Evernote for Windows 6.8 GA

Chantal Leonard

Idea

[Update 12/13: we've updated the GA build to address an issue with the app icon. We've updated the link in the post below.]

Hi folks - 

We're excited to announce Windows 6.8 GA. You can install it here or by checking for updates. This will be available in the Windows Store after we roll out via the Web.  Fixes for the GA include:

• A fix for an issue where a new note would sometimes open in a minimized state
  • Two fixes for intermittent crashes in the editor 

Feedback welcome on what you'd like to see improved in 6.9. Be on the lookout for our Beta 1 which is just around the corner! 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team.

---------------------------------------

Release Notes for Windows version 6.8

Note: Version 6.8 is supported in OS versions Windows 7 and up.

Improved

We've made a number of changes to how a note is displayed. Some of the key changes include:

• Better Print results for notes including highlighting, italics and underline and the ability to print to PDF
  • Updated the inline PDF preview experience with easier access to key commands including print and download
  • If you have a touch monitor, you can now pan notes with the swipe of a finger
  • More quickly start a bulleted list using a hyphen. In addition to using the still supported '*'+space shortcut, you can now also use '-'+space shortcut

Fixed

This release has many bug fixes. Some notable fixes include

• A fix where tables clipped from Microsoft Word or Outlook did not appear correctly in Evernote
  • A fix where additional lines are pasted when pasting a line of text from Evernote to other applications
  • A fix for no longer dropping the check box and end line on copy/paste of a to-do item
  • A fix where some reminders are not synced after clicking the sync button
  • A fix to ensure the app if downloaded from the Windows Store respects the Options>Start on Windows Logon option
  • A fix so that selecting the 'New Note' button when in the Business tab with no notebook selected, no longer creates a note in Personal

I am having HUGE problems after the update.

A note I was reviewing, changed it content to a note I was looking at previously. This happened 3 times now. 

Another issue I had was, a note I was reviewing that had two PDFs in it, removed both PDFs automatically. I had to restore a previous version. I did not hit DELETE or anything accidentally.

I am regretting the update at this time.

• Level 5*
On 12/18/2017 at 9:04 PM, cisco10 said:

Unless I'm missing something big, it's unclear to me what is better about the new PDF viewer. It seems to be inferior to the previous viewer and is very odd having a browser-style PDF viewer embedded in the note view. How would we go about requesting a change back to the previous viewer?

I don't hate the new PDF view, but I don't think it is an improvement. 

It is, IMHO, another example, of Evernote fixing things that aren't broken and no one was asking for instead of fixing things that are broken.

1 hour ago, EdH said:

It is, IMHO, another example, of Evernote fixing things that aren't broken and no one was asking for instead of fixing things that are broken.

Well said. I don't understand the Evernote insistence on doing that when on top of all that they have willing users feedback in forums such as this. All they need to do is give people what they want and the company prospers. Why would they insist on giving users what they never asked for and break what worked while at the same time not fixing what everyone asks for. Makes zero sense.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

# 1 Subscription rates were raised on the grounds of financing improvements. Now, if you don't consider that 15 - 18 months is time enough for a team of good programmers to redevelop an editor then I do not know what planet you live on. 

Indeed, you may be unfamiliar with the planet that I live on. That planet, in my working life as a software developer, is called Planet Real World. In my world, we're generally not allowed to go off in a corner to design and develop a brand new important component while ignoring our existing deployed software that's still using the old one; we need to support our current users at the same time as we're developing the new stuff. Anyhow, once upon a time on my planet, I was part of a team that developed a and shipped word processor for DOS; most of team was still in school and it was our first C project. It was hard, and we were definitely unseasoned, and our word processor was ultimately subsumed by Word, and all in all, I'd definitely go about that a lot differently 30+ years later on. Point being that I am a full-time, experienced software developer who has some actual experience of what building an editor from scratch entails. Even so, I can only guess at what's going on under the hood in the Evernote development world, for the simple reason that generally, if you're not the people actually doing something, then you don't know how hard or easy it really is. But hey, to give you the benefit of doubt, maybe you've developed an editor before. Have you?

The fact of the matter, though, is that they already developed and deployed the new common editor. It's obviously not perfect, but now the game is to improve it (e.g. new tables) while fixing bugs that exist (pasting,, etc.). I'm not sure why your earlier suggestion was to drop the new common editor and start up an entirely new editor project ("If Evernote got round to exporting (aka saving) to the word format,dissatisfaction with the status of the editor might ease, thus giving Evernote the chance to radically redesign the built-in editor"). It should be clear now what the hazards are, at least here in Planet Real World. In any case, I believe that they'd consider that to be an improvement in terms of a way forward from the untenable approach of supporting four or more separate platform-specific editors.

The real puzzle to me is why someone would continue to use a product when they hold such disdain towards the company that makes it. Those folks must indeed live on a different planet than me...

Wow! This has been the worst update I've ever done! Editor is horrible and it keeps deleting stuff. I just lost 5 or so PNGs within a note when I inserted a Google Drive link.

This is really disappointing as I use Evernote daily all day long and I have a really good system of how I keep track of certain items which includes pasted screenshots. But I keep losing stuff within the note.

How can I go back a version? Please help.

The new PDF viewer did not bring any value to me at all. I did not print anything from Evernote anyway, if I need to, I opened the PDF in a PDF software anyway. 

@Jefito

you, as a programmer, may have become aware that in the autumn of 2011 Adobe first mentioned their plans  over what became known as the Creative Cloud.  CC actually kicked off during  the first half of 2013.  With Photoshop and Lightroom , then for the first time ever, Mac and Win versions were identical. In the years since, all of that company's product range has gone Cloud. I remember how Adobe programmers described those 18 months of redevelopment as tough at it can get, but in the end very proud to keep the dateline and at the same deliver two products which even early adopters did not run away from. Not only did that company launch new products but also integrated all other products in the CC with remarkable success.

Tables is still a problem with Evernote and this is simply ridiculous. Even the free Google note or whatever  its name  is seems miles ahead to the current editor  in Evernote. 

