How do I get recent notes to show up above Notebooks in Windows client?

How do I get my recent notes to show up above Notebooks in Windows client like the do in IOS?  Under View I have my Notebooks in the left panel, Shortcuts in the Toolbar and I want to see my recent notes displayed somewhere on the left hand side.  Any ideas please?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, FritzG said:

How do I get my recent notes to show up above Notebooks in Windows client like the do in IOS?  Under View I have my Notebooks in the left panel, Shortcuts in the Toolbar and I want to see my recent notes displayed somewhere on the left hand side.  Any ideas please?

Not sure you can in Windows.  You can add the forward/backward carets to the tool bar if you like.

ScreenClip.png.39d336cb54e2929e3ecdcf9de5e3440c.png

• Level 5*
On 2017-11-14 at 2:30 AM, FritzG said:

Thanks, am I the only one who gets frustrated by different functionality in each app / platform?!

Every time I reach for the mouse on my iPad 

I also miss the keyboard shortcuts; partially solved with an external keyboard

• Level 5
15 hours ago, FritzG said:

On the View menu, do you have Note List (F11) checked? That will display a list of notes between the notebooks and the individual note currently in focus. The list can be viewed and sorted in a variety of ways. With the Note List displayed, click the down arrow to the left of the Search Notes field. That will drop down a list of possible views and sort orders. Sorting by Updated in Reverse order will put the most recent ones at the top. You can either view the notes in a particular notebook (by clicking on it in the left panel), or use Ctrl+Shift+A (or click the All Notes icon in the toolbar) to see them all. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your response, yes, this is the standard view that I use, I just wish the last few notes were displayed on the left hand side above the Notebooks like it is on my Mac.  I really don't understand why the applications can't be the same across all platforms...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, FritzG said:

I really don't understand why the applications can't be the same across all platforms...

Age old question, not just for Evernote. Part of the reason is that while all platforms provide similar services, they're not identical, nor are their user interaction tools/conventions identical. Try pasting "why can't applications be the same across all platforms" into a web search. I thought that this result was interesting, or at least a place to start.

This is not a particular source of frustration to me. I use the Android client differently than I use the Windows client, and by and large, they don't need to be identical.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate what you are saying but I am talking about pretty basic things here and I am sure they could make them all the same if they wanted to.  Interesting that you use the clients differently, I'm the opposite, I want them to be the same so that it's seamless moving between platforms and devices.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, FritzG said:

Interesting that you use the clients differently, I'm the opposite, I want them to be the same so that it's seamless moving between platforms and devices.

I use Android mainly for viewing notes, not for creating notes, and even that in a fairly limited way. The desktop is where I create note and use them more actively. And I use reminder notes to keep notes in a sort of "notes I 'm currently interested in" state.

• Level 5*
On 12/22/2017 at 6:00 AM, FritzG said:

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate what you are saying but I am talking about pretty basic things here and I am sure they could make them all the same if they wanted to.  Interesting that you use the clients differently, I'm the opposite, I want them to be the same so that it's seamless moving between platforms and devices.

I guess as soon as I get a 24" iPhone it will be seamless....  ;) 

All joking aside, it is hard to have a standard presentation across devices.  I'm with Jeff.  I use the iDevice mostly for viewing and some minor editing/adding.  I use the desktop for all the heavy lifting.  Takes too long to enter anything on the mobiles, for me anyway.  I would agree there are some bits of functionality missing from the standard set across devices, in my view.

• 3 months later...
On 11/14/2017 at 11:30 AM, FritzG said:

Thanks, am I the only one who gets frustrated by different functionality in each app / platform?!

Same here... Navigating in windows is lacking behind compared to Mac... Recent Notes and cmd+J functionality are THE features for me why I love Evernote for Mac - within 2 seconds I find the note I want to work in. 

I don't think this is super-complicated functionality, really just a filtered view showing most recent changes....  Each time they do an update I hope for a change but nope, nothing changes, software gets more buggy....  E.g. latest issue is in lists where you edit a list, hit return to enter a new line item and it doesn't pick up auto uppercase on first letter and spell checking picks up the last work from the line above..... 

Not sure if this is Evernote or iOS but super annoying.

