Evernote for Windows 6.9 Beta 1

Chantal Leonard

Idea

[Edit 12/19: we've patched this build as some business users were encountering an issue creating notebooks intermittently. I've updated the link below to reflect the latest build.]

Hi Folks - 

We're announcing version 6.9 Beta 1 today. You can download it here, or by checking for updates. This version includes several fixes as well as a new placement for the 'New Note' button in the sidebar. For the interim, we're keeping the 'New Note' button present in the toolbar as well on upgrade but plan on removing that placement for Beta 2 assuming we see no issues with the functioning of the new placement. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team

----------------------------------

Release Notes for Version 6.9 

Note: Version 6.9 is supported on OS versions Windows 7 and up. 

Improved & Fixed: 

1. Aligned 'New Note' button look + feel to other Evernote apps
  2. Fixed an issue where links in PDFs don't open in a browser
  3. Fixed an issue where ctrl+mousewheel doesn't zoom in/out

----------------------------------

Screenshot of New Note button: 

image.png.8b3e6e1757db473dfa69c597ab4cba77.png

• Level 5*

The PDF context menu issue seems to be fixed, thanks for that.  :) 

Still lobbying for drag the PDF to another app and one click open in preferred reader.  ;)

The add button is definitely green compared to the old blue.  Easy enough to spot.

Any other Easter eggs in this beta?

• Level 5*

Randomly when i click on a PDF not viewed as attachment, Avast kicks in, didn't happen prior to this beta.  Haven't determined a repeatable process as yet.  Interesting, it just happened when I clicked on the image below to edit.  Didn't happen the second time I clicked on the annotation button, FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.8b93fa630efeab8e36a34c5527a30186.png

Just now, CalS said:

Randomly when i click on a PDF not viewed as attachment, Avast kicks in, didn't happen prior to this beta.  Haven't determined a repeatable process as yet.  Interesting, it just happened when I clicked on the image below to edit.  Didn't happen the second time I clicked on the annotation button, FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.8b93fa630efeab8e36a34c5527a30186.png

hmm. thanks for reporting. If you can figure out a repeatable way to trigger, please let us know!

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

hmm. thanks for reporting. If you can figure out a repeatable way to trigger, please let us know!

Will do.  Any changes to the thumbnailer.exe object in this beta?  Avast is updating virus definitions daily I suppose.

Bug: When left-clicking on image in the note it will be selected and cursor changes to zoom icon. The second left-click on a image with cursor as a  zoom icon will result in the content of the note completely disappearing. The content is still reflected in  a snippet view but not in the  note window / editor. If I open the offending note in its own window, the content of the note is restored. However, if I repeat above steps in the note own window I get the same results. Changing between  different notes only displays note title, not the notes content. Restarting Evernote  will restore the notes contents. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Evernote ver. 6.9.2.6423(306423) Prelease (CE Build ce-1.36.3494).

• Level 5*

Bug.  When clicking bulleted list after the last item has been entered the cursor goes to the first element of the list as opposed to removing the bullet and outdenting to the margin.

20171219_144330.gif.595c98e4a0ac086a94d170ee3ca97207.gif

1 hour ago, keisoko said:

Bug: When left-clicking on image in the note it will be selected and cursor changes to zoom icon. The second left-click on a image with cursor as a  zoom icon will result in the content of the note completely disappearing. The content is still reflected in  a snippet view but not in the  note window / editor. If I open the offending note in its own window, the content of the note is restored. However, if I repeat above steps in the note own window I get the same results. Changing between  different notes only displays note title, not the notes content. Restarting Evernote  will restore the notes contents. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Evernote ver. 6.9.2.6423(306423) Prelease (CE Build ce-1.36.3494).

The 2nd left-click for me takes me into gallery view, does that happen for you? 

8 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

The 2nd left-click for me takes me into gallery view, does that happen for you?

No, as I said, the note content simply disappears. And it affects surrounding notes. No gallery view.

Hi, 

please give the option to put the new  'New Note' button in the sidebar down and/or remove from the sidebar.  

The shortcuts inside the sidebar are my best friend and this new button let down and reduce the space for it and tags (another my best friend). 

There is so many space upstare (in the old placement) that I no understood why to remove space where is already not much.

