Drag and drop of pdf's files from EN to email

Now that the new 6.8 has been implemented, I had sadly discovered that - despite several requests during the beta phase - it is still impossible to drag a pdf from EN and drop it into an email. This is really a productivity killer for me, and probably many others. In the 6.8 beta it was told that you could choose to view the pdf's as attachments and drag from here, meaning

1) Right click the pdf in question

2) Choose "Show as attachment"

3) Drag the pdf to an email

4) Deselect "Show as attachment", when/if the above worked

This worked some time back in the beta time, but now no longer for me. Also I have noticed that - sometimes - the option to "Show as attachment" is not appearing when the pdf is 2 or more pages.

This is really really bad. Could something be done about this?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, mlu said:

choose to view the pdf's as attachments and drag from here, meaning

My process has morphed to using the download arrow and save the PDF to the desktop, drag to mail, then delete from desktop.  Still a PITA versus simply dragging as before.

2 hours ago, mlu said:

"Show as attachment" is not appearing

There was a bug wherein that the context menu would not work with PDFs that had a period in their name.  That what you are seeing?  It is fixed in the 6.9.2 Beta.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just discovered this as well @mlu and I completely agree, its a real productivity killer. Hopefully they will release a version with this fixed very soon - I get very tired of Evernote making it really difficult to get your *own* information and notes out of the system to share with others in the way you want to. Sooner or later the straw will break the camels back and we'll go elsewhere because the friction just becomes too great.

• Like 1

Hi @CalS , no it's not working for me even with PDFs that don't have a period in the filename (assuming you are not counting the period in the file type identifier - eg. file_name.PDF doesn't work for me).

I can use the context menu to change the PDF to an attachment, rather than view in-line, in Evernote but I then get a strange URI when I try and drag and drop that attachment into an email (eg. en-resource://database/13833:0 which my email program cannot find when I try to send the email).

Thanks @CalS, yes I understood - in fact I don't even need to do that; it does let me drag and drop the PDF as an attachment to my desktop and, then from there, I can drag it into an email.

I simply meant that dragging and dropping as an attachment directly from Evernote doesn't work for me, even if there is not a period in the filename.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Happy Chap said:

Thanks @CalS, yes I understood - in fact I don't even need to do that; it does let me drag and drop the PDF as an attachment to my desktop and, then from there, I can drag it into an email.

I simply meant that dragging and dropping as an attachment directly from Evernote doesn't work for me, even if there is not a period in the filename.

Yeah, that was removed when EN installed the Google PDF viewer.

• 4 weeks later...

Missing the availability to drag and drop PDFs is really a critical showstopper. I use the drag and drop functionality very frequent. If this is not repared I need to consider to move away from Evernote.

• Like 1

Someone suggested in EN to select "show as attachment" by right clicking the PDF and next drag and drop the document. EN will in that case save a link to the email or directory and not the document. EN loses the safety of local copies of documents. EN brings us back to old days in which it was necessary to make local copies by hand if a local copy was needed. The beauty of EN was (past tense) to make this no longer necessary. This is has to be remedied. 

Yes, this is really strange and annoying. In beta version 6.9.4.6614 this is still not working so afraid this is something they cannot do. The worst setback I have experienced in my 10 years with evernote!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 1:35 AM, Aloys55 said:

Missing the availability to drag and drop PDFs is really a critical showstopper. I use the drag and drop functionality very frequent. If this is not repared I need to consider to move away from Evernote.

Also I can no logger double click on a PDF to open in system viewer where I do most of my PDF work. Magor step backwards EN :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm moving into a new Windows 10 Desktop and just hit this issue...  

Dragging and dropping PDFs directly from EN to gmail / folders / other apps has been one of my BEST productivity weapons.  I use it almost DAILY.  Having to (1) save PDFs to my desktop, then (2) drag to destination, then (3) delete the unnecessary copy from my desktop, is definitely a step backward.  Please restore drag and drop directly from within notes.

I thought it was a configuration / setup issue with my new build, so I searched to see if anyone else had seen something similar...  That's how I ended up here.

I have >15K notes in EN, but I haven't been a contributor on these forums until now.  This is a big enough issue for me to sign up, raise my concerns, and cast my vote.  

Can I revert back to an older version of EN that would restore this feature for me?  I wouldn't consider that under any other circumstances.

The 'view as attachment' workaround isn't working for me, and the 3-step replacement for my former, elegant, 1-step process is a major setback.

Will this feature be restored in future EN releases?  If so, when?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

YES YES YES .The lost of this feature is quite annoying for me.

I have been using this for years as part of my daily routine at work not only drag and drop to EN to Gmail , but also to Outlook, posting in Internet , etc.

I have used EN for ten years and use it everywhere .I'm premium user and I don´t understand why EN team don´t ask before doing so critical changes.

Thinking of giving up EN.

Thanks so much

As said before, missing the drag and drop feature will eventually make EN obsolete !!!!!!

Please repair!

29 minutes ago, ddiaz said:

YES YES YES .The lost of this feature is quite annoying for me.

I have been using this for years as part of my daily routine at work not only drag and drop to EN to Gmail , but also to Outlook, posting in Internet , etc.

I have used EN for ten years and use it everywhere .I'm premium user and I don´t understand why EN team don´t ask before doing so critical changes.

Thinking of giving up EN.

Thanks so much

After days of thinking it was me and playing with config settings, I did a google search and found this thread. 

On the same day EN takes my subscription no less!  F'ing unbelievable, on top of other issues I have had, I honestly have to ask if this platform is worth the effort anymore.  And I really don't think it is. 

There are arrogant developers and some guru's on this forum, that really should listen to what the customers are saying.

I also think this is really annoying.

I cannot work with EN fluently anymore.

As someone said before - I am also an EN user with premium for many years. But today I subscribed to the forums because the work with the actual PDF viewer is horrible.

My subscription is very fresh and runs until 02-2019. Today I downgraded to Evernote 6.7.5 because of this PDF issue and because the win app becomes slower and slower. If I click through the notes it's always a click - wait some seconds, next click - wait some seconds...

If this will not be solved in short time I think I will leave EN (but i think noone will care...)

PS: I downgraded to Evernote 6.7.5. Compared with the current version it's a great pleasure to work with this old version...

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with everyone in this discussion. I actually had to go through multiple approvals in my company's IT department to get Evernote approved for installation. The IT dept kept saying "Please use OneNote". I kept pushing back because of the easy movement in and out of Evernote of PDFs I collect/use/reuse for research. This is a step backwards in functionality and is causing a lot of pain.

• 3 years later...
  • Evernote Expert

This is a 3 year old thread about issues with the Legacy version of Evernote. Can we check which version of EN you are using?

V10 on Windows has a problem with drag and drop which is known and receiving attention. V6.25 is now end of life so will not receive any fix.

I'm told that v10 on Mac works OK.