In design and production of tools and accessories, machinery, whatever,  there are often standards to which manufacturers have to adhere to. If standards or requirements change , new materials etc make their way into design, testing and production. So, please do not try and sell me the word compliance to before and ever after.  The administrative tools within companies are updated or completely replaced all the time. Hardly ever to the joy of the staff whose working environments consequently undergo changes all the time.  The only way to cope with the multitude of software, materials, standards and regulations is to go for modular concepts.

Evernote is stuck in a singular concept which has proven inadequate to expand to the degree that 90 % of users care and ask for. The product  that Adobe offers for administration,  development and improvement of photos is Lightroom. One thing everybody is that photographs, especially in RAW format from the latest cameras easily go to the 30 MB size and beyond per one shot . But only are original photos supported but pictures worked on in Photoshop etc can find their way into the LR catalogue.  Size limit of 200 MB per file would have killed that software long ago.

Jefito, you are telling me and others things which dear old granny may swallow, but not the likes of me. Evernote is an editor plus administrator of a limited range of files. Storage in the cloud was not invented by Evernote and having made the move Google servers should have freed labour force. 

I am not even mentioning better search, more stylish appearance, simplified backup and recovery, improved files on demand, decent support by staff resp. handbook. 

OneNote is part of  the M$ Office suite. Everybody can look up prices at the Microsoft store for the subscription version named Office 365. In my part of the world, nobody in the know is paying those 'apothecary' prices any more because as with other software, Amazon and other legit M$ outlets sell 1year licences  at bargain prices, not all the time, but regularly.  For my 'family' licence  acquired at 25 % less than one Evernote Premium year, I have 5 TB cloud storage and support for more machines than I could ever afford. 

So, go on dreaming but please leave me alone.  I was still speaking up, because for a fact my latest payment will see me into July this year. If I had known at the time how things would go I would have cancelled and never shown up here again. For free I am prepared to accept what's on offer. Nevertheless, I am out of the game. 

Bye

@Krunoslav was reading back a bit through this thread. You may want to experiment with Nimbus Note; it can import the ENEX export files from Evernote. Editor has a bit more functionality than Evernote. Windows version feels a bit old and doesn't have search feature parity with their web search but it works pretty well. 

Like you I also remain in Evernote because I already have so many notes here; knowing I can export to a tool like it is a comforting thought. But I also keep on using Evernote because it 1) has proven to be a long-term worth company that will likely be around for another long time, 2) depending on what/how you use it is very good at what it does. In my case Evernote contains "my life" with thousands of entries of people I met, things I did, etc. I rarely have a problem finding something back and over the years it has proven to be so useful that often family members will ask me to look up something, knowing I most likely have it in my database :)

The weirdness of the current editor is a bit annoying. Less annoying than the long type ahead search problems we had a couple of years ago but still annoying. Then again, you've probably noticed in your software travels that there's always something annoying or missing. 

1 minute ago, ruudhein said:

@Krunoslav was reading back a bit through this thread. You may want to experiment with Nimbus Note; it can import the ENEX export files from Evernote. Editor has a bit more functionality than Evernote. Windows version feels a bit old and doesn't have search feature parity with their web search but it works pretty well. 

Like you I also remain in Evernote because I already have so many notes here; knowing I can export to a tool like it is a comforting thought. But I also keep on using Evernote because it 1) has proven to be a long-term worth company that will likely be around for another long time, 2) depending on what/how you use it is very good at what it does. In my case Evernote contains "my life" with thousands of entries of people I met, things I did, etc. I rarely have a problem finding something back and over the years it has proven to be so useful that often family members will ask me to look up something, knowing I most likely have it in my database :)

The weirdness of the current editor is a bit annoying. Less annoying than the long type ahead search problems we had a couple of years ago but still annoying. Then again, you've probably noticed in your software travels that there's always something annoying or missing. 

I have heard about Nimbus Screenshot Shot tool and used it in web browser in the past, but I was not really aware of the Nimbus Note. Sounds interesting, promising even. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I appreciate it. :)

I agree with what you said but I have my doubts about of Evernote being around for a long time. They certainly don't seem to be acting like it. And far mightier and better managed companies have failed than Evernote. So far they seem to be getting by on old fame and lack of strong competition, but I don't see any innovation, or even maintenance, I see raise in price for no return on value for the users, I see restrictions that are there because of old foundation on software that is no longer adequate solution for both users and competitive company. I have serious doubts if Evernote services next few years. If something like Nimbus note or some other software decided to up their game, and offer good migration options of notes from Evernote, I don't see how Evernote can survive for long with their atrocious development team and lack of compelling innovation. There is also a really bad sign when evenote marketing team sends me emails and tells fairy tales of productivity and evernote development team can't make a an update without breaking half the program. I don't know who is in charge of the teams but that is really confusing and conflicting message they are sending to their user base.

Anyway, thank you for the Nimbus Note heads up. I will be sure to check it out in the near future and see if its a viable alternative. I truly hope it is.

Happy New Year. :)

The Nimbus Clipper that goes with NImbus Note is a pleasure to use. Much more powerful, or flexible, than Evernote's. You can select sections of the page, remove sections, etc.

It works good on my smaller database; on a large 20GB database with a lot of file attachments it can be very slow. As with Evernote this is an up for grabs kind of thing; some large databases work fast, some don't, and God knows why.

Although I too often feel like "but this is basic stuff, how come this isn't working?!", the lack of viable alternatives gives you an idea of how hard this actually can be. Nimbus Note is the closest I've found in years of looking. It's a company that pivoted its original product, small team, and like Evernote you have a situation where client X does AB, client Y does BC, etc. OneNote, Google Keep, these aren't alternatives to Evernote, just to general note taking. 

If you're into looking into other things, Joplin is something too but much smaller in scope. It too can import ENEX files, converts them to Markdown. Sync via OneDrive as plain text files.

18 minutes ago, ruudhein said:

The Nimbus Clipper that goes with NImbus Note is a pleasure to use. Much more powerful, or flexible, than Evernote's. You can select sections of the page, remove sections, etc.

It works good on my smaller database; on a large 20GB database with a lot of file attachments it can be very slow. As with Evernote this is an up for grabs kind of thing; some large databases work fast, some don't, and God knows why.

