Skitch Mac Bug when dragging to another app

I reported this bug to tech support a couple of weeks ago and so far no resolution. When I try to drag an unannotated screenshot from Skitch to another application, or just to a finder window, one of two things happens:

1. Skitch crashes, or
  2. The previous screenshot is dragged instead of the one I just took.

Anyone else seeing this?

This may be what i'm seeing but I usually have a fresh (empty) snapshot to start. What i see when i drag and drop is a blank image named "Blank.jpg" gets dropped instead of what i just captured. I have to RENAME the snapshot to get it to work. This is recent behavior for me.

I have the same issue since about 2-3 weeks : though I'm dragging the correct last fresh (unannotated, not renamed) screenshot and the thumbnail when dragging is correct too, it is the previous unannotated screenshot that is pasted. (it works if the previous screenshot was annotated) :o

This is an issue because there is a high risk to share a wrong screenshot to clients...

A workaround as said by jheuer is to think to add an annotation on the last screenshot to get it work... but that's it is time consuming and does not stick to my mind every time...

• Like 1

Chris, because this bug is so pervasive for me, and the need for annotated screenshots is a key part of my workflow, I'm experimenting with other tools. I'm not sure what's happening with Evernote's support of Skitch; they tell me they have no timetable for fixing this. I'm pretty happy with CloudApp; it also has the virtue of recording videos and GIFs, if that's a need. The workflow (keyboard shortcut, annotate, drag) is pretty similar. And there is automatic upload and copy of the link to your clipboard. Only downside is I liked having the searchable screenshots as part of my Evernote library :( .  But I'd rather have a working product with an actual roadmap than an unsupported buggy application.

• Like 2

Thanks jheuer. I couldn't say it better than you :) We seem to have a very similar workflow

4 hours ago, jheuer said:

(keyboard shortcut, annotate, drag)

I work on building an app and supporting our customers along their adoption path which means many screenshots of UI, emails, etc. that need to be caught and dragged into our main work stream (our own work tracking app) to discuss, organize and get related actions completed. Adding context can happen at different steps using annotations and/or commenting, or documenting the action required for example.

Direct annotation, right after capture, before and without having to Save to Evernote first, is a real plus of using Skitch.

I'll seriously explore the top bar Clipper of Evernote Mac app, even though I have the preliminary feeling it work well for unannotated screenshots as well as sequences of screenshots, but a bit less well for annotated that will require many additional steps to save, switch window, locate and select note, select screenshot inside the note, right click to start annotating [...] close, copy (but not drag and drop) :) I think I'll give it a try anyway to prepare for the future... Plus I like the idea of Evernote doing it all-in-one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:13 PM, JeffGriffith said:

This may be what i'm seeing but I usually have a fresh (empty) snapshot to start. What i see when i drag and drop is a blank image named "Blank.jpg" gets dropped instead of what i just captured. I have to RENAME the snapshot to get it to work. This is recent behavior for me.

I started seeing this after upgrading to macOS High Sierra. It's super frustrating. I've been exporting images in order to share them, since dragging rarely works now.

On 12/15/2017 at 2:33 PM, John Jelinek said:

I started seeing this after upgrading to macOS High Sierra. It's super frustrating. I've been exporting images in order to share them, since dragging rarely works now.

John, I recently upgraded to High Sierra also so perhaps that's the key. For now i just change all auto-generated filenames to "x" as soon as I snap and i'm nearly back to full speed :-)

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 2:32 AM, chris-azendoo said:

I have the same issue since about 2-3 weeks : though I'm dragging the correct last fresh (unannotated, not renamed) screenshot and the thumbnail when dragging is correct too, it is the previous unannotated screenshot that is pasted. (it works if the previous screenshot was annotated) :o

This is an issue because there is a high risk to share a wrong screenshot to clients...

A workaround as said by jheuer is to think to add an annotation on the last screenshot to get it work... but that's it is time consuming and does not stick to my mind every time...

I'm seeing the same bug after updating to High Sierra, also. Although I seem to always get the previous screenshot when dragging/dropping. At least it's made for some entertaining conversations  with customers and coworkers?  I'm jumping ship to CloudApp until I hear this is resolved.  Such a bummer... Skitch was an integral part of my daily workflows. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This bug has been annoying me for a while too. It's always been such a useful tool...

Workaround: If you do a quick export (CMD-E) to a Temp folder (I just have a Temp folder as a favourite in Finder to put throw away stuff in) then the drag will work. It mustn't be storing the image as a temporary file properly since an upgrade somewhere in the last year.

Hopefully they do an update soonish as I can't really be bothered finding/learning a new tool...

On 2/12/2018 at 6:50 PM, mrp40 said:

This bug has been annoying me for a while too. It's always been such a useful tool...

Workaround: If you do a quick export (CMD-E) to a Temp folder (I just have a Temp folder as a favourite in Finder to put throw away stuff in) then the drag will work. It mustn't be storing the image as a temporary file properly since an upgrade somewhere in the last year.

