Evernote helper not working unless main Evernote is running

lesliebee

Idea

I'm using Evernote 6.13.3 on macOS 10.13.2 (High Sierra). I use the Evernote helper in the top menu bar to take clippings, and when I later open the main Evernote program, all the clippings are there waiting for me. Or used to be... but no longer. Sometime over the past month or so, this functionality stopped working:

- The Helper is still in my menu

- It still takes clippings

- But they are NOT present in the main Evernote program when I open it

UNLESS

- If I have the main Evernote program running in the background when I use the Evernote helper, then it DOES work, AND ALSO I get back all clippings that had been "lost" as per above while the helper was not communicating.

I've tried deleting and redownloading a fresh copy of Evernote, and I've tried closing the helper and reopening it. Didn't fix the issue. And I've waited until the next routine update of Evernote in case you knew about this. But also didn't fix the issue. And there are no other reports on the Forum.

Happy to provide further testing and info as needed.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, lesliebee said:

I'm using Evernote 6.13.3 on macOS 10.13.2 (High Sierra). I use the Evernote helper in the top menu bar to take clippings, and when I later open the main Evernote program, all the clippings are there waiting for me. Or used to be... but no longer. Sometime over the past month or so, this functionality stopped working:...

I've moved the discussion to the Mac Feedback Forum.  
It would be even better if you post in the feedback discussion for the release.  
This is a user discussion forum, and it's better to direct feedback to the Evernote team.

I also use the Helper app for screen clippings, but always have Evernote running.  
Just to confirm, the clippings disappearing after you click on the "Save to Evernote" button. 
I agree Helper should detect Evernote isn't running before deleting the clippings

Thanks for moving the discussion @DTLow. Apologies, I was not aware of the Mac Feedback forum.

Confirming: when I click on the Helper, I get a floating dropdown scratchpad appear, with various options selectable at the top. I choose the 3rd one (icon: iMac with cross-hairs on it), which allows me cross-hairs to select a region of my screen. Then I click the "Save to Evernote" button on the dropdown, and the clipping 'disappears'.

In the past, when I open Evernote on that same machine, voilà, all my clippings since I last opened Evernote are visible in my default location/folder/notepad within Evernote.

But since the bug appeared, my default clipping location is completely empty. However, if I now repeat the above clipping steps (with Evernote open) I get the newly saved clipping AND all_my_previously_freshly-clipped_but_now_invisible_clippings_since_I_last_did_this suddenly reappear in that default location, exactly as they should have done,  *except* now only in batch.

And if I do helper clippings and save, then open Evernote (with the default clipping location apparently empty), and this time I don't do clippings with Evernote running, then the clippings remain invisible and there is no way of knowing there are clippings that have been made since Evernote was last opened.

I don't know the exact date when this behaviour changed, but it's been about a month (i.e. late 2017).

I've been having this problem for quite some time—maybe since the beginning of this year. I have trashed and reinstalled Evernote to no avail. If I have content in the helper window and click "Save to Evernote" if Evernote is not running, the content disappears from the helper window and does not automatically show up in Evernote when it's launched. Syncing doesn't help. I can force missing content to appear in Evernote by—after Evernote has been launched—adding another item to the helper and clicking "Save to Evernote." At that point, all the missing content—plus the new item—will appear in Evernote.

• Level 5*
On 8/30/2018 at 3:44 PM, Jeff Z. said:

I've been having this problem for quite some time

As a premium customer, you can contact Evernote support at https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Archived