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, loriswave said:

put the new  'New Note' button in the sidebar down and/or remove from the sidebar

We're just seeing the New Note button on our Macs, and there are similar complaints.

I actually keep a minimal sidebar view; no lists for shortcuts or tags.  I display them only when I need them.

The New Note button works for me at the fixed location on the top of the sidebar.  I wouldn't want to be searching at the bottom of the shortcut/tag list.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

We're just seeing the New Note button on our Macs, and there are similar complaints.

I actually keep a minimal sidebar view; no lists for shortcuts or tags.  I display them only when I need them.

The New Note button works for me at the fixed location on the top of the sidebar.  I wouldn't want to be searching at the bottom of the shortcut/tag list.

It doesn't belong anywhere in the sidebar at all. Not on Mac, not on Windows. It's a misguided idea.  

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, loriswave said:

please give the option to put the new  'New Note' button in the sidebar down and/or remove from the sidebar.  

At this point, I'm pretty hard-wired for Ctrl+N, so it's kinda wasted space for me. Fortunately I keep my left pane pretty clean (minimal notebooks, collapsed tag tree, minimal saved searches), so it's not a big problem.

One suggestion for the New Note button though: making Ctrl+Click on the New Note button open the new empty reminder note in a separate window.

• Level 5*
On 12/18/2017 at 5:04 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Fixed an issue where ctrl+mousewheel doesn't zoom in/out

I'm not seeing this working. This a zoom on all note content, similar to a web browser?

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, jefito said:

One suggestion for the New Note button though: making Ctrl+Click on the New Note button open the new empty note in a separate window.

In addition to the existing option?

• Drag-and drop of any type of attachment from Outlook mails into existing note still not possible in 6.9.2.  Used to work fine in versions previous to v. 6.8.
  • Cannot mark PDFs for moving/deleting unless changing them to attachment format.
  • Update: Checked it with WIndows Live Mail. Same issue.
  • Did a roll-back to 6.8.1.5832, drag'n drop works fine again.
  • Update: Upgrade to 6.8.4 and it still worked but ONLY from Windows Live Mail, no longer from Outlook. Upgrade to 6.8.5 and thereon kills it also from Windows Live Mail.

Running 6.9.2.6423 on Windows 10

Bug: select a stack (not a notebook within it)

Begin typing in the search bar

Focus goes to All Notes, and that persists when the search is executed

Result:  you need to use the drop down to go back to the stack you wanted to search

EDIT:  Clearing the search leaves you in All Notes

EDIT: After selecting the desired stack, editing the search shifts focus back to All Notes

I hope you guys will consider NOT placing the giant NEW NOTE button at the top of the Left Panel (or at least allowing us to hide it) and also not removing the New Note button from the toolbar. 

The Left Panel is incredibly valuable screen real estate, and the New Note button is eating heavily into that, and pushing down my Shortcuts to secondary status (and my notebooks and tags, etc).  The New Note button in the toolbar works perfectly and has the dropdown for selecting what type of new note you're creating.  Thanks for listening!

Jay Winger

Please don't move the New Note button. Like other users, I need my left panel for shortcuts. Please don't fix stuff that isn't broken. If you have an awesome reason for moving the button (or doing other stuff) please let us know. I can be convinced, and I can advocate and instruct my users on the changes.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, cleverusername said:

If you have an awesome reason for moving the button

How about a common UI across all platforms  (Maybe .1 on the Awesome Scale)

Even more awesome would be making the button optional

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

So, where does the New Note button "belong"

6 hours ago, pgdahl said:

It belongs where it has always been.

Well that makes it completely clear.

On Macs, the location is in the top toolbar.  It can be removed for a customized view
5a3adae0674f3_ScreenShot2017-12-20at13_48_14.png.7fc8d3a56dba92d3b432a8898f5f22ac.png

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

How about a common UI across all platforms

No. Microsoft is doing this with OneNote and there is nothing worse than a mobile phone UI on a desktop, or a desktop UI on a mobile phone.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, cleverusername said:

Please don't move the New Note button. Like other users, I need my left panel for shortcuts. Please don't fix stuff that isn't broken. If you have an awesome reason for moving the button (or doing other stuff) please let us know. I can be convinced, and I can advocate and instruct my users on the changes.

New note button? Check.

Preventing permanent data loss? not so much.

