Evernote for Mac 6.13.1 GA

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi Folks - 

Version 6.13.1 fixes some bugs users have been encountering around reminders and sync. It also introduces an improvement to make it easier to troubleshoot specific notes failing to sync.

You can download it here, or check for updates to get the latest. We'll be monitoring this release closely and be rolling it out gradually, so expect this to take a few days before it is available in the App Store.   

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team

------------------

Version 6.13.1 Release Notes

Fixed:

• A fix for an issue where reminders overlap text and omit notes on macOS 10.13.1
  • A fix for an issue where sync intermittently fails for some users after clipping content from the web (CDATA error seen in log)
  • An improvement to make it easier to detect and troubleshoot specific notes that are failing to sync - if you see an exclamation mark on a note in the note list (for snippet and card view) and a red dot in the sync status column for the list views, it's a problematic note. 

Note: If you see a particular note that is failing to sync, try to make a change to the note - add any character click the sync button. We've found that in many cases this resolves issues. If issues still persist, please contact support or post here. 

69 replies to this idea

On 11/23/2017 at 6:30 PM, Anth0ny said:

Evernote on my mac forced an login an update to 

Evernote (6.13.1) is currently the newest version available.

On macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.1

No screen shows .... and file shows no access?

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 10.23.26 am.png

Same problem for me, any thoughts on how to address would be appreciated.

Hi there,

I'm using latest evernote version on macbook version 10.11.6. When I search for a word among over 800 notes, I'm getting 0 or very limited returns. This does not happen for internet version of evernote. When I uninstall and reinstall evernote, the same thing happens.  Please help.

Thanks,

Mark

On 11/22/2017 at 10:01 AM, LStar said:

Hi, I updated yesterday to version 6.13.1 of Evernote and I can't print titles anymore. This is really frustrating because I do need titles to be there.

Ditto here. No titles, but the gargantuan margin is still there, gobbling up a ton of the page. :::sigh:::

10 hours ago, therealslimadie said:

I have previously reported this bug before when copying and pasting formatted text it inserts the code for non-breaking spaces. See attached. I left the original copy there as well as the bug. Could you please fix this?

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 10.12.21.png

I am not getting that at the moment (but I am working with bleeding edge stuff internal) - where were you coping the text from and I will try to recreate to verified it is actually fixed

On 12/2/2017 at 3:40 AM, Mike Figueroa said:

Additional bugs to report:

Strange copy & paste behaviour "&" becomes "&"

Cursor jumps to a random spot in a note when doing things like deleting a line or a code block.

Just a reminder. Old bugs still needing a fix:

The unnecessary and intrusive table UI, which isn't even consistent between platforms and adds unnecessary spaces, NEEDS TO GO.

Tables with "match note width" do not retain note width when resizing the note window.

Match note width really means match current note width, not stick to width - there is a feature request to pin tables to the width of the note

And sorry that is the current table UI for now

6 hours ago, Wei Zheng said:

Same problem here. It happened before in an earlier version about a year ago, and it took a couple of months to get fixed in a following update. I'd be very grateful if it can get fixed faster this time. BTW, it'd be a good idea to keep this problem in mind in future updates, as it won't look good to repeat the same mistake 3 times. Thank you. 

Fix coming in 6.13.2

Hi there,

I seem to have an exotic issue with Evernote v. 6.13.* running under High Sierra. Yesterday, I ran the AppStore version on my laptop for the first time since the upgrade and lost ALL my notes: The account simply showed an empty note list and no folder structure. The normal sync did not seem to help.

I looked at my spouse's laptop, freshly upgraded to High Sierra (but still running v. 6.11), and everything looked fine with my account (which I have not used for quite a while). However, this time it forced me to give up one of the three devices I used to connect to Evernote in the past (big and unpleasant surprise with 6.13). I removed my cellphone, but it did not help with my own laptop state, the note list remained empty.

Then I tried some of the support website 'medicine':

1. Restarted my laptop - did not help.
  2. Reinstalled the latest release from Evernote website - nope.
  3. Removed Evernote from my cellphone (you never know) - nyet!

Meanwhile, I checked the content of the Evernote library on my laptop and saw that all notes are still there. Yet my attempt to open them directly got me the strange answer (more or less precise translation):

• "You are disconnected from the account this note belongs to. Reconnect and try again" 

Very strange as I could see some of the older notes open on my spouse's laptop under that same Evernote account.

Finally, this morning I saw a sync can be forced which helped me recover all my notes from Evernote servers, yet it solves the problem only partially. I have a huge amount of local notes that I cannot use right now.

Any idea how I can:

• check the current identity of the account on my disk which I suspect might have changed,
  • force Evernote to reintegrate its state saved on my disk,
  • retrieve the local notes from my last backup?

Many thanks in advance.

O.

On 11/22/2017 at 11:01 AM, LStar said:

Hi, I updated yesterday to version 6.13.1 of Evernote and I can't print titles anymore. This is really frustrating because I do need titles to be there.

Can you please advise? Thank you.

Work with MAC OS Sierra version 10.12.6

Same problem here. It happened before in an earlier version about a year ago, and it took a couple of months to get fixed in a following update. I'd be very grateful if it can get fixed faster this time. BTW, it'd be a good idea to keep this problem in mind in future updates, as it won't look good to repeat the same mistake 3 times. Thank you. 

On 24-11-2017 at 12:30 AM, Anth0ny said:

Evernote on my mac forced an login an update to 

Evernote (6.13.1) is currently the newest version available.

On macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.1

No screen shows .... and file shows no access?

Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 10.23.26 am.png

Have the same thing updating today on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, any updates

Hello all,

I have two issues with version 6.13:

First like others, when printing the title headline is missing.

Second: When printing tables in former versions the width of the columns where correctly formatted so that all columns were visible on the print. Now columns are not visible on the print although they are correct formated on the note. (See pictures)

Orginal Note.tiff

Print_Priview.tiff

On 12/5/2017 at 11:10 AM, MarkRiver said:

Hi there,

I'm using latest evernote version on macbook version 10.11.6. When I search for a word among over 800 notes, I'm getting 0 or very limited returns. This does not happen for internet version of evernote. When I uninstall and reinstall evernote, the same thing happens.  Please help.

Thanks,

Mark

Same here. Search is failing miserably, frequently turning up zero hits for words that are heavily represented in my notes.

Guys. I loved EN, sang its praises from the rooftops for years, but for a paid premium subscription, some of these bugs are beyond the pale. 

• Level 5*
On 2017-12-05 at 9:10 AM, MarkRiver said:

When I search for a word among over 800 notes, I'm getting 0 or very limited returns. This does not happen for internet version of evernote. When I uninstall and reinstall evernote, the same thing happens.

25 minutes ago, PaperQueen said:

Same here. Search is failing miserably, frequently turning up zero hits for words that are heavily represented in my notes.

Here's my solution to search index problems

macOS High Sierrra – Version 10.13.1
in combination Evernote (6.13.1)

Hello, since today's UpDate, the headline is missing in the printout of the note
  • headline of the note, -subject, -created, -changed!
    Also, the German hotline can not help and refers to this forum in the beta area?
    Does somebody has any idea?
    Because a note without a head is stupid.

For further explanation please have a screenshot here again,
    to recognize that the „headers“ are completely missing?

Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-29 um 10.52.05.png

On 12/9/2017 at 9:54 PM, RBBSRQ said:

You have to be kidding.  you issue a release that makes things worse i.e. stops printing titles, and you don't fix it immediately.  This is not a freebee program, I pay for support and relay on evernote.  The product is great buy you have to to fix bugs right away or you will not be in business for long

Please tell me hone this bug will be fixed.  

The Title printing issue is fixed in 6.13.2

On 11/21/2017 at 7:33 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

Note: If you see a particular note that is failing to sync, try to make a change to the note - add any character click the sync button. We've found that in many cases this resolves issues. If issues still persist, please contact support or post here.

