Change email address

I have done a google search but I still don't quite understand what is going on.

I started using Evernote yesterday.

The email address I signed up with is my main email address and I don't wish to use it with Evernote - I wish to change it to one which I don't use that often (just in case there is a security breach!).

Which I have done (using the Windows Evernote app on my laptop).

I also have the Android app on my smartphone.

The Evernote app on my laptop is still showing my old email address, but when I hover over my old email address it shows the new one I changed it to.

I want it to show the new email address all the time - I don't want to see the original email address when I first created an account with Evernote.

The other problem is that my username is the first part of my original email address which I don't want - do I need a username (what is it used for?) and if I do, can I change it to something else?

Everything was working as it should, syncing between laptop and mobile phone, I'm just wondering if I have messed something up and if it's possible to change my email back to what is was originally (which I don't really want) but if I have to then I will.

Could someone tell me what I have to change and in what sequence on my laptop and mobile so that I only show one email address.

What I would like is no trace of my original email address on the Evernote apps (windows and android).

Do I need to delete cookies from my laptop for the old email imformation to be removed?

I would also like all trace of my original email address deleted off the Evernote servers.

I am most probably making a bigger deal out of this than I should, but if someone could explain what is happening that would be great.

I only have basic computer skills, so please be patient :)

Thanks

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forum.  You say you changed your email address using your desktop app - you should check your details via this link.  Making changes to most things should be possible through that web page,  which is your My Account page at Evernote.com.  If you really wish all trace of your previously entered information to be removed,  and if you have any difficulty with that link,  you will need to raise a support ticket (see below).  If you're unsure what you're doing,  don't delete or remove anything from your devices without specific instructions what to do or you risk being locked out of the account or deleting all your data.  If you don't have any data stored yet,  one way to get your new details on the account would be just to register another account and ask Evernote (via support) to delete the old one...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,
I have read several of the posts on this forum and replies but am still not clearly seeing how to correct a problem. I established Evernote on my computer several weeks ago (am loving using it). Today I decided to install the Evernote app on my android phone. After it installed (never asked me during install what email to use) I noticed it picked up and is using an old email address that I rarely use as my account email.

So as suggested I have gone to the web dashboard/account summary/security summary/email address and clicked Change Email but it will not let me change the email to the one that my Evernote on my phone is using. If I go to my app on my phone under Account it is grayed out and I cannot update from there either. So - How do I get my Evernote on my mobile phone synced up to my Everynote on my computer?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Best Regards,
Ruth

• Level 5*

Hello,

I have read several of the posts on this forum and replies but am still not clearly seeing how to correct a problem. I established Evernote on my computer several weeks ago (am loving using it). Today I decided to install the Evernote app on my android phone. After it installed (never asked me during install what email to use) I noticed it picked up and is using an old email address that I rarely use as my account email.

So as suggested I have gone to the web dashboard/account summary/security summary/email address and clicked Change Email but it will not let me change the email to the one that my Evernote on my phone is using. If I go to my app on my phone under Account it is grayed out and I cannot update from there either. So - How do I get my Evernote on my mobile phone synced up to my Everynote on my computer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best Regards,

Ruth

Hi.  On your Android 'phone open Evernote,  press and hold the white "All Notes" screen and slide it to the right (Swipe it to the right).  You should see a grey screen with your name at the top and a small 'drop down' white triangle to the right of your name.  Tap the triangle.  Choose Sign Out from the next menu.  Sign back in with the same details your desktop computer uses.  Your phone should then download ("Sync") your existing notes - or at least an index to them - down to the phone.  As long as you have a network connection you should be able to search for and edit any of your existing notes,  and create new ones.

WooHoo! Thank You gazumped that was the exact answer I was looking for.

So for those that may eventually end up on this page cause they had the same issue as me here is the scenario:

1. Download and install app to your android phone (take note it will not ask you for an email address but it will select one of your email addresses that is yours on your phone.

2. Don't freak out when you go to use it for the first time and your wondering why it is not syncing up with your Evernote that is on your computer.

3. Again don't freak out when you look and notice the email address they are using is one you haven't used for a long time and you scratch your head wondering "how did they randomly select that one to use"?

4. Do as gazumped so kindly shared with me (you can read his details above) - simply log out of Evernote and then logged back in with your details that you use on your computer Evernote account.

Again Thank You gazumped for taking the time to answer my post - it is very much appreciated!

Best Regards,

Ruth

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*

gazumped, How exactly does one contact support to delete all account info?  I don't see anything on this page.  https://evernote.com/contact/support/

The "Contact" link at the bottom just provides a list of physical addresses.  Are we supposed to snail mail a note?  

Thanks for clarifying.  

Click on the "Get Started" button.

gazumped, How exactly does one contact support to delete all account info?  I don't see anything on this page.  https://evernote.com/contact/support/

The "Contact" link at the bottom just provides a list of physical addresses.  Are we supposed to snail mail a note?  

Thanks for clarifying.  

Click on the "Get Started" button.

Huh?  I'm trying to have my email address deleted from the system, just as gazumped said that we can do.  The website also says that we can do this, but it sends me in an endless loop of links as I pursue the contact information. 

• 1 year later...

I signed up many years ago with email address #1. I now want to change it to email address #2.

Accidentally I signed up for a new account with address #2, and I have since deactivated that account.

When I try and change the address in account with address #1 to #2 I get an message saying that it is in use.

How can I change it?

• Level 5*

Reactivate the account,  change the email address,  then you can re-use it elsewhere.

To reactivate an inactive account, just login using the inactive username and password, then follow the instructions.

• 10 months later...

I have been an evernote user since 2010. Most of that time I have been premium.