9 hours ago, DTLow said:

Well that makes it completely clear.

On Macs, the location is in the top toolbar.  It can be removed for a customized view
5a3adae0674f3_ScreenShot2017-12-20at13_48_14.png.7fc8d3a56dba92d3b432a8898f5f22ac.png

Crystal clear. A "New Note" button has always existed on the menu bar. Never in the sidepanel or the notelist or in the bottom or anywhere else. Windows and Mac. I believe an older version of the web client had a note creation button in a menu bar at the top.

Hopefully, Evernote will take your hint and make the new button removable as well.

I'll agree with everyone else here, and request that the "New Note" in the left panel never makes it into the GA release of 6.9.x.  There's no need for it, and it overcrowds an already busy left panel.

On another note, is it not about time we got "local tags", to go along with "local notebooks"???

16 hours ago, jefito said:

At this point, I'm pretty hard-wired for Ctrl+N, so it's kinda wasted space for me. Fortunately I keep my left pane pretty clean (minimal notebooks, collapsed tag tree, minimal saved searches), so it's not a big problem.

One suggestion for the New Note button though: making Ctrl+Click on the New Note button open the new empty reminder note in a separate window.

Have a look in your Tools->Options->Shortcut keys, on my setup the shortcut for a new note, will automatically open it in a new window (CTRL + ALT + N), while (CTRL + N) will open it inside the Evernote window.

14 hours ago, CalS said:

@Chantal Leonard

The Avast interrupt happened again.  Nothing special, I clicked on the annotate icon right after a screen clip and the message below appeared.  Different module this time.

ScreenClip.png.d8c53294c956004f1316d53156e518fb.png

Thanks CalS - chatted with our engineers and we had to make a small change to the thumbnailer .exe because our renderer for web content got updated which is likely causing the warning. Once we have a bit more usage from more users avast and other antivirus software should update their definitions and stop flagging. Let me know if you're still seeing in a week or two. Thank you!

17 hours ago, EdH said:

No. Microsoft is doing this with OneNote and there is nothing worse than a mobile phone UI on a desktop, or a desktop UI on a mobile phone.

This might be worse in the future (I don't mean questionable thing with EN's UI) Apple announced they are planning to allow apps that run on the iOS and macOS - if the UI changes to match the client this won't be a problem, but if not - users will see more of this in general :-(  - And I remember MS doing the Metro thing (Win 8) on the desktop - was my least favorite Windows OS - - I only used that version when I had too - but I digress 

• Level 5*

Weird.  Also bug. (I think).  Just left-clicked on a 900K image expecting to see a slideshow,  and 1) no slideshow.  Also 2) no image - the note body is now blank,  as is the note body of all other notes I look at,  images,  PDFs or whatever.  Task Manager shows 67.9MB memory in use,  no disk or network access.  Evernote seems to be dozing.

This happened last night while the outage was going on,  and when I restarted Evernote this morning (my local times) the note content was back.  I assumed that was the problem,  but it now seems that 6.9 is a bit flaky with images.  Will restart now without many worries,  but that's disconcerting!!

(PS while fixing this,  how about going back to left-click = open in default application?  Please?)

Edit:  restarted and everything is back. ;)

7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Weird.  Also bug. (I think).  Just left-clicked on a 900K image expecting to see a slideshow,  and 1) no slideshow.  Also 2) no image - the note body is now blank,  as is the note body of all other notes I look at,  images,  PDFs or whatever.  Task Manager shows 67.9MB memory in use,  no disk or network access.  Evernote seems to be dozing.

This happened last night while the outage was going on,  and when I restarted Evernote this morning (my local times) the note content was back.  I assumed that was the problem,  but it now seems that 6.9 is a bit flaky with images.  Will restart now without many worries,  but that's disconcerting!!

(PS while fixing this,  how about going back to left-click = open in default application?  Please?)

