Updated to New Version This Morning and a Notebook is gone

OllieT

I updated my desktop app on Mac this morning through the automated prompt and then an entire notebook was missing. The files are not in the trash or in the web version. I think I may have found the missing files but when I try to open them it says I'm not signed into the account that created them. I only have one account. I also see that 2 devices are registered to use my account, one registered as of today. I have only ever used the same Mac for the same account so I'm not sure what is going on. Can anyone help me?

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, OllieT said:

an entire notebook was missing.

If this is a sync'd Notebook, a Mac update will not cause a notebook lost.  At worse, the database may be rebuilt from the Evernote server

If this is a Local Notebook, you are on your own.  You need to have backups to reload your data in case of a database rebuild

>>I also see that 2 devices are registered to use my account, one registered as of today.

Can you provide more details as to the devices in the listIMG_2021.thumb.jpg.42ca67718f1cd4acc7b28c2cd77e774e.jpg

This is a screenshot of my list

Hi, thanks for your reply. To clarify this was not a Mac OS update, it was an Evernote software update. Could the database be rebuilt if I was not a premium subscriber when it was lost but I become one now? My understanding is that I need to have a paying subscription to even access the database. So far as I know it would have been synced but as I'm not an Evernote Master I can't be sure. It's a working notebook that I use 5 days a week along with a few others that were not lost or damaged at all which is why it is especially perplexing. I'm pretty sure it would have been synced. 

Here is screenshot of my devices. Actually now that I recall when it was registered it was on a different Mac but I was given a 2nd one a month later that I have been using since.  That's the top instance that shows as registered on 1-2-18. I'm certain I've installed Evernote updates all along though...  

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 10.06.01 AM.png

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, OllieT said:

Could the database be rebuilt if I was not a premium subscriber when it was lost but I become one now?

An account upgrade will not trigger a database rebuild.  Its more an issue of the software detecting a corrupted database

>>My understanding is that I need to have a paying subscription to even access the database.

I'm not seeing this

>>it was on a different Mac but I was given a 2nd one a month later that I have been using since.

If you're no longer using the Mac, you may want to revoke access.  It's important for Basic accounts that are restricted to two simultaneous devices
Make sure there are no unsync'd notes on the device before revoking access

>>So far as I know it would have been synced but as I'm not an Evernote Master I can't be sure. 

Evernote has a feature called "Local Notebooks".  Users can create these instead of the standard sync'd notebook
It's easy to check on your sync'd notebooks.  Log in using the web platform (www.evernote.com) and view your data on the server

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, OllieT said:

Ok thanks. How would I go about doing a DB rebuild?

You might want to check if your lost notebook is on the server

You can trigger a full sync by:  Hold the **Shift** and **Option** keys on your keyboard and click the sync wheel

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, OllieT said:

The wheel spun twice in a staggered way but nothing reappeared. Does that mean I only had a local copy?

It's possible.  Local notebooks are clearly identified in your notebook list5a4d29b23fb77_ScreenShot2018-01-03at11_05_15.png.48a00d33ada6c308b276c62d19f6abaf.png

Or you can check your data on the server using the web platform (www.evernote.com)

When you say check data on the server, you mean just check the notebooks that are on the server or some other form of data? The notebook is gone from both places so whether it says it's local or not is moot. But I notice every time I save it auto syncs and I save often. 

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, OllieT said:

The notebook is gone from both places so whether it says it's local or not is moot.

Also moot is the idea of rebuilding your database from the servers.

Do you have any data backups you can access?

Lol. Let's make a circle. Thanks for all your help and attention. More than Irritating but I just have to dig through client emails and rebuild my files. Don't have time to solve this mystery with Evernote unfortunately. Happy New Year!

Archived