Jump to content
  • 0
Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Windows 6.9 Beta 1

Idea

[Edit 12/19: we've patched this build as some business users were encountering an issue creating notebooks intermittently. I've updated the link below to reflect the latest build.]

Hi Folks - 

We're announcing version 6.9 Beta 1 today. You can download it here, or by checking for updates. This version includes several fixes as well as a new placement for the 'New Note' button in the sidebar. For the interim, we're keeping the 'New Note' button present in the toolbar as well on upgrade but plan on removing that placement for Beta 2 assuming we see no issues with the functioning of the new placement. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team

----------------------------------

Release Notes for Version 6.9 

Note: Version 6.9 is supported on OS versions Windows 7 and up. 

Improved & Fixed: 

  1. Aligned 'New Note' button look + feel to other Evernote apps
  2. Fixed an issue where links in PDFs don't open in a browser
  3. Fixed an issue where ctrl+mousewheel doesn't zoom in/out

----------------------------------

Screenshot of New Note button: 

image.png.8b3e6e1757db473dfa69c597ab4cba77.png

Edited by Chantal Leonard
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Recommended Posts

  • 0

_ When double clicking an image the entire note dissappears, changing to another notes does not show anything (all notes blank), wtf...

_ Still Ctrl+ scroll not zomming note

:(

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
Posted (edited)

Bug report, not sure if this has been reported before.  Useless hyperlinks get automatically added to my workout notes.  I may be doing sets where I drop the reps as the weight is increased.  The reps for whatever reason get hyperlinked.  I can remove the link with right click remove, but still....

ScreenClip.png.da7146d355d137617f99e79af0798910.png

EDIT:  Not sure if Windows version is doing this or if it happens when I open the note in IOS.  

Edited by CalS
Additional thought

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Please restore the function 'CTRL + mouse wheel ' (font view resize)  .

I am very uncomfortable for this change. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Here is a bug I would like to see fixed. It has been around a while I think.

When you paste an image into a note (via clipboard). You can never click the @ button (to edit/crop/annotate) the image without clicking away from the note into another note then clicking back. Clicking the @ button just does nothing until to click away then back.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 1/5/2018 at 3:10 PM, pepr said:

_ When double clicking an image the entire note dissappears, changing to another notes does not show anything (all notes blank), wtf...

_ Still Ctrl+ scroll not zomming note

:(

4

I can confirm the first one - the only way to "recover" seems to be to restart the app.

Ctrl+scroll works for me, including on the 'active' note - the previous version required me to change note then come back to the one I wanted to enlarge or reduce. Nice to comment on something positive for a change.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 12/20/2017 at 2:47 PM, eafpres said:

Running 6.9.2.6423 on Windows 10

Bug: select a stack (not a notebook within it)

Begin typing in the search bar

Focus goes to All Notes, and that persists when the search is executed

Result:  you need to use the drop down to go back to the stack you wanted to search

EDIT:  Clearing the search leaves you in All Notes

EDIT: After selecting the desired stack, editing the search shifts focus back to All Notes

I have noticed this same problem too.  6.9.2.6423 (306423) Prerelease (CE Build ce-1.36.3494)

I don't know when it started exactly, but I did notice it after the new year, but it may have started before Christmas holiday break and I simply didn't notice. 

Something I have noticed when I select a stack on the left, the top level "Notebooks" stays selected - both the "Notebooks" and the stack are highlighted. The notes in the list are from the selected stack. The search / view description says "Viewing <X> Notes in <Stack> ".  As soon as I start typing in the search that changes to "Viewing <X> Notes in All Notes matching...". 

 

Have you found any work around besides selecting the stack from the search description drop down after searching?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
12 minutes ago, xjamms said:

Have you found any work around besides selecting the stack from the search description drop down after searching?

I have not found any other workaround. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

The Shortcuts are not stable, thus, they disappear and appear randomly after syncing...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I think that this is most buggiest beta ever. 

Waiting for the update. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 12/29/2017 at 5:19 PM, DTLow said:

I'm using a Mac but I found that exporting notes in html format includes every attachment.  It should work to release your stranded pdfs

This does work! However, it generates a new Date Created - the original from the attachment is gone. I'm not sure if Evernote deletes this when files are brought in or not. What I do know is all of my PDFs are dated for the same day now. It's not so bad for the last few years' worth of PDFs, when I got a scanner and named them as they came in (with dates), but I've got years' worth of PDFs with bad names (generated by the office scanner) and no dates. I have to edit each one (about 250 of them). Absolutely doable; I'll just have to block time off.

At least they're out of Evernote, though, so thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Recently I've noticed that from time to time the EN icon in the task bar turns orange,.  Click on it and it goes back to green, nothing else happens as far as I can tell.  This orange symbolic of anything?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 1/9/2018 at 9:29 AM, chirmer said:

This does work! However, it generates a new Date Created - the original from the attachment is gone.

