Problem with the Evernote Desktop Icon on Taskbar for Windows 10

Hi Everybody

I have a Desktop Evernote (6.8.7.6387 (306387) Public (CE Build ce-1.36.3494)) installed on my Windows 10 Home edition 1709 Version.

Since a couple of month both Evernote Icon on the start menu and on the taskbar have no evernote logo on the icon.

I have tried to uninstal and install it a couple of times withous solving the problem.

Another interesting thing is that when Evernote is running on my computer, it creates another icon, instead of showing that little white bar under the icon fixed on the taskbar.

Thank you for your comments.

All the best,

Snapshot 2.jpg

Snapshot 1.jpg

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm also on Windows 10 but no icon issues - have you tried deleting the icon and recreating it by dragging the correct one from the start menu?  There's now a 6.8 GA version (as of 12 December).  I'd suggest the following:

• sync your account up to date
  • Tools > Options > General and open a separate window to your database location
  • File > Exit Evernote and copy your database folder to your desktop (as a precaution only,  but all backups are good!)
  • uninstall / restart / reinstall Evernote from a fresh download (or an older version if that's your choice). 

That'll take you a half-hour or so,  and seems overkill just for an icon anomaly,  but also your choice if you proceed.  :)

How to uninstall and reinstall Evernote

Older versions of Evernote - http://filehippo.com/download_evernote/history

• 3 months later...

This is so frustrating! I've uninstalled and re-installed three times. I have same issue. Evernote is installed, but correct green elephant icon is not showing on my Start menu. 

It is now on the task bar, but I don't understand why this is happening to so many people based on my Google search.  I am on a Surface Pro 3, running Windows 10. 

• 1 month later...

anybody figure this out yet? i am having the same issue. I have a utility that rebuilds all the icons yet evernote still is blank. And yes I tried to drag from start menu but that one is blank as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I also had this problem but have fixed it (at least for now) by creating a new shortcut to the program file (in program files (x86) folder) on the desktop. Then I deleted the prexisiting shortcuts to EN there. From the destop you can apply it to the taskbar and/or the start menu.

• Thanks 1

I have the same problem as well. I cannot remember when it happened but Evernote now uses the Adobe Acrobat Reader icon seemingly everywhere. This includes the Desktop, the Start menu and the application list. Nothing I've tried has stopped this (Including updating to the latest version of Evernote). None of my other programs have this problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 7:53 AM, glenintenn said:

RESOLUTION: (at least one of many)

my company pushes Evernote via a central distribution server and so Evernote gets reinstalled quite often on my system... without me even knowing about it. 

Every time there's an update (reinstall) the wonderful Adobe icon takes over for the Evernote icon like so many have reported. 

My routine is now as follows: 

1. Right mouse click on the offending icon (the "Adobe" icon which still says "Evernote" ) in the START Menu -> select MORE -> OPEN FILE LOCATION 

In my case, this goes to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Evernote   . You should see ugly icon there. 

2. ** DELETE ** the old Evernote shortcut there (the Adobe icon)...

not sure if it's Evernote or some "feature" of Win10 that the shortcut doesn't get de-registered by uninstall/reinstall. but it is one of those nagging annoyances which repeats itself every time. 

3.  I create a new Shortcut in the Evernote directory ( C:\Program Files (x86)\evernote\Evernote  -> Right Mouse click on Evernote.EXE and Create Shortcut)

4. Drag this new shortcut over to the directory you opened in 1.  

voila ( ? ) .  YMMV. 

Good stuff my friend! Thx

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2018 at 12:53 PM, glenintenn said:

my company pushes Evernote via a central distribution server and so Evernote gets reinstalled quite often on my system... without me even knowing about it. 

Every time there's an update (reinstall) the wonderful Adobe icon takes over for the Evernote icon like so many have reported. 

1. Right mouse click on the offending icon (the "Adobe" icon which still says "Evernote" ) in the START Menu -> select MORE -> OPEN FILE LOCATION 

In my case, this goes to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Evernote   . You should see ugly icon there. 

not sure if it's Evernote or some "feature" of Win10 that the shortcut doesn't get de-registered by uninstall/reinstall. but it is one of those nagging annoyances which repeats itself every time. 

3.  I create a new Shortcut in the Evernote directory ( C:\Program Files (x86)\evernote\Evernote  -> Right Mouse click on Evernote.EXE and Create Shortcut)

4. Drag this new shortcut over to the directory you opened in 1.  

voila ( ? ) .  YMMV. 

Hello mate, I've followed your post to a T, but it didn't work for me. Pls do you have any other recommendations that I can try in order to fix this? I await your feedback soon. Many thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've been having this problem for about a month now...

I followed the steps, and I've been able to correct the taskbar Evernote icon, however the Start menu Evernote icon is stubborn - it has stayed the same, no matter what i've done.

I've uninstalled everything, then reinstalled... And have only been able to solve the taskbar icon issue.

Please is there anything else you can recommend, in order for me to sort out the Start menu Evernote icon disappearance problem once and for all.???

I await your response.

Many thanks,

Donald

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hi.  As you're a subscriber,  and AFAIK this should not be happening,  I'd suggest you check in with Evernote Support. My icons in both Start menu and Desktop folders have been permanent fixtures for as long as I can remember. 

If there is a problem it's usually a quick and easy fix - see suggestions above.  On Windows 10 I more often start apps by hitting the Windows key and typing "Ev" (in this case) to have Windows offer me a link.  In most cases just hitting Enter will then start the correct app.

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5*
22 hours ago, dirq said:

I also have this problem continually.  The icon in the start menu, shortcuts, etc is missing.

image.png.0d826c4c204ffcaff4a085b45591ce22.png

Easy fix - right click and Unpin from Start / scroll down list of apps to Evernote,  right click and Pin to Start

In an ideal world losing / changing shortcuts shouldn't happen,  but this is Windows...  👐

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

WINDOWS 10 CLEAN INSTALL

EVERNOTE OCON BECAME A COREL PHOTOPAINT ICON AS DID ADOBE DC BECAME A COREL PHOTOPAING ICON.

A POSTER ON THIS COMMUNITY POSTED THIS IN 2018:

"

4. Drag this new shortcut over to the directory you opened in 1."

THIS SOLVE BOTH ICON ISSUES.
BUT WHILE THE PROPER ICONS ARE IN THE START MENUE THEY ARE GONE FROM THE "START COLUMN."