Edit:  restarted and everything is back. ;)

Yes we have 2 bugs filed for this and being worked on by Dev for the next beta update

20 hours ago, eafpres said:

Bug: select a stack (not a notebook within it)

Begin typing in the search bar

Focus goes to All Notes, and that persists when the search is executed

Result:  you need to use the drop down to go back to the stack you wanted to search

EDIT:  Clearing the search leaves you in All Notes

EDIT: After selecting the desired stack, editing the search shifts focus back to All Notes

Has anyone confirmed this behavior?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

This might be worse in the future (I don't mean questionable thing with EN's UI) Apple announced they are planning to allow apps that run on the iOS and macOS - if the UI changes to match the client this won't be a problem, but if not - users will see more of this in general :-(  - And I remember MS doing the Metro thing (Win 8) on the desktop - was my least favorite Windows OS - - I only used that version when I had too - but I digress 

It depends on the developer. Many iOS apps are formatted differently from the phone and iPad. Heck, some even tweak the UI for the phabletty "plus" models vs the regular phones.

Only lazy programmers will do one UI and leave it to the user to use that on everything from a 4" phone screen to a 24" desktop.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, k82 said:

On another note, is it not about time we got "local tags", to go along with "local notebooks"???

How would local tags work? Tags aren't associated with notebooks, they're global to your account, and are applied to notes. How would they behave differently than tags that are only applied to local notes in a local notebook? Can a local tag have the same name as a normal tag?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jefito said:

How would local tags work? Tags aren't associated with notebooks, they're global to your account, and are applied to notes. How would they behave differently than tags that are only applied to local notes in a local notebook? Can a local tag have the same name as a normal tag?

Not sure that is totally true as external tags from shared notebooks to you don't work the same way as your own tags.

That said, why would you want local only tags? Are your tags so secret that you don't want them uploaded? If that were the case, you shouldn't be using Evernote as there is no way to have a fully offline experience unless you sign in to a profile on your PC and then only use Evernote when the PC is disconnected from the internet.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, k82 said:

Have a look in your Tools->Options->Shortcut keys, on my setup the shortcut for a new note, will automatically open it in a new window (CTRL + ALT + N), while (CTRL + N) will open it inside the Evernote window.

Sure. So this would extend clicking on the New Note button in the same way at Ctrl+Alt+N extends Ctrl+N.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, EdH said:

Not sure that is totally true as external tags from shared notebooks to you don't work the same way as your own tags.

Not sure what "not sure this is totally true" refers to. In any case, shared tags do work the same way as your own tags, at least in terms of search, where there's no distinction among tags of the same name, no matter where they come from. In fact, I don't know of any way to search on shared tag 'a' as opposed to local tag 'a'. (or vice-versa) Conversely, tags with the same name can now be separated in your tag tree (and in the tag pane, that didn't use to be the case), but if you select a tag in the tag tree, any shared tag with the same name also becomes selected.

15 minutes ago, EdH said:

That said, why would you want local only tags?

If you're asking me, it's not my proposal. I don't understand the use case, and don't see what it would add to Evernote...

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, pgdahl said:

A "New Note" button has always existed on the menu bar. Never in the sidepanel or the notelist or in the bottom or anywhere else. Windows and Mac.

The notelist location would be less ambiguous, especially when minimized to just an icon.  I'm voting for optional; I'll post as a feature request if this makes it to GA release

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The notelist location would be less ambiguous, especially when minimized to just an icon.  I'm voting for optional; I'll post as a request if this makes it to GA release

I don't know, the left panel sort of segregates notes and the tool bar acts with individual notes.  And it is the one dark blue icon in Windows.  Maybe less ambiguous in the tool bar.  Just saying...

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, CalS said:

Maybe less ambiguous in the tool bar.

...and unlike all the other entries in the left panel,  the nice new BIG green spot is fixed so it's always visible,  taking up space.  My favorites and tags scroll under it. Rather have it at the top of the screen.  +1 for toolbar!

Also:  clipping emails (in Office / Outlook) often results in h--u--g--e gaps in the note layout which are impossible (and too time consuming anyway) to edit out.  I've resorted to using the 'see in browser' link in most commercial emails so I can clip from there...

18 hours ago, jefito said:

Well first let me describe my usecase, I use evernote for both personal use and work use.  When I use it for work use, I ensure that I use "local notebooks", so no content gets pushed into evernotes servers.  I would like to tag these notes, and have the tags (which may contain work specific keywords) also stay local.  I guess I'm more security conscious than most, and maybe it's not something that most people would like, but it's holding me back from being able to tag my work-based notebooks.

It's being discussed before, the 2nd post in that thread in my exact use case:

How "local tags" would work would entirely depend on how the Evernote developers decide to implement them. 

