How to use file:/// cross platform (Windows, Mac)?

ruudhein

On Windows I keep my files always in a specific, standard location. I also use the SUBST command to link a drive letter to it so even if the location would change, the file:/// links will still work.

If however my files would one day live on a Mac, things would be different as Mac doesn't use drive letters.

So my question is: what would be the best, future-proof way of using file:/// links that work on both Windows and Mac?

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, ruudhein said:

So my question is: what would be the best, future-proof way of using file:/// links that work on both Windows and Mac?

15 hours ago, CalS said:

Put your files on a cloud drive of some sort?

On Macs, a Dropbox file would be represented by     file:///Applications/Dropbox/aaaaaaaaaa.bbb

Would this work on a Windows device?

fwiw  

• The cloud drives offer https://... access to files.  This will work cross-platform
  • My preference is to store the files in Evernote as a note attachment.  You can also use the Evernote in-app links (evernote:///view/aaaaaaaaaa....)
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

On Macs, a Dropbox file would be represented by     file:///Applications/Dropbox/aaaaaaaaaa.bbb

Would this work on a Windows device?

Doubtful. On Windows devices -- or at least my device, and that may depend on how DropBox is set up -- the path is, e.g., file:///C:/Users/jefito/Dropbox/aaaaaaaaaa.bbb

• Level 5*

A download/ share link from Dropbox looks like this - https://www.dropbox.com/s/mroktt8kzv2v057/aaaaaaaaaa.bbb - which is similar to OneDrive and Google,  so I'd agree with @CalS - using a cloud drive for file storage would replace the direct link to a local file with a generic URL.  There are possible issues with confidentiality etc;  depends how you (or your employer) feel about sharing data to cloud drives.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

A download/ share link from Dropbox looks like this - https://www.dropbox.com/s/mroktt8kzv2v057/aaaaaaaaaa.bbb - which is similar to OneDrive and Google,  so I'd agree with @CalS - using a cloud drive for file storage would replace the direct link to a local file with a generic URL.  There are possible issues with confidentiality etc;  depends how you (or your employer) feel about sharing data to cloud drives.

Or depending upon the file types just add them to notes in EN and forget about storing them on the local file system?  Appropriate password protection when necessary.

A little off topic. A ways back I moved some spreadsheets containing pivot tables to DropBox because the EN attachments folder process would sometimes corrupt the file name for this type of file.  The link points to the local folder so as to not have to download the file each time.  Upside to this has been more frequent backups.  Every other file of merit is in EN , though they are mostly PDFs. 

So basically...

LOCAL LINKS

• file:/// path for windows
  • file:/// path for Mac
  • there's no way to make a Windows path look/act like a Mac one or vice versa
  • or add the files to EN

CLOUD LINKS

• Link to the file on a cloud service like Dropbox or Google Drive

Cloud is out as I can't be sure me or the ones after me will always have those services. 

For really crucial files I'll add to Evernote, as I'm already doing.

For file links -- not sure yet. For the Windows links I'll continue using SUBST to map a drive letter to a folder. Will see what I can do for Mac

Thanks!

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, ruudhein said:

Cloud is out as I can't be sure me or the ones after me will always have those services.

Well, they will have yours, if I'm reading this right.  Seems you have it.  Hope it works for you.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, ruudhein said:

For really crucial files I'll add to Evernote, as I'm already doing.

Storing the files within Evernote works well for me

• The files are available to me on all platforms (I'm currently using Mac, iPad, Web)
  • I can share the files via a public url

Downsides

• Size Limits; note size and upload limit
  • Files are imported into the Evernote database and are not available via the file system
  • Filea are imported into the Evernote database and are not available via the file system

Yeah, that's a drawback. I also use TheBrain and try to keep files out of there too. The file system is something people can often work easier with.

I really like the SUBST command on Windows because you can give any folder a driveletter instead. So regardless if the files move, you can adjust that SUBST command.

Might be overthinking this, future-proofing a bit too much, but it pays off to think ahead. E.g., knowing that inter-note links can break, I add the note ID to the note so people can always run a search for it.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, ruudhein said:

Might be overthinking this, future-proofing a bit too much, but it pays off to think ahead. E.g., knowing that inter-note links can break, I add the note ID to the note so people can always run a search for it.

I do the same thing;  I have a script running nightly on my Mac; it appends the metadata to new/changed notes

I use AutoHotkey to parse the Evernote link, reusing the UUID it created for that note. 

I use a similar setup elsewhere where AH will create its own UUID for a note.

It's a good feeling notes can be found back no matter what. Now all I need is inline, linked, clickable search :)

• Level 5*

I keep the link text the same as the target note title, then I can copy/search the link to find the note should something untoward happen.  I already have a PhraseExpress hotkey to search selected text in EN, Ctrl-Alt-RightMouse.  FWIW.

Archived