Somehow I have ended up with TWO evernote accounts .

One is linked to my correct email that I have used for almost 10 years.

The Premium account is linked to an email that is non existent.

I can log into both accounts.

I want to have one account that uses my correct email but when I try to change it....I get "email already in use"

Evernote keeps trying to get me to verify the bad email address......of course I cant log into it .....

I believe evernote is sending email to the bad email.

Help Please

Thank you DTLow,

I have tried that but never gotten a response .....I am assuming they are replying to the bad email. I have even asked them to respond to my correct email. The one that "does not exhist" according to google. I feel like Im in an endless loop.

I dont mean to be ugly....but there is no problem billing my credit card for premium service......I dont ming handling through the support portal....but i think its about time for some phone support.

I am not certain...but I believe the two account situation started when I let Premium lapse for a year and then restarted.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, rhettduke said:

I have tried that but never gotten a response

Whenever I've used support chat, I had no problem contacting support staff.

When creating a support ticket, I got an automated email response back in a short time, with later contact by an employee.

On 4/28/2016 at 5:03 PM, DTLow said:

I'd recommend contacting support.

There is a link below this post in my signature section.

Where's the link? I'm having the same problem. I want to change email accounts and it's telling me that my desired email address is already in use.

On April 28, 2016 at 3:58 PM, rhettduke said:

I want to have one account that uses my correct email but when I try to change it....I get "email already in use"

Evernote keeps trying to get me to verify the bad email address......of course I cant log into it .....

Help Please

Hey @rhettduke,

What was the ticket number you received, I can look into that further. Thanks!

I don't have premium. so I can't contact Evernote support I still need to change my email address and I still get the message that the email address I want to change it to is already in use. :-(

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, klavey13 said:

I don't have premium. so I can't contact Evernote support I still need to change my email address and I still get the message that the email address I want to change it to is already in use. :-(

This might help https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004757 (How to swap the email addresses between two separate Evernote accounts)

• 4 months later...

Hey @ralphscrzythoughts,

Which web browser are you experiencing this in? Are you able to successfully update the email address if you try another web browser? Please also note, even if the email address associated with your Evernote account is no longer active, Evernote sees it as more of a login username, so you can continue to sign into the account.

• 1 month later...

from April of this year.....

Help Please

I tried various advice and just made my problem worse.

its probably my fault that this has been caused.

I am getting wary of providing more publicly displayed contact info......I have a new ticket

Your issue has been assigned support ticket #1895677

• 3 months later...

I have a similar but not-quite-the-same problem. I'm a long-time Premium User and am a big fan of Evernote. Recently I changed both my email address and my password in account settings using Evernote Desktop, and I am able to login to my account on different devices using the new email and password. However, when I look at my account settings it still shows my old email address. When I click on Manage Email Addresses it wants my password, but neither my new nor my old password work. I appear to be stuck in a loop between changed email addresses and passwords. Suggestions?

• Level 5*

@axis777 - We're not Evernote as such here,  just a (mostly) user-supported forum.  We don't have access to account records or password information.  If you're a paying subscriber it's a good idea to contact support directly at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (premium subscribers can chat from the same link) - or anyone can message them on Twitter via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps 

• 3 months later...

Hi Community, 

I'm reaching out to you because I I have found it impossible to receive help from Evernote Support. My problem is stated below

• I changed my email address just over 2 years ago because we changed our business name 
  • I wished to update my Evernote account settings to reflect the new email address
  • I was unable to change the email address in my account settings to the new email address. It just wouldn't process the request
  • I started a new Evernote account with the new email address as a solution
  • All my devices automatically opened the old account, so i just continued using the old account. Plus I have a lot of content on there
  • Additionally now, the old account can't edit to my new email address because there is an account (my new one) with the same email address 
  • The old account is ineffective at communicating with Evernote because all responses are sent to the old email address which is now inactive
  • I had a glimmer of hope once I tried communicating with Evernote via their FB Page. Someone called Dorothy responded with some great solution ideas
  • Dorothy's suggestion: Login to new account - shut down/deactivate new account - login to old account - change email address now there is no competing email address from new account - problem should be resolved
  • Dorothy also picked up that I had 2 support tickets from July 2016 and February 2017. No one ever responded to these tickets
  • Problem: Every time I attempt to open the new account to follow these instructions I receive a red pop up stating that the new account has been deactivated and would I like to reactivate it? There is no action for reactivating so I am stopped at this point

Can anyone offer any solutions for me? 

Any help will be gratefully accepted.

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 12.52.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 10.55.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 10.47.45 AM.png

Hi @Kerryn Howell--deepest apologies we haven't been able to get back to you--it looks like we've sent replies to your old email and not your new one. I've gone ahead and created a new ticket for you, cc'ing your new email address, so you should receive a reply. I have also escalated in our queue for someone to check out ASAP. We'll likely want to check out that reactivation flow, but first we'll also want to get your account access sorted. Please do reach out to me if you do not receive the new ticket info from us.

My Evernote Premium account is associated with one of my email addresses on (PC and Android phone), and I want to change it to a different email address, but Evernote says that address is already in use. I have no idea how that is the case, or how to track how it might have happened. But it certainly wont let me change to it. How can I force it to change?

• Level 5*
On 2017-06-28 at 9:18 PM, squeakoz said:

My Evernote Premium account is associated with one of my email addresses on (PC and Android phone), and I want to change it to a different email address, but Evernote says that address is already in use. I have no idea how that is the case, or how to track how it might have happened. But it certainly wont let me change to it. How can I force it to change?

You probably don't know password so click on "Lost Password"

Once you have access to the unknown account, change the email address so it's now available to be used. You need a throw-away email address for this

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived