Jump to content
dberreby

What happened to "long press for audio"?

Recommended Posts

When I don't have the ability to type into my phone in the moment, I will record a spoken note. So I really valued being able to long-press the big green plus sign in order to get the audio option.

But in this latest version of Evernote, when I long-press the plus, I get only "Reminder," "Camera" and "Photo" icons as options. Now, to create audio in Evernote I have to (a) press the plus for a new note (b) press the carat that makes my keyboard disappear and (c) find the microphone symbol and press that. This rigamarole cancels out the purpose of making an audio note in a rush. I just hate it, because it's caused me to lose notes I wanted to make.

So, two questions:

(a) Is there a way to personalize the interface so I can get the microphone as an option on long-press?

and

(b) who thought this was a good idea to change? I have no use for the camera, photo, or reminder options but I used the audio option several times a week!

David

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, dberreby said:

But in this latest version of Evernote, when I long-press the plus, I get only "Reminder," "Camera" and "Photo" icons as options.

On my iPad with v8.6, I getF823E6D5-8AD8-4602-A750-409616237B70.jpeg.b704fcbf3b916f9b3dc06f5f7bb559c8.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting! Maybe the iPad app is different? Or maybe there is some setting I can adjust to see what you see? Because what I see is this: Untitled.pdf

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry, I don't know how to get an image to appear directly in my reply. But my point was, what I see is not what you see. On long-press on my iPhone 6 I don't have an audio option. Don't have an iPad so I can't test on my end.

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, dberreby said:

Interesting! Maybe the iPad app is different? Or maybe there is some setting I can adjust to see what you see? Because what I see is this: Untitled.pdf

I resurrected an old iPhone and confirmed your results.  There is no audio icon on the iPhone long-press

Share this post


Link to post

@dberreby

For whatever reason I get Audio, Photo and Reminder on my iPhone when I do long press, EN 8.6.  I don't know, but Camera and Photo seem a bit redundant to me?  Have you tested to be sure the icons aren't mislabeled?

A4E7F863-178A-457C-B3FF-BAD4054E7F34.thumb.jpg.19c8581f95b096813d87b298dd1dd767.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, that's odd. Are you on iOS 11.1.2 (the latest)? I have checked and the three buttons I see all do what they say they will do. Photos asks for access to photos, camera activates the camera and reminder brings up a screen to create a reminder.

I wonder if the system upgrade reset a setting that EN needs to access the mike? Microphone setting has permission for EN activated. Also, it IS possible for me to create an audio note. I just lack this crucial shortcut.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm on IOS 11.2, iPhone 6s.  Good question on mike access, I haven't made any changes that I can remember.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, Evernote microphone access is enabled and it is possible for me to make an audio note in EN. It's just the shortcut that has died. But without that shortcut, creating  audio is a three-step process, effectively killing the functionality. If I can stop and jump through those hoops, I might as well type. Curious that you aren't having this issue. On my iPhone 6, iOS 11.1.3, Evernote is up to date -- last update was yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post

@dberreby

Yeah, 8.6 EN here as well.  I was on the Apple Beta program until last week when I deleted the profile (on purpose).  So my 11.2 is slightly newer, don't know that would make any difference.  IAC, need feedback from some other 11.1.3 users for an exact answer.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, dberreby said:

(a) Is there a way to personalize the interface so I can get the microphone as an option on long-press?

Problem solved - I deleted the Evernote app and reinstalledIMG_0461.jpg.ac191f6ac40d2293eaa1f50bc221198b.jpg

But - lost the reminder icon

Share this post


Link to post

Thought of doing that but figure it will be a pain for Evernote to resync with my phone. Still, if that's the only way...

Seems weird though that you have both pictures and camera but  no 'reminder'

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Problem solved - I deleted the Evernote app and reinstalledIMG_0461.jpg.ac191f6ac40d2293eaa1f50bc221198b.jpg

But - lost the reminder icon

Maybe one more delete/reinstall and the reminder icon will return?  :wacko:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

Did the reminder icon reappear? I have EN 8.8 now on my iPhone 6 and I am not able to quickly add reminders anymore - which is the function I use most often. 

8DD4A5CE-8DC0-4A51-A0FD-07F6A206DF51.png

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MissArdbeg said:

Did the reminder icon reappear?

I'm on v8.8 and long press presents  Audio/Photo/Reminder

Share this post


Link to post

Hm. This is crazy. I now took the risk and deleted and reinstalled EN. Now I have Photo/Camera/Reminder. Glad that it is now that way, since I don’t need Audio, but it strange nevertheless. 

@EN team: Are the quick add options chosen randomly? It seems like it is a little different for different users, but until now I haven’t discovered a consistent pattern. 

