[Request] Better inking and consolidation of UI for annotation

Jorge Ferreira

Idea

I know, I know, this is the dream. I’ve been requesting this since EN acquired Penultimate.

As of right now there are 2 different interfaces for inking and annotation. Inking (or sketching) uses a similar engine as penultimate, and annotation uses the skitch interface. 

It would be INSANELY great and useful if the inking engine replaced the skitch pen an marker, its way better and sometimes you need to scribble on an image or sign a PDF.

And on the sketching side, it would also be useful to implement some of the features of the skitch annotation UI: like stamps, text, arrows, and cropping.

So if these two separate UIs merged, we could have a unified user experience, and way better annotation capabilities. Not trying to light a fire here but iOS Notes app already does this with markup and sketching.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

My impression is that Evernote is not interested in developing the annotation features,

My solution is to switch to alternate editors.  I like using the Notability app on my IPAD
I completed my editing and save the document to Evernote as an attachment

On 11/29/2017 at 10:52 AM, Jorge Ferreira said:

I know, I know, this is the dream. I’ve been requesting this since EN acquired Penultimate.

As of right now there are 2 different interfaces for inking and annotation. Inking (or sketching) uses a similar engine as penultimate, and annotation uses the skitch interface. 

It would be INSANELY great and useful if the inking engine replaced the skitch pen an marker, its way better and sometimes you need to scribble on an image or sign a PDF.

And on the sketching side, it would also be useful to implement some of the features of the skitch annotation UI: like stamps, text, arrows, and cropping.

So if these two separate UIs merged, we could have a unified user experience, and way better annotation capabilities. Not trying to light a fire here but iOS Notes app already does this with markup and sketching.

You nailed it! For some reason countless people allude to this unification yet it has been unchanged. I sometimes feel like I’m the only one having frustrations using these two very different annotation tools

There is a simple workaround. Make an empty image (as a template) and use the annotation tool. This way, you are never going to use the PenUltimate interface (if that is the goal).  The good thing about the annotation tool is it will resize your image if you become space greedy.

Hope this helps,

Archived