Create "parent" notes that graphically link together other notes

EvernoteUser2

Idea

Background: I have been creating overall content page "parent" notes which simply list all the related "child" notes in one place (by copying each "child" note link into this one "parent" overall content page), but sometimes it is difficult to find these "parent" notes. Today I create a link of the parent note into each "child" note so that I can traverse across the group of notes taken (i.e. during a training program).

However, it would be great to have a note linking feature where I could graphically have links to other notes from a parent note.

Asking for this because we get a lot of training content at work and because we can't have multiple levels of notebooks within notebooks (and being too structured starts to lose the benefits of Evernote's flat note structure, as notes would otherwise get lost in subfolders).

Can we have notes that are pinned to the top of Notebooks to behave as "parent notes"?

I have over 19K notes (as well as actively deleting lots of old notes to make sure Evernote stays effective)

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, EvernoteUser2 said:

it would be great to have a note linking feature where I could graphically have links to other notes from a parent note.

My preference is to link the notes using a Tag5a3467013626b_ScreenShot2017-12-15at16_20_37.png.4a47b2b9cf0e436eee050ded1a3f0569.png
It produces a dynamic list of notes instead of a static Parent Note

The screenshot shows my reading list notes, generated via a tag

I can generate a Table of Contents note from the note list5a3463ed8df55_ScreenShot2017-12-15at16_07_22.png.2a8942de6dee7d1e245c7a38f2893726.png
The screenshot is from my Mac
I can also select and drag the entire list of notes into a master note, and the links are inserted

>>Can we have notes that are pinned to the top of Notebooks to behave as "parent notes"?

Pinning notes has been requested, but it's not a feature offered by Evernote

My process is to adjust the dates, or prefix the titles so notes are sorted to the top of the list
For example, my project notes are sorted by title.  "-Overview" is always at the top

"Create Table of Contents Note" - thanks for this find.

"My process is to adjust the dates, or prefix the titles so notes are sorted to the top of the list" - I'm doing the same today. I use the date of note backward and then try and use other characters to force the order that the notes appear (i.e. if note was taken today, I would have the note title begin "20171215-1...")

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, EvernoteUser2 said:

Background: I have been creating overall content page "parent" notes which simply list all the related "child" notes in one place (by copying each "child" note link into this one "parent" overall content page), but sometimes it is difficult to find these "parent" notes. Today I create a link of the parent note into each "child" note so that I can traverse across the group of notes taken (i.e. during a training program).

In the meantime, if there are enough notes in a family you could create a tag for the family.  If enough notes in the sub-levels you could use compound tags, Family.Group1, Family.Group2, etc.  Also you could add parent to the title of the parent notes for ease of search.  Then searches like Tag:Family.* would return all notes in the family and intitle:parent would return all the parent notes.  Sorting by tag would order your notes to some extent.  Might or might not need the parent note if the tag concept works for you.  FWIW.

Archived