I am very frustrated by the way EN text jumps around as I  edit notes. 

I appreciate that this has something to do with keeping notes sync'd, which is good, but I find myself slowed down and frustrated when it happens because every time it happens, and it happens every few seconds, I lose my place and have to stop to find it again.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, mikecox39 said:

Was there a specific platform where you experience this issue?

Moved to the Windows forum

• Level 5

Tools > Options > Synchronization offers some control over when notes sync. Is it possible that (as others have reported) this is the bug in which the cursor jumps to the note title on sync? I believe the fix (until the bug itself is fixed) is Tools > Options > Note > deselect Set new note focus to title. I could be off on that, though.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Tools > Options > Synchronization offers some control over when notes sync. Is it possible that (as others have reported) this is the bug in which the cursor jumps to the note title on sync? I believe the fix (until the bug itself is fixed) is Tools > Options > Note > deselect Set new note focus to title. I could be off on that, though.

Could be.  At the same time, don't know when it started, but EN began syncing outside the setting in options.  I think it had to do with trying to keep currency in the DB to prevent conflict issues.  For example, I noticed that if I sent an email to EN my desktop app would sync out of schedule  and the email would appear in my EN inbox, kind of like the sync was server initiated.  Also, any extensive note edits seem to generate syncs off schedule as well.  Not saying it is the case, but if you want to just stop syncs, the above works.  Modify the time if you want.  YMMV.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It was already deselected, apparently by default.

3 hours ago, CalS said:

May be more than you want, but the procedure below will let you stop ALL syncs for a designated period of time.  A workaround for sure, but it does perform nicely.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s186/sh/ec05ed88-ae37-457d-b188-399615a71449/00e5278c5643d9fe

Thanks, I will try that, but it seems like a lot of work to solve what appears to be a common problem or simple frustration.  Wonder why Tool/options are available to stop this from happening while editing notes.

• Level 5
14 minutes ago, mikecox39 said:

It was already deselected, apparently by default.

OK, well, that was all I had. :mellow:  As Cal said, Evernote will sometimes sync outside those settings anyway, assuming that sync is the cause of the problem. Can you give a little more detail about what happens and under what circumstances. It may be that others here have experienced something similar.

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, mikecox39 said:

Thanks, I will try that, but it seems like a lot of work to solve what appears to be a common problem or simple frustration.  Wonder why Tool/options are available to stop this from happening while editing notes.

Can't argue with this.  I'm not sure what the events are that trigger an out of schedule sync, but I'm sure sending an email to your EN account is one of them.  My Sync is set to 5 minutes and I have Instant sync set.  As a test I:

1. Manually synced.
  2. Forwarded an email to EN.,
  3. Started a stopwatch.
  4. 26.74 seconds later the email was in EN, didn't take 5 minutes.
  5. I turned off instant sync, did a File - Exit, restarted EN and repeated the above.  In 27.65 seconds the email was in EN.

So this is one outlier to sync options.  Don't know if there are others.  IAC, I modified the above to block syncing for 5 minutes when I know I am going to be doing some extensive editing.  Icon sits on the desktop.  Workaround for sure, but it helps.

On 11/19/2017 at 2:47 PM, mikecox39 said:

I appreciate that this has something to do with keeping notes sync'd, which is good, but I find myself slowed down and frustrated when it happens because every time it happens, and it happens every few seconds, I lose my place and have to stop to find it again.

I'm not sure if cursor leaps is what you meant or if you meant actual bodies of text jumping around.

I experience mostly weird cursor leaps. See my Evernote Cursor Leap Video.

Is there a particular event other than synchronization that triggers the problems you mentioned ?

11 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

I'm not sure if cursor leaps is what you meant or if you meant actual bodies of text jumping around.

Is there a particular event other than synchronization that triggers the problems you mentioned ?

I appears that the text is realigning while I type, it's isn't the cursor that jumps, it's the text around it.  I have the sync set to 5 min but it seems like the text I'm typing is trying to sync with the text that is in the cloud.  I will have to pay closer attention to this behavior so I can more accurately describe it in a f\u message.

• 4 months later...

I've observed a similar bug where the text would jump up and down by ~ 1 inch on my screen every few seconds while editing a note.  I'm not sure if this is the same problem that you are facing but unchecking the [Show context] box in the [Note] tab in Options caused my particular problem to stop. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/7/2018 at 3:20 PM, kuchida said:

I've observed a similar bug where the text would jump up and down by ~ 1 inch on my screen every few seconds while editing a note.  I'm not sure if this is the same problem that you are facing but unchecking the [Show context] box in the [Note] tab in Options caused my particular problem to stop. 

Newbie here asking for clarification. Am using EN on iPad and having the exact same issue as you described.

I am typing an edit and the text line I'm working on disappears from view and text either above or below is shown. If I scroll up or down I see that what I typed is there but can't see while working on. How did you find the "Options" tab to get to Notes/Show context box? I have looked all over and cannot find. Thank you!