better support for samsung dex station

eayu

Idea

Is it possible to make the android app function more like the windows desktop app? With dex station and chrombooks coming out , I believe this will be a trend . For example , multiple windows for the notes individually. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 11/30/2017 at 6:44 PM, eayu said:

Is it possible to make the android app function more like the windows desktop app? With dex station and chrombooks coming out , I believe this will be a trend . For example , multiple windows for the notes individually. 

It may be a trend in the future,  but from the point of view of a company wishing to give existing and new users a reason to use Evernote now,  I don't see a possible future trend being a major priority unless and until dex stations are pretty standard for a majority of Android / Evernote users.

There are some pretty major differences in display size and resolution between a desktop and a typical mobile device,  not to mention the OS issues - making it feasible to replicate a desktop application from a tablet would require a considerable investment of development time and effort.

Hi there.

I would like to second this suggestion by eayu; I am using the new S4 tablet with a keyboard as a work productivity device. For this purpose, I do not use a lot of apps, but the ones I do use I work on them all day.  I pay for Evernote premium because it's an awesome solution that is at the centre of my workflow for organising the millions of disparate bits of information that get passed around during a working day. So saying, I'd love to see proper DEX support because currently Evernote's UI has major errors in DEX. This means for one app I am forced to fall back to using the standard tablet interface. Obviously, it can be done, but it feels limiting.

Do you have DEX support on your backlog of dev work? If not, can I second it be added to your feature list for development in the short term?

Thank you very much.

Additional support for Samsung Dex would be great!

Replicating the desktop application is understandably difficult and not necessary at this time. Something simple like allowing automatic screen fitting would be great.

The Samsung Dex Lab is working on this, but as of now the Evernote mobile app isn't affected.

Screenshot_20181020-102709_Samsung DeX home.jpg

I'm disappointed that I'm the first person to 'upvote' this idea! With the NexDock 2 now available, and Google very likely to have a functioning desktop mode in Android 11, it is time that Evernote made the Android app compatible.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

... among other „first“ things. The number of votes for this thread is probably an indicator of how urgent the user base is wishing this here to happen.

In general there are 2 types of EN clients, and then there is the web client.

The desktop clients (Win & Mac) run their own local database. That makes high performance on multi-note-operations, local search index etc. But it consumes a significant amount of processing power and storage space.

The mobile clients have only a small local database (that can be expanded declaring notebooks as „offline“) and rely on drawing the note of interest (and this is „1“ note at a time) from the server, and sync it back before operating on the next one.

Now mobile devices have developed, and probably this basic design of the EN mobile solution is not up to everything the industry will throw at the users (talk about iPad Pros with iPadOS). So we have to wait and see what will happen in this segment.

Currently the communicated priorities of EN management are not to develop the clients isolated, for one OS this and the other that. The next „big thing“ will probably a more unified design, making user experience more similar over the clients.

• Like 2

Thanks for the fairly comprehensive and reasoned response @PinkElephant!

Of course, I can see all that on one level. But, as an Evernote customer wanting the best user experience wherever I use it, the Android desktop mode via Dex falls well short of that. And it is extremely frustrating when I have as much or more power and storage in my phone as a lot of people have in their laptops. At least if the UX becomes more consistent across Android / Android over Dex / Windows that would be some improvement.

Even so, I assume that Evernote has very impressive developer resource to call on and being ahead of the curve in implementing Dex / Android desktop mode might actually prove to be a good thing.

The one small grain of comfort I take from this is that Apple users are no better served that us Android users - because if that happens I'll be gone!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RichardM said:

I assume that Evernote has very impressive developer resource to call on

They presumably do,  but taking a blue-sky punt in the direction of Dex support would cost a great deal of money and divert some of those resources from other developments.  As @PinkElephant mentioned,  this suggestion so far has very few votes suggesting that if Evernote were lucky they might pick up another few customers in the next year with the added feature - certainly not enough to justify the cost. - Plus to add support for peripherals you need to be working with a mature and stable code base - a status of which the newly overhauled Evernote package (which hasn't yet been released) would fall a little short.  Still the suggestion has been made,  and developers will have it recorded somewhere - if the team have any Dex users in house it might get a little more traction too...