Although I too often feel like "but this is basic stuff, how come this isn't working?!", the lack of viable alternatives gives you an idea of how hard this actually can be. Nimbus Note is the closest I've found in years of looking. It's a company that pivoted its original product, small team, and like Evernote you have a situation where client X does AB, client Y does BC, etc. OneNote, Google Keep, these aren't alternatives to Evernote, just to general note taking. 

If you're into looking into other things, Joplin is something too but much smaller in scope. It too can import ENEX files, converts them to Markdown. Sync via OneDrive as plain text files.

Thank you for that info. Appreciate it.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

So, go on dreaming but please leave me alone.

You replied to me and expressed some doubt as to what planet I was from. I specified the planet, and how it works. If you want me to leave you alone, then don't reply to me. *shrug*

12 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

OneNote is part of  the M$ Office suite.

If OneNote works for you, then you should use it. It doesn't work for everyone. Microsoft makes some fine products -- I use their developer tools a lot, but OneNote doesn't work well for me. Vive la difference!

12 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

I was still speaking up, because for a fact my latest payment will see me into July this year. If I had known at the time how things would go I would have cancelled and never shown up here again.

Have you tried asking for a refund? Looks like their policy is not to do it, but it might be worth asking anyways, particularly if you are so dissatisfied with the product. If you're not in America (I think you're not, right?), it might not be legal for them to not offer refunds. Anyways: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005949208-How-to-cancel-your-Evernote-subscription

On 12/11/2017 at 9:57 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Improved

We've made a number of changes to how a note is displayed. Some of the key changes include:

• Better Print results for notes including highlighting, italics and underline and the ability to print to PDF
  • Updated the inline PDF preview experience with easier access to key commands including print and download

I've been an Evernote user since 2008 and have seen many changes for better or worse.  Until now, I've been able to work around it or adapt.

The word Improved is an opinion for the person using it and should not be assumed for everyone else by making those changes mandatory for them.  That mentality is much of what's wrong with this world today.  Now we need the option of turning those items off as this is not an improvement for our team at all and in fact is now quickly causing problems.

Evernote Business (which we pay a lot of money for) has been the biggest platform our company uses for keeping up with hundreds of orders and tens of thousands PDF files for purchase orders, vendor acknowledgments and order tracking.  Additionally, all the AR & AP statements, remittances, invoices, etc...  My point is, we used the PDF & merge feature heavily all the time.  We had it working for us so well using desktop scanners, being able to quickly drag PDF from EN to other applications.

Please give us a patch that will let us choose to use these quoted features or not.

This is the worst update I've had since several months ago! Then Evernote introduced some changes that make non-formatted text appear in different font sizes within a single note (still not fixed!). Now it's even worse! The cursor goes haywire and I've already lost some data because of it! Attaching photos is broken too. Drag&dropping or using the 'Attach' button makes the note text become randomly mixed with the attached images!

Do you even realize you fail to implement a freaking input field?! Dig around on github. There are probably free code snippets you could use instead of your current sorry implementation.

irfan_20180102_233526.jpg

• Level 5*
On 1/1/2018 at 11:54 AM, ruudhein said:

Thank you - looks like something that Evernote should be VERY concerned about! I am not yet ready to make the switch, but this is an app to keep an eye on.

17 hours ago, FactMan said:

Thank you - looks like something that Evernote should be VERY concerned about! I am not yet ready to make the switch, but this is an app to keep an eye on.

I just tested Android Nimbus Note for half an hour and I can already confirm this!

Nimbus is indeed a much bigger competitor than OneNote because it looks and feels very similar like evernote++ 

It looks like they really listen to evernote's customers:

unlimited folder hierarchies combined with tags, whatever you prefer.

night-reading provided (dark theme) !

automatic or manual ordering of the note list

Max note size 1 GByte (premium)

So far I'm really impressed and will evaluate it further.  I will not switch immediately but it's good to know that there is a real alternative now in case Evernote keeps struggling with stability problems...

Edit: My first experience with Nimbus for Windows:

It looks promising, but the Nimbus developers went to far by not only copying evernote's features, but also some bugs like drag and drop problems in tables and even a complete crash . I'm also not sure that the search functionality works properly...

I'll keep en eye on their progress next months...

Search on the Windows client has no feature parity with the web or even Android, I found. Boolean searches aren't a Windows thing, text in file neither. On the web things work better.

That said, I'm a very happy user, string much work related reference material in there.

The Android client has a nice feature since recent where it will only download note content as needed. You can set it to download everything though.

At first I thought this was a company that's too young but Nimbus Note has been around since a couple of years, in different versions.

By the way, if you import an ENEX in the Windows client a popup will prompt you to email them for a free premium month.

• Level 5*
On 2018-01-01 at 8:16 AM, ruudhein said:

You may want to experiment with Nimbus Note;

On 2018-01-01 at 8:54 AM, ruudhein said:

The Nimbus Clipper that goes with NImbus Note is a pleasure to use.

2 hours ago, eric99 said:

I just tested Android Nimbus Note for half an hour

39 minutes ago, ruudhein said:

Search on the Windows client has no feature parity with

The topic of this discussion is   Evernote for Windows 6.8 GA

You should be opening a new discussion, and posting in the third-party or off-topic forums

I'd like to join the discussion, but not here

42 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You should be opening a new discussion, and posting in the third-party or off-topic forums

True, true. The conversation just followed a natural pattern that lead in this direction. Happens.

For me no need to open another topic.

thanks for the heads-up ;)

2 hours ago, ruudhein said:

At first I thought this was a company that's too young but Nimbus Note has been around since a couple of years, in different versions.

Yes, I thought that as well... so this proves again that writing a mature editor is not that simple as some people expect on this forum (probably a manager  or something? )

I went back to the previous version. I hope they will give us an option as to how we want to see our PDFs within the notes. I like the old style better for sure, it is more natural within the note. The new PDF look felt like it was not part of the note, it was not fluid for me.

PS! Interesting discussion about Nimbus Note. I had not heard about it before, looking at their website, it does look like a nice option. Evernote has all my digital life in it at this time so a change is obviously nothing I am considering now. But it seems like everybody seems to want better features and updates from the team. I would agree with that.

