• Announcements

• Shane D.

Evernote Business Beta - Spaces   12/20/2017

We're very excited to announce the public beta of an upcoming rework for Evernote Business! To learn more, go Here
    • Shane D.

2018 Evernote Webinars   01/04/2018

To kick off the new year, we're excited to announce our  updated schedule for our series of webinars! Please check the events calendar to see which one works best for you!
Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Windows 6.9 Beta 1

Idea

[Edit 12/19: we've patched this build as some business users were encountering an issue creating notebooks intermittently. I've updated the link below to reflect the latest build.]

Hi Folks - 

We're announcing version 6.9 Beta 1 today. You can download it here, or by checking for updates. This version includes several fixes as well as a new placement for the 'New Note' button in the sidebar. For the interim, we're keeping the 'New Note' button present in the toolbar as well on upgrade but plan on removing that placement for Beta 2 assuming we see no issues with the functioning of the new placement. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team

----------------------------------

Release Notes for Version 6.9 

Note: Version 6.9 is supported on OS versions Windows 7 and up. 

Improved & Fixed: 

1. Aligned 'New Note' button look + feel to other Evernote apps
  2. Fixed an issue where links in PDFs don't open in a browser
  3. Fixed an issue where ctrl+mousewheel doesn't zoom in/out

----------------------------------

Screenshot of New Note button: 

image.png.8b3e6e1757db473dfa69c597ab4cba77.png

Edited by Chantal Leonard
  • Thanks 1

149 replies to this idea

Hi, 

please give the option to put the new  'New Note' button in the sidebar down and/or remove from the sidebar.  

The shortcuts inside the sidebar are my best friend and this new button let down and reduce the space for it and tags (another my best friend). 

There is so many space upstare (in the old placement) that I no understood why to remove space where is already not much.

• Like 4

I'm going to be frank.

I know Evernote doesn't release any information ahead of time regarding features, but the PDF viewer is so completely broken and a major step backward from the old one that I think we're owed an explanation of when we'll get our basic features back. We have had multiple betas with complaints registered, and nothing has changed. I'm losing confidence it ever will.

The move to the Chrome PDF viewer was a mistake, and it needs to be remedied immediately. The loss of drag/drop for PDFs is such a massive hindrance that Evernote's userbase either deserves an explanation and timetable for its return, or to be told, upfront, that it's not coming back.

My use of Evernote has ground to a halt without the ability to drag/drop PDFs, and if this feature doesn't return soon, I will be leaving the product permanently. I have a workflow I've honed over the past five years that is completely ruined, and it's slowing me down considerably at my work. If the feature will return soon, I can wait it out a bit longer. If not, I'm going to take the time to move on from Evernote to a product that will support my workflow better.

I have used and loved Evernote for 7 years. I don't want to leave the product - it's fantastic in every other way. But this is a no-go for me. I will make my stand on this feature, and if it's not coming back, I will sadly but permanently move on.

This is me begging Evernote staff to give us some answers. Please.

• Like 4

The PDF context menu issue seems to be fixed, thanks for that.  :) 

Still lobbying for drag the PDF to another app and one click open in preferred reader.  ;)

The add button is definitely green compared to the old blue.  Easy enough to spot.

Any other Easter eggs in this beta?

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

We're just seeing the New Note button on our Macs, and there are similar complaints.

I actually keep a minimal sidebar view; no lists for shortcuts or tags.  I display them only when I need them.

The New Note button works for me at the fixed location on the top of the sidebar.  I wouldn't want to be searching at the bottom of the shortcut/tag list.

It doesn't belong anywhere in the sidebar at all. Not on Mac, not on Windows. It's a misguided idea.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

So, where does the New Note button "belong"

It belongs where it has always been.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

How about a common UI across all platforms

No. Microsoft is doing this with OneNote and there is nothing worse than a mobile phone UI on a desktop, or a desktop UI on a mobile phone.

• Like 6

On 12/18/2017 at 10:37 PM, FactMan said:

Cut and paste of pdfs after showing as attachments seems to work. Double-clicking to open the file seems to need showing as attachments as well.

This doesn't work for me. I'm literally unable to get PDFs out of Evernote, because even exporting attachments does not export every attachment from the selected notes. I'm getting pretty desperate at this point. Hundreds of stranded PDFs.

:unsure:

On 12/27/2017 at 7:36 PM, CalS said:

If I've lost anything with Betas it has been time.

I'm happy to participate in beta.  But clearly not for everyone.  If you don't desperately need / want new features, just wait for regular releases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, pepr said:

_ When double clicking an image the entire note dissappears, changing to another notes does not show anything (all notes blank), wtf.

Bug reported previously, supposed to be getting fixed.

2 hours ago, lisec said:

However, more than once I was told by customer support to install the beta as a fix for whatever bug I was reporting.

The irony is that you can only get support for a  release, not a beta.  

That doesn't seem right to me. If a beta was designed to fix bug XXX then it makes sense, but Evernote betas tend to introduce 4 new features, 2 regressions, 8 bugs, and fixes for 2 bugs with each beta iteration.

3 minutes ago, EdH said:

That doesn't seem right to me. If a beta was designed to fix bug XXX then it makes sense, but Evernote betas tend to introduce 4 new features, 2 regressions, 8 bugs, and fixes for 2 bugs with each beta iteration.

