Trouble adding multiple horizontal rules, randomly appearing with text being added (6.8 bug?)

CraigZ

Idea

I'm not sure if this is new in 6.8, but when I am trying to create a note with mutliple horizontal rules, it isn't working well for me.

The screen shot is adding some text, creating a horizontal rule, adding some more text, and now every "horizontal rule" I try to create just creates a blank line.  I've tried highlighting the full note and setting the colour to black.  Strange.

If have nothing in the note, every other time I hit the horizontal rule button it creates a horizontal line, or a blank line.  But as soon as I start mixing in text, I can't create that second line (consistently). 

image.thumb.png.e4413b664cc26c199e34b17b645b5135.png

Copying and pasting  those top three lines (the text, horizontal line, and text) added text, blank line, text, followed by 5 horizontal rules!

image.thumb.png.fb25cada3b35407862a3c28dc506788a.png

Select all, copy, go to the end of the note, paste... the lines of text are pasted, the first line disappears, the missing line between the last two tests reappears, and the 5 extra horizontal lines are not pasted on the end (but there are blank lines there)

image.thumb.png.ead41e64aaf8ffa6dbf9d7fc4fba2149.png

If I type blank lines at the end, then the horizontal rules start randomly appearing!?

image.thumb.png.365d42626c79c73a3b15b4b101aa8001.png

27 replies to this idea

5 hours ago, vadim epstein said:

hi,

any news regarding this problem? two months have passed, windows version is 6.10+ now, still not fixed?

will downgrade for now (can't bear this anymore..), but would love to get back on up-to-date (and fixed) version

Thanks for confirming it's not fixed in 6.10 (saves me updating).  6.7.5 was the last known version to be working (for this specific bug).

(Or change your display scale to 100% or 150%)

My version is 6.11.2.7027. The same problem here. But after i changed  my display setting in Windows. It seems it's being resolved. 

Setting- System-Display:

-Scale and Layout: 150% (Recommended) ( used to be 125%, after change, everything is bigger. so far trying to get used to it. Don't know if 100% works. But that's a little small. still feel 125% is the perfect size)

-Resolution: 1920x1080 (Recommended). 

Hope it helps.

Posted on another thread a little while ago and it still hasn't been fixed. Tried the DPI settings mentioned above and it didn't change the bug, some horizontal lines show up while others do not.

Win 7, EN build 6.11.2.7027 (307027)

On 1/24/2018 at 2:37 PM, Jay-Bob said:

Got it, thank you for your display settings. I can reproduce this on my end now as well. I've filed a report with our development team and they'll take a closer look.

Can you ensure the internal report reflects that some users are experiencing this on Windows 7 as well (as mentioned in this and other threads)

On 4/30/2018 at 7:16 PM, tavor said:

I'm on 6.11GA, Win 7. Can confirm horizontal rule has been buggy for at least a few GA's.

Multiple threads on this at this point, so this is clearly not an isolated incident.

• Level 5*
On 3/27/2018 at 12:40 PM, CraigZ said:

This setting?  (haven't tried it yet, still like the old PDF display approach)

image.png.34cd080748221432b931bc60485b2b67.png.fa89e70d32de2b54e59b190af338938c.png

Tried this on Win 7, but no luck. Horizontal lines remain a mess.

4 hours ago, KrisGal said:

This seems to work for me on Windows 10... although notes that was created before I fixed this does not update. I can add new rules in these notes, and it works fine.

That seems strange to me, not that I've tested it, as I thought it was just a rendering issue (hence why DPI scaling is the fix).  So long as the old notes didn't have the lines erased by you un-intentionally deleting them (because you couldn't see them), I wouldn't have expected them to disappear.

18 hours ago, CraigZ said:

image.png.34cd080748221432b931bc60485b2b67.png.fa89e70d32de2b54e59b190af338938c.png

This seems to work for me on Windows 10... although notes that was created before I fixed this does not update. I can add new rules in these notes, and it works fine.

20 hours ago, ChrisRDyer said:

Thanks for posting a solution!  It seems I do not have this option and this issue is continuing to happen for me!

On 3/25/2018 at 6:28 AM, ian_marson said:

I found a workaround, I have to have my display setting at 125% otherwise everything is too small for me to focus on. If set at that I have problems with the ruled lines. I solved it by doing the following:

1. Right click the Evernote icon on your desktop (not a shortcut).
  2. Select properties then Compatibility tab.
  3. Check the box "Overide High Scaling DPI behavior".
  4. In the drop down under "Scaling performed by" select System.

Quit Evernote, make sure it has fully exited (or restart your computer)

Open Evernote and the rules should now be working OK

Thanks for posting a solution!  It seems I do not have this option and this issue is continuing to happen for me!

image.png.34cd080748221432b931bc60485b2b67.png

I found a workaround, I have to have my display setting at 125% otherwise everything is too small for me to focus on. If set at that I have problems with the ruled lines. I solved it by doing the following:

1. Right click the Evernote icon on your desktop (not a shortcut).
  2. Select properties then Compatibility tab.
  3. Check the box "Overide High Scaling DPI behavior".
  4. In the drop down under "Scaling performed by" select System.

Quit Evernote, make sure it has fully exited (or restart your computer)

Open Evernote and the rules should now be working OK

20 hours ago, CraigZ said:

Thanks for confirming it's not fixed in 6.10 (saves me updating).  6.7.5 was the last known version to be working (for this specific bug).

(Or change your display scale to 100% or 150%)

btw changing display scale didn't work on my side; changing font scale in the evernote itself helped though.
anyway, not a solution, stuck to 6.5.4 at the moment (loved it for absence of margins).

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, vadim epstein said:

any news regarding this problem? two months have passed, windows version is 6.10+ now, still not fixed?

Yeah, I can confirm this is still not fixed in 6.10 GA.

On 1/24/2018 at 10:37 PM, Jay-Bob said:

Got it, thank you for your display settings. I can reproduce this on my end now as well. I've filed a report with our development team and they'll take a closer look.

hi,

will downgrade for now (can't bear this anymore..), but would love to get back on up-to-date (and fixed) version

Yes, PLEASE fix this. It's hurting my productivity. Also: People (lots of coll. and clients, etc.) see me using EverNote on beamers all the time in meetings, and everybody is getting such a bad impression of EverNote. I think they won't consider EverNote for years after seeing my note getting messed up.

Hello I'm a premium user using the latest build (306729) and experiencing the same issue here as very well described in post#1, how about a fix in once in a while? I didn't chime in since I was sure it would be fixed together with the font size bug (which got fixed indeed) but the horizontal lines (aka horizontal rulers) are still broken. C'mon Evernote, get this fixed!

On 24/1/2018 at 7:16 PM, Arnaud68 said:

Yes indeed...

I've got an laptop with a screen resolution of 1920x1080.

The problem appears only with the recommended display settings of 125% but everything's fine when the display settings are set on 100% (far too small for my old eyes...) or 150 % (OK, I'm not THAT old ;-)).

Going to 150% on the laptop screen fixed for me as well - even when attaching extra monitors, where the setting was not changed.

On 1/24/2018 at 2:37 PM, Jay-Bob said:

Sorry I didn't respond, somehow I wasn't subscribed to my own request.  Glad you tracked down the cause and logged it (currently reverted to a previous version)

Yes indeed...

I've got an laptop with a screen resolution of 1920x1080.

The problem appears only with the recommended display settings of 125% but everything's fine when the display settings are set on 100% (far too small for my old eyes...) or 150 % (OK, I'm not THAT old ;-)).

Meanwhile, I go back to Evernote 6.7 (= the version downloadable via the Microsoft Store).

Thanks for the suggestion anyway,

• Ex Employees

What are your display settings in: 

Windows menu > Settings > System > Display

for "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" and "Resolution"?

Does changing the values to or from the "Recommended" settings help work around the issue?

I am also having problems of random notes having problems showing rules, when added. Even in cases where the note previously had rules, some appear and some don't (in the same note), and the bigger concern is that if I try to add them (in a new place, or where they are "missing" but were there before), they are NOT added.

Yet then in other notes, they are added no problem.

I can say it's since the latest 6.8 GA update (and I am on the latest available now, 6.8.7.6387). Rules are critical to me, as I use them to separate each day's notes in a note I keep for each client I work for, so I would have noticed if this was a problem in the prior release (I don't know readily what I had before).

Since it happens in some notes and not others, I suspect it's a problem related to other content in the note, but I have not been able to discern what the deciding factor is. I could provide sample notes to EN folks who may want to try to replicate or debug this (assuming that on exporting and then re-importing them, the problem would remain. I have not tried that yet.)

Just wanted to share another note of support for the problem Craig reported above.

• Level 5*

Seems to be working for me, cursory check anyway.....  With either pressing the rule icon or using the shortcut of <Shift><Ctrl><->.  Have you tried a File - Exit to see if that clears is up?

20171214_105549.gif.5c16e65fe81054c27630c7275cbc346c.gif

Archived