17 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'd like to join the discussion, but not here

Normally I would agree with you. I mean as a general principle, sticking to the topic. However , many of these new topics go unresponded, Certainly not from Evernote even when people are posting in them. Pretty soon the forums is filling up with this dead ends. I wish it was not so. Since there is no response from the Evernote team or anyone in charge of disastrous updates we are getting from Evernote lately, and not all are betas, at least not officially... maybe they can read between the lines. The reason this Nimbus business came up, is because people want more than anything for Evernote to work, at least as it used to if not better, and are looking for alternatives. People are not satisfied and there needs to be some valid and meaningful response from Evernote. If they care at all. I mean there should be a legitimate Evernote representative with authority apologizing and compensating with some useful information for the bugs they introduced. All I hear instead is crickets and resident Evernote apologists. I said my piece. I won't engage in anymore Nimbus topics on this threat. If new one is opened, we can continue there. I agree.

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, randial said:

TK- How did you go back to another version?  Do they have a download for it?

The post for each release (including this one) starts out with a link to download the software.  I would look for the release post of the version you're  interested in

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, TK0047 said:

I went back to the previous version. I hope they will give us an option as to how we want to see our PDFs within the notes. I like the old style better for sure, it is more natural within the note. The new PDF look felt like it was not part of the note, it was not fluid for me.

Well put.

On 12/28/2017 at 7:49 AM, TK0047 said:

Since the update, every time I insert a logo, JPG file into my notes, (ALT F + F which is attach files) it does not insert it where my cursor is.

I use this option a lot in my notes and it is frustrating at this time. Not to mention the delay before I can edit the note. It almost freezes for 2 minutes before I see the icon I inserted.

I don't know how I feel about the new PDF interface, I was happy with how a PDF looked within the note. It felt like it was part of the note and now it kind of feels like a separate entity. Obviously I'll know more as I use it more.

We have had some fixes with  cursor position in 6.9 beta 1+ not sure on the time frame for the GA of 6.9 

On 1/4/2018 at 3:26 PM, WilburWoolley said:

I haven't had time to read all of the posts here, so I apologize if this has been covered.  After upgrading to 6.8.7 I have lost a lot of my Rule Lines, and when trying to add new ones they don't appear either.

I am assuming you mean the horizontal rule - what happens when you try and create a new HR (nothing?) and are you using the toolbar, or the magic shortcut, like if you type ===<space or enter>

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

I am assuming you mean the horizontal rule - what happens when you try and create a new HR (nothing?) and are you using the toolbar, or the magic shortcut, like if you type ===<space or enter>

If the OP means horizontal rules, check the zoom on the note - at different screen resolutions the rule can seem to disappear. The rule is there when I print.

This update has the most bugs of any I have used in the last 9 years. I've always found ways to work around the bugs before, but this has me beaten. The pdf viewer looks nice, but has brought so many problems. Attachments disappear, copy and paste does not always work, notes get corrupted. There may be a security issue because the pdf viewer will run any javascript  embedded in the pdf. The windows app was always buggy, but there seems to have been a rapid growth in bugs over the last few releases. Evernote has now become an anti-productivity tool for me. It is the most expensive software I use and the least reliable...

On 04/01/2018 at 10:26 PM, WilburWoolley said:

I haven't had time to read all of the posts here, so I apologize if this has been covered.  After upgrading to 6.8.7 I have lost a lot of my Rule Lines, and when trying to add new ones they don't appear either.

Since 6.8 I often can't add a horizontal rule by "---" or Ctrl+Shift+-. I have to click on the horizontal rule icon.

Also the dictionary doesn't retains the words added. Even when I manually edit the user.dic file.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Némo Nobody said:

Since 6.8 I often can't add a horizontal rule by "---" or Ctrl+Shift+-. I have to click on the horizontal rule icon.

Try a File - Exit the next time this happens to see if it brings the function back.

7 hours ago, Némo Nobody said:

Also the dictionary doesn't retains the words added. Even when I manually edit the user.dic file.

Is this still happening for you?  I had to downgrade to the GA release for testing (using I'm running bleeding edge) and the type behind command for HR was working for me - so wondering if I am missing some other detail / step (I am running on Windows 10)

On 09/01/2018 at 8:18 PM, Jason Miller said:

Is this still happening for you?  I had to downgrade to the GA release for testing (using I'm running bleeding edge) and the type behind command for HR was working for me - so wondering if I am missing some other detail / step (I am running on Windows 10)

Two gif of the two problems I encounter with horizontal rules since 6.8:

• sometimes (I think only when font size is higher than 12) I can't add a rule by typing "---" + Enter or by the hotkey Ctrl+Shift+-;
  • the blinking text cursor of the horizontal rule is practically at the same level as the line below the rule, so when I want to add a line break after a horizontal rule the line break is often above the rule

CropperCapture[3].Gif

CropperCapture[6].Gif

On 12/25/2017 at 2:28 AM, Krunoslav said:

I hate to be cynical here, but it seems that if you read these forums or try the so called GA releases, they are just betas released to general public. The bugs are either still there, or new ones are introduced that break things that used to work etc. I don't find that funny. I'm still using old version of Evernote 6.5.4. and carefully reading forums here, but it does not seems I am safe to upgrade anytime soon.... its really bad. GA might mean General Availability, but it does not mean safe for work. At least when it comes to Evernote team.

Same here, ever since paste as text was broken, I've had to roll back to version 6.4.2.3788 Public, in my experience this was the latest most stable version for me - I absolutely refuse to upgrade until I see a post about a release where all the forum replies aren't about bugs. I'm terrified of losing data or having it corrupted. With as many notes as I have (3k worth), I might not even notice it until it was too late. As it is, I write down the number of notes total and periodically make sure it hasn't gone down. Though if the data inside of a note gets corrupted, I'm SOL. Wish we had a way to also see the total "character count" of all notes as well.

For everyone who has been with Evernote for years: PLEASE NO NEW FEATURES, JUST FIX THE BUGS.