Yes Indeed. I agree. And we don't seem to be going forward either. Before version 6.5.4 every beta I tested was safe. It had only one bug or none and it was safe to test. Now its getting worse with each beta, from not safe to not even usable. Someone needs to take responsibility.

24 minutes ago, lisec said:

Agreed.  I had to revert to the last General Release, and it is quite possibly as buggy as this beta.  Beta's should not be that bad, but for heaven's sake, a general release should DEFINITELY not be as buggy as 6.8 is. I seriously do not know what they are up to, but if the company I worked for put out something this bad (well, they wouldn't because I wouldn't let them), but you can bet your bottom dollar that they would have had patches out within days to fix the bugs. I mean the RELEASE is next to unusable!

This is no way to create confidence in your product.

Definitely agree. My hunch is that they hired bunch of untrained and unskilled developers to save cost and than try to figure things out as they go. And so first few betas after 6.5.4 were buggy but they managed to keep track of the bugs. As more people reported bugs they try to keep up with it,  but with no clear understanding of what they are doing or good foundation so it became like a quick sand. Each new beta and or general release since 6.5.4 brings bugs on top of bugs. This conceited with brilliant decision to change editor of Evernote, which needed change, I agree, but not with something even more restrictive and buggy.

All I can think off, is that they must be using new Evernote to keep track of all the report from the forums. Its hard to imagine how else they could be so incompetent and careless with the number of bugs and broken features. And what about product manager? They must have one. Why so irresponsible to let what is essentially pre-alpha as beta and super early beta as general release. Which ironically they managed to release with beta icon still in circulation until someone reported it. I mean you can't make this stuff up.

This is not a video game, this product is what people use for work and keep track of their lives, its not some video game that we can easily change. Please, if actual product manager, who has the authority to do something about this, is reading this, please do something about this product of yours before your development team drives people away to another platform. This is getting really embarrassing. Just read your own forums. How can you let this go on? Please, we don't want to lose Evernote and we want to help, but you guys have to meet us at least half way.

• Like 1

Plans to fix the issue described in this note where merging of notes when "Sync on Demand" is enabled can result in permenant data loss?

Cut and paste of pdfs after showing as attachments seems to work. Double-clicking to open the file seems to need showing as attachments as well.

Randomly when i click on a PDF not viewed as attachment, Avast kicks in, didn't happen prior to this beta.  Haven't determined a repeatable process as yet.  Interesting, it just happened when I clicked on the image below to edit.  Didn't happen the second time I clicked on the annotation button, FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.8b93fa630efeab8e36a34c5527a30186.png

Just now, CalS said:

Randomly when i click on a PDF not viewed as attachment, Avast kicks in, didn't happen prior to this beta.  Haven't determined a repeatable process as yet.  Interesting, it just happened when I clicked on the image below to edit.  Didn't happen the second time I clicked on the annotation button, FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.8b93fa630efeab8e36a34c5527a30186.png

hmm. thanks for reporting. If you can figure out a repeatable way to trigger, please let us know!

6 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

hmm. thanks for reporting. If you can figure out a repeatable way to trigger, please let us know!

Will do.  Any changes to the thumbnailer.exe object in this beta?  Avast is updating virus definitions daily I suppose.

Bug: When left-clicking on image in the note it will be selected and cursor changes to zoom icon. The second left-click on a image with cursor as a  zoom icon will result in the content of the note completely disappearing. The content is still reflected in  a snippet view but not in the  note window / editor. If I open the offending note in its own window, the content of the note is restored. However, if I repeat above steps in the note own window I get the same results. Changing between  different notes only displays note title, not the notes content. Restarting Evernote  will restore the notes contents. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Evernote ver. 6.9.2.6423(306423) Prelease (CE Build ce-1.36.3494).

Bug.  When clicking bulleted list after the last item has been entered the cursor goes to the first element of the list as opposed to removing the bullet and outdenting to the margin.

20171219_144330.gif.595c98e4a0ac086a94d170ee3ca97207.gif

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Bug.  When clicking bulleted list after the last item has been entered the cursor goes to the first element of the list as opposed to removing the bullet and outdenting to the margin.

20171219_144330.gif.595c98e4a0ac086a94d170ee3ca97207.gif

Thanks for the feedback, filled a new bug for this

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keisoko said:

Bug: When left-clicking on image in the note it will be selected and cursor changes to zoom icon. The second left-click on a image with cursor as a  zoom icon will result in the content of the note completely disappearing. The content is still reflected in  a snippet view but not in the  note window / editor. If I open the offending note in its own window, the content of the note is restored. However, if I repeat above steps in the note own window I get the same results. Changing between  different notes only displays note title, not the notes content. Restarting Evernote  will restore the notes contents. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Evernote ver. 6.9.2.6423(306423) Prelease (CE Build ce-1.36.3494).

The 2nd left-click for me takes me into gallery view, does that happen for you? 

8 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

No, as I said, the note content simply disappears. And it affects surrounding notes. No gallery view.

18 minutes ago, Jason Miller said:

20171219_160957.gif.b51b7c3fd41e5a4bf3d1a1a51f6b02fc.gif

51 minutes ago, loriswave said:

put the new  'New Note' button in the sidebar down and/or remove from the sidebar

We're just seeing the New Note button on our Macs, and there are similar complaints.

I actually keep a minimal sidebar view; no lists for shortcuts or tags.  I display them only when I need them.

The New Note button works for me at the fixed location on the top of the sidebar.  I wouldn't want to be searching at the bottom of the shortcut/tag list.

• Like 1