hoops just to keep our personal stuff off their servers?! 

Anyway, when I realized that much of my private life was being uploaded to the web, I pulled the plug and tried to move all the notebooks back to offline. In the process, many offline notes were lost. I then restored my offline notebooks by using Time Machine to restore the Evernote "numbered account folder", which I found by going into Library (the hidden one) app support, com.Evernote, accounts, ww.evernote, etc. That worked fine, as the problem was only with what were originally offline notes (my three online notebooks were not involved in any of the processes, I think). However, I noticed at least one file is missing. I remember it was in my Evernote Desktop before (not sure about web version, as not sure if it was an online or offline) and it still shows in my (old) Spotlight indexing, which confirms it did exist at one point, but it seems to have gone, as you suggested. The weird thing is that I can find very recent offline and online notes made after that missing note. Could it be that the missing note was corrupt and EN somehow deleted it when I did the restore from TM? I wonder if that was the cause of perpetual syncing that was driving up my CPU? After I restored from TM my syncing issue ended. I hope I don't have any other missing files. How can I tell? What is going on?

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

Why hide that option - a very suspicious move by EN; why make us jump through so many hoops just to keep our personal stuff off their servers?! 

The explanation was that many inexperienced users were using the Local Notebook function, without knowing the implications for backup/restoring.

That is a rather patronizing excuse on their part for not even showing the option in a top menu!

It makes me wonder if they want to maximize harvestable anonymized/de-identified data which is not covered by their privacy policy.

Sorry, but I am not a happy camper. I was also told  by support that the option to email Local Notebooks never existed, despite my experience of having done that for several years, which was confirmed by other users here. Surely, that was a (useful) feature not a bug. And even if it was a bug, they should at least admit so. I am a paying customer and I don't appreciate such gaslighting.

Anyway, I only brought the offline notebook thing up as it yet again caused me confusion and my problems today. No use crying over spilt milk though ;) Is there any way I can look in a log to find out which files disappeared?

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, evernoteforumQ said:

Today, I tried to consolidate my local notebooks into one big notebook, but mistakenly put them in a private notebook, which I wrongly assumed was offline,

At this point, all your local notes are sitting in the Trash, and are available to be restored.

>>I then restored my offline notebooks by using Time Machine

The Trash is now restored to the earlier date.
The Activity Log is now restored to the earlier date.

A correction on  terminology:

• The default for Notebooks is sync'd to the Evernote servers.  Local notebooks are not sync'd.
  • Offline Notebooks are a different discussion.
  • Private Notebooks are a different discussion.

>>Could it be that the missing note was corrupt and EN somehow deleted it when I did the restore from TM?

My experience is that Evernote doesn't delete a corrupted note.

If a database corruption is detected, Evernote might rebuild the entire database from the server.

Thanks for the reply and the terminology advice re. distinction between local and offline notebooks.

I guess I will never find out where that Local note went. I don't remember deleting it...

The reason I was trying to consolidate my Local notebooks was because I wanted to back them up more easily before a complete reinstall (as I was having issues with perpetual syncing and CPU usage of 130%-230%).

I got the same message as Laura above AND I had exactly the same situation as her with Google Authenticator.

Weirdly, my sync issue ended after I restored the local notebooks (or rather the "number account folder" I mentioned above, whatever that contains) from TM and also logged into Evernote Desktop via my Google Account (using my new authenticator code)

Either or both of these seemed to fix my syncing/CPU issue.

Like Laura, I wonder if the "You’re signed out of the account for this note." issue is related to the change in authenticator code (I think my Private notes on Evernote Web increased after that too, almost as if they had been held back from syncing . Unfortunately I did not record and compare the precise note counts in Desktop and Web versions before and after the two actions above.

BTW, I just tried creating a new local notebook on my EN Desktop for Mac and putting a new note in it. I decided to delete that notebook, and was given the message "Are you sure you want to delete this? The operation cannot be undone". I hit Delete. I then got another message: "This will result of Permanent Deletion of 1 note. This note will be gone forever." . I hit delete again. However, the note didn't go forever. It went into trash of EN Desktop. Not only that, it was assigned to a Online Private notebook, and that note in the trash was synched to the web. I tested this twice and confirmed that this local note does end up in the trash of my Evenote web account.

Nowhere in this process did I give my permission for my personal sensitive data to go on the web!

The data will remain  on the web in that trash can until I delete it.

Why does EN give me two warnings that the Local note containing sensitive info  will be gone forever, but it actually stays in the trash and is synched to my online Web Evernote account?! 

Those "warnings" are totally misleading, and they just increase the suspicions I mentioned above. Whatever the case, they next to be fixed!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, evernoteforumQ said:

However, the note didn't go forever. It went into trash

Confirmed, the Deleted Notes are stored in the Trash until expunged.

>>Not only that, it was assigned to a Online Private notebook

Online and Private are not relevant; the issue is the notes were assigned to a sync'd notebook

Notes in the Trash retain the original Notebook Id.
However if the Notebook is deleted, this is changed to the Default Notebook

>>and that note in the trash was synched to the web.

Not good but seems to be a result of the Trash Notes changed to the Default Notebook.
Or maybe the deleted notes should never have been stored in the Trash; it did say Permanent Deletion

I recommend filing a Support Ticket for this.   Contact Evernote Support 
I submitted ticket #2573832

In the meantime, we need to manually expunge the notes in Trash when deleting Local Notebooks

When deleting the Local Notebook, the second of the two warning messages said "This will result in the Permanent Deletion of XX notes. These notes will be gone forever"

Any user would assume those Local notes have been safely deleted.

But they end up on the Web!!  That is a major security and privacy flaw.

Earlier in the day, I ended up unintentionally syncing 600 notes from the trash of my EN Desktop to the Web trash, some of which contained personal data I don't want on the Web. If I hadn't noticed the increase in my trash can on the Web, the data would have just remained there. Also people with larger notebooks would put an unnecessary strain on their computer and irritate fussy ISPs that throttle users that upload such volume in one go. 

This is totally avoidable on ENs part.

EN should fix it so Local Notebooks don't become synced notebooks in trash. And if they can't to that (which I doubt), they should change those completely misleading messages about "permanent deletion" of Local Notebooks.

People have duplicate notebooks from importing/exporting sometimes, and therefore have to delete entire notebooks, so we need clear guidance as to where the deletions go.

Leaving that aside, what do you think about  Laura's and my theory that the "You’re signed out of the account for this note." issue could be related to the change in authenticator code? 

(See post above: I think my Private notes on Evernote Web increased after that too, almost as if they had been held back from syncing . Unfortunately I did not record and compare the precise note counts in Desktop and Web versions before and after the two actions above. )

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I recommend filing a Support Ticket for this.   Contact Evernote Support 

I submitted ticket #2573832

Thank you for submitting the ticket. Hopefully this dialog here will also help draw attention to the issue.

PS: sorry to pester you, but could you give me your take on the authenticator theory above? It would be good to hear your opinion on that. Either way, I will make a note to re-log in to EN Desktop using my Google Authenticator's new code next time I change phones...

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, evernoteforumQ said:

could you give me your take on the authenticator theory above? 

Sorry, I have no experience with authenticator stuff.

• 3 months later...

Archived