Hi Chantal,

would it make sense to implement some features in the software that checks for itself on a regular basis if all notes are in sync and if not just reloads the faulty note?

What you proposed seems like a workaround at best, but I would expect a software to run mostly autonomously and checking something for completeness, seems a perfect task for a software to take care of. Especially if syncing is at the heart of that software's purpose. Just thinking out loud.

Regards,

Dietrich

You have to be kidding.  you issue a release that makes things worse i.e. stops printing titles, and you don't fix it immediately.  This is not a freebee program, I pay for support and relay on evernote.  The product is great buy you have to to fix bugs right away or you will not be in business for long

Please tell me hone this bug will be fixed.  

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, williamsgv27 said:

I updated to 6.13.1 on my Mac (running Sierra 10.12.6), and now the app will not open.

I uninstalled & re-installed & have restarted my machine - still the app won't open.

Any ideas?

Here's a link to  my solution  process

On 11/21/2017 at 3:47 PM, nicolml said:

It's a rare issue when comparing the frequency of occurrence of this bug with other ones we prioritized in this update, but in no way I meant to dismiss it as not being important. This issue is being addressed right now. Stay tuned on upcoming updates. 

@nicolml

This was 2 weeks ago. Still waiting on that update...

• Level 5*
On 11/21/2017 at 2:47 PM, nicolml said:

It's a rare issue when comparing the frequency of occurrence of this bug with other ones we prioritized in this update,

Definition of "Rare Bug":  A bug that bites others but not me.  LOL

Just having a little fun.   ;)

PLEASE stabilize the EN-Editor !!!

Those small bugs that are in the Editor for months now, are a bit of a plague.
Please track them and solve them one by one!

But now there is new level of Problem starting to show up !!!

I have one more or less complex Note with several PDF's within tables.
One of those PDF's in this note is now overlaying my whole note in EN-Mac 6.13.1.
I cannot edit the note anymore, except for removing the PDF which kills the whole content of this note!!!

EN-Web shows this same note with the PDF on the correct position as it was always.

Are you going to substantially fix the EN-Editor soon or do you intend to kill Evernote ... ???

And please don't bring up the "advice" to step down to an older Version of Evernote - there is no stable Version available - each one has it's own problems ... :angry:

It is now 2.5 years ago (v6.0.11) since i started to note which versions of EN-Mac i did install ... each one of them promised to solve some problems but introduced new ones!
What keeps me to stay with Evernote at the moment are my 3'800 notes and a good basic concept ... but there is only little hope left that there will be stable EN-Mac one day ...
I stopped to recommend Evernote to my work-companions and friends - instead i recommend them to start with alternatives like OneNote, DEVONthink, Bear, ...

On 11/22/2017 at 5:52 PM, Mark Daniels UK said:

I'm in the same boat – it was fixed a few versions back – now broken again :(

Seriously, is nobody planning on fixing this?

I need to print my notes soon and study for exams. Great time to break things! I moved from OneNote to Evernote due to its sloppiness and syncing issues, but it turns out Evernote isn't much better in this respect. This is not cool. That issue has been known for almost a month and I can't think of why it hasn't been fixed yet. :huh:

And here is another recent clipping that displays a lower resolution image than the original that was clipped, as well as distorted text. (Apologies for the depressing clips—it's my field.)

Version 6.13.1 (455785 Direct)

Web clipper 6.13 (ce36b9a/1.1.0.926)

Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 11.33.50.png

Unprocessed notes now re-spawning in 6.13.1 mac days after editing original. For instance, I added title and tags to a pdf of handwritten notes, then moved out of inbox to another notebook - now an unedited copy of that note has reappeared in the inbox. The edited version exists correctly in the other notebook, and the re-spawned, unedited version exists in the inbox.

5 hours ago, LStar said:

@LStar @Mark Daniels UK This has just been fixed on our end and will be out in a future update. 

