Advanced Hierarchy For Organizing Notes

munobrueller

Idea

What bothers me the most in Evernote is the limited hierarchy for organizing notes.

With stacks>notebooks>notes there are only three layers.

I think this is way too less. Things are more complex. None of my notes fit into such a limited hierarchy

Evernote is great for creating high-quality notes but organizing them is just frustrating me.

I would like to see a hierarchy system that allows grouping Notes almost like Apple's Finders or Microsoft's Explorer:

• Notes can be grouped into folders
  • Folders can be grouped into other folders
  • Notes can be listed parallel to folders (meaning inside a folder there can folders and notes be listed in the same hierarchy layer)

I must admit I am not familiar with the tag system(that may be considered as a solution) but I need my notes visually listed in such a complex hierarchy system. Just searching for what I need is absolutely no solution for this problem. If Evernote can't afford such a hierarchy system I will not be able to sort my notes in an order that makes sense and I will have to simply leave Evernote.

I apologize if this was already discussed. I didn't find this very topic in other discussions.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, munobrueller said:

I apologize if this was already discussed. I didn't find this very topic in other discussions.

No problem  FYI, this has been discussed ad nauseam in these forums.  Try nest or nested or nesting for a search.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, munobrueller said:

I must admit I am not familiar with the tag system(that may be considered as a solution) but I need my notes visually listed in such a complex hierarchy system.

As you noted, Tags are the organization method implemented by Evernote.  The feature offer an unlimited hierarchy.

It works well for me

• Level 5*
On 12/20/2017 at 4:34 PM, munobrueller said:

I would like to see a hierarchy system that allows grouping Notes almost like Apple's Finders or Microsoft's Explorer:

As others have mentioned, this has been requested and discussed by many, many users for many years, yet Evernote shows no signs of providing it.  So we are left with choices of making best use of the organizational tools that Evernote does provide, or using another app.

On 12/20/2017 at 4:34 PM, munobrueller said:

I must admit I am not familiar with the tag system(that may be considered as a solution) but I need my notes visually listed in such a complex hierarchy system.

Proper use of Tags does provide a workaround.  How well it will meet your needs is up to you to decide.

I devised a tag-based system last year.    See Using Tags as Pseudo Notebooks 

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Archived