On 1/11/2018 at 4:13 AM, Némo Nobody said:

Two gif of the two problems I encounter with horizontal rules since 6.8:

• sometimes (I think only when font size is higher than 12) I can't add a rule by typing "---" + Enter or by the hotkey Ctrl+Shift+-;
  • the blinking text cursor of the horizontal rule is practically at the same level as the line below the rule, so when I want to add a line break after a horizontal rule the line break is often above the rule

CropperCapture[3].Gif

CropperCapture[6].Gif

Good news - the first issue is fixed, the 2nd issue is a bug with the cursor being "caught" in the span that includes the HR - if you can get out of that span, the enter key will work fine (so if there is more spaces in the note you can hit arrow (key) down and it will break out of the HR)

Another two random bugs:

• when I select a note, place the cursor within it and hit Enter there is no line break but the note is deselect and displayed as modified (blue arrow icon); 
  • when I search for words in my notes, the words are often not highlighted + I always have to scroll through the note until I reach the word (so the focus is not directy on the highlighted words).
2 hours ago, Némo Nobody said:

Another two random bugs:

• when I select a note, place the cursor within it and hit Enter there is no line break but the note is deselect and displayed as modified (blue arrow icon); 
  • when I search for words in my notes, the words are often not highlighted + I always have to scroll through the note until I reach the word (so the focus is not directy on the highlighted words).

Probably similar to this:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/110626-evernote-for-windows-68-ga/?do=findComment&comment=488234

Upgraded from 5.X (?) to this version some day ago.

I have the same issue with the line breaks.

Even more annoying: some notes are randomly replaced with the contents of other notes... At first I thought I had accidentally done something wrong (like copy-pasting the content or something), but I have already seen three different notes for which it has happened now. I had to upgrade Evernote premium in order to restore these notes, the other plans doesn't allow you to see the note history... I'll probably be stuck on this plan for a long time as I have no idea how many of my notes were corrupted... So not only is this a annoying bug, it's also costing me money :wacko:. Extremely disappointed.

I've stopped using the current version now, losing data is simply not acceptable. I'll switch to an older version for a while, while I think about what to do going forward...

12 hours ago, Jay_G said:

Upgraded from 5.X (?) to this version some day ago.

I have the same issue with the line breaks.

Even more annoying: some notes are randomly replaced with the contents of other notes... At first I thought I had accidentally done something wrong (like copy-pasting the content or something), but I have already seen three different notes for which it has happened now. I had to upgrade Evernote premium in order to restore these notes, the other plans doesn't allow you to see the note history... I'll probably be stuck on this plan for a long time as I have no idea how many of my notes were corrupted... So not only is this a annoying bug, it's also costing me money :wacko:. Extremely disappointed.

I've stopped using the current version now, losing data is simply not acceptable. I'll switch to an older version for a while, while I think about what to do going forward...

This is the first time I regretted an upgrade and had to go back a version in one of my computers. I just used the new version on this computer and it is horrible. Super slow, it took 5 minutes to unfreeze at one point. I was getting the windows blue circle and it was non-responsive. I will have to downgrade this computer as well. 

I also had problems with PDFs and images disappearing from the notes which is very scary, annoying and disappointing. 

We need a fix right away.

On 1/4/2018 at 9:01 AM, TK0047 said:

Yes, filehippo.com 

I think you can also find the previous versions *.exe install file in the .. ../AutoUpdate/DIR for windows
My previous updates are collected there. Looks like EN installs updates from there and keeps them

I use a custom DIR for this, I think usual Location is one of these two.

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\LocalLow\Evernote\
C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Evernote\

On 1/1/2018 at 10:16 AM, ruudhein said:

Thanks for this post. I was looking around for some other stuff re: EN v6.8.xxx issues and found this. Bravo. EN is also my go to vault for anything I need to note, store, save, get from my laptop, phone, etc. It is one of the top 4 apps I use on my desktop, i.e., (1) File Manager (no one should be without a very powerful one of these), (2) email client, (3) browser, (4) EN. EN is the bloodline of keeping lots of information in one place for me. I have always worried that more thousands of notes in EN would hold me hostage, and now I can rest easy, there is something that will import *.ENEX .. Yahoo. I will continue to use EN, just because I have so much information collected over 5 years with it. But, I will now sleep easier. Nimbus even shows the exact layout is use for EN. I always thought it was EN or One Note.

On 1/1/2018 at 10:16 AM, ruudhein said:

@KrunoslavYou may want to experiment with Nimbus Note; it can import the ENEX export files from Evernote. Editor has a bit more functionality than Evernote.

They have a little way to go yet, but I'm sure they'll get there. Import seems reliable. Very nice, though..

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, RgaDawg said:

They have a little way to go yet, but I'm sure they'll get there. Import seems reliable. Very nice, though..

If you wish to keep discussing Nimbus Note, this is probably not the topic to do so. There's a related discussion elsewhere in the forums: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/110706-im-really-leaving-evernote/, but even so, Evernote may not take too kindly to detailed discussions about how to use a competing product in their forums (we ran into that about the time that Evernote raised their prices and there was a lot of hullabaloo about moving to OneNote, and discussion thereon; the Evernote folks stepped in at that point), so something to keep in mind.

18 hours ago, RgaDawg said:

I use a custom DIR for this, I think usual Location is one of these two.

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\LocalLow\Evernote\
C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Evernote\

The usual location is c:\users\[user]\Evernote

It was moved from Local because if you install the WinStore version, very bad things will happen (because of Store apps file system virtualization - and cleanup)

I have a lot of PDFs; Upgraded to the new version (6.8.7.6387) and now some pdfs seem to be recognized as pdfs, and some not. specifically the right mouse click shows a list of programs to open the pdf, as well as annotate pdf; Other pdfs the right mouse click doesnt have this, and clicking "open with" "choose program" does nothing... 

Was any qa done on this release? 

On 12/12/2017 at 3:52 PM, Austin G said:

Hi. Thanks for the additional info. This issue appears to be isolated to PDFs that contain a period (.) in the title. This is scheduled to be fixed in an upcoming release. Thanks again for the report. 

The GA is out on 24-Jan-2018 A.D.  and the bug is still there.. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jimNH said:

I have a lot of PDFs; Upgraded to the new version (6.8.7.6387) and now some pdfs seem to be recognized as pdfs, and some not. specifically the right mouse click shows a list of programs to open the pdf, as well as annotate pdf; Other pdfs the right mouse click doesnt have this, and clicking "open with" "choose program" does nothing... 

Was any qa done on this release? 

If I remember correctly this has to do with PDFs with periods in their titles, the context menu does not work for them.  This is fixed in the current beta.

23 minutes ago, CalS said:

If I remember correctly this has to do with PDFs with periods in their titles, the context menu does not work for them.  This is fixed in the current beta.

CalS Tks;  For me I found changing the title wasnt adequate; I had to change the filename of the pdf by downloading it (since right click save as doesnt work on these files either..) and then reimporting it into evernote..

I'll look at the 6.9 beta but I'm also looking at Nimbus. EN has gone tone deaf.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jimNH said:

The GA is out on 24-Jan-2018 A.D.  and the bug is still there.. 

The GA is not out on 1/24/18. A new 6.9 beta (beta 2) *is* out on that date, however.

7 hours ago, jefito said:

.. Evernote may not take too kindly to detailed discussions about how to use a competing product in their forums ..

Noted, didn't think of that. I do consider EN to be leaps and bounds ahead of the other product. The other product has a ways to go to be any kind of a replacement.

On 1/4/2018 at 12:11 PM, Jason Miller said:

We have had some fixes with  cursor position in 6.9 beta 1+ not sure on the time frame for the GA of 6.9 

I am very disappointed that the next GA is not happening sooner.  I have noticed more bugs in the release with no date or expectation that the "not responding" or whatever is brought up in these forums are not being addressed.  I would like to have more features, however, I would prefer the features that is now offered to be working properly before creating new ones.

I would appreciate if there would be more stability of the product which I love and has used for coming up for over seven years!  I would appreciate your prompt response.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, jimNH said:

CalS Tks;  For me I found changing the title wasnt adequate; I had to change the filename of the pdf by downloading it (since right click save as doesnt work on these files either..) and then reimporting it into evernote..

I'll look at the 6.9 beta but I'm also looking at Nimbus. EN has gone tone deaf.

You are welcome.  My bad, I meant the PDF file title, not the note title, should have been more specific.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:57 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

[Update 12/13: we've updated the GA build to address an issue with the app icon. We've updated the link in the post below.]

Hi folks - 

We're excited to announce Windows 6.8 GA. You can install it here or by checking for updates. This will be available in the Windows Store after we roll out via the Web.  Fixes for the GA include:

• A fix for an issue where a new note would sometimes open in a minimized state
  • Two fixes for intermittent crashes in the editor 

Feedback welcome on what you'd like to see improved in 6.9. Be on the lookout for our Beta 1 which is just around the corner! 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team.

---------------------------------------

Release Notes for Windows version 6.8

Note: Version 6.8 is supported in OS versions Windows 7 and up.

Improved

• If you have a touch monitor, you can now pan notes with the swipe of a finger
  • More quickly start a bulleted list using a hyphen. In addition to using the still supported '*'+space shortcut, you can now also use '-'+space shortcut

Fixed

This release has many bug fixes. Some notable fixes include

• A fix where tables clipped from Microsoft Word or Outlook did not appear correctly in Evernote
  • A fix where additional lines are pasted when pasting a line of text from Evernote to other applications
  • A fix for no longer dropping the check box and end line on copy/paste of a to-do item
  • A fix where some reminders are not synced after clicking the sync button
  • A fix to ensure the app if downloaded from the Windows Store respects the Options>Start on Windows Logon option
  • A fix so that selecting the 'New Note' button when in the Business tab with no notebook selected, no longer creates a note in Personal

Why is the version on Windows Store still at 6.7 instead of 6.8? I thought the upgrade process will be easier now that Evernote is in the Windows Store. Please give us the upgrade.

On 12/18/2017 at 5:18 PM, louay.md said:
  • Almost all inserted pictures disappear randomly from my notes.
  • Page lines ('rules') randomly decide to not show up sometimes, or only if I insert 2 lines before them.
  • Font sizes throughout the whole note randomly undo to default after hours of work.
  • Countless bugs related to bullet lists
  • Images randomly decide to not want to annotate. I press the annotate icon and nothing happens.
  • Images also reset to their original size after I do annotate them, or do anything to them really.
  • Let me repeat the first one because I've lost hours of work due to this: almost all inserted pictures are disappearing randomly from my notes.

All of these issues happen to me too! 

Especially the disappearing pictures is really annoying.

The app is rather useless with these essential bugs! I only installed evernote a couple of weeks ago, but I had expected more from a 500+ employee company... I hope you can fix these issues soon

My disappointment with the update continues. It is getting worse daily! Now, in my previously existing tables, I hit tab in the last cell or hit the PLUS to add a row, the new rows appear couple rows up in the middle of the table!!!!

Added photos to a note continues to disappear and do not get me started on the sluggishness and the "Not responding" messages I get on a daily basis. 

I am hoping the next update fixes all this otherwise this has become a huge hindrance in my daily work!

Unfortunately, I am going to keep on posting about issues I encounter daily and the frustration I am feeling because it is really impacting my work. More importantly, I don't have the confidence or the peace of mind that my notes are there when I need them the way I created them.

I created a note with information on it and added another note link to it. As I normally do, I put an Evernote logo before the link, this helps differentiating different parts of the note and looks nicer to the eye. Did the ALT F F and selected the PNG  file...it took 2 minutes to put the logo...in a wrong location but it was there.

I accessed the note later and the logo was gone. Then I added another link to another note under the previous link.

I worked on other things, came back to this note and now the note with information and links is a new note that I just created that had a photo in it created with Scannable app. But it did not have photo. I knew it was that note because I had written down couple things about the document I scanned. But it was keeping the tags from the original note! My scannable note was still there. So I had to go to the history of the note I lost and recover it. If this was not happening to me, as I was working on these notes, I could have looked for this note with some search terms and wouldn't find it easily (my tags would allow me to find it though)

So after this recovery, I went to other things and came back to the note to find out that the second link I had inserted is no longer there!

For someone using Evernote all day long and for work purposes, this is beyond frustration at this time!! PLEASE release the update and get rid of these bugs! This has become a daily occurrence and I am really getting annoyed by it.

7 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

Unfortunately, I am going to keep on posting about issues I encounter daily and the frustration I am feeling because it is really impacting my work. More importantly, I don't have the confidence or the peace of mind that my notes are there when I need them the way I created them.

I created a note with information on it and added another note link to it. As I normally do, I put an Evernote logo before the link, this helps differentiating different parts of the note and looks nicer to the eye. Did the ALT F F and selected the PNG  file...it took 2 minutes to put the logo...in a wrong location but it was there.

I accessed the note later and the logo was gone. Then I added another link to another note under the previous link.

I worked on other things, came back to this note and now the note with information and links is a new note that I just created that had a photo in it created with Scannable app. But it did not have photo. I knew it was that note because I had written down couple things about the document I scanned. But it was keeping the tags from the original note! My scannable note was still there. So I had to go to the history of the note I lost and recover it. If this was not happening to me, as I was working on these notes, I could have looked for this note with some search terms and wouldn't find it easily (my tags would allow me to find it though)

So after this recovery, I went to other things and came back to the note to find out that the second link I had inserted is no longer there!

For someone using Evernote all day long and for work purposes, this is beyond frustration at this time!! PLEASE release the update and get rid of these bugs! This has become a daily occurrence and I am really getting annoyed by it.

After I posted this, I went back to the "Scannable" note and the photo is no longer there!!!! Now I am doing double work, I have to recapture that image I had already captured. And what other images I am losing that I am not aware of!!!!

If this is not fixed soon, a dedicated customer will have to be looking at a different solution and will be very sad about it too.

20 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Unfortunately, I am going to keep on posting about issues ...

I certainly feel your frustration, and even the need to vent, but at this point I think we're Preaching to the choir. I don't think anyone at EN is listening. This might have already been suggested. Maybe you can revert back to a previous version of EN until a next public release is more stable. I recently opened a support ticket with support RE: EN v_6.7.5.5825 (public release) which had some issues  (also image issues), but the most alarming issue was that the update contaminated all of my encrypted notes, started randomly duplicating the content, inside the note, several times over, so I had to manually pick back through the note, line by line to get the note correct again. Support acknowledged an error with encryption in the update from previous version, suggested I backtrack to v_6.7.5.5825. I asked the EN tech if there was some kind of "bug report" section of their forum so that we didn't need to burn up time and energy with endless emails and he pointed me here, but I really don't think anyone at EN follows this section of forum. I'm going to wait until I see a strong public release into v_6.9.xxxx, and certainly not going to instantly update. Oh, also, the really frustration thing for me is that so many people report so many different bugs, and EN support keeps telling me they can't reproduce it. Well, it is certainly happening on my PC and it's not anything on my machine, because the issues appeared with a new update, which means the previous update was working. I think EN development team is in over their head, building on a foundation that may have become unstable. Unfortunately, without a total re-write, things may get worse from here.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, RgaDawg said:

I don't think anyone at EN is listening. ... I really don't think anyone at EN follows this section of forum

Well. except for Evernote employees @Austin G, @Jason Miller, and @dconnet, who have all participated in this topic, at least up to Jan 24. Yes, they're listening, but no, they don't respond to everything. It's been like that since I started here. I always appreciate more feedback, but I don't expect it.

18 minutes ago, RgaDawg said:

I'm going to wait until I see a strong public release into v_6.9.xxxx, and certainly not going to instantly update

That's entirely reasonable, given the reports of data loss that have been coming through.

20 minutes ago, RgaDawg said:

Oh, also, the really frustration thing for me is that so many people report so many different bugs, and EN support keeps telling me they can't reproduce it. Well, it is certainly happening on my PC and it's not anything on my machine, because the issues appeared with a new update, which means the previous update was working.

Sure, anyone can understand the frustration, and it's clear that this release has some serious problems, but very often the key to fixing a problem is being able to replicate it, especially if you can do so in the cozy confines of a debugging environment. Trust me on this one: if you're a developer, and a bug report comes in, and it's not clear what the cause is, and you can't reproduce it, then you share the frustration too (today I'm working on a bug where one of our QA folks made a video using yesterday's build, with a seemingly easy scenario, and I can't replicate the problem with today's build. Oh, but I spotted a different problem along the way, and fixed that, but still can't replicate the original problem. This is not atypical).  Anyway, it may or may not be anything wrong with your machine, but something different on your machine may be interacting with some new code in this release, and that's why it's acting up now. That's what can make bugs elusive, and how they can pass through what may actually be pretty rigorous testing. 

Even so, your frustration is wholly warranted.

40 minutes ago, RgaDawg said:

I think EN development team is in over their head, building on a foundation that may have become unstable. Unfortunately, without a total re-write, things may get worse from here.

I really believe that something went boom this time around, but total rewrites of a complicated code base are not the panacea that everyone seems to think they are. It's really hard to tell from the outside. But data loss issues are scary, and I truly hope that it gets sorted as soon as possible, so we can all go back to complaining about cut/paste/formatting issues...

9 minutes ago, jefito said:

Well. except for Evernote employees @Austin G, @Jason Miller, and @dconnet, who have all participated in this topic, at least up to Jan 24. Yes, they're listening, but no, they don't respond to everything. It's been like that since I started here. I always appreciate more feedback, but I don't expect it.

Definitely, thank you for this response and confirming that something may have gone "boom" with the 6.8.7.6387 update. It helps restore some of my confidence in EN. Austin G. actually did work with me on a few issues with that release, and he was extremely polite and accommodating, kept working with the issue. He was able to confirm the issue about encryption. There are still what seem to be anomalies from user to user that cannot be reproduced, understandable. I have lived with one such anomaly since a paid subscriber of EN about 6 years ago. It is not anything that disturbs my work in EN. It just makes something a little inconvenient, but workable.