Hopefully they do an update soonish as I can't really be bothered finding/learning a new tool...

Thanks for posting. I moved over to Cloud App and while I am not a fan of paying for another tool, it has some awesome features. I would completely ditch evernote for google drive or google keep if it was easy to migrate.

• 1 month later...

I was excited to notice that Skitch for OSX actually got an update (2.8.1) a few days ago on March 7.  It seems to have actually fixed this bug for me!

Super excited! Very glad to have this fix in one of my favorite tools!

Yes, it's fixed in 2.8.1. Wouldn't it have been nice if Evernote actually read this thread and told us? I feel like they are asleep at the wheel, while other products pass them by. CloudApp, Notion, there are so many.

11 hours ago, jheuer said:

Yes, it's fixed in 2.8.1. Wouldn't it have been nice if Evernote actually read this thread and told us? I feel like they are asleep at the wheel, while other products pass them by. CloudApp, Notion, there are so many.

You're fully right. After many problems with sharing the wrong image, I finally followed the above suggestions and changed my workflow. I now use Cloudapp for screenshot annotation which proves to be really reactive when annotating and offers a nice spotlight feature... Our team also gives a try to Slite for team documentation... All this reduces the footprint of Evernote on our daily work... <_<

Is anyone have problems with 2.8.1 dragging to another app. For about the last 2 weeks I can no longer drag to Slack or Jira. I have to drag to the desktop or other finder folder, then drag that to Slack or Jira. A royal pain. It's got to be a temp folder problem or something. Thanks.

Matthew, I got these instructions from Evernote support. Basically a very clean reinstallation:

1. If Skitch is running, press Command + Q to quit the Skitch application
  2. Download App Cleaner from the App Cleaner website
  3. When the download is complete: open the zip file, then open the App Cleaner app
  4. Open the ‘Applications’ folder in your Finder and drag Skitch to the App Cleaner window
  5. After App Cleaner searches for and lists all related files, click Remove
  6. Right-click (or Ctrl + Click) on your Mac’s Trash and select Empty Trash
  7. Reboot your computer
  8. Download and install Skitch for Mac Version 2.8.1 from Mac App Store
  9. Open Skitch and log in to your Evernote account
  • Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, jheuer said:

Matthew, I got these instructions from Evernote support. Basically a very clean reinstallation:

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I assume this doesn't do anything to your screen captures since those are synced with Evernote and should still be available online.

50 minutes ago, jheuer said:

1. If Skitch is running, press Command + Q to quit the Skitch application
  2. Download App Cleaner from the App Cleaner website
  3. When the download is complete: open the zip file, then open the App Cleaner app
  4. Open the ‘Applications’ folder in your Finder and drag Skitch to the App Cleaner window
  5. After App Cleaner searches for and lists all related files, click Remove
  6. Right-click (or Ctrl + Click) on your Mac’s Trash and select Empty Trash
  7. Reboot your computer
  8. Download and install Skitch for Mac Version 2.8.1 from Mac App Store
  9. Open Skitch and log in to your Evernote account

Unfortunately, this did not work for me. Funny, I can drag to Outlook, but not to Slack or Jira. Jira runs in a browser and I have a funny feeling Slack app on Mac might still be similar to a browser. Tried Jira in both Safari and Chrome, not good. But the CloudApp works with drag and drop from their app to both Jira and Slack.

I am also seeing this. It seems to be happening after a recent update. I have used this feature (dragging the current screenshot) extensively and then all of a sudden it started having problems. Either dragging the previous image or crashing.

On 3/29/2018 at 12:05 AM, Gabsiscoding said:

I just upgraded to 2.8.1 via the Mac App Store and drag and drop from Skitch to Slack is broken.

Rolling back Skitch to 2.8 manually (https://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/skitch/mac/release/Skitch-2.8.zip) allowed me to fix this issue.

I also tried the App Cleaner instructions above and reinstalling via the Mac App Store but it did not fix the issue.

Thank you! Rolling back to 2.8 solved the issue for me too as nothing else would. I hope Evernote fixes this problem in the next release. Thanks Gabsiscoding!

I can confirm that we've also started experiencing this in recent updates.

We can still drag the finder - however nothing like slack, Jira, Gmail etc work.

Additionally, we've noticed that when you drag to your desktop, then take another screenshot, it deletes the previous one, so you're unable to take a sequence of images.

--

Can also confirm downgrading to 2.8 fixes both issues.

Edited by OwenMelbz
confirming the fix
  • Like 1

I seem to be experiencing a completely different issue now.  The 2.8.1 upgrade fixed the crashes on dragging/dropping issue for me, and I was very excited.  However, something worse seems to be happening now.  Taking a new screenshot seems to overwrite the previously saved screenshot.  To reproduce:

• take a screenshot with skitch
  • set the filename at bottom left in skitch, i.e. "test1"
  • drag/drop it into a folder in finder
  • take a second screenshot in skitch
  • note that "test1.png" (the saved version of the original screenshot) vanishes as soon as you take the second screenshot.