Doesn't look like the HTML export process preserves the updated or created date, as it does in exporting to ENEX. Curiously it preserves reminder time...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Evernote Beta 6.9 Beta 1 crashing every 15 minutes, and drag & drop to blogs and social networks doesn't work. Also, when double clicking an image the entire note dissappears, changing to another notes does not show anything.

This is the worst beta version ever and I can't wait for Beta 2 but when, for 12 months? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, Normabel said:

Evernote Beta 6.9 Beta 1 crashing every 15 minutes, and drag & drop to blogs and social networks doesn't work. Also, when double clicking an image the entire note dissappears, changing to another notes does not show anything.

This is the worst beta version ever and I can't wait for Beta 2 but when, for 12 months? 

 

it is a beta. Yes, crashes like crazy. They know. But it is a beta. If that doesn't work for you, unininstall and install the GA.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 1/9/2018 at 9:49 AM, CalS said:

Recently I've noticed that from time to time the EN icon in the task bar turns orange,.  Click on it and it goes back to green, nothing else happens as far as I can tell.  This orange symbolic of anything?

Did a screen capture and here is what it looks like.

ScreenClip.png.82ef1426865bec5091043a848f3b63f3.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, EdH said:

it is a beta. Yes, crashes like crazy. They know. But it is a beta. If that doesn't work for you, unininstall and install the GA.

Of course you are right.  However, more than once I was told by customer support to install the beta as a fix for whatever bug I was reporting.

The irony is that you can only get support for a  release, not a beta.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
46 minutes ago, lisec said:

The irony is that you can only get support for a  release, not a beta.  

 

I have actually opened tickets on betas, with the goal and outcome being they communicate with development.  The reasons I have done this are mainly when this forum is silent on my reported issues.  In general, when I see an issue w/a beta my main concern is to (a) get someone else to confirm it, and (b) ensure development is aware.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 minutes ago, eafpres said:

I have actually opened tickets on betas, with the goal and outcome being they communicate with development.  The reasons I have done this are mainly when this forum is silent on my reported issues.  In general, when I see an issue w/a beta my main concern is to (a) get someone else to confirm it, and (b) ensure development is aware.

Opening a ticket is ok, but these release discussions are the channel to report issues related to the version

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Opening a ticket is ok, but these release discussions are the channel to report issues related to the version

not for iOS. They won't use the forums, nor respond to user created beta threads in the forums. :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 minutes ago, Krunoslav said:

Yes Indeed. I agree. And we don't seem to be going forward either. Before version 6.5.4 every beta I tested was safe. It had only one bug or none and it was safe to test. Now its getting worse with each beta, from not safe to not even usable. Someone needs to take responsibility.

Agreed.  I had to revert to the last General Release, and it is quite possibly as buggy as this beta.  Beta's should not be that bad, but for heaven's sake, a general release should DEFINITELY not be as buggy as 6.8 is. I seriously do not know what they are up to, but if the company I worked for put out something this bad (well, they wouldn't because I wouldn't let them), but you can bet your bottom dollar that they would have had patches out within days to fix the bugs. I mean the RELEASE is next to unusable!

This is no way to create confidence in your product.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
49 minutes ago, DTLow said:

My experience is that there is a release post similar to this discussion when ever a new version is released
(there were a couple of exceptions, and sometimes the post is delayed)

I use these release discussions to post bug reports related to the release

Can you show me where they are then? When I go to https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/245-ios-beta/ the last Evernote-originated beta thread was for 8.4 beta 1 in August of 2017, five months ago. We have moved through at least a dozen over the rest of 8.4, 8.5, 8.6, 8.7, and now at 8.8b1.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

My experience is that there is a release post similar to this discussion when ever a new version is released
(there were a couple of exceptions, and sometimes the post is delayed)

I use these release discussions to post bug reports related to the release

Oh. I got confused. Being in a beta forum saying the forums are for reporting beta issues and not using the ticket system, I was talking about the iOS beta.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 2018-01-09 at 6:29 AM, chirmer said:

However, it generates a new Date Created - the original from the attachment is gone.

Confirmed, the file date is set to the date the export is run.  I'm happy with my backups, but I have over 10,000 files with the same date (and no tags).  

fwiw  (not much) the information is embedded in the file/document

I generally prefix the note title with the subject date.  I plan to create a script to extract the info and set the file Date Created and Tags

edited: @lisec   I will share the script but it will be AppleScript and Unix for a Mac   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 12/23/2017 at 1:09 PM, CalS said:

Bug report, dictionary.  Don't know if this is related to this release.

I had to rebuild my data base after last week's outage.  I did a revo and full delete of the EN folders. 

  1. I got a spell check error and I selected add to dictionary and a text file appeared on my desktop named Custom Dictionary.txt
  2. Thought that was weird, so I added a second word to the dictionary and a file appeared named Custom Dictionary.txt.backup
  3. Adding a third word did not create a new file on the desktop.
  4. After I moved the two files to the recycle bin, spell check worked fine, the words were recognized.
  5. Now add another word to the dictionary and the process above repeats.

I don't see the Dict folder in my EN directory, I think there used to be one.  When I open the text file the words I've added are in a single string, no doubt with hidden delimiters.  The words are followed immediately by checksum_v1 = <a bunch of characters>.

I think I found the cause of this.  I had to re-install after the outage a few weeks back.  For whatever reason a Dict folder was not created in the Evernote folder.  I just added one from a backup and things are fine now. 

Issue would be why the Dict folder was not created when I reinstalled EN I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
16 hours ago, DTLow said:

Confirmed, the file date is set to the date the export is run.  I'm happy with my backups, but I have over 10,000 files with the same date (and no tags).  

fwiw  (not much) the information is embedded in the file/document

I generally prefix the note title with the subject date.  I plan to create a script to extract the info and set the file Date Created and Tags

Oh, you will share that script, right?  Right??? 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
21 hours ago, DTLow said:

Opening a ticket is ok, but these release discussions are the channel to report issues related to the version

Yes, I agree.  But if I'm ignored for several days I sometimes will reach out to support. :)

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Today, out of the blue, EN is constantly collapsing the navigation panel, even when in background.  5a5a49380165d_20180113ENissue.jpg.85edd8dd62ff6be83d2da8b828b371e3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, eafpres said:

Today, out of the blue, EN is constantly collapsing the navigation panel, even when in background.  5a5a49380165d_20180113ENissue.jpg.85edd8dd62ff6be83d2da8b828b371e3.jpg

Yup, I've seen this several times with this beta, but it was always after one of the frequent crashes. I've never seen it just do that.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 1/5/2018 at 3:50 PM, CalS said:

Bug reported previously, supposed to be getting fixed.

Is there any word on when this might get fixed?

My Evernotes are suddenly acting like Invisible/Disappearingnotes. Very scary!

Both beta machines are effected. Each have 3 displays and Invidia graphic cards.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, rbhandacs said:

Is there any word on when this might get fixed?

Haven't heard anything from EN on when a fix will be available, hopefully before the next public release, but who knows at this point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 1/12/2018 at 8:25 PM, DTLow said:

Confirmed, the file date is set to the date the export is run.  I'm happy with my backups, but I have over 10,000 files with the same date (and no tags).  

fwiw  (not much) the information is embedded in the file/document

I generally prefix the note title with the subject date.  I plan to create a script to extract the info and set the file Date Created and Tags

edited: @lisec   I will share the script but it will be AppleScript for a Mac   

Damn apple!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hi there,

I made a mistake - instead of posting my report to the latest beta here I opened a new thread in the Windows forum:

Maybe you can shift it to this thread and have look at it ...

 

Thx, EvB.

 

image.png

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

BTW, in the German version the search is still broken in some respects. 

As reported before, I have a saved search showing notes either created "today" or modified "today".

What is working on my Mac and on the web (showing the results for "either") in the German EN client is changed to "all".

Glad if you could have a look into this, should be an issue of localization if it does not appear like this in the English version.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Re: behavior reported by evb of "new user info".

I’m seeing the same behavior in the English version. What’s odd is I didn’t update the software. Must be a config thing but how did it change without my doing anything?

It began at the same time as my previously reported issue that the navigation pane now collapses on its own constantly.

Makes me a bit concerned that something can change like this without installing an update.

If I exit EN and then restart, the message header appears.  If I close it, and use the "X" to close the EN window, then reopen, the message does not appear.  Unclicking "Show Helper Notifications" does not fix it (suggested in the main forum, already confirmed not to work by evb.).

Edited by eafpres
add note on repro

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Well, this is a new one for me. Resumed my laptop and this is what Evernote was showing.

I don't even have a Business account. I did until 2015 but that was disconnected almost 3 years ago. Why would this even be here? This machine is a fresh install about 8 months ago, so no possible database carryover of any junk.

Just noticed it also says "Business Notebooks" at the top. There are no "Business Notebooks" nor any business section in my left scroll bar.

 

2018-01-15_10-09-20.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

{01/15/18 @ 15:35 EDT}

I have encountered numerous problems with version 6.8.7 that did not exist with the previous version. Do I need to list the problems or do you have debug (before release) as an item on your software development chart? 

Good: The new print preview is a great addition.

Not good: The new 1/2'" margins are not appreciated. Also about 10 newly created bugs with this release.