2D9DF45D-D984-40DF-84AE-C8D91C00079F.png

Share this post


Link to post

I tweeted at Evernote about this a while back and got back this:

<<Thank you for the screenshot! I've confirmed with our team that we're looking into different options for the '+' button, so the audio button may be unavailable for some users. You should be able to add audio files from inside a note. I'll be sure to pass your feedback along! /AT>>

IOW instead of giving us a choice in settings EN is just arbitrarily switching around the options, and it's a lottery whether you get the ones you want. That's a lousy way to treat users.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, dberreby said:

we're looking into different options for the '+' button, so the audio button may be unavailable for some users

Thanks for posting the "installation roulette" explanationUnknown.png.cd0967f8a65b48501a8798e9a09a7338.png

Share this post


Link to post

More ready, fire, aim design constructs.  :(

Share this post


Link to post

Some of you got the desired buttons back after deleting/reinstalling the app. I had the perfect setup already and then lost the "long press for audio" option after that. I also now find that the '+' button always acts as if I had long pressed it. Previously, a regular press would create a text note, and a long press would bring up 3 useful options (including "new audio note").

Looks like I need to play installation roulette until I get a nice setup.

If Evernote is looking into different options for the '+' button, where do we give feedback about it?

How about something like this:

  • Regular press '+' button = create new text note
  • Long press '+' button = 4 different options that are customizable in settings (text note, audio note, camera, photo, handwriting, reminder, etc.)
  • The widget buttons are also customizable, either taking the settings above, or having their own settings

 

Edited by MrDotDot
Refined some details about my suggestion

Share this post


Link to post

I too will say I have been seein changes over the last number of versions. 

But with an iPhone 6S Plus I have 4 actions/icons (note, audio, camera, photo), does anyone else have this now?

I would rather see these rlfeatures transferred to the 3D Touch on the app icon than change them in the app itself. 

EC1208D8-A492-4427-BAB1-2FDD76B70F5F.png

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, macneilpi said:

I too will say I have been seein changes over the last number of versions. 

But with an iPhone 6S Plus I have 4 actions/icons (note, audio, camera, photo), does anyone else have this now?

I would rather see these rlfeatures transferred to the 3D Touch on the app icon than change them in the app itself. 

Not sure I get what you are asking, but

  1. If I press the 8A862FDC-0A3E-44BD-ADD9-948FC10AD5DD.jpg.49e815a0c1ad256d2d726e689cdb168a.jpg I go right to a new note.
  2. If I long press the 8A862FDC-0A3E-44BD-ADD9-948FC10AD5DD.jpg.49e815a0c1ad256d2d726e689cdb168a.jpg I get three note options, Audio, Photo and Reminder.

EN 8.9.361517 IOS 11.2.5 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, CalS said:

Not sure I get what you are asking, but

  1. If I press the 8A862FDC-0A3E-44BD-ADD9-948FC10AD5DD.jpg.49e815a0c1ad256d2d726e689cdb168a.jpg I go right to a new note.
  2. If I long press the 8A862FDC-0A3E-44BD-ADD9-948FC10AD5DD.jpg.49e815a0c1ad256d2d726e689cdb168a.jpg I get three note options, Audio, Photo and Reminder.

EN 8.9.361517 IOS 11.2.5 

I mean to be able to 3D touch the icon on the home screen WITHOUT opening the app. I want to unlock my phone, 3d press my EN icon and have "new audio" and "new list(checkbox)" as the options to the present - new note/take photo/set reminder/search/share EN

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, macneilpi said:

I mean to be able to 3D touch the icon on the home screen WITHOUT opening the app. I want to unlock my phone, 3d press my EN icon and have "new audio" and "new list(checkbox)" as the options to the present - new note/take photo/set reminder/search/share EN

Got it, thanks.  I put the EN widget at the top of the list on the widget screen so I can swipe right from the home screen and then press the note type of choice.  If EN isn't open on the phone it has to open first, but if EN is open it is pretty quick, FWIW.  Not as sexy as 3D touch though.

Share this post


Link to post

Yes but I am having several issues with the widget lately where it says it can’t load. 

And I didn’t see audio as a widget option. 

I use audio more that anything as I will want into a meeting and just turn it on so that I’m not frantically taking notes by hand or typing. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, macfixer said:

 

FWIW, on my iPhone I have these options. Maybe we're looking at an A/B test?

I have the same three in the app, four in the widget.

Share this post


Link to post

FWIW I have a 'select up to 6 actions' option on a "Customize the +" screen in Android settings... with Camera / Attachment / Audio / Reminder / Handwriting / Text Note.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

FWIW I have a 'select up to 6 actions' option on a "Customize the +" screen in Android settings... with Camera / Attachment / Audio / Reminder / Handwriting / Text Note.

Looking for converts?  ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, CalS said:

Looking for converts?  ;)

No,  just wondering whether iOS has the same range of options somewhere.  If not,  it's a big difference between the two ranges.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, gazumped said:

FWIW I have a 'select up to 6 actions' option on a "Customize the +" screen in Android settings... with Camera / Attachment / Audio / Reminder / Handwriting / Text Note.

 

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

No,  just wondering whether iOS has the same range of options somewhere.  If not,  it's a big difference between the two ranges.

There is no customization for the iOS widget buttons, unfortunately. That is something I would like to see (in addition to being able to customize the buttons that appear when long-pressing the '+' button, and in addition to being able to access those same customized buttons with a 3D touch from the home screen as macneilpi suggested).

I used to have both an Android and an iOS device and I always wondered why several features were very different between the two (sometimes better on Android and sometimes better on iOS).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...