1 hour ago, RgaDawg said:

I certainly feel your frustration, and even the need to vent, but at this point I think we're Preaching to the choir. I don't think anyone at EN is listening. This might have already been suggested. Maybe you can revert back to a previous version of EN until a next public release is more stable. I recently opened a support ticket with support RE: EN v_6.7.5.5825 (public release) which had some issues  (also image issues), but the most alarming issue was that the update contaminated all of my encrypted notes, started randomly duplicating the content, inside the note, several times over, so I had to manually pick back through the note, line by line to get the note correct again. Support acknowledged an error with encryption in the update from previous version, suggested I backtrack to v_6.7.5.5825. I asked the EN tech if there was some kind of "bug report" section of their forum so that we didn't need to burn up time and energy with endless emails and he pointed me here, but I really don't think anyone at EN follows this section of forum. I'm going to wait until I see a strong public release into v_6.9.xxxx, and certainly not going to instantly update. Oh, also, the really frustration thing for me is that so many people report so many different bugs, and EN support keeps telling me they can't reproduce it. Well, it is certainly happening on my PC and it's not anything on my machine, because the issues appeared with a new update, which means the previous update was working. I think EN development team is in over their head, building on a foundation that may have become unstable. Unfortunately, without a total re-write, things may get worse from here.

I sure hope people from Evernote is listening and watching these forums. First of all, there are not many posts every day so it is manageable. Second, there are really good ideas and comments being shared by dedicated, enthusiastic users who feel like they are part of the Evernote "team". 

I did go back a version which feels so good after using the "latest". Everything is working the way I am used to and my anxiety level dropped. However, I think the old update corrupted some of my tables as I still try to add a row to the end of the table in couple of my notes and the new rows keep appearing in the middle of the table! Oh well, I can live with that for the time being.

I understand the amount of effort goes into creating, updating, fixing a software. It is not like they just write one line of code or hit a button everything gets fixed. I get that! But what I don't get is how this update got rolled out to public without catching all these bugs. It appears like it is happening to a lot of people and they are not small issues. I hope a permanent fix is around the corner but I am for the first time is very skeptical about an update. 

Cheers and Happy Friday!

59 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

I sure hope people from Evernote is listening and watching these forums. First of all, there are not many posts every day so it is manageable. Second, there are really good ideas and comments being shared by dedicated, enthusiastic users who feel like they are part of the Evernote "team". 

I did go back a version which feels so good after using the "latest"

Cheers and Happy Friday!

I did get some response the .. "I really believe that something went boom this time around," from

1 hour ago, TK0047 said:

I sure hope people from Evernote is listening and watching these forums. Cheers and Happy Friday!

I did get some response from jefito Super Guru that .."I really believe that something went boom this time around," which seems to validate many of the problems with v6.8.xxx. Many things just seemed to get broke with that update, which happens, but a little scary when you have all your info in one place .. EN has been very stable and trustworthy up to that update. Likewise, happy Friday.

21 hours ago, TK0047 said:

I did go back a version which feels so good after using the "latest". Everything is working the way I am used to and my anxiety level dropped. However, I think the old update corrupted some of my tables as I still try to add a row to the end of the table in couple of my notes and the new rows keep appearing in the middle of the table! Oh well, I can live with that for the time being.

I understand the amount of effort goes into creating, updating, fixing a software. It is not like they just write one line of code or hit a button everything gets fixed. I get that! But what I don't get is how this update got rolled out to public without catching all these bugs. It appears like it is happening to a lot of people and they are not small issues. I hope a permanent fix is around the corner but I am for the first time is very skeptical about an update. 

Cheers and Happy Friday!

I faced the same issue that overwrites a note's content by another one more than once. I am a free user, I don't have History feature. So I had to dig into the local Evernote's database and look for the old notes there. I found them, but the formatting was all gone, the entire note was in one big line, no commas, no signs etc... I have to reformat a giant line to make it the note readable again..... It was a big pain.

I reported the bug but no one responded, no update was released etc... so I just went back to v6.7.
I am surprised like you, that the Development team doesn't test their software before rolling the update to the public, especially for issues that cause data corruption!

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, barnos said:

I am a free user, I don't have History feature.

The Note History backup is running for all accounts.
Access to the data is a paid feature, but you can subscribe for a single month

An alternative is to run your own backup process.  I run daily backups using the export-to-html feature

>>So I had to dig into the local Evernote's database and look for the old notes there. I found them, but the formatting was all gone, the entire note was in one big line, no commas, no signs etc... I have to reformat a giant line to make it the note readable again..... It was a big pain.

Evernote stores note content in enml format; it's similar to the html code used by web browsers

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, RgaDawg said:

I did get some response from jefito Super Guru that .."I really believe that something went boom this time around," which seems to validate many of the problems with v6.8.xxx.

"Super Guru" doesn't mean that I work for Evernote, or even have any inside track to Evernote. The "something went boom" comment is just an opinion based on my observations and comments in the forums.

I can't find a post for Windows 6.9 - which I'm on now.
Evernote has been super shaky and I'm anxious about putting my notes in there, going back to drafts in Outlook seems like a safer option which is quite weird.

The cursor keeps jumping around removing text that shouldn't be removed, and I can't do the horizontal rule anymore - just to name 2 issues.
From reading the above it doesn't seem like upgrading to a paid version would help me get back to the app that I loved so much and trusted with all my thoughts?

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, randial said:

I've been an Evernote user since 2008 and have seen many changes for better or worse.  Until now, I've been able to work around it or adapt.

The word Improved is an opinion for the person using it and should not be assumed for everyone else by making those changes mandatory for them.  That mentality is much of what's wrong with this world today.  Now we need the option of turning those items off as this is not an improvement for our team at all and in fact is now quickly causing problems.

Evernote Business (which we pay a lot of money for) has been the biggest platform our company uses for keeping up with hundreds of orders and tens of thousands PDF files for purchase orders, vendor acknowledgments and order tracking.  Additionally, all the AR & AP statements, remittances, invoices, etc...  My point is, we used the PDF & merge feature heavily all the time.  We had it working for us so well using desktop scanners, being able to quickly drag PDF from EN to other applications.

Please give us a patch that will let us choose to use these quoted features or not.

Hello all-
Because Evernote has not responded to these comments, and I can't risk the company file system by updating, I don't know if it's safe to update to the newest version.  Does anyone know if these issues with 6.8 have been corrected in the latest Windows release?  Are the issues with 6.8 regarding PDF files and merging notes now an option instead of mandatory?

Archived