I started a bug list after a few minutes use of the release. How could your debug activity not detect them? Was this version released with the bugs known? Any plans to go back to the last version? When will a "good" release be available? Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
48 minutes ago, EV win10 user said:

{01/15/18 @ 15:35 EDT}

I started a bug list after a few minutes use of the release. How could your debug activity not detect them? Was this version released with the bugs known? Any plans to go back to the last version? When will a "good" release be available? Thanks.

I have a bug list too, but I got tired of taking 30 minutes per bug (details and screenshots and how to reproduce...) because, to be honest, I think it will be all for nothing. They don't want to hear about bugs or have to deal with specific issues; they just want you to re-install or get the beta and get off their backs. At least that's how I see it.

Has anyone gone back to the release prior to 6.8?  I think it was something like 6.5 that worked fine?  I'm worried about losing notes that have used the more modern "tables"...

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 1/12/2018 at 9:47 AM, CalS said:

Did a screen capture and here is what it looks like.

ScreenClip.png.82ef1426865bec5091043a848f3b63f3.png

That's Windows telling you an unfocused program is trying to get your attention. Typically, a dialog has popped up.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, dconnet said:

That's Windows telling you an unfocused program is trying to get your attention. Typically, a dialog has popped up.

Thanks, hmmm.  No dialog visible when I’ve noticed and clicked the icon, so not sure what is going on.  Random thought, this appeared about the same time as the crashes overnight when no activity in EN.  any correlation?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
8 minutes ago, CalS said:

Thanks, hmmm.  No dialog visible when I’ve noticed and clicked the icon, so not sure what is going on.  Random thought, this appeared about the same time as the crashes overnight when no activity in EN.  any correlation?

Try ALT-TAB. That can often bring up a dialog box that pops up under something. Or minimize all apps one at a time until it shows up. Doesn't always work, but does about 80% of the time.

The other 20%, you just have to kill the process because someone didn't follow UI guidelines.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

The button Copy internal Link doesn't work for me but using the shortcut works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
20 hours ago, EdH said:

Try ALT-TAB. That can often bring up a dialog box that pops up under something. Or minimize all apps one at a time until it shows up. Doesn't always work, but does about 80% of the time.

The other 20%, you just have to kill the process because someone didn't follow UI guidelines.

Could be, though if I just click on the icon the orange disappears and the normal green icon appears.  It's happened when EN and eM Client are the only apps running, really no place to hide a pop up.  Next time, though I will Alt-Tab just to be sure.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
17 minutes ago, CalS said:

Could be, though if I just click on the icon the orange disappears and the normal green icon appears.  It's happened when EN and eM Client are the only apps running, really no place to hide a pop up.  Next time, though I will Alt-Tab just to be sure.  Thanks.

I've had Evernote popups pop up under the Evernote Window, so this could happen with just Evernote running.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, EdH said:

I've had Evernote popups pop up under the Evernote Window, so this could happen with just Evernote running.

Again, could be, but I don't think that's the case.  I'll verify one way or another the next time I get the orange icon and report back.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Ctrl + MouseWheel Zoom function is still not working. However, Ctrl + "+/-" Zoom works.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
 
This is the worst Beta ever, there are no informations about when will be the next update. Evernote crashes every 10 minutes, drag & drop to somewhere doesn't work for a long time. when double clicking on image the entire note dissappears, changing to another notes does not show anything. There is a lot more bugs and it's really frustrating to work.

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

This is the worst Beta ever, there are no informations about when will be the next update. Evernote crashes every 10 minutes, drag & drop to somewhere doesn't work for a long time. when double clicking on image the entire note dissappears, changing to another notes does not show anything. There is a lot more bugs and it's really frustrating to work.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Has a PDF viewer been added? I'm seeing PDFs like I was viewing them on chrome, which is awesome!

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
44 minutes ago, GiacomoLaw said:

Has a PDF viewer been added? I'm seeing PDFs like I was viewing them on chrome, which is awesome!

 

Except for some functionality that got removed, in particular one click opening and drag and drop of the PDFs.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
  • -1
On 2018-01-12 at 3:32 PM, EdH said:

Can you show me where they are then? When I go to https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/245-ios-beta/ the last Evernote-originated beta thread was for 8.4 beta 1 in August of 2017, five months ago. We have moved through at least a dozen over the rest of 8.4, 8.5, 8.6, 8.7, and now at 8.8b1.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong forum. 

Sorry, you did say beta;  I was referring to the posts for the public releases of software.  I don't participate in the private beta testing

Share this post


Link to post
  • -2
1 hour ago, EdH said:

not for iOS. They won't use the forums, nor respond to user created beta threads in the forums. :(

My experience is that there is a release post similar to this discussion when ever a new version is released
(there were a couple of exceptions, and sometimes the post is delayed)

I use these release discussions to post bug reports related to the release

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×