danjab

Encrypt notes or tables within notes

Idea

In prior versions, I used to copy a range of cells from Excel into a blank note, and then somehow encrypt it with a password. Now when I copy the range of sales, they get pasted into the note as a table, and I cannot encrypt the table.  This was a super useful feature to secure notes within a notebook.  I no longer can do this in Evernote, have to use another platform.  Not happy.

24 replies to this idea

On 2017-12-21 at 3:29 PM, danjab said:

Now when I copy the range of sales, they get pasted into the note as a table, and I cannot encrypt the table.

I know the paste as a table was a feature requested by users5a3dc3a25e2e6_ScreenShot2017-12-22at18_46_42.png.8be3709cbd9a1035eecadb5fcba813c8.png

My solution would be to reformat the note as plain text (Mac option)
which will allow for encryption

On 12/21/2017 at 6:29 PM, danjab said:

In prior versions, I used to copy a range of cells from Excel into a blank note, and then somehow encrypt it with a password. Now when I copy the range of sales, they get pasted into the note as a table, and I cannot encrypt the table.  This was a super useful feature to secure notes within a notebook.  I no longer can do this in Evernote, have to use another platform.  Not happy.

Another option perhaps is that you encrypt the whole spreadsheet using Excel's encryption feature, and add the whole file to your Evernote note.

• Thanks 1

You used to be able to encrypt a whole table prior to the implementation of the new table UI.  Can't now.  Fortunately the encrypted table I built back when still works, only reason I know....

7 hours ago, CalS said:

You used to be able to encrypt a whole table prior to the implementation of the new table UI.  Can't now.  Fortunately the encrypted table I built back when still works, only reason I know....

Yeah, it's still not clear to my why Evernote doesn't allow encrypting of arbitrary note content, but there it is. Or in the case of encrypting tables, there it went... :) 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, jefito said:

Yeah, it's still not clear to my why Evernote doesn't allow encrypting of arbitrary note content, but there it is. Or in the case of encrypting tables, there it went... :) 

I at least have a note I can clone that contains an encrypted table.  :P

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CalS said:

I at least have a note I can clone that contains an encrypted table.  :P

Quite the feather in your cap. :)

Maybe you should publish it so other deprived users can use it as a template...

15 minutes ago, jefito said:

Quite the feather in your cap. :)

Maybe you should publish it so other deprived users can use it as a template...

Sure.   Might have to clear it first.  Might want to check that it clones too.   ;)

8 hours ago, CalS said:

Might have to clear it first.

Well, yeah... :) 

danjab, if you have va previous note with protection I would recommend the following:

1. Duplicate the encrypted old note

2. Inside the duplication area copy your new content

3. Delete the content is not relevant for the new note

That worked for me and in fact I was able to copy the new type of Evernote tables inside the old encrypted area.

I also would like to see an option to either encrypt an entire note or be able to encrypt a table.

I don't have an old note available with an encrypted table, and changing my content to plain text isn't ideal as it screws up my layout.
Seeing as tabs don't work (get converted to spaces, so it's only useful with monospace fonts), tables is the only way to get a nice layout for some information.

There should be a normal way to also encrypt the content in those tables.

My preference would be to be able to fully encrypt a note, because this would make things way easier than having to select all content and encrypting it.
But if that's too hard, being able to encrypt a table would be the least that should be possible, especially seeing as it used to work just fine.

I have just ran afoul of this issue. I have a previously encrypted file that I must have available on my mobile device. I updated and reformatted it today and love the new table look. However, I am NOT a fan of not being able to encrypt it!

I tried all the tips in the above thread but none of them work for me. The data copies in as a really messed up column of text when I copy into the encrypted portion and if I copy it outside of the "box" then it doesn't encrypt.

I did try the option of encrypting the Excel file and I'm fine with the extra step when I'm on my desktop. However, it doesn't help me when I'm mobile. And I am mobile often.

Any ideas on when the encrypt feature will come back to tables?

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 4:41 PM, yekcal said:

I have just ran afoul of this issue. I have a previously encrypted file that I must have available on my mobile device. I updated and reformatted it today and love the new table look. However, I am NOT a fan of not being able to encrypt it!

I tried all the tips in the above thread but none of them work for me. The data copies in as a really messed up column of text when I copy into the encrypted portion and if I copy it outside of the "box" then it doesn't encrypt.

I did try the option of encrypting the Excel file and I'm fine with the extra step when I'm on my desktop. However, it doesn't help me when I'm mobile. And I am mobile often.

Any ideas on when the encrypt feature will come back to tables?

I am now having almost the same issue as Yekcal.  I had two files that contained tables that I created back in January of this year and ecrypted.  Today I needed to update the table and when I opened the note it would not let me edit the table even after putting in my password to open the note.  So, the only way for me to edit the table was to "decrypt" the whole text of the note, at which point I was then able to add and delete the needed information to the tables.  Once I was done I tried to once again "encrypt" the note and it will no longer allow me to do so.  

Having been a premium subscriber for many years, this is yet another burr in my side as it seems lately Evernote is ONLY concerned about business subscribers and these notes contain sensitive info that MUST be encrypted. I could very easily move them over into OneNote and do so for free, but I have so many years  of notes and data invested in Evernote I had to have to do that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tracey Smith said:

Having been a premium subscriber for many years, this is yet another burr in my side as it seems lately Evernote is ONLY concerned about business subscribers and these notes contain sensitive info that MUST be encrypted.

afaik  All users, personal and business, have access to the same encryption options:

1. Evernote provides text encryption, for selected text in notes. This is resticted to text only; no tables or lists.
  2. We can use external native encryption on attachments.  I use this for pdfs and office/iwork documents.

On 4/1/2018 at 8:36 PM, DTLow said:

afaik  All users, personal and business, have access to the same encryption options:

1. Evernote provides text encryption, for selected text in notes. This is resticted to text only; no tables or lists.
  2. We can use external native encryption on attachments.  I use this for pdfs and office/iwork documents.

However this doesn't address the issue that it used to work just fine and there is absolutely no reason to suddenly change a behaviour of a program people are paying for.
I for one chose evernote because it was able to encrypt all my content in a note and was willing to pay for it because of that.
Now suddenly things have changed for the worse.

When there is a good reason for it, I could understand, but in this case there no good explanation why a feature that used to work fine suddenly doesn't work anymore.
I've worked with a lot of encryption methods over the years and there is no good reason why a table couldn't be encrypted or why it would cause issues across platforms.
Data is data no matter on which platform, encrypting that data doesn't change the fact that it is still data. The only reason it would cause issues is if the implementation of that encryption is bad. In my eyes they should address the issue not do a lazy workaround by saying "we can only encrypt text, else it causes issues".
It's just a lazy and in my eyes a disrespectful response to (paying) customers.

Yes I know you are not an Evernote employee, so I'm not really directing this at you, but you are basically defending them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RagingRaven said:

you are basically defending them.

Actually I was trying to correct misinformation by stating the facts.
I'm not into "boohoo, Evernote's so bad" posts
I'm more interested in ideas on how this product can work better for me.

As a user, I agree we need better encryption security than what's included in Evernote.

16 hours ago, DTLow said:

Actually I was trying to correct misinformation by stating the facts.
I'm not into "boohoo, Evernote's so bad" posts
I'm more interested in ideas on how this product can work better for me.

As a user, I agree we need better encryption security than what's included in Evernote.

Sorry if my post was a bit negative towards you, it wasn't my intention to attack you personally.
However calling legitimate concerns about evernote removing functionality, "boohoo, Evernote's so bad posts" is also not fair.

As I already said some of us chose and payed for this program because it had a certain functionality, removing it, especially when there's no legitimate reason, is just bad.
This says nothing about the product as a whole, in fact I think its great overall, but that doesn't excuse them from any critisism.

unfollowing this thread as I'm tired of getting emails of people squabbling like children.  Keep it related to the topic or just give it a frigging rest already. 

+1 on not taking features away from customers, especially those of us that pay for our accounts. We've waited for years to have decent table support, and now that we've finally received that we can't encrypt that data? Nor can I continue to use the old tables, e.g. add a row, that are in encrypted notes?

My most critical notes in Evernote are account info, etc. that are in tables and need to be encrypted. Guess what happens to my paid Evernote subscription when I find an alternative that works better for me?

2 hours ago, Mike's Display Name said:

Nor can I continue to use the old tables, e.g. add a row, that are in encrypted notes?

I don't see this issue.  Any tables that I had that were encrypted pre new table layout are still editable.  Did you select the update table option?

For sure, PITA that one can't create a new encrypted table.  Now when I need a new encrypted table I clone an old one and then edit it.

I had only one note with an encrypted table in my Mac. It was very convenient having this table with some private contents quickly available with a few clicks and a simple password. Now it is gone: I recently pasted an updated version of the table, which I created in a word processor, and found out that it was no more possible to encrypt it.

I think EN developers should seriously consider to improve the encrypt function and extend it to any kind of material included in a note (tables, PDFs , images, videos, and other files) 

10 minutes ago, LaoZha said:

I think EN developers should seriously consider to improve the encrypt function and extend it to any kind of material included in a note (tables, PDFs , images, videos, and other files) 

PDF files and office/iwork documents come with native encryption

I use this to  protect sensitive data.