I guess we could have a case where we've a "local notebook", and local and shared tags could be used, although it makes most sense to use "local tags" for local notebooks IMO.

I see no reason that "local tags" can't have the same name, as a public tag perhaps it gets prefixed with some token (eg: say lt for "local tag", so we'd have tag "account", and local tag: "lt:account").  Both would be searchable, obviously only makes sense if the local notebook, and tags are local to the Evernote client installed on the machine being used. 

I'm using thumbnail view, and they all have a black background. Card view and snippet view thumbnails are fine, and thumbnails for notes that don't include any text (just an image or a pdf) are fine as well. This is happening for notes created on the desktop, but also web clips and notes created in the mobile apps on my ipad and android phone. It isn't specific for this version, it's been going on for a couple of weeks at least, but it's still happening in the current version.

ScreenClip.png

23 hours ago, EdH said:

It depends on the developer. Many iOS apps are formatted differently from the phone and iPad. Heck, some even tweak the UI for the phabletty "plus" models vs the regular phones.

Only lazy programmers will do one UI and leave it to the user to use that on everything from a 4" phone screen to a 24" desktop.

Or programmers given a hard ship date to release something, instead of time to release it right - not everything is the fault of the people building the software - just saying - but this is way off topic 

4 hours ago, h4nn4h said:

I'm using thumbnail view, and they all have a black background. Card view and snippet view thumbnails are fine, and thumbnails for notes that don't include any text (just an image or a pdf) are fine as well. This is happening for notes created on the desktop, but also web clips and notes created in the mobile apps on my ipad and android phone. It isn't specific for this version, it's been going on for a couple of weeks at least, but it's still happening in the current version.

ScreenClip.png

Thanks for the info, sharing with Dev

• Level 5*

Search filters are still affecting new notes and shouldn't - especially not imported notes. Repro:

• Filter notes in a search with a tag - i used #Starbucks in this case
  • put a file in an Evernote import folder
  • new note correctly goes to my @Inbox notebook, but incorrectly also is tagged with #Starbucks.

Further info: If I create a new note, say from the Task Bar, it creates the new note with the search filter tags prefilled in, and worse, I cannot delete the tag until I save then reopen the note.

Previous search filters should not mandate new notes adopt the tags in that search.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Or programmers given a hard ship date to release something, instead of time to release it right - not everything is the fault of the people building the software - just saying - but this is way off topic 

That's true. That is the "we don't have time to do it right the first time, so let's take the time to do it right the second time" philosophy, and is the fault of the program manager or their boss, not the dev.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Wait, what? I've never heard of such a thing!!  

:) 

4 hours ago, EdH said:

That's true. That is the "we don't have time to do it right the first time, so let's take the time to do it right the second time" philosophy, and is the fault of the program manager or their boss, not the dev.

Sometimes if you're lucky, you can build a good infrastructure and deliver the short-term goal on time, and hopefully make it easier to deliver the better solution down the road. Sometimes, you're not that lucky, though...

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, k82 said:

Well first let me describe my usecase, I use evernote for both personal use and work use.  When I use it for work use, I ensure that I use "local notebooks", so no content gets pushed into evernotes servers.  I would like to tag these notes, and have the tags (which may contain work specific keywords) also stay local. 

I just use two accounts, one for work and one for personal (the latter is a paid account; the work account is a freebie). I do share some notebooks back and forth between accounts (for example, my notebook for software development articles and related writings is in my personal notebook, since I've had that across three separate jobs, but I share it to my work account, because that's what I do for work. I find this pretty convenient. Needless to say, you can also keep the accounts wholly separated, so all tags would therefore be local in some sense to whichever account they belong to.

• Level 5*

Bug report, dictionary.  Don't know if this is related to this release.

I had to rebuild my data base after last week's outage.  I did a revo and full delete of the EN folders. 

1. I got a spell check error and I selected add to dictionary and a text file appeared on my desktop named Custom Dictionary.txt
  2. Thought that was weird, so I added a second word to the dictionary and a file appeared named Custom Dictionary.txt.backup
  3. Adding a third word did not create a new file on the desktop.
  4. After I moved the two files to the recycle bin, spell check worked fine, the words were recognized.
  5. Now add another word to the dictionary and the process above repeats.

