EN extremely slow after Win 10 Fall Creators Update (SOLVED)

My issue is that for a week now my Evernote Windows Client is extremely slow. Each action hangs it for couple of seconds (2..10 sec).

It seems to be correlated with installation of windows' "Fall Creators Update".

Symptoms:
- EN takes whole CPU (100% of one core, 25% of whole 4 core processor) after each action.
- Actions that trigger the high cpu usage: clicking on note, filtering, changing reminder date, scrolling list of reminders, scrolling list of notebooks
- Scrolling list of reminders without a change of selected note also triggers high usage.
- Even moving a  cursor over a list of reminders results in a "reminder hover style" to lag behind the cursor
- Clicking on a note triggers the problem and note content is shown after 2-10sec!
- Writing to a note is usually normal, but sometimes it lags a great deal
- Sync operation works normally as always (it isn't slow!)
- It seems that just UI is slow;
- The rest of operating system and other programs work OK, only Evernote is that slow
- I'm using EN for many years and I've never had similar problems

Info:
- Windows 10 64 bit with Fall Creators Update
- note count: 1000 (no big change here)
- on Android client everything works OK as always
- disk: SSHD (SSD hybrid)
- It all started with current public version of EN (6.7.5)
- 2 weeks ago Evernote was FAST.

That I've tried:
- installing Beta changes nothing ( Evernote_6.8.4.6134.exe )
- optimizing DB and other action from CTRL+HELP menu -> no change;;
- deleting evernote DB folder and downloading everything again -> no change;
- removing all notes from trash;
- compatibility mode to "Windows 8" seems to get things worse;

I am having the same problem. I never would have thought of attributing it to the Fall Creators Update but now it makes sense. I have all the same symptoms. I have tried your first 3 things in your list. I still have the problem. I had a huge database file (Just under 10 GB). Now I have turned on "Purge rarely viewed note content" older than 180 days and enabled all the Synch options including On Demand. Now my database file is 375 MB.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, dconnet said:

We noticed that too. Has to do with drawing the (darn) custom scroll bar. (Oh, did I just say that in my outside voice?) I believe the fix is in the next beta.

Will that include the scroll bar actually taking you to where you want in a long list, as opposed to bouncing back up in the list?  :)

I'm the author of this post and 2 days ago I wanted to write, that the problem had fixed, BUT it's good that I waited a bit.

What I did, after writing this post, was:
- try to download newest windows updates (there were none);
- update antivirus (Avast), and there were a huge update waiting.

After rebooting the computer, Evernote has speed up! BUT is lasted only for one day :(

Although it seems to be better then originally, the problem is still there. Yesterday I even deleted a wrong note, because I had switch the selection and hit delete, but it applied to the old note, not the newest selection :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017 at 5:25 PM, dconnet said:

We noticed that too. Has to do with drawing the (darn) custom scroll bar. (Oh, did I just say that in my outside voice?) I believe the fix is in the next beta.

So when might the beta to fix be available? My Evernote is virtually useless and I use it constantly for project tracking.  Everything I do pauses 2-3 seconds. I can't do my job with this.

OK, I think I can say that: THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED!
(at least for now)

It turned out that newest Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (year 2017) introduced some malware prevention software called "Control flow guard" (CFG) . Once it's turned off, Evernote gets fast again!

Instruction to turn this off: https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/96792-fall-creators-update-poor-performance-lagginess-fix.html

After computer reboot it should be much faster.

• Andrew2 changed the title to EN extremely slow after Win 10 Fall Creators Update (SOLVED)
3 hours ago, Andrew2 said:

OK, I think I can say that: THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED!
(at least for now)

It turned out that newest Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (year 2017) introduced some malware prevention software called "Control flow guard" (CFG) . Once it's turned off, Evernote gets fast again!

Instruction to turn this off: https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/96792-fall-creators-update-poor-performance-lagginess-fix.html

After computer reboot it should be much faster.

I have not been able to find a way to disable this on my system.  Searching Google has also provided no help.  I do not have the button referenced in the post.  Any other ideas?

Thanks

Rick

1 hour ago, TIddly27 said:

I have not been able to find a way to disable this on my system.  Searching Google has also provided no help.  I do not have the button referenced in the post.  Any other ideas?

Thanks

Rick

Step by step guide: https://stackoverflow.com/a/46913696/257470 (from second image).

If this option is not available, then maybe you don't have Fall Creators update?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, TIddly27 said:

Thanks for the info, I am at 1703 and I see the fall creator update is 1709.

Have a GREAT day!

Rick

Be aware that it took me a long time (about 18 hours) to get 1709 installed and running correctly. I found out that I needed to have the antivirus software turned off, which might have sped things up had I discovered that earlier. So, nothing to be ashamed of in sticking with 1703 for now!

• 1 month later...

Disabling CFG appears to have dramatically sped up my Evernote as well.  Unfortunately, it appears it's all or nothing—you can only disable it for the whole system.

Evernote: can you fix the interaction with CFG so it doesn't dramatically slow down things like copying notes between notebooks?

Archived