Tim Kowal

Document Management in Evernote

Feel free to tell me if I'm straining the limits of Evernote, but here is what I'm trying to do:

I am preparing a brief to be filed in an appellate court, and I am using EN to prepare the supporting appendix -- basically, several hundred PDFs that I will be citing to in the brief. I have the individual PDFs in separate notes all in a separate notebook in EN so I can easily find them and work with them. But now that I am nearly ready to prepare the appendix itself, there are some preparations I need to perform on the PDFs, e.g., OCRing them and numbering them. Sure would be nice if there's a way to OCR them in a batch without subjecting a staff member to the repetitive-muscle-disorder-inducing task of opening, OCRing, and saving all of them one by one.

Are there any tricks that might help?

7 minutes ago, Tim Kowal said:

Sure would be nice if there's a way to OCR them in a batch

Possible solutions

• Use "save attachments" to export the PDFs to a folder and then perform batch operations.
  • Scripting; this would be do-able on my Mac

I don't ocr my pdfs but if I'm wondering why this wasn't done when the PDFs were imported

Just now, DTLow said:

Use "save attachments" to export the PDFs to a folder and then perform batch operations.

I'm familiar with this function, but it's only one-way -- i.e., there's no way to get them back into EN, except dragging them in one by one.

I would like to cast a vote for Evernote-integrated OCR. This should be standard functionality -- it will make the documents searchable and save a ton of space. At the very least, it should be an option when using Scannable. Thank you!