I'm on Skitch 2.8.1,

OSX High Sierra 10.13.3

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2018 at 9:07 AM, OwenMelbz said:

I can confirm that we've also started experiencing this in recent updates.

We can still drag the finder - however nothing like slack, Jira, Gmail etc work.

Additionally, we've noticed that when you drag to your desktop, then take another screenshot, it deletes the previous one, so you're unable to take a sequence of images.

--

Can also confirm downgrading to 2.8 fixes both issues.

Confirmed. Rolling back to 2.8 from 2.8.1 fixes all my Drag and Drop issues.

• 5 weeks later...

Two problems I noticed that are related.

1.  In a dual monitor environment, when I drag from Skitch, the expected behavior is for the screen shot to be dropped where I place it on the desktop.  Now, it's automatically dropped on the main screen.  I've worked with all of the arrangement settings to no avail.

2.  I've found that no matter what I do, I can no longer drag and drop from skitch to an app.  I have to go through the finder or desktop first.

So, I'm going to see about downgrading............

....... and YES!  That solved the problem.

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*
45 minutes ago, aNightOne said:

Same thing. Can't drag the clip from the Skitch window directly into an email like you used to be able to do. Have to drag it to the desktop first then drag it from the desktop to email.

Kinda kills the app for me...

I'm not a Skitch user but I tested drag and drop with Version 2.8.2 (264830)
I was able to drag to the desktop, and drag into email

• 1 month later...

I'm using Skitch 2.8.2 and Mojave 10.4.1, and I'm seeing the same thing as everyone else: I can drag to the desktop, but not to anywhere else. I've been using Skitch since its first Beta and am going to hate using something else, but I dropped Evernote a while back as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 5:05 AM, Gabsiscoding said:

I just upgraded to 2.8.1 via the Mac App Store and drag and drop from Skitch to Slack is broken.

Rolling back Skitch to 2.8 manually (https://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/skitch/mac/release/Skitch-2.8.zip) allowed me to fix this issue.

I also tried the App Cleaner instructions above and reinstalling via the Mac App Store but it did not fix the issue.

This fixed the issue for me to. Thanks.

Concerning that this bug has gone unfixed for so long though.

Here's my testing results:

2.8  Can drag successfully to Apple Mail and desktop, but fails to Slack

2.8.1   Can drag successfully to Slack and desktop, but fails to Mail

CMON Evernote!! Is this so hard? Or are you sunsetting Skitch because you want us all to switch to CloudApp or other products? You don't have any engineers available to fix this 2-year old bug?

• 5 weeks later...

I saw this annoying bug for the first time today.

The issue:
Could not drag an image from Skitch to another app (tried Slack and Gmail). When the image was dropped, it was simply a white image with the name 'Blank.jpg'.

The solution:

In Skitch:

• Take a screenshot and insert an annotation (I created a Skitch annotation Box).
  • Delete the annotation.
  • Drag your image to an outside program.

This seems to have resolved the issue for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Heck yes— I've had this for over a year. I used to think it was when dragging over-top of SKETCH app, but I have it all the time. I would have it happen daily, but I've learned to COPY and paste-out, or export and continue. 

• 3 months later...

Right?! Maybe we should do a Kickstarter campaign or create a big bounty for it. Clearly Not a priority for Evernote. Just waiting for CloudApp or someone else to catch up to their feature set so I can switch. Looking forward to paying for a product from a company that’s paying attention. 

• 7 months later...

Did this ever get fixed? 

This has been driving me crazy for ages, I use the Mac copy cmd/ctrl/shift+4 to take a screenshot of the screenshot in Skitch, to save me dragging to the desktop..which is ridiculously long winded but it works for now.

• 2 years later...

This STILL isn't fixed?!

I've tried all the solutions shown in these forums and elsewhere... seems definitely to be a problem between Skitch and OS.  Evernote folks, please make restoring drag-and-drop functionality a priority for skitch.

The only other solution I can think of is to use a different tool.

• Level 5
On 4/19/2022 at 9:48 PM, Gordon F said:

This STILL isn't fixed?!

I've tried all the solutions shown in these forums and elsewhere... seems definitely to be a problem between Skitch and OS.  Evernote folks, please make restoring drag-and-drop functionality a priority for skitch.

Did you really try them ALL ?

When I simply place the mouse over the file symbol below of the Skitch canvas and pull the little symbol elsewhere, the content is grabbed, dragged and then dropped where I want. Tried it with several apps, and on the desktop - worked without a problem.

Hint: Because of the rather brute looking tools and some other reasons, I rarely use Skitch these days any more. My alternative is called "Shottr", which is a small helper app that installs itself in the menu bar of the Mac. I use the free version, there is an upgraded paid version as well.

SCR-20220421-z0.thumb.png.6a26e0626996035a0e1f1f7c5185c26e.png