I don't see the Dict folder in my EN directory, I think there used to be one.  When I open the text file the words I've added are in a single string, no doubt with hidden delimiters.  The words are followed immediately by checksum_v1 = <a bunch of characters>.

On 12/20/2017 at 4:40 PM, loriswave said:

Hi, 

The shortcuts inside the sidebar are my best friend and this new button let down and reduce the space for it and tags (another my best friend). 

There is so many space upstare (in the old placement) that I no understood why to remove space where is already not much.

+1 Just entered here to know how to get rid of this green button.

Evernote: Windows 6.9.2.6423 (306423) Prerelease

I am really having problems decrypting the password within my note.  Most times now it is now crashing your program, closing it completely!  I have to restart the computer to open up the Evernote program again!  The only way that I have been accessing the program is on the Web now.  Please fix.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, N. Lum said:

Evernote: Windows 6.9.2.6423 (306423) Prerelease

I am really having problems decrypting the password within my note.  Most times now it is now crashing your program, closing it completely!  I have to restart the computer to open up the Evernote program again!  The only way that I have been accessing the program is on the Web now.  Please fix.

Hi.  I'm using that version on Win 10 with no apparent problems.  My password protected text notes work fine.  I'd suggest you uninstall and reinstall Evernote,  and if the issue continues,  have a look at your general system maintenance.  Are you short of disk space? Have too many apps running at the same time?  Running on a slow network connection?  If everything otherwise is running correctly,  contact Support on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a paying customer,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not. 

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  I'm using that version on Win 10 with no apparent problems.  My password protected text notes work fine.  I'd suggest you uninstall and reinstall Evernote,  and if the issue continues,  have a look at your general system maintenance.  Are you short of disk space? Have too many apps running at the same time?  Running on a slow network connection?  If everything otherwise is running correctly,  contact Support on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a paying customer,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not. 

Thank you.  I am using Windows 8.  It didn't crash for the password protection part.  However, I opened another note, tried to attach a file, clicked onto another program, and it crashed again!

• Level 5*

Bug Report, 6.9.2.

In the last few days I have been working in other apps, mail or browser most likely, and EN has simply died, twice.  Nothing going on re EN, other than I suppose it may have been performing a scheduled sync.  After restarting EN I sent the crash reports.

• Level 5*

Anyone seeing EN just crash when you aren't using it? This is the 2nd time it has responded with this dialog box since installing this build. I always submit whatever it is that is being submitted.

Edit: Ugh. And when it came up, it collapsed all of my notebook stacks. Never ever do that. At least it didn't collapse my tag structure.

2017-12-27_10-53-04.png

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, EdH said:

Anyone seeing EN just crash when you aren't using it? This is the 2nd time it has responded with this dialog box since installing this build. I always submit whatever it is that is being submitted.

Yup, happened twice in the last week.  Reported it a couple of posts up.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

Yup, happened twice in the last week.  Reported it a couple of posts up.

Thanks. See it now. Did your notebook stacks get collapsed? One time mine didn't, and today they did. :wacko:

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, EdH said:

Thanks. See it now. Did your notebook stacks get collapsed? One time mine didn't, and today they did. :wacko:

You are welcome.  My standard view is Side List with Left Panel closed so don't know.  :(

3 hours ago, EdH said:

Thanks. See it now. Did your notebook stacks get collapsed? One time mine didn't, and today they did. 

I've been seeing this over the last couple of betas, including this one.  For me, nothing seems changed in stacks etc. after restart.

On 12/26/2017 at 1:26 PM, eafpres said:

This has been happening to me using the beta 2.  I had the problem before, then it seemingly cleared up, and now it is back.

I am thinking that I will NOT test out any beta version in the future.  My information is too important to lose it!  Evernote needs to ensure that this will not happen.  If not, it's NOT an elephant!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, N. Lum said:

I am thinking that I will NOT test out any beta version in the future.  My information is too important to lose it!  Evernote needs to ensure that this will not happen.  If not, it's NOT an elephant!

On the Mac platform we get this warning before enabling beta upgrades  5a3abaee1daab_ScreenShot2017-12-20at11_3

I haven't lost any data, but if it happens, I make sure I have backups for recovery

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, N. Lum said:

When you check the "beta box" you get a warning about doing it. You should uncheck it now. If you really want to get to a more stable version, uncheck it, uninstall, then reinstall a production version. Otherwise, you will stay at 6.9b1 until 6.9 hits GA. That could be one more beta, or 5 more and be weeks away,.

