• Announcements

    • Shane D.

      Evernote Business Beta - Spaces   12/20/2017

      We're very excited to announce the public beta of an upcoming rework for Evernote Business! To learn more, go Here
    • Shane D.

      2018 Evernote Webinars   01/04/2018

      To kick off the new year, we're excited to announce our  updated schedule for our series of webinars! Please check the events calendar to see which one works best for you!
jheuer

Skitch Mac Bug when dragging to another app

Recommended Posts

I reported this bug to tech support a couple of weeks ago and so far no resolution. When I try to drag an unannotated screenshot from Skitch to another application, or just to a finder window, one of two things happens:

  1. Skitch crashes, or
  2. The previous screenshot is dragged instead of the one I just took.

Anyone else seeing this?

Share this post


Link to post

This may be what i'm seeing but I usually have a fresh (empty) snapshot to start. What i see when i drag and drop is a blank image named "Blank.jpg" gets dropped instead of what i just captured. I have to RENAME the snapshot to get it to work. This is recent behavior for me.

Share this post


Link to post

I have the same issue since about 2-3 weeks : though I'm dragging the correct last fresh (unannotated, not renamed) screenshot and the thumbnail when dragging is correct too, it is the previous unannotated screenshot that is pasted. (it works if the previous screenshot was annotated) :o

This is an issue because there is a high risk to share a wrong screenshot to clients...

A workaround as said by jheuer is to think to add an annotation on the last screenshot to get it work... but that's it is time consuming and does not stick to my mind every time...

Share this post


Link to post

Chris, because this bug is so pervasive for me, and the need for annotated screenshots is a key part of my workflow, I'm experimenting with other tools. I'm not sure what's happening with Evernote's support of Skitch; they tell me they have no timetable for fixing this. I'm pretty happy with CloudApp; it also has the virtue of recording videos and GIFs, if that's a need. The workflow (keyboard shortcut, annotate, drag) is pretty similar. And there is automatic upload and copy of the link to your clipboard. Only downside is I liked having the searchable screenshots as part of my Evernote library :( .  But I'd rather have a working product with an actual roadmap than an unsupported buggy application.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks jheuer. I couldn't say it better than you :) We seem to have a very similar workflow

4 hours ago, jheuer said:

(keyboard shortcut, annotate, drag)

I work on building an app and supporting our customers along their adoption path which means many screenshots of UI, emails, etc. that need to be caught and dragged into our main work stream (our own work tracking app) to discuss, organize and get related actions completed. Adding context can happen at different steps using annotations and/or commenting, or documenting the action required for example.

Direct annotation, right after capture, before and without having to Save to Evernote first, is a real plus of using Skitch.

I'll seriously explore the top bar Clipper of Evernote Mac app, even though I have the preliminary feeling it work well for unannotated screenshots as well as sequences of screenshots, but a bit less well for annotated that will require many additional steps to save, switch window, locate and select note, select screenshot inside the note, right click to start annotating [...] close, copy (but not drag and drop) :) I think I'll give it a try anyway to prepare for the future... Plus I like the idea of Evernote doing it all-in-one.

Share this post


Link to post

Same here on the workflow. For the most part, I never even save them - without a functioning drag and drop the experience is pretty disappointing. Fwiw, I tried a reinstall and cleaned out all the tmp files I could find. Skitch used to be my most useful app.

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/28/2017 at 1:13 PM, JeffGriffith said:

This may be what i'm seeing but I usually have a fresh (empty) snapshot to start. What i see when i drag and drop is a blank image named "Blank.jpg" gets dropped instead of what i just captured. I have to RENAME the snapshot to get it to work. This is recent behavior for me.

I started seeing this after upgrading to macOS High Sierra. It's super frustrating. I've been exporting images in order to share them, since dragging rarely works now.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/15/2017 at 2:33 PM, John Jelinek said:

I started seeing this after upgrading to macOS High Sierra. It's super frustrating. I've been exporting images in order to share them, since dragging rarely works now.

John, I recently upgraded to High Sierra also so perhaps that's the key. For now i just change all auto-generated filenames to "x" as soon as I snap and i'm nearly back to full speed :-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/29/2017 at 2:32 AM, chris-azendoo said:

I have the same issue since about 2-3 weeks : though I'm dragging the correct last fresh (unannotated, not renamed) screenshot and the thumbnail when dragging is correct too, it is the previous unannotated screenshot that is pasted. (it works if the previous screenshot was annotated) :o

This is an issue because there is a high risk to share a wrong screenshot to clients...

A workaround as said by jheuer is to think to add an annotation on the last screenshot to get it work... but that's it is time consuming and does not stick to my mind every time...

I'm seeing the same bug after updating to High Sierra, also. Although I seem to always get the previous screenshot when dragging/dropping. At least it's made for some entertaining conversations  with customers and coworkers?  I'm jumping ship to CloudApp until I hear this is resolved.  Such a bummer... Skitch was an integral part of my daily workflows. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now