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, bambooparadox said:

One of those PDF's in this note is now overlaying my whole note in EN-Mac 6.13.1.
I cannot edit the note anymore, except for removing the PDF which kills the whole content of this note!!!

Focusing on this one issue

If you post a .enex export of the note it would allow follow up into the issue

A work-around to allow editing the note

You should be able to right-click on the pdf and select "View as Attachment"

If the inline display isn't working, I would "Open With" an external app; Preview or Acrobat Reader

50 minutes ago, LStar said:

I'm in the same boat – it was fixed a few versions back – now broken again :(

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, janstet said:

There's also an "open ticket" on this issue from @DTLow.

Confirmed, I have ticket #2223326 open for the outstanding issue of a blank note list.  

As per @Nicolml, they're aware of the issue and working on a fix.  Thats good enough for me and I'm lookin forward to the solution

11 minutes ago, janstet said:

A rare issue? There's an entire thread on this bug from September 29th, 2017. There are screenshots in the thread below along with several other users who are experiencing the same issue. There's also an "open ticket" on this issue from @DTLow.

It's a rare issue when comparing the frequency of occurrence of this bug with other ones we prioritized in this update, but in no way I meant to dismiss it as not being important. This issue is being addressed right now. Stay tuned on upcoming updates. 

5 hours ago, nicolml said:

Can you DM me a screenshot and your logs? 
If you're on macOS 10.13.1, we're aware of a rare issue where your note list appears blank. Working on a fix. 

A rare issue? There's an entire thread on this bug from September 29th, 2017. There are screenshots in the thread below along with several other users who are experiencing the same issue. There's also an "open ticket" on this issue from @DTLow.

7 hours ago, janstet said:

@Chantal Leonard 

The "blank note" list bug is still present. This is starting to get ridiculous. Every time I change views from emptying the trash or processing my Evernote "Inbox" notebook the note list goes completely blank... 

Can you DM me a screenshot and your logs? 
If you're on macOS 10.13.1, we're aware of a rare issue where your note list appears blank. Working on a fix. 

On 11/27/2017 at 11:09 AM, adorno's gray said:

I guess this is how images are now supposed to display in EN. 

Hey there,

This is a bug in the text editor that we're working on a fix right now. It's normally created when clipping youtube URLs with the web clipper. As a workaround to fix it,  hover over any column, select the triangle and select "match note width". 

On 11/23/2017 at 8:32 PM, adorno's gray said:

Clipped images now appear distorted. See attached. I've yet to experience this issue until now.

Version 6.13.1 (455785 Direct)

Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 11.31.21.png

22 hours ago, adorno's gray said:

I guess this is how images are now supposed to display in EN. 

web app shows the images correctly. seems to be related to images/content inside TABLES. i opened a case a few weeks ago. team seems to be aware. it's a regression bug - meaning it had been fixed before reintroduced it in 6.13... 

super annoying if you have lots of notes in this format <_<

Oh, this is another glitch. After problems with sync I installed direct version 6.13.1 and it didn't work. I decided switch back to App Store version and, obviously, App Store just depicted an installation process. In App Store is still version 6.13 – Ce372R75Y5ZaLp6UwX81x80Gvu1eek.png

Evernote client version 6.13.1 (455785 Direct) from AppStore. Installation was on a new system with MacOS High Sierra (10.13.1).

Incomplete sync. Some notes don't sync and method "to make a change to the note" is not suitable (but this method works), there are too much notes unsynced.

What should I do?

23 minutes ago, nicolml said:

Hey there,

This is a bug in the text editor that we're working on a fix right now. It's normally created when clipping youtube URLs with the web clipper. As a workaround to fix it,  hover over any column, select the triangle and select "match note width". 

Cheers! Thank you @nicolml for the followup and temporary workaround.

Has anyone else experienced this app crashing when High Sierra was installed?  It now shows as open in the activity log but refuses to actually open or let me view any files on my mac :(

Surprisingly the little icon on the menu bar that allows you to do quick notes allows me to write and view the quick notes that I had left on there as these hadn't yet been saved to Evernote but that's it.

