• Announcements

• Shane D.

Evernote Business Beta - Spaces   12/20/2017

We're very excited to announce the public beta of an upcoming rework for Evernote Business! To learn more, go Here
    • Shane D.

2018 Evernote Webinars   01/04/2018

To kick off the new year, we're excited to announce our  updated schedule for our series of webinars! Please check the events calendar to see which one works best for you!
Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Windows 6.9 Beta 1

Idea

[Edit 12/19: we've patched this build as some business users were encountering an issue creating notebooks intermittently. I've updated the link below to reflect the latest build.]

Hi Folks - 

We're announcing version 6.9 Beta 1 today. You can download it here, or by checking for updates. This version includes several fixes as well as a new placement for the 'New Note' button in the sidebar. For the interim, we're keeping the 'New Note' button present in the toolbar as well on upgrade but plan on removing that placement for Beta 2 assuming we see no issues with the functioning of the new placement. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team

----------------------------------

Release Notes for Version 6.9 

Note: Version 6.9 is supported on OS versions Windows 7 and up. 

Improved & Fixed: 

1. Aligned 'New Note' button look + feel to other Evernote apps
  2. Fixed an issue where links in PDFs don't open in a browser
  3. Fixed an issue where ctrl+mousewheel doesn't zoom in/out

----------------------------------

Screenshot of New Note button: 

image.png.8b3e6e1757db473dfa69c597ab4cba77.png

Edited by Chantal Leonard
  • Thanks 1

149 replies to this idea

Evernote v6.8.7 is the worst version I have ever used.

Freezes all the time, and worst of all, there is a bug that overrides a note's content by another one. For example, I had one note that its content was replaced by the content of a different note and I have no idea why. I had to open Evernote database which is in SQLITE format, and searched in the notes history until I found the old note there, but it was not formatted, everything was in one line. It was basically a big pain to deal with.

Seriously, you don't test your product for a defect that causes data corruption? The main reason we use Evernote is to save our data, and if it gets corrupted then what's the point of using Evernote?

Here is how to reproduce one freezing bug:
Create  a new note. Click on the note's body to add content, then change the language using SHIFT+ALT. The note field will freeze for many seconds.

There are some serious bugs and an update has to be provided ASAP.

• Like 1

Today, out of the blue, EN is constantly collapsing the navigation panel, even when in background.  5a5a49380165d_20180113ENissue.jpg.85edd8dd62ff6be83d2da8b828b371e3.jpg

1 hour ago, eafpres said:

Today, out of the blue, EN is constantly collapsing the navigation panel, even when in background.  5a5a49380165d_20180113ENissue.jpg.85edd8dd62ff6be83d2da8b828b371e3.jpg

Yup, I've seen this several times with this beta, but it was always after one of the frequent crashes. I've never seen it just do that.

On 1/5/2018 at 3:50 PM, CalS said:

Bug reported previously, supposed to be getting fixed.

Is there any word on when this might get fixed?

My Evernotes are suddenly acting like Invisible/Disappearingnotes. Very scary!

Both beta machines are effected. Each have 3 displays and Invidia graphic cards.

1 hour ago, rbhandacs said:

Is there any word on when this might get fixed?

Haven't heard anything from EN on when a fix will be available, hopefully before the next public release, but who knows at this point.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 8:25 PM, DTLow said:

Confirmed, the file date is set to the date the export is run.  I'm happy with my backups, but I have over 10,000 files with the same date (and no tags).  

fwiw  (not much) the information is embedded in the file/document

I generally prefix the note title with the subject date.  I plan to create a script to extract the info and set the file Date Created and Tags

edited: @lisec   I will share the script but it will be AppleScript for a Mac   

Damn apple!

Hi there,

I made a mistake - instead of posting my report to the latest beta here I opened a new thread in the Windows forum:

Maybe you can shift it to this thread and have look at it ...

Thx, EvB.

image.png

image.png

BTW, in the German version the search is still broken in some respects. 

As reported before, I have a saved search showing notes either created "today" or modified "today".

What is working on my Mac and on the web (showing the results for "either") in the German EN client is changed to "all".

Glad if you could have a look into this, should be an issue of localization if it does not appear like this in the English version.

Re: behavior reported by evb of "new user info".

I’m seeing the same behavior in the English version. What’s odd is I didn’t update the software. Must be a config thing but how did it change without my doing anything?

It began at the same time as my previously reported issue that the navigation pane now collapses on its own constantly.

Makes me a bit concerned that something can change like this without installing an update.

If I exit EN and then restart, the message header appears.  If I close it, and use the "X" to close the EN window, then reopen, the message does not appear.  Unclicking "Show Helper Notifications" does not fix it (suggested in the main forum, already confirmed not to work by evb.).

Edited by eafpres
add note on repro

Well, this is a new one for me. Resumed my laptop and this is what Evernote was showing.

I don't even have a Business account. I did until 2015 but that was disconnected almost 3 years ago. Why would this even be here? This machine is a fresh install about 8 months ago, so no possible database carryover of any junk.

Just noticed it also says "Business Notebooks" at the top. There are no "Business Notebooks" nor any business section in my left scroll bar.

2018-01-15_10-09-20.png

{01/15/18 @ 15:35 EDT}

I have encountered numerous problems with version 6.8.7 that did not exist with the previous version. Do I need to list the problems or do you have debug (before release) as an item on your software development chart? 

Good: The new print preview is a great addition.

Not good: The new 1/2'" margins are not appreciated. Also about 10 newly created bugs with this release.

I started a bug list after a few minutes use of the release. How could your debug activity not detect them? Was this version released with the bugs known? Any plans to go back to the last version? When will a "good" release be available? Thanks.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, EV win10 user said:

{01/15/18 @ 15:35 EDT}

I started a bug list after a few minutes use of the release. How could your debug activity not detect them? Was this version released with the bugs known? Any plans to go back to the last version? When will a "good" release be available? Thanks.

I have a bug list too, but I got tired of taking 30 minutes per bug (details and screenshots and how to reproduce...) because, to be honest, I think it will be all for nothing. They don't want to hear about bugs or have to deal with specific issues; they just want you to re-install or get the beta and get off their backs. At least that's how I see it.

Has anyone gone back to the release prior to 6.8?  I think it was something like 6.5 that worked fine?  I'm worried about losing notes that have used the more modern "tables"...

On 1/12/2018 at 9:47 AM, CalS said:

Did a screen capture and here is what it looks like.

ScreenClip.png.82ef1426865bec5091043a848f3b63f3.png

That's Windows telling you an unfocused program is trying to get your attention. Typically, a dialog has popped up.

1 hour ago, dconnet said:

That's Windows telling you an unfocused program is trying to get your attention. Typically, a dialog has popped up.

Thanks, hmmm.  No dialog visible when I’ve noticed and clicked the icon, so not sure what is going on.  Random thought, this appeared about the same time as the crashes overnight when no activity in EN.  any correlation?

8 minutes ago, CalS said:

Thanks, hmmm.  No dialog visible when I’ve noticed and clicked the icon, so not sure what is going on.  Random thought, this appeared about the same time as the crashes overnight when no activity in EN.  any correlation?

Try ALT-TAB. That can often bring up a dialog box that pops up under something. Or minimize all apps one at a time until it shows up. Doesn't always work, but does about 80% of the time.

The other 20%, you just have to kill the process because someone didn't follow UI guidelines.

20 hours ago, EdH said:

Try ALT-TAB. That can often bring up a dialog box that pops up under something. Or minimize all apps one at a time until it shows up. Doesn't always work, but does about 80% of the time.

The other 20%, you just have to kill the process because someone didn't follow UI guidelines.

Could be, though if I just click on the icon the orange disappears and the normal green icon appears.  It's happened when EN and eM Client are the only apps running, really no place to hide a pop up.  Next time, though I will Alt-Tab just to be sure.  Thanks.

17 minutes ago, CalS said:

Could be, though if I just click on the icon the orange disappears and the normal green icon appears.  It's happened when EN and eM Client are the only apps running, really no place to hide a pop up.  Next time, though I will Alt-Tab just to be sure.  Thanks.

I've had Evernote popups pop up under the Evernote Window, so this could happen with just Evernote running.

3 hours ago, EdH said:

I've had Evernote popups pop up under the Evernote Window, so this could happen with just Evernote running.

Again, could be, but I don't think that's the case.  I'll verify one way or another the next time I get the orange icon and report back.

This is the worst Beta ever, there are no informations about when will be the next update. Evernote crashes every 10 minutes, drag & drop to somewhere doesn't work for a long time. when double clicking on image the entire note dissappears, changing to another notes does not show anything. There is a lot more bugs and it's really frustrating to work.

This is the worst Beta ever, there are no informations about when will be the next update. Evernote crashes every 10 minutes, drag & drop to somewhere doesn't work for a long time. when double clicking on image the entire note dissappears, changing to another notes does not show anything. There is a lot more bugs and it's really frustrating to work.

On 2018-01-12 at 3:32 PM, EdH said:

Can you show me where they are then? When I go to https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/245-ios-beta/ the last Evernote-originated beta thread was for 8.4 beta 1 in August of 2017, five months ago. We have moved through at least a dozen over the rest of 8.4, 8.5, 8.6, 8.7, and now at 8.8b1.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong forum. 

Sorry, you did say beta;  I was referring to the posts for the public releases of software.  I don't participate in the private beta testing

1 hour ago, EdH said:

not for iOS. They won't use the forums, nor respond to user created beta threads in the forums. :(

My experience is that there is a release post similar to this discussion when ever a new version is released
(there were a couple of exceptions, and sometimes the post is delayed)

I use these release discussions to post bug reports related to the release