• Level 5*

I'm going to be frank.

I know Evernote doesn't release any information ahead of time regarding features, but the PDF viewer is so completely broken and a major step backward from the old one that I think we're owed an explanation of when we'll get our basic features back. We have had multiple betas with complaints registered, and nothing has changed. I'm losing confidence it ever will.

The move to the Chrome PDF viewer was a mistake, and it needs to be remedied immediately. The loss of drag/drop for PDFs is such a massive hindrance that Evernote's userbase either deserves an explanation and timetable for its return, or to be told, upfront, that it's not coming back.

My use of Evernote has ground to a halt without the ability to drag/drop PDFs, and if this feature doesn't return soon, I will be leaving the product permanently. I have a workflow I've honed over the past five years that is completely ruined, and it's slowing me down considerably at my work. If the feature will return soon, I can wait it out a bit longer. If not, I'm going to take the time to move on from Evernote to a product that will support my workflow better.

I have used and loved Evernote for 7 years. I don't want to leave the product - it's fantastic in every other way. But this is a no-go for me. I will make my stand on this feature, and if it's not coming back, I will sadly but permanently move on.

This is me begging Evernote staff to give us some answers. Please.

Where did the drag/drop attachments into Outlook (and vice versa) go?

Echoing Raybeam comment above "Drag-and drop of any type of attachment from Outlook mails into existing note still not possible in 6.9.2.  Used to work fine in versions previous to v. 6.8."

• Level 5*
On 12/18/2017 at 10:37 PM, FactMan said:

Cut and paste of pdfs after showing as attachments seems to work. Double-clicking to open the file seems to need showing as attachments as well.

This doesn't work for me. I'm literally unable to get PDFs out of Evernote, because even exporting attachments does not export every attachment from the selected notes. I'm getting pretty desperate at this point. Hundreds of stranded PDFs.

:unsure:

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, chirmer said:

This doesn't work for me. I'm literally unable to get PDFs out of Evernote, because even exporting attachments does not export every attachment from the selected notes. I'm getting pretty desperate at this point. Hundreds of stranded PDFs.

I'm using a Mac but I found that exporting notes in html format includes every attachment.  It should work to release your stranded pdfs

• Level 5*
On 2017-12-28 at 8:39 AM, eric99 said:

How can you ever know?

It's a good question, and I had to think about it (How can you ever know? Lost Data)

I know I can recover any data that's ever been lost in my Evernote database.  This is covered in my backups.
But I have no processes in place to cross-check for lost data.

On one level, I could say the data can't be important if I never notice it's missing; but that's not always true

I'm interested in comments from other users

On 12/27/2017 at 7:36 PM, CalS said:

If I've lost anything with Betas it has been time.

I'm happy to participate in beta.  But clearly not for everyone.  If you don't desperately need / want new features, just wait for regular releases.

1 hour ago, chirmer said:

I'm unclear on your use model, but for me I can open Evernote PDFs in my default PDF app, and I can save Evernote PDFs as well.  I don't use export but "open" and "save as" etc.  Not sure if it matters but I use Foxit for PDF editing, vs. Adobe.

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

It's a good question, and I had to think about it (How can you ever know? Lost Data)

I know I can recover any data that's ever been lost in my Evernote database.  This is covered in my backups.
But I have no processes in place to cross-check for lost data.

On one level, I could say the data can't be important if I never notice it's missing; but that's not always true

I'm interested in comments from other users

I just realized that I could create a saved search to find unexpected changes in old 'archived' notes : -created:20170101 updated:day-20

I can run it from time to time to intercept these changes and repair them from my backups

Of course this will only work if the change has been saved as a new update (which may not be the case if this was caused by a bug...)

This brings me to the idea that I can improve my EditConfirmation AHK script by checking  the last update to determine whether a popup confirmation box should be shown.

So any attempt to edit a stable note must be confirmed while newer dynamic notes can be edited immediately

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/104215-autohotkey-scripts-for-evernote/?do=findComment&comment=487691 

Obviously, implementing this directly in Evernote would be much simpler since I don't have direct access to this update timestamp from within my script.