Tried, resetting,  uninstalling and reinstalling nothing works...I need the information for my work, but it simply isn't letting me access any of my notes.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Metrodon said:

1. Drag a PDF to the Evernote dock icon
  2. Evernote creates a new note in the default notebook and opens the note
  3. Move the note to a different notebook using the notebook dropdown in the top left hand corner

I end up with 2 notes, one in the notebook it should be and a duplicate in the trash.

I was unable to duplicate your results.  They seem to be two separate actions (import, move notebook)

Alright, allow me to get a bit long-winded here... I think I might be onto something here and I'm looking for second opinions.

I've been experiencing some bugs and weird behavior with Evernote ever since the later 6.12 updates. Myself and other users have already complained several times about the following:

• Prior to your decision to remove sync interval preferences, Evernote simply wasn't adhering to them. It synced randomly no matter what custom interval the user had set up in preferences.
  • The "waiting for sync" dialog window kept showing up upon quitting even when the user preferences were set up to give no warning of active syncing upon quitting.
  • Evernote suddenly "forgets" all user preferences, momentarily reverting everything back to default, including things like font size and display options (even the welcome pop-ups that you get when you open the application for the first time start popping up again). Usually, closing and reopening the application returns all of the user preferences, but still, very annoying. This happens OFTEN.

Now, what do all of those bugs have in common? I highlighted the key word there to make it more apparent... That's right. Maybe all of those bugs, including the old one where sync interval preferences were ignored, are actually THE SAME BUG. That bug is: Something is making Evernote "forget"/ignore user preferences, temporarily reverting everything back to the default settings. I don't know if it has anything to do with the recent OSX update to High Sierra, but it was around that time that I started noticing that weird behavior. Maybe that's something the Evernote team might want to take a look at? Is anybody else here who updated from Sierra to High Sierra experiencing those issues? Is anybody here who didn't update to High Sierra experiencing those issues? I've seen other people reporting that stuff before, so I know I'm not alone in this.

After updating to 16.13.1 and seeing that all of those bugs were still infesting the application, I lost my patience and decided to uninstall Evernote using AppCleaner and then do a full clean reinstall of the application, starting from scratch, just to see what would happen. To my surprise, ALL of that strange behavior and the bugs simply vanished... Temporarily, that is. The next day, Evernote started acting up again. All of those bugs and weird behavior returned, exactly as before. It was just the time it took for me to set up my preferences the way I like them and the bugs started appearing again. That's why I believe the source of most of those issues, if not all of them, is in how Evernote is saving and accessing user preferences.

I'm just putting this here because I honestly don't know what to do anymore. These bugs are annoying as hell and sometimes ruin my workflow, and the lack of acknowledgement about these issues around here is also starting to irritate me.

Anyway, thanks for listening!

• Level 5*

I think this may have been around for a while but I noticed it yesterday.

1. Drag a PDF to the Evernote dock icon
  2. Evernote creates a new note in the default notebook and opens the note
  3. Move the note to a different notebook using the notebook dropdown in the top left hand corner

I end up with 2 notes, one in the notebook it should be and a duplicate in the trash.

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

If you post a .enex export of the note it would allow follow up into the issue

Shure, if there is someone at Evernote looking into this problem, i am happy to share the .enex with them.

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

A work-around to allow editing the note

You should be able to right-click on the pdf and select "View as Attachment"

If the inline display isn't working, I would "Open With" an external app; Preview or Accrobat Reader

Yes i can preview the outer PDF as attachment, but the whole note is being shown as PDF-preview, not only the PDF itself - also in the Preview-app.

Overall that still leaves me with an uneditable note ...

2017-11-25_07-14-36.png.f707e4912fb9411d97bdc059f1da3e7d.png

To make things worse ... Evernote has converted the note to a PDF ... even in EN-Web it shows as one PDF :angry:

Archived