• 1 year later...

Long time paid Evernote user.

Just chatted with representative having topic of "I just opened Evernote on MSW10 as I'm on my way to transition from macOS to MSW. How do I enable "Recent notes"on left panel?".

The representative told me that MSW does not have such functionality, but "While we can’t commit to getting all feature requests into the product, we do rely on our community to tell us what they’d like to see in the future. We have a forum page [links to this forum] where loyal customers like you can share ideas to us." 

Here you go in the forum - add recent notes functionality in Windows client. How is listening to your customers doing lately?

Recent notes is such a useful feature to quickly navigate within Evernote. I find navigating through Windows much more difficult than Mac (cmd+J feature is better with more options + recent notes). My colleagues on Windows would love to see recent notes and improved ctrl+q... 

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, maartenvosselman said:

Recent notes is such a useful feature to quickly navigate within Evernote. I find navigating through Windows much more difficult than Mac (cmd+J feature is better with more options + recent notes). My colleagues on Windows would love to see recent notes and improved ctrl+q... 

Not the same as a list of recent notes but you an use the reverse caret in the tool bar or Alt + back arrow to navigate backwards through recently accessed notes.  The other caret or Alt + forward arrow to go forward.

ScreenClip.png.cfd7d60e945ebb15090517824527fe8c.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

For recently visited notes, about the only way is to use note history, as Cal suggests, with the additional tip that a long press on either of the note history toolbar buttons gives you a list of what's behind in the history stack, or what's ahead, so you can pick a specific note.

For recently created or updated notes, you could instead make a saved search, named, say "Recent Notes", and use a search filter of something like "any: created:week-1 updated:week-1", then save that as a shortcut, and access it wherever your shortcuts are displayed (in either a toolbar or at the top of the note panel above "All Notes").

Edit: note that there appears to be a bug in the note history related to tag searches (reported here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/122954-evernote-for-windows-623ga/#comment-558275).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CalS said:

ScreenClip.png.cfd7d60e945ebb15090517824527fe8c.png

Hey @CalS  How is it the 'User' drop-down on the menu bar doesn't also show your name, how do you make that happen?  Mine currently shows my Full Name to the right of the user-icon.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

How is it the 'User' drop-down on the menu bar doesn't also show your name, how do you make that happen?  Mine currently shows my Full Name to the right of the user-icon.

Just a guess, and I can't test it here at work, where I run only one account at a time, but maybe it's if you have more than one account enabled, as in shown in the File menu.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Hey @CalS  How is it the 'User' drop-down on the menu bar doesn't also show your name, how do you make that happen?  Mine currently shows my Full Name to the right of the user-icon.

If you right click on one of the icons in the tool bar you get a context menu and you can check/uncheck Show labels which should do the trick.

Image.png.eda835b8791b8683be8814f3055269a4.png

• Thanks 2
8 hours ago, CalS said:

click on one of the icons in the tool bar you get a context menu and you can check/uncheck Show labels

Yep that did the trick, thanks very much.  Whilst waiting for your reply i also tried shortening my full name online via profile settings, which partially did the trick.

I'm liking the extra room now provided in the toolbar that allows for more shortcuts...cheers

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Yep that did the trick, thanks very much.  Whilst waiting for your reply i also tried shortening my full name online via profile settings, which partially did the trick.

I'm liking the extra room now provided in the toolbar that allows for more shortcuts...cheers

You are welcome.  Ditto on the extra shortcuts...keeping the names short I got 15.  Nice to have that much one click action.

On 3/6/2020 at 3:00 AM, CalS said:

Nice to have that much one click action.

@CalS You probably already know about this, but FYI, I accidentally discovered a keyboard shortcut (in addition to mouse one click action) to access Toolbar shortcuts. Simply hit CTRL key plus a number/digit, so...

CTRL+1  (to open 1st shortcut),   CTRL+2  (to open 2nd shortcut) etc...  But with 15, or in my case 17 shortcuts, would prob need to add a number label/prefix to the toolbar shortcut to make using the keyboard shortcuts easy (that was a mouthful).  As it is, I only use a few keyboard shortcuts currently for 'New Note', 'On demand Sync' etc...cheers