Maybe something to be implemented in evernote's next release ?

On 12/26/2017 at 11:26 AM, eafpres said:

This has been happening to me using the beta 2.  I had the problem before, then it seemingly cleared up, and now it is back.

I have been seeing crashes nearly every few minutes with 6.9 beta 2.  Sometimes it just vanishes while not being accessed, other times while doing things (like: copy/paste, delete notes, file notes, etc.).  I'm considering going back to beta 1 or 6.8 GA it is affecting me so much.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, eafpres said:

I have been seeing crashes nearly every few minutes with 6.9 beta 2.  Sometimes it just vanishes while not being accessed, other times while doing things (like: copy/paste, delete notes, file notes, etc.).  I'm considering going back to beta 1 or 6.8 GA it is affecting me so much.

It is really bad. Keeps crashing on me when not in use. I just go back to it and it is gone, asking me to send the crash log.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, eafpres said:

I've not had any crashes since I reported the two back in late December.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, CalS said:

I work on a wooden desk,  so I don't have to reach out and touch the stuff;  and I haven't had any crashes at all...  (waits for the inevitable....)

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, CalS said:

Well of course, per @gazumped, as soon as I post the above I get a crash.  Minding my own business on the left screen and the right reserved for EN screen goes black.  Restart and send the error report.

Any comments from EN?  The error reports helping to find this gremlin?

22 hours ago, eafpres said:

You might have to go back further than that, as what you describe happens all the time in 6.8 GA (Win10).

• Level 5*
On 12/29/2017 at 6:54 PM, eafpres said:

I'm unclear on your use model, but for me I can open Evernote PDFs in my default PDF app, and I can save Evernote PDFs as well.  I don't use export but "open" and "save as" etc.  Not sure if it matters but I use Foxit for PDF editing, vs. Adobe.

I need to use export because I'm taking all of my PDFs out of Evernote in bulk. I hardly ever engage with the PDFs in Evernote; it's just storage. I scan them from my ScanSnap to a dedicated notebook (it's a marketing/program-planning form), and then move them from there to Trello. This is where I engage with them, as they each go on a card for that program's specific tasks. I never edit them, either - just read them.

Because I can no longer drag/drop anything from Evernote (including images) for a few versions now, I'm migrating all of these forms out of Evernote, and need to bulk export them. But when I select them all and click Save Attachments, I never get all of them. Even selecting a smaller segment doesn't export them all. Evernote gives no indication that it has started, is currently doing, or has finished Saving Attachments, so I'm stuck twiddling my thumbs and best-guessing when it's done. Even after 10 minutes, the 150 PDFs I try to export are somewhere around the 130 mark - which is where it was almost immediately after clicking Save Attachments.

On 12/27/2017 at 12:55 PM, EdH said:

Edit: Ugh. And when it came up, it collapsed all of my notebook stacks. Never ever do that. At least it didn't collapse my tag structure.

2017-12-27_10-53-04.png

Yes and stability work is being done to fix this

3 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Yes and stability work is being done to fix this

That's great.  Sometimes it seems to take quite a while for one of you nice Evernote folks to confirm issues we are reporting here in the beta forum.  It is most appreciated to get confirmation.  

_ When double clicking an image the entire note dissappears, changing to another notes does not show anything (all notes blank), wtf...

_ Still Ctrl+ scroll not zomming note

:(

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, pepr said:

_ When double clicking an image the entire note dissappears, changing to another notes does not show anything (all notes blank), wtf.

Bug reported previously, supposed to be getting fixed.

• Level 5*

Bug report, not sure if this has been reported before.  Useless hyperlinks get automatically added to my workout notes.  I may be doing sets where I drop the reps as the weight is increased.  The reps for whatever reason get hyperlinked.  I can remove the link with right click remove, but still....

ScreenClip.png.da7146d355d137617f99e79af0798910.png

EDIT:  Not sure if Windows version is doing this or if it happens when I open the note in IOS.  

Here is a bug I would like to see fixed. It has been around a while I think.

When you paste an image into a note (via clipboard). You can never click the @ button (to edit/crop/annotate) the image without clicking away from the note into another note then clicking back. Clicking the @ button just does nothing until to click away then back.

Archived