EvernotePat

Better Android Handwriting Support Please!

Idea

Hi, I am a user of Evernote Premium and I love the core Evernote ideology of having the best search around. However, I am very interested in using evernote for digital note taking via handwriting on a Samsung tablet with s-pen. The following are a few features that would make this functionality much more useful to me:

1. More stroke width options - The smallest stroke width is still way too big for me. I want to be able to write small.

2. Ability to set background to lined paper

3. Support for pressure sensitive input from s-pen, asus pen, etc.

4. Ability to zoom in/out and pan - Currently it just lets me add pages. I do not like writing close to the edges of the tablet because it is not comfortable when I am writing on the couch.

5. More pen colors and highlighting.

Upvote if you also want one or more of these features.

Thank you for making my experience the best it can be. Please let me know if any of this functionality is in the works or when I could expect to see these.

• Like 8

14 replies to this idea

I totally agree with this topic. I just bought a Samsung S3 Tablet. I tried OneNote and Samsung Notes. Evernote product is much better in many aspects, but the handwriting support of evernote is really worse. The lack of support for pressure sensitive input from s-pen is disturbing. And the pen could have more lower thickness.

I almost migrate to OneNote this year. Please improve handwriting support.

• Like 3

I just fired up Evernote after almost 2 years of inactivity. I just got a Samsung Tablet S3 and I love the pen. I would consider upgrading to Premium if Evernote supported the s-pen using the Samsung Android SDK. This would reduce the lag greatly and probably offer more features. http://developer.samsung.com/galaxy/pen

• Like 4

Em 02/01/2018 at 02:52, EvernotePat disse:

Hi, I am a user of Evernote Premium and I love the core Evernote ideology of having the best search around. However, I am very interested in using evernote for digital note taking via handwriting on a Samsung tablet with s-pen. The following are a few features that would make this functionality much more useful to me:

1. More stroke width options - The smallest stroke width is still way too big for me. I want to be able to write small.

2. Ability to set background to lined paper

3. Support for pressure sensitive input from s-pen, asus pen, etc.

4. Ability to zoom in/out and pan - Currently it just lets me add pages. I do not like writing close to the edges of the tablet because it is not comfortable when I am writing on the couch.

5. More pen colors and highlighting.

Upvote if you also want one or more of these features.

Thank you for making my experience the best it can be. Please let me know if any of this functionality is in the works or when I could expect to see these.

Voto

• Like 2

Just bought a  Samsung Tab S3 and I would much like to see S Pen support improved in Evernote. Samsung Notes works great with the pen but it's lacking in features that Evernote has had for years. I'd gladly pay for a subscription if Evernote support for the stylus worked well.

• Like 1

I would also like to add a request for Google pixelbook & pixel pen support.

I use Evernote for everything, but I am having to find alternatives (Squid, nebo) to take handwritten notes and then import them in a horribly convoluted way which is a pain!

If the handwriting feature was more advanced in evernote then I wouldn't need to consider others.

On 1/23/2018 at 8:33 PM, asciimo said:

I just fired up Evernote after almost 2 years of inactivity. I just got a Samsung Tablet S3 and I love the pen. I would consider upgrading to Premium if Evernote supported the s-pen using the Samsung Android SDK. This would reduce the lag greatly and probably offer more features. http://developer.samsung.com/galaxy/pen

Honestly I would only need the erase button as a first step, always selecting the eraser manually is extremely frustrating.

2 horas atrás, loiterbaer disse:

Honestly I would only need the erase button as a first step, always selecting the eraser manually is extremely frustrating.

I think that exists a solution more elegant: erase with a finger (like the app Squid does). To scrolling through the page, use two fingers (as evernote already does). The implementation of this feature pass through the detection of stylus pen. 

Another +1 from my side. 

I am an Evernote premium user for many years (it is literally my extended brain, I place there all my notes, daily planing, and anything I want to note down.... I love it). Recently I got a Samsung galaxy tab s3 with s-pen (Android), to further improve my note taking flow and especially to be able to also add handwritten notes directly on my notes. I think more and more people will do this. In my case I want to stop taking notes on paper then take photos and copy them there, etc (go paperless) and get all my notes where they should be - Evernote for me. 

I am really underwhelmed by the basic handwritten support of evernote... I actually like the simplistic interface. However, it is so basic and writing is not even very responsive for me, which makes the experience of taking notes directly on evernote practically impossible (for me). This really means not being able to use it properly, especially after trying Samsung notes or any other reasonwble note-taking app... So my current workflow is rather fragmented and error-prone: take my handwritten notes on samsung notes, export them as image to a special notebook on evernote (manually) then (when I remember) copy the image to a note where I have some pre-meeting/event notes and points of discussion already.... I tend to forget some of these steps, and even worse, sometimes I revisit handwriten notes and make changes (recapping things, etc) and then need to again go throw all the steps and replace the image... It is not nice... but I really tried to use evernote handwritten notes but they are just too far from the others that I have to go through this painful set of steps... 

I know there is Penultimate for ios (which is also a product by evernote), but I think the idea of having this feature within the product will make many people happier (instead of using another app, sync the note to evernote as an image...). 

I think the original message pretty much covers my request for features extensions, I leave bellow some extra remarks (some redundant, sorry):

• Improve responsiveness (maybe it is just me and one can get use to it, but there is a real delay, which makes it difficult to write...) 
  • Pressure sensitive 
  • Thin pen, it is really think now (even the thinnest one...) 
  • Maybe multiple pen types (I don't care so much, but it is nice to have two or three types) 

If I can give any other feedback please let me know... As mentioned above, this is becoming a rather popular way of taking notes and it is really a pitty to have these limitations (basic support) on our beloved Evernote. 

Cheers. 

• Like 1

Hi, has handwriting for Evernote improved on a Galaxy Tab S3? I am thinking about buying one... Thank you!

@Comote I am not sure if it has improved, as I never used it before (on other tablets). However, as I mention it still is very poor when compared with other handwriting note apps - which is still a deal breaker to me (on adopting Evernote Handwriting feature for all handwritten notes...). Apart from that, I love the tablet and my workflow now is to use Samsung Notes and then export as image to Evernote... I really don't love this workflow, but it was the best I could come up with - to still use Evernote as my "single point of notes" and benefit from my Samsung S3 to take very nice handwritten notes...

...this is the reason I really would love a bit more of effort on this feature! :)

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

I have the same issue here. I've been a premium user for a few years and now i'm considering changing because of its poor handwritting experience with the S Pen.
One note is doing a great job in that topic. Samsung note does as well.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:34 AM, Eduardo Silva said:

@Comote I am not sure if it has improved, as I never used it before (on other tablets). However, as I mention it still is very poor when compared with other handwriting note apps - which is still a deal breaker to me (on adopting Evernote Handwriting feature for all handwritten notes...). Apart from that, I love the tablet and my workflow now is to use Samsung Notes and then export as image to Evernote... I really don't love this workflow, but it was the best I could come up with - to still use Evernote as my "single point of notes" and benefit from my Samsung S3 to take very nice handwritten notes...

...this is the reason I really would love a bit more of effort on this feature! :)

Cheers!

Thank you!

As Evernote is all about note taking, it would seem obvious that s-pen, stylus, entry with handwriting would be a priority.  Handwritten notes are largely how Big ideas are born.   The handwriting feature is so lame, that I can't use that feature of my Evernote, or choose not to because it limits my creative output.  Please improve.