Tocco

Managing local storage

I am currently using version 6.7.5.5825.

I have a couple of issues.

In the directory c:\users\<user-name>\Evernote I can see a sub-directory named AutoUpdate that has numerous .EXE files that are taking up over 1 GB of space. The latest file (Evernote_5.8.12.8127.exe) is dated 01/07/2015. There are also two small files - an .XML and an .HTML.

Can I safely free up some space by deleting all the .exe files? (What are .EXE files doing in my user directory!?).

In spite of the fact that there is a copy on the Evernote servers, I would like to make a backup of the local database. Is the directory c:\users\<user-name>\Evernote sufficient?

And if I were to copy this backup to another machine, would it be sufficient for me to be able to read the database off-line (using the Evernote application, of course)?

Presumably, the directory c:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote contains only installed files that are not user-specific in any way?

I can address a couple of your questions, I believe. Please be aware that I'm just another user, not an Evernote tech support person, so while I'll try only to talk about what I know, please don't take this as authoritative!

The AutoUpdate subdirectory contains the .exe installation files for versions of Evernote that you've downloaded in the process of updating the program. AFAIK, their only use would be if you wanted to reinstall or revert to an earlier version of the program; and the oldest ones might not even work with your current database. So yes, I think you can safely remove the .exe files, perhaps saving only the most recent. The .xml files, however, may be something that the program needs when you do an update; they're small, and I'd leave them alone.

Others here can give you better advice about backing up, but I believe that c:\users\<user-name>\Evernote\Databases is what you'd want to copy to have just the DB. If you would copy the whole c:\users\<user-name>\Evernote directory and subdirectories to another machine, I'm still not sure that you could use the Evernote program to read the database offline, since (I think--others can confirm or disconfirm) that the program will, by design, try to sync that DB to the online primary version when it starts, and may refuse to run if it cannot do so.

As for c:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote, I would also assume that it contains only the program's necessary installation files and nothing specific to your setup (other, perhaps, than some configuration data). Even your user modifications to the spell-check dictionary are stored in c:\users\<user-name>\Evernote\Dict. But that is only an assumption; mine has 855 files, and I haven't inspected them all!

6 hours ago, Tocco said:

I am currently using version 6.7.5.5825.

I have a couple of issues.

In the directory c:\users\<user-name>\Evernote I can see a sub-directory named AutoUpdate that has numerous .EXE files that are taking up over 1 GB of space. The latest file (Evernote_5.8.12.8127.exe) is dated 01/07/2015. There are also two small files - an .XML and an .HTML.

Can I safely free up some space by deleting all the .exe files? (What are .EXE files doing in my user directory!?).

In spite of the fact that there is a copy on the Evernote servers, I would like to make a backup of the local database. Is the directory c:\users\<user-name>\Evernote sufficient?

And if I were to copy this backup to another machine, would it be sufficient for me to be able to read the database off-line (using the Evernote application, of course)?

Presumably, the directory c:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote contains only installed files that are not user-specific in any way?

The AutoUpdate folder is where EN downloads the program updates.  You can delete the files in there.

All you really need is a copy of the EXB file as a backup.  However, it is more difficult to recover notes from an EXB file.  Consider using the Export function provided by EN and back up your notes by notebook to HTML or EN's native ENEX format.  I use the ENEX format since it is easy to import. 

Relative to copying to the other machine yes you could read the data offline, provided that machine was logged into EN at some point.  But be SURE that you don't have an internet connection since you might create sync conflicts.  Easier solution is to just keep the second machine synced with your account. 

I believe the presumption is correct.

8 hours ago, Tocco said:

Actually the master version of your data is on the servers.  Your computer only stores a copy
You''ll find it difficult to restore data from a backed up database file; specific notes can not be individually extracted
A better backup process is to use the export feature
I use the html format so I can identify specific notes to restore

>>And if I were to copy this backup to another machine, would it be sufficient for me to be able to read the database off-line (using the Evernote application, of course)?

Its more conventional to install Evernote on the new machine and it will build the database from the servers; local notebooks have to be addressed manually

Thank you all for your assuring replies!

It is a good point that the master copy in reality is on the Evernote servers - not on the machine that I use most of the time even though I intuitively regard that as the master copy! This local one is nevertheless the most up-to-date copy until it syncs.

The deep reason for my posting is ransomware.

If my machine gets attacked and all my local files are encrypted then I fear that the Evernote servers will sync the encrypted data. Previously I had thought of the Evernote servers as a substitute for a true backup but now I fear that they are not. Nor are other (partially) synced machines backups unless they are kept off-line from the Evernote servers (except for regular on-line syncs).

I appreciate that the Export functions are more flexible than a raw database backup if there is a need to recover individual data items but appropriately timed backing up of the EXB file seems to me to serve the purpose of disaster protection as long as this backup is then stored off-line or behind a security challenge.

Actually the ransomware issue frightens the life out of me because it potentially applies to all cloud services, doesn't it? Please somebody tell me I'm wrong!

On 2017-11-23 at 9:25 AM, Tocco said:

The deep reason for my posting is ransomware.

It's a good point, and another reason for backups.
I have daily incremental backups, and a weekly full backup

We were advising on the best method to back up your data
There are pros and cons for each method.  

• Another point is the export/import does not restore your database exactly; same content, but new notes.
    The full database copy does restore your database exactly; until the first sync runs

>>If my machine gets attacked and all my local files are encrypted then I fear that the Evernote servers will sync the encrypted data.

Also, think about Evernote being attacked evernote-pounded-by-aggressive-cyber-attack
I was briefly locked out by that attack, but really my greatest risk is that I accidentally delete content

On 11/23/2017 at 9:25 AM, Tocco said:

If my machine gets attacked and all my local files are encrypted then I fear that the Evernote servers will sync the encrypted data.

Not really possible - if the file gets encrypted, that means we can't read it. As far as EN is concerned, it's entirely corrupted data. (I'm not sure what the program will actually do in this state - it certainly won't upload anything to the server.) Well, unless the ransomware is _really_ intelligent and knows our data format and miraculously changes the database is a manner that doesn't corrupt it... I think I fear the sun going supernova more than that happening...