Death File

Ncdad1

Idea

I want to replace the traditional file cabinet you leave all the important files behind for your heirs when you die and store them in Evernotes.

Including copy of will, POA, Living Will, stocks, bonds, life insurance, titles, etc.

My concern is organization.  Anyone have a template?

Second is access.  My wife is not technically adept and I am not sure she can understand Evernotes.   Maybe a shared folder with the kids who have more technical ability?

To EV:  I am willing to pay a fee (annual / one time) to have someone help my heirs get to my EV information using say a series of personal question and PWs that I would provide to them.

Thought and advice.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Ncdad1 said:

I want to replace the traditional file cabinet you leave all the important files behind for your heirs when you die and store them in Evernotes...

Second is access.  My wife is not technically adept and I am not sure she can understand Evernotes.   Maybe a shared folder with the kids who have more technical ability?

You can share access to your notes using urls (web browser)

• No Evernote skills required for the reader.
  • The first note can be a menu with links to other notes.  Set up your own organization

As to the "Death File"

• I have a script running on a Mac mini.  It sends emails if I haven't updated my journal; a death notice after 5 days, self-destruct sequence after ...
  • There are online services providing this feature like GhostMemo
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Ncdad1 said:

My concern is organization.  Anyone have a template?

Create a Basic account and only store these documents in it.  Title the notes appropriately for clarity.  Get the sort sequence you like, make the view side list, and it should be fairly easy to navigate.  Give them the credentials to the account, either now or later.  